Let's see some sunrise and sunset shots

Some lovely images in this thread great to see here are a few from Antigua earlier this year.

All could do with a tweak to the horizon...........

I always like these type of threads :)

Anyway here's my best 3 sunset shot:
5614121787_631ae8ddbf_z.jpg

#2 One of my fav shots
5906108613_b45a038729_z.jpg

#3 My first shot i was really pleased with, however now feel its a bit crazy but none the less
5443455358_85db8dc76c_z.jpg

Hiya Garry,

Nice thread, and thanks to Just Dave for the PM linking to same ..... I may have some to add here when I get the time to post them.

Some fantastic shots here .... which I could gaze at for hours.

Well done all

Cheers

Dawn :)

No actual sun so to speak of as it had jsut gone down. But its one my my new favs never the less

IMG_1420-1 by saxk, on Flickr

same location jsut a bit farther down by the rocks

IMG_1395-19 by saxk, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hiya Garry,

Nice thread, and thanks to Just Dave for the PM linking to same ..... I may have some to add here when I get the time to post them.

Thanks, Dawn. I just wish I'd thought of it back when I first joined PM. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

I agree, this was a very good idea for a thread and there are some stunning photos.

Thanks, Andrea. They're just sumptuous, aren't they?

Totland Bay on the Isle of Wight

Ooh, great! I'm going to the island soon and this makes me want to visit the bay.

I thought I'd share one more. I took this with my HTC Desire smartphone back in February when it was cold and sunset meant that it was just going to get colder still. It's the Serpentine lake in Hyde Park, one of my favourite places.

Taken last year on Sanibel Island, Florida with a GF1 and 20mm.

original.jpg

Probably one of the best sunsets I had the pleasure to see...Elgol, Skye 2009

original.jpg

Hmm, look at my original post. I replied and quoted to a specific individual - so ALL of that individuals, not every single pic in this thread. Blimey.... talk about taken out of context! :LOL:

Oh Oh, the Horizon Police are on the prowl again...!:rules:

If that's what you think - fine. (Don't bother reading the next paragraph)

Not at all, though it is a generally accepted "rule" of landscape photography that things involving the sea have a level horizon, unless so deliberately off - such as the fisheye pic at the bottom of this page.

In all honesty I couldn't care if the advice offered is taken on board or not. :shrug: If you are happy with "wonky" horizons, that's fine with me. However if like 99.9999% of people on this fine forum, you're looking to improve, little snippets and titbits like that can help. (y)

urm mines level isnt it ;) # 34

Yep. (y) See the top bit of this post.

Hopