Lee`s or Hitechs?

tjc

Edit My Images
No
Hi all...

First off I`m sure this has been asked a million times so sorry for being boring. :p

But I was wondering if I could get some filter advice or recommendations.

I`ve been looking at Hitech filters but have also been considering Lee filters so I was wondering what you all thought of each make...

Which do you own? (If you don`t mind saying that is)

Which have you had the chance to use?

Would you go for soft or hard or a combination? Should I try and get an ND as well as some ND Grads?

Loads of questions but I`d appreciate some advice/recommendations please.

Hope you all had a good xmas.

tj. :)

Hi tjc

I use Hi-Techs ND Grads and they have been performing really well for there job intended. I would like a set of Lee's filters, but at the significant price difference and the fact the the Hi-Techs do the job really well, seems like a crazy idea imo to spend the extra money when I will not see much if any difference. I use the soft filters as I think they are better for me and my photography where my landscapes are flat horizons/sky divides.

I have a set of ND's also but have used them one maybe since i bought them 6-7 months ago.

HTH

Hi tjc

I use Hi-Techs ND Grads and they have been performing really well for there job intended. I would like a set of Lee's filters, but at the significant price difference and the fact the the Hi-Techs do the job really well, seems like a crazy idea imo to spend the extra money when I will not see much if any difference. I use the soft filters as I think they are better for me and my photography where my landscapes are flat horizons/sky divides.

I have a set of ND's also but have used them one maybe since i bought them 6-7 months ago.

HTH

Cheers for the reply and info devitt.

The Hitech`s do seem to be very good for sure and I`ve talked to people who use nothing else, but...

I do keep thinking though, that if I`m gonna spend money then I may as well try and get what many regard to be the "best" i.e, the Lee`s...

Mmm...

More thinking to do, lol.

Id say go with the Hi-Techs first. Your not going to loose out on much cash if you aren't pleased with the quality and results of them. Just my 2 pence worth though(y)

I do keep thinking though, that if I`m gonna spend money then I may as well try and get what many regard to be the "best" i.e, the Lee`s...

If I'd spent much more than necessary on a bit of see-through plastic I'd like to convince myself it was the best too.

Lee must have huge windows - they can see people coming a mile off ;)

Id say go with the Hi-Techs first. Your not going to loose out on much cash if you aren't pleased with the quality and results of them. Just my 2 pence worth though(y)

Thanks for your input devitt. :)

If I'd spent much more than necessary on a bit of see-through plastic I'd like to convince myself it was the best too.

Lee must have huge windows - they can see people coming a mile off ;)

Lol... :D

I see what your saying but I`ve also been told about glass filters... sposed to be much better than resin (plastic) but I`m new on this filter journey so :shrug: :)

Hitechs here too.

Simon

Cheers for the input :)

I use the hitechs and have had no problems with them.

The photos I posted on here tonight used the hitech filters.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=101713

Good results from my limited skills

Cheers PD_BARBS...

Very nice pics indeed and a notch for the Hitech`s I`d say... :)

no comparison on lee filtera worth a small fortune but worth every penny. however if your not working with top end glass then its not worth it as you wont rep the benefits from the better quality filter

Lee, and also Singh Ray, are at the top end of the scale in terms of quality but at a cost.

I've used HiTech and have found that to be a very cost effective way of getting a good set of soft ND grads at a reasonable cost - £30 for a set of 3 compared to £58 each for a Lee or £80 each for Singh Ray.

Remember that in addition to the filters you are also going to need a filter holder and also an adaptor rings to attach the holder to the lens - these rings are lens diameter specific. These are an additional cost to the filters. For HiTech filters you are best of using a Cokin filter holder and Lee for their own filters. In either brand of holders you can hold multiple filters if required.

Something to also bear in mind as well is that unfortunately, due to size differences between the HiTech and Lee filters, you cannot interchange components between the 2 systems.

For landscapes tend to use a 2 soft NDG the most - if you are doing seascapes you would find hard NDG more useful. Haven't tried it myself, but I recall reading in some thread of using the dark ends of several NDG filters together to give a ND effect filter.

Something to also bear in mind as well is that unfortunately, due to size differences between the HiTech and Lee filters, you cannot interchange components between the 2 systems.

