Lens for ice skating -confusion

Name
Helen
Edit My Images
Yes
Dont know if this is the correct forum - so apologies if it is not. Have finally got about 1k+ together for a decent 2.8 Canon lens - but am confused by the number of these on the market - can any of you help sort one out please ?

Not sure what a prime lens is - but going to read up on it now - I am assuming it will have to be one of the 70-200 f2.8 ones - but there are loads .... another question is IS or not as i have read somewhere that IS is not necessarily needed in movement sports - or have i misunderstood that ...??

Thanks for replying - and sorry if i sound like an idiot ! I am trying - but it is hard !

Right then a zoom will go from 70-200 where as a prime lens will be a set focal length IE 50mm, 100mm 500mm and so on.

IS is only used when your holding the camera and lens, when its on a tripod IS is switched off as there should be no movement when its on a tripod. It is up to you if your going to shoot in bright places then forgoing IS would be OK. I've got a 70-200 L F4 and its OK on bright days but trying to get sharp images at dusk is a little tricky at 200m.

Id like to recommend you look at the canon 70-200 L F2.8 its not as heavy as the IS model nor as expensive but will allow you to shoot in dimmer settings than the F4 versions.

I think for ice skating - I need an f2.8 - or so i gather ??? !!

I half looked into this some while back - but didn't have the cash .. now i have some - but it seems to not be going very far

I think i am talking to you on 2 forums !!

Last edited:
Would be struggling to get a 70-200f2.8 with IS for a grand i would of thought. but like you say IS isn't needed for moving sports. I'm looking at changing my 28-300L for one.

how about something like this the sigma 70-200f2.8 a lot less than your looking at spending so would always get a second lens or backup body with the difference if you havnt already got one.

Think you need to do a bit of research before forking out a grand + on lens.
Basically the 70-200 zoom would give you a good range of skaters over most of the rink with the 70 end useful for fairly close frame filling dancers (When skaters are in your face) or, if closer, picking up detail on face skates etc.
The 2.8 will allow you to shoot in places that are not too well lit, although you may have to up your ISO to get areasonably fast shutter speed.
I'm a Nikon shooter, however as I understand Cannon have a 70-200 2.8 with IS11 which would allow you to get more sharp shots. This lens has an older version with IS1 which you'd pick up cheaper.

Last edited:
Don't discount lens' from other manufacturers, I've just taken delivery of a new Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with OS for less than £900 and its exceeded my wildest dreams, IQ's fantastic even wide open, colours are brilliant and the AF with my 7D is lightning quick and accurate.

Last edited:
Think you need to do a bit of research before forking out a grand + on lens.

Absolutely !!! - my daughter ice skates in a synchronised team and i am sick of not being able to get any decent shots of her with the equipment I currently have Canon 400D + Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3.
She will finish this in a couple of years and I would like to have some satisfaction in my photos before she does.

My boys play baseball and although i can get some decent shots - they are (I feel) limited by my equipment

If I go into a camera shop - they will sell me anything !!!

Do I need the IS for taking pics of skaters in motion ?

Last edited:
Don't discount lens' from other manufacturers, I've just taken delivery of a new Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with OS for less than £900 and its exceeded my wildest dreams, IQ's fantastic even wide open, colours are brilliant and the AF with my 7D is lightning quick and accurate.

Thanks for that - am going to go and look at this

thanks - looks like i may have just missed that one _ !
so do you think that lens would suit ?

Last edited:
Only sigmas i have used is the 10-20 24-70 and a 100-300f4. from a quality point of view they are excellent. the 10-20 and 100-300f4 are fantastic lenses, i don't like my 24-70 just because its not the HSM model so the motor is a bit noisy but pic qualities are superb.

if you get something like that it leaves you with about £500 to spend on others toys like an extender to give you some more reach for the baseball.

Only sigmas i have used is the 10-20 24-70 and a 100-300f4. from a quality point of view they are excellent. the 10-20 and 100-300f4 are fantastic lenses, i don't like my 24-70 just because its not the HSM model so the motor is a bit noisy but pic qualities are superb.

if you get something like that it leaves you with about £500 to spend on others toys like an extender to give you some more reach for the baseball.

mmmmm interesting !

I have heard no mention of Tamron on here - is that because they are far more inferior to the Sigma

As someone who shoots ice skating for a living I can stronly recomment the 70-200f2.8 and your correct regarding IS. I never use it for sport. If shooting synchro then shoot higher up for team shots then try moving closer to capture some closer up which can be quite effective.

Assuming your in Wales (!!!) then your team must be from Deeside or Cardiff and if competed at last years British I would have got some shots of them.

Originally from Wales - was exported to Nottingham and have talked to you in the past - at Sheffield mainly - !! yes we are always at Deeside and Sheffield and Dumfries and yes - your pics are fab !
so now ....
1. Canon or Sigma ??
2. if canon - then which one ?
can hardly do anything with the equipment i have at the moment and it's really frustrating

I assume the issue with photographing Ice Skaters in motion, is just that – it is the Ice Skater that is moving, and not the photographer! Unless you’re very brave and take to the ice camera in hand too!

On that basis, IS will be of very little or no benefit, even more so if you can make use of a monopod or stadium edge to support yourself.

If your aim is to get sharp photographs of the skater then you still have a number of issues:

The more light you can get into the camera, the faster the shutter speed you can use, and this will help freeze the motion.

You get more light in by using a wider aperture, so on that basis, the shift to a f/2.8 capable lens at the long end will be a huge benefit over your current f/6.3 at the long end of your Tamron.

But there is a price to pay (other than the actual cash!). Shooting at wide apertures will give you a shallower depth of field – that is to say, a smaller portion of your image will be in focus, which means you will need to perfect your technique.
That said, a shallow DOF can make for some stunning photos providing you get the focus spot on.
You can simulate getting more light into the camera by turning the sensitivity of the camera up by upping the ISO – the downside is more ‘noise’ in the image.

