"Lest We Forget" Thread

Name
Nattelie
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought since it was Remembrance Weekend, that it would be nice to have a thread focused on Remembrance themed images.

um-115.jpg

I was hoping to get some from the remembrance parade tomorrow in Portslade, so will post if I get anything decent.

Nice picture by the way. Good take on the theme.

I Hope you don't mind me adding a few shots from the Unveiling of the 617 Squadron Memorial in my Home Village, in May of this year in Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire, the Spiritual Home of the Dambusters.

A very moving event, attended by Squadron Leader Les Munro, DFC, DSO, the last remaining Pilot from the Dams Raid, now 94 years old he had travelled from his home in New Zealand.

The Unveiling

by pelliott1954, on Flickr

During the Last Post

Les Munro, Dambuster Pilot, to me, a Hero.

The New Memorial.

The Dambusters Memorial, Side by Side in the same Park.

82b

I hope they tell a Story

Regards Paul

Last edited:
'Officially' this should really be in photos for pleasure as I doubt critique is needed. However, to maximise the number of people likely to see it, I have moved from People & Portraits [as not all photos will contain people] to General.

If you do want to offer feedback on any photos, please remember the subject matter and post respectfully [which you should be doing on any thread anyway].

Thanks all. (y)

Last edited:
902-1384113064-533ecfcd6b645a3f9f21adb22ef31226.jpg

This is something I prepared last year - if I were doing it now I could probably make a better job photographically but sentimentally it is right.

My Dad was in the Durham Light Infantry and was captured at Dunkirk. After 4 years or so in a PoW camp he was involved in the end of war marches around Poland.

10797621925_b0b97dfc4e_z.jpg

Last edited:
A rather stark reminder of what it's all about:

fit=1440x1440

The body of Lance Corporal James Ashworth VC, Grenadier Guards, is repatriated.
Mourners pay their respects at the Caterton Memorial Garden near Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, during a double repatriation ceremony for Corporal Alex Guy, 1st Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment, and Lance Corporal James Ashworth VC, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards, (pictured in the lead hearse) on Friday 15 June 2012.
Lance Corporal Ashworth died as a result of enemy action on Wednesday 13 June 2012 whilst on patrol in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province, Afghanistan. On 22 March 2013 he was gazetted as having been awarded the Victoria Cross, only the 14th soldier to have received the highest recognition for bravery since WWII.
Thursday 21 June 2012. Caterton, UK. Photo by: Mark Chappell

Thats come out really well - what's the phone?
This was shot on a HTC Desire C - quite a cheap phone really.
The camera isn't that great - it applies far to much noise reduction, but there seems to be a bug where every 10 shots or so it saves a 'raw' jpeg without all the in-camera processing. I think this shot is one of them!

Back