LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Just had a look at all your photos Tim and must say I like your thread a lot. Very good takes and quite... erm... original approach to subjects :). Keep up the good work mate.

beautiful - I like the artificialness and creepiness of that pose, certainly beautifully done!
low - A train! Nice photo though, I like the composition and the colour of the sky!

Beautiful - a great shot, though I know nothing of the game. But the image itself is nicely lit, and the model has a great expression, all in all a great take on the theme.
Low - thats a corker of an image, maybe one of the best silhouette images I've seen for a while. I can just about make out the crew in the carriages.

Cracking shot for low, and you can just make out some smoke coming out too.
Ta Dave. It's not too shabby I believe.
Just had a look at all your photos Tim and must say I like your thread a lot. Very good takes and quite... erm... original approach to subjects :). Keep up the good work mate.
Thanks Tom (I think ;) ) I thought I'd been quite on theme this year. A peak at my previous 52s may turn up some more alternative variations on the themes.
beautiful - I like the artificialness and creepiness of that pose, certainly beautifully done!
low - A train! Nice photo though, I like the composition and the colour of the sky!
I know - who'd have thought I would post an image of a train this year ;)
Beautiful - a great shot, though I know nothing of the game. But the image itself is nicely lit, and the model has a great expression, all in all a great take on the theme.
Low - thats a corker of an image, maybe one of the best silhouette images I've seen for a while. I can just about make out the crew in the carriages.
Ta Mandy. I quite like both images. I hope I'm improving at my people shots.

Week 19 - Match

A bit of a PABD this week I'm afraid.
Trying to marshal an 8 week old kitten and a 5 yr old cat into the same shot proved, well, problematic...
Add to that loosing evenings this week to work and well, this is what you get.

I did at least get the eyes sharp :) and they do somewhat match, in colour if not in size or behaviour.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 19 : Match
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Match - now who doesn't love a cute kitty cat shot, i agree i think you have nailed the focus on the eyes a treat. I can imagine the fun and games that may have occurred trying to get both cats in the shot at the same time.

Those cosplay costumes are getting better :p

Cute cats and they sort of match, onwards and upwards

Match - now who doesn't love a cute kitty cat shot, i agree i think you have nailed the focus on the eyes a treat. I can imagine the fun and games that may have occurred trying to get both cats in the shot at the same time.
Cheers Mandy. The older cat wasn't a problem, the kitten on the other hand...
Those cosplay costumes are getting better :p

Cute cats and they sort of match, onwards and upwards
Don't worry, I'm going to MCM London next weekend. I'm sure I can shoe-horn more cosplay in ;)

Kitties FTW :)

Don't even want to think of the witchcraft you had to perform to make them look so calm. Focus nailed, colors pleasant, composition spot on. At first I thought curtains in the bottom shot are distracting a bit, but they actually add some home feeling to the whole shot.

Tim

Matches the theme nicely in my eyes.
Good details in the faces and eyes nice and sharp.
Young one is cute but I prefer the look of the older, much more chilled out.

Pete

Good on 'ya for getting a shot in for match, we've all had weeks like that (y)

Kitties FTW :)
:)
Don't even want to think of the witchcraft you had to perform to make them look so calm. Focus nailed, colors pleasant, composition spot on. At first I thought curtains in the bottom shot are distracting a bit, but they actually add some home feeling to the whole shot.
Cheers for the comprehensive critique :) I love the look on the small one's face.
Tim

Matches the theme nicely in my eyes.
Good details in the faces and eyes nice and sharp.
Young one is cute but I prefer the look of the older, much more chilled out.

Pete
I'm not sure chilled out, more giving the kitten the evil eye ;)
Good on 'ya for getting a shot in for match, we've all had weeks like that (y)
Ta Chris
great shot for low Tim, like the faint colors.
It did come out quite nicely, didn't it.

I would lose the LHS and a bit off the right and the truss at the top to focus more on the musicians, but probably just me.

match - maybe PABD, but who doesn't like cute cats and kittens!
music - the cropped version for me, well composed and they are looking very relaxed as they are jazzing along...

Match ... two cat photos ... that's cheating. :rolleyes:

Quartet ... great stuff, just waiting to be snapped up. Looks sharp enough, the chap on the drums is the interesting one.