:thinking:

There are lots of people on here using Lee holders with HiTech filters.

:thinking:

There are lots of people on here using Lee holders with HiTech filters.

Depends if you use the 85mm wide or 100mm wide Hitech filters. 100mm HiTech filters will fit into Lee holders but then they are not £30 for a set of 3 ND grads - more like £60.

I went with the 100mm HiTechs and the Lee holder and wide angle adapter. Like Erding says its around £60 for a set of 3 hard grads. I think I paid around £158 for the whole lot.

Simon

Thanks all for your input and info...

@ erding

Cheers. I`m gonna get 77mm wide angle adapter ring and a Lee filter holder. Just gotta decide on the filters, lol. Interesting tip about stacking the dark ends of the NDG`s to get an ND effect, never heard that one before...

Decisions, decisions...

:)

tjc,

This is the way I am going to go too. Where are you getting it all from?

Bought my Lee items from http://www.studiokitdirect.com/ and they are a pleasure to deal with e.g. ordered some more bits by phone on am of 24 December when they were not officially open and I received them this am.

tjc,

This is the way I am going to go too. Where are you getting it all from?

Hi Sara.

I`m going to getting it from Here

Seems to be the best prices I`ve come across, so far anyway. If you don`t mind me asking which filters are you thinking about?

***Edit***

Teamworks are +vat and carriage where as studiodirect are +vat but free carriage so that`s gonna make a bit of a difference. :)

What's the reason for using 100mm over 85mm?

I've got a Sigma 17-70mm and about to hit the order button.

TCJ and Swag72 I got all my stuff from Teamwork Photo and the delivery was pretty quick with good prices. To get me started I just went with the standard hard grad 3 pack set. 0.3, 0.6, 0.9. These are great for sunrise and sunset. To these I'll be adding a set of soft grads for daytime work and a set normal ND filters for general longer exposures.

Simon

TCJ and Swag72 I got all my stuff from Teamwork Photo and the delivery was pretty quick with good prices. To get me started I just went with the standard hard grad 3 pack set. 0.3, 0.6, 0.9. These are great for sunrise and sunset. To these I'll be adding a set of soft grads for daytime work and a set normal ND filters for general longer exposures.

Simon

Cheers SAuchterlonie.

As I said I was going to have a look at Teamwork but I think studiodirect might be slightly cheaper as you don`t pay carriage with them...

Still looking though. :)

Interesting, I have used both.

My first set of ND Grads were Hi-Tech's purchased from teamwork, great service and delivery.
Hi-Tech's are a great piece of kit and work very well, at the price they charge for a set of 3, you just can't go wrong.
Lee's are a step up in price and quality, so I decided to learn how to use ND Grad's using Hi-Tech's and then move over to Lee's when I was ready. I actually used the COKIN holder.

I now own Lee Filters and adore them. I actually use the HARD edge ND's a little more than the SOFT they seem to give a better contrast in the sky definition.
I have a .6 ND Grad SOFT and HARD and a .9 SOFT and HARD, so buy both, if you try Hi-Tech's first.
So my advice would be buy Hi-Tech's to start, you could sell them on when you have learnt your trade and switch over to Lee's when comfortable.

Interesting, I have used both.

My first set of ND Grads were Hi-Tech's purchased from teamwork, great service and delivery.
Hi-Tech's are a great piece of kit and work very well, at the price they charge for a set of 3, you just can't go wrong.
Lee's are a step up in price and quality, so I decided to learn how to use ND Grad's using Hi-Tech's and then move over to Lee's when I was ready. I actually used the COKIN holder.

I now own Lee Filters and adore them. I actually use the HARD edge ND's a little more than the SOFT they seem to give a better contrast in the sky definition.
I have a .6 ND Grad SOFT and HARD and a .9 SOFT and HARD, so buy both, if you try Hi-Tech's first.
So my advice would be buy Hi-Tech's to start, you could sell them on when you have learnt your trade and switch over to Lee's when comfortable.

Thanks for your input chewyuk... very much appreciated. (y)

I reckon my decision is made though and I have money for Lee`s so just going to go for them and spoil myself... got a bit of cash for chrimbo so I`ll put it to good use. :)

Thinking on the soft ND Grad pack and maybe a .6 hard ND Grad too.

