Large Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

cheers @abbandon but I'd feel decidedly uncomfortable using gear that expensive that belongs to someone else.

Accessories? I thought LF gear was pretty agnostic?

Sinar was / is expensive new but not so much secondhand.

Sinar was studios mainstay for decades no other LF company had anything like there market share and since the whole wod trys to go around convincing people a monorail is no use reolatively speaking its worth peanuts.

It could possibly be argued that the newer Arca gear is the best however it is expensive while Sinar gear is not and the compatability of Sinar gear is legendary bits from a 40 year old camera will still fit / be of use on the modern ones.

You can find anything for a Sinar fairly easilly and reasonably inexpensively thats not the case with most other makes and its the accessories that can make the system so useful from the filter holders to the binocular viewing hood so you don't need a darkcloth.

13765621505_36e0fb7d67_b.jpg

Its a 10x8 rather than 5x4 but you get the idea about the binocular viewer far more convienant that a darkcloth plus you can use proper rather than pretend spot metering on a Sinar.

The LF gear being drragged around there probably cost something like 25 000 when it was new I've probably paid maybe 3000 for it and 1800 of that is on two of the more exotic lenses the D600 and lenses in the smaller back pack are no doubt worth more than the pile of Sinar gear.

The F isn't being used for anything and isn't really worth much nor are the three lenses as they are dbm mounted you are more than welcome to have a go with it, it is not especailly pretty but entirely useable and I'm not going to cry should it get any more battered.

Some usefull info on LF cameras from B&H

http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/FrameW...ourceBookProPhoto/Section03aLgFormatField.pdf
http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/FrameW...SourceBookProPhoto/Section03bLgFormatView.pdf
http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/FrameW...ourceBookProPhoto/Section04LgFormatLenses.pdf

I agree that Sinar gear is plenty available and affordable, also much of the accessories (lensboards, shutters etc) also fit Horseman Cameras too, and although the Horsemans are heavy they are exceptionally well built.

Well then, the deed is done. Purchased the Arca, lens board and bellows @EdBray suggested. Now a lens and some DDS, I've not got the stuff from ffords as that extra will have me shot... I'll put a wanted ad up for a lens to keep TBY happy.

With the usual caveate of buying with paypal and expecting it to be knackered, how does this look?
http://www.rockycameras.com/--5x4-n...r-shutter-in-toyo-view-plate-8999-58607-p.asp

I've seen worse for more, it states the glass is good, it is also a double/triple focal length lens with 265mm f12 by removing the front element and a circa 310mm f12 element by removing the rear element (not an official focal length but it does work well, especially for portraits). I doubt the lensboard will fit though.

Ach its worth a go I suppose...
Please, if you do decide to buy from Rocky make sure that you get a screen grab of the web page and pay by paypal.

In my experience his descriptions aren't worth a toss!

Please, if you do decide to buy from Rocky make sure that you get a screen grab of the web page and pay by paypal.

In my experience his descriptions aren't worth a toss!
Yeah I read your thread a few times before deciding to gamble! Screen shot taken and paypal processed, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for something basically usable.

Well it arrived and it all looks good, well it did till I started playing with movements and the bellows have split in a few points. I am slightly concerned I over extended them while playing.

Also my tripod screw isn't long enough... But that's easily enough resolved...

And my bag bellows don't quite fit. I wonder if they're for a different camera.

Last edited:
I'm on the prowl for a large format camera, preferably a wista, or something with a Linhof board. (Not monorail though)
Anyone have any experience with them? I've got a 5x4 enlarger, 150mm lens, 5x4 developing tank.. so seems daft not to take up the format :p

I got the bag bellows to fit but I'll need to try and repair the standard bellows. How much of a restriction is working with just the bag going to be?

whats happened to the bellows. I split mine but just glued it back together with some impact adhesive and held it all in place with some clips while it dried. Look back a few posts to see an image of it all. Quite an easy repair.

Yeah I seen that, nice repair. Mine has little cracks or holes in the corners of the pleats where the bellows are stressed when rising.

does anyone use a sun shade instead of a black cloth? Something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ground-Glas...412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172364c94

Im trying to find something for my Wista but having no luck. Just wondering if theyre worth the effort.
My Crown Graphic has something similar. It's ok but not as effective as using a dark cloth. I have no trouble using a loupe as mine is similar to this one and is long enough to use even with the sun shade.

Sinar was / is expensive new but not so much secondhand.

Sinar was studios mainstay for decades no other LF company had anything like there market share and since the whole wod trys to go around convincing people a monorail is no use reolatively speaking its worth peanuts.

It could possibly be argued that the newer Arca gear is the best however it is expensive while Sinar gear is not and the compatability of Sinar gear is legendary bits from a 40 year old camera will still fit / be of use on the modern ones.

You can find anything for a Sinar fairly easilly and reasonably inexpensively thats not the case with most other makes and its the accessories that can make the system so useful from the filter holders to the binocular viewing hood so you don't need a darkcloth.

13765621505_36e0fb7d67_b.jpg

Its a 10x8 rather than 5x4 but you get the idea about the binocular viewer far more convienant that a darkcloth plus you can use proper rather than pretend spot metering on a Sinar.

The LF gear being drragged around there probably cost something like 25 000 when it was new I've probably paid maybe 3000 for it and 1800 of that is on two of the more exotic lenses the D600 and lenses in the smaller back pack are no doubt worth more than the pile of Sinar gear.

The F isn't being used for anything and isn't really worth much nor are the three lenses as they are dbm mounted you are more than welcome to have a go with it, it is not especailly pretty but entirely useable and I'm not going to cry should it get any more battered.

Some usefull info on LF cameras from B&H

http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/FrameW...ourceBookProPhoto/Section03aLgFormatField.pdf
http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/FrameW...SourceBookProPhoto/Section03bLgFormatView.pdf
http://cdn2.bhphotovideo.com/FrameW...ourceBookProPhoto/Section04LgFormatLenses.pdf

Jeez all that gear, even a trolley to carry it. :eek:

Well took it with me on a 12k walk this morning. Took a 4 frames, the first took a very long time to compose! After that I think I was starting to get the hang of it, find out when I scan the films. Did make a minor boooboo when I developed it, only put 600ml of soup in the tank and the top of the film is somwhat underdeveloped... Still even with the corner thats fine its still a bigger neg than the RB.

Edit: Doh, just remembered my old tank, its taller and uses more chemistry with a spiral but the 600ml would have been enough to completely cover the film.

Last edited:
Jeez all that gear, even a trolley to carry it. :eek:

With 30-40Kg of gear the trolley definately makes sense its either a on or off box fishing trolley I forget which I have killed various lightwieght folding sack trucks this is doing some what better. With 10x8 you have to consider the logistics of how you are going to get the camera to where you need it.

Or a mobile tripod..

"Item: One ancient, eight-passenger limousine with 5 x 9-foot camera platform on top."

..and some people complain about 'lugging' a DSLR with them!

ive got a good hiking rucksack from mountain hardware and taken the liner out of a crumpler shoulder bag and that fits with all the gear into the rucksack and makes carrying a tonne of kit quite easy

ive got a good hiking rucksack from mountain hardware and taken the liner out of a crumpler shoulder bag and that fits with all the gear into the rucksack and makes carrying a tonne of kit quite easy

I went a similar route; Lowe Alpine rucksack and f-stop inserts. Works a treat :)

Where did you get the inserts? I called the Paramo shop in Covent Garden and they said they only sold them with the ICUs.

I phoned them to see if they had any in stock (this was a good few months ago) and they said they had the ones I wanted. I had to go to London anyway to buy the bag, so I went and bought them in person. I suspect that they are lying to you tbh, as I asked them if I could phone up and buy more/different ones separately, and they said yes.

Thanks, Jonathan. I wonder if that's because I told them up front that I'd bought the bag second-hand so they knew they weren't getting a big sale out of it. No worries, I'll see if I can get somewhere by contacting f-stop direct.

just to rescue this from page god knows what since i had to search! Anyone know what this is....

It came with my 90mm Schneider lens. I thought it might of been a tool to unbolt it from the lens board but its not. So im not sure what it is!

DSCF4018

Thanks for bumping this up. I have no idea about your mystery piece either but I can give an update on this.

I'll see if I can get somewhere by contacting f-stop direct.

I didn't. The very nice chap who emailed me from the US said that they used to sell them separately but the policy changed last year and they don't any more. Oh, well.

just to rescue this from page god knows what since i had to search! Anyone know what this is....

It came with my 90mm Schneider lens. I thought it might of been a tool to unbolt it from the lens board but its not. So im not sure what it is!

DSCF4018

It's a lens cam for using the lens on a Linhof Technika camera, but unfortunately I don't think it's one of the valuable ones! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=LINHOF+cam

cool ta :) ive a wista so no use at all then! i wont lose it though.

Where is the best place to get 5x4 storage sheets? Only place I've seen is firstcall but their postage is somewhat excessive for a packet of sheets.

Aye that's what I need, guess I'll just have to careful with the few frames I manage to make till I'm ready to order some film.

Well my adventures in LF are going poorly. The size 0 shutter just broke, I think a spring went snap...

I don't have a board for my barely functional size 1 lens.

Looks like I'll have a lot of work for Miles.

Back