I like either version TBH, well seen, kind of gives the impression they have been doing it for years (which they probably have)

Yes much better
Ta. Sometimes you need that nudge to sort things out.
match - maybe PABD, but who doesn't like cute cats and kittens!
music - the cropped version for me, well composed and they are looking very relaxed as they are jazzing along...
Aye, the crop is better isn't it.
Match ... two cat photos ... that's cheating. :rolleyes:

Quartet ... great stuff, just waiting to be snapped up. Looks sharp enough, the chap on the drums is the interesting one.
I did take them both for the theme though, albeit eventually on different days.
The chap on the drums is my fav too. Almost out of it.
I like either version TBH, well seen, kind of gives the impression they have been doing it for years (which they probably have)
I suspect you're right there.

Match

Photographically they may not be inspirational, but you've got to live a feline photo.

Music

I like both and if you hadn't cropped it, I wouldn't have suggested it.

Tim

Music, Both versions of the Image work for me as they are of a familier scene around this time of years at village fates etc.The drummer looks asleep to me.

Pete

Hi Tim playing catch up again!

Match 2 lovely Kitty Cats

Music - Great image for the theme prefer the cropped version.

Match, both black cats so on theme. The music crop for me as it draws the viewer in more.
Cheers Dave. Allan was right about it needing more of a crop.
Thats because trombone is super super difficult........ lol.

+1 for the crop too.
I suspect I could drum a simple beat. I know I wouldn't get anything out of a trombone!
Match

Photographically they may not be inspirational, but you've got to live a feline photo.

Music

I like both and if you hadn't cropped it, I wouldn't have suggested it.
The music shot was already a crop. I had pondered if it wanted more. It was a difficult call, but I do think the tighter crop is better now.
Tim

Music, Both versions of the Image work for me as they are of a familier scene around this time of years at village fates etc.The drummer looks asleep to me.

Pete
Yeah, the drummer did make me chuckle.
Cat and kitten ....super photos Tim .. hope they're getting along okay together.
Music ...yes, that guy does look very sleepy doesn't he,I cant imagine someone nodding off while playing the drums!
The bigger cat is quite docile and is happy around kittens. The kitten torments him and gets a smack round the head from the larger cat's paw.
Hi Tim playing catch up again!

Match 2 lovely Kitty Cats

Music - Great image for the theme prefer the cropped version.
I suspect that now (2 weeks on) I could actually get both cats in the same shot :)

Week 21 - Hard (wearing)

A close up on a spare / dis-guarded wheelset.
These things have to be very hard wearing, considering they run steel on steel.
Deliberately taken with the shallow DoF to blur the background, and it's actually an HDR too, to cope with the dynamic range of the blacks vs the sky.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 21 : Hard
by Tim White, on Flickr

I always think rust adds great colour to a photo and the shallow DoF really keeps the eye on the wheel, nicely done.

Works for me, great textures in the rust, and well composed!

I agree works well did think about the cloning out of the orange blob but I don’t think it matters

Liking the colour on the wheel Tim, close up works well, personally if possible, I would have cloned out the lights in the bg.
I did ponder cloning out the lights right behind the wheel, but decided not to.
I always think rust adds great colour to a photo and the shallow DoF really keeps the eye on the wheel, nicely done.
Cheers Chris, plenty of rusty metal in the yard. My aim was to direct the eye with the DoF.
Works for me, great textures in the rust, and well composed!
Thanks Brrnd. There was plenty of clutter. I did spend some time working out the right sort of angle (not saying there wasn't a better one though...)
I agree works well did think about the cloning out of the orange blob but I don’t think it matters
Ta. Oddly, if I were to clone out any lights, it would have been the yard lights directly behind the wheel, not the warning beacon on the green digger.

Hard bit of heavy engineering, for sure. Yes BG colour could be easily sorted.

My method: copy&paste the pic on a new layer, desaturate the bottom layer then run a soft edged eraser over the green/orange on the top layer. :)

Hard is on theme nicely, the orange light does not bother me but I might of toned down the green a bit.
It really is that colour though.
Hard bit of heavy engineering, for sure. Yes BG colour could be easily sorted.

My method: copy&paste the pic on a new layer, desaturate the bottom layer then run a soft edged eraser over the green/orange on the top layer. :)
I've done something along those lines on one of my cosplay shots, to reduce distractions (well, I did it with a mask and adjustment layer - but same thing really).

Music - the edit nails it for me, much cleaner
Hard - like the depth of detail in this

Back