What's the reason for using 100mm over 85mm?

I've got a Sigma 17-70mm and about to hit the order button.

Less likelihood of vignetting when using wider angle lenses more than anything else.

I've used both and found that the Hi-tec ones are more neutral grey than the Cokin ones, but still not perfect. Having said that though, the Lee ones aren't perfect, especially if you're using a 3 stop ND and a couple of grads. On more than one occasion I've had to fiddle with the white balance to get the shot looking correct. That may be an issue with the camera and digital sensor than the filters though.

I finally settled on Hitech's from Teamwork. The set of 3 soft grads were about £40. A good place to start I reckon. Thanks for your help TJ and Puddleduck (y)

I finally settled on Hitech's from Teamwork. The set of 3 soft grads were about £40. A good place to start I reckon. Thanks for your help TJ and Puddleduck (y)

Cool...

Glad you got your decision made and got them sent for.

I`m sure you`ll have loads a fun. :D

Be sure to post some shots. ;)

I just ordered the 85mm HiTech set from teamwork for £38 inc delivery and a kood holder and ring for £7.98 inc delivery from Crooked imaging.

The holder has arrived today and looks like it does the job fine. Can't wait to get the filters now and I can venture out in the cold again for some mad reason. :confused:

I just ordered the 85mm HiTech set from teamwork for £38 inc delivery and a kood holder and ring for £7.98 inc delivery from Crooked imaging.

The holder has arrived today and looks like it does the job fine. Can't wait to get the filters now and I can venture out in the cold again for some mad reason. :confused:

Nice one...

Look forward to some pics.

Just thought I`d let ya all know my final decision.

Set of Lee soft ND Grads 1, 2 and 3 stops... Lee hard .6 ND Grad... Lee filter holder and 77mm wide angle adapter ring.

Just the waiting now.

Oh btw, got it all from studiodirect too. :)

Many thanks to everybody for advice/input/suggestions and help.

Hope you all have a good new year.

Cheers.

Just thought I`d let ya all know my final decision.

Set of Lee soft ND Grads 1, 2 and 3 stops... Lee hard .6 ND Grad... Lee filter holder and 77mm wide angle adapter ring.

Just the waiting now.

Oh btw, got it all from studiodirect too. :)

Many thanks to everybody for advice/input/suggestions and help.

Hope you all have a good new year.

Cheers.

do you mind if i ask what that lot cost you mate :shrug:

if not

:D

what did that lot cost you mate :D

md(y)

do you mind if i ask what that lot cost you mate :shrug:

if not

:D

what did that lot cost you mate :D

md(y)

Lol...

Np`s ..MD..

That lot cost me just over £260. :eek:

:clap:

I was lucky enough to get a few hundred for chrimbo pressies so that went towards all the new stuff I got too. :woot:

I've used HiTech and have found that to be a very cost effective way of getting a good set of soft ND grads at a reasonable cost - £30 for a set of 3 compared to £58 each for a Lee or £80 each for Singh Ray.

Remember that in addition to the filters you are also going to need a filter holder and also an adaptor rings to attach the holder to the lens - these rings are lens diameter specific. These are an additional cost to the filters. .

is a set of 3 new and where from, also where can i find holder's etc.?

p1tse...

I got all my stuff from Here

But I`m not sure if they do Hitech stuff... maybe only Lee.

But Here have Hitech`s so worth a look maybe. :)

Just got mine from Hitech and the set of 3 ND Grads were £30 +VAT and postage of £2.50 but ordered last night and dispatched this morning at 9.30am so great service

is a set of 3 new and where from, also where can i find holder's etc.?

You can HiTech filters from teamworks.co.uk. I used a Cokin BPW700A wide angle adaptor and also the Cokin adaptor rings - Cokin items came from warehouse express.

You can HiTech filters from teamworks.co.uk. I used a Cokin BPW700A wide angle adaptor and also the Cokin adaptor rings - Cokin items came from warehouse express.

I've been looking for something like this for some time. Can you confirm the size of filter you use in the Cokin BPW700A? I was thinking about getting 100mm but I suspect only the 85mm ones fit. Going smaller may not be a bad idea as you could buy the hard and soft grad sets in 85mm size for about the same price as just the soft grad set in 100mm.

Back