Alternatively, you can get a decent flash unit; it will limit the range at which you can shoot, but allows complete control over the depth of field and shutter speed.

At the end of the day, you’ll end up using all of these to get the best results.

Originally from Wales - was exported to Nottingham and have talked to you in the past - at Sheffield mainly - !! yes we are always at Deeside and Sheffield and Dumfries and yes - your pics are fab !
so now ....
1. Canon or Sigma ??
2. if canon - then which one ?
can hardly do anything with the equipment i have at the moment and it's really frustrating

Ah so now I know who you are (y) and yes we have spoken before.

As the posters above said - work out why you are not getting the images you want. Is it because they are too dark? Out of focus? Too small main image? That way you can then decide which lens would solve your problem

I shoot ice hockey, so your requirements will be quite similar I'd imagine. Whichever way you look at it, you'll need an f/2.8 (or quicker) lens. That's the only way to get the shutter speeds you'll need to capture moving skaters under arena lighting. If you'll be shooting at the NIC, you're lucky enough to have the best lighting in any arena I've been to in the UK, which is a good start, but you'll still need a fast lens.

For around a grand, I'd recommend any of the following: -

1. Canon 70-200 f/2.8L. Don't worry about the more expensive IS (Image Stabilised) version - that's only useful if you want to shoot longer shutter speeds, and for skating you'll need at least 1/400 second to freeze action. These come up at around £700 second hand. I can't comment on non-Canon lenses, as I've not used them.

2. Canon 200 f/2.8. This is a prime (fixed focus) lens, so you won't get the flexibility of the zoom above, but a lot of people say that prime lenses are sharper than zooms. It's a great lens, and is cheaper than the 70-200. You quite often see these for sale at around £450, and there's one on eBay at the moment for £400.

3. Canon 135 f/2. Again, it's a prime lens, but it's a very useable focal length for arenas - I use mine a hell of a lot for hockey games, and the f/2 is a massive help for getting decent shutter speeds in dimly lit arenas! You can pick these up for around £550 second hand.

All of the above are 'L' lenses, which means they're part of Canon's "Pro" lens series, which tends to mean that they hold their value very well. So whilst a cheaper Sigma lens might seem attractive now, the resale value won't be as good as a Canon L in 12 months time when you (inevitably!) want to upgrade.

If you need any help with camera settings etc, just drop me a PM.

Cheers

Tredders

I shoot ice hockey, so your requirements will be quite similar I'd imagine. Whichever way you look at it, you'll need an f/2.8 (or quicker) lens. That's the only way to get the shutter speeds you'll need to capture moving skaters under arena lighting. If you'll be shooting at the NIC, you're lucky enough to have the best lighting in any arena I've been to in the UK, which is a good start, but you'll still need a fast lens.

For around a grand, I'd recommend any of the following: -

1. Canon 70-200 f/2.8L. Don't worry about the more expensive IS (Image Stabilised) version - that's only useful if you want to shoot longer shutter speeds, and for skating you'll need at least 1/400 second to freeze action. These come up at around £700 second hand. I can't comment on non-Canon lenses, as I've not used them.

2. Canon 200 f/2.8. This is a prime (fixed focal length) lens, so you won't get the flexibility of the zoom above, but a lot of people say that prime lenses are sharper than zooms. It's a great lens, and is cheaper than the 70-200. You quite often see these for sale at around £450, and there's one on eBay at the moment for £400.

3. Canon 135 f/2. Again, it's a prime lens, but it's a very useable focal length for arenas - I use mine a hell of a lot for hockey games, and the f/2 is a massive help for getting decent shutter speeds in dimly lit arenas! You can pick these up for around £550 second hand.

All of the above are 'L' lenses, which means they're part of Canon's "Pro" lens series, which tends to mean that they hold their value very well. So whilst a cheaper Sigma lens might seem attractive now, the resale value won't be as good as a Canon L in 12 months time when you (inevitably!) want to upgrade.

If you need any help with camera settings etc, just drop me a PM.

Cheers

Tredders
Corrected for accuracy (y)

Just wanted to update all the helpful people who commented ages ago on this thread - made some monetary cuts elsewhere and went for the Canon f2.8 70-200 Mark II from Kerso and am totally delighted with the scope of pics I can take -

Now just wish that I hadn't messed about for so long wondering whether to spend the money - so for anyone else wondering ..... just go for it !

One day - when I feel brave enough - will post some pics on here !!!

Good move welshscrapqueen! My daughter also used to skate in the synchro British championships - I struggled to get decent photos in the poor lighting and with the fast movement - when they allowed you to take photos.

I really wish I had had the right lens then.... she's given up now, and I'm sorry I didn't splash out at the time (I am still lusting after that lens but don't have a good enough excuse now :) )

I don't think the organisers at the British Syncro's allow spectator photography anymore. I think they have a contracted photographer.

As for Focal Length what sort of range do you typically use on your 28-300

That will give you the rougth sort of focal length your after. If your always at the 300mm range you may be able to get away with a bit while cropping.

Then it's basically a case getting the best and fastest (lowest apeture) lens you can for get for your budget.

Seriously though if your planning on parting on that much cash you might want to try hiring or if possible borrowing a couple of lenses first. This will give you a good feel of how each of the lenses perform under the shooting conditions and will allow you to play with say some of the sigma lenses recomended.

I don't think the organisers at the British Syncro's allow spectator photography anymore. I think they have a contracted photographer.

Not in this country - but every event abroad is ok. Rouen, Salzburg Compiegne - and hopefully Helsinki.

In Salzburg there was even a photographers gallery on offer even though there was a contracted photographer too.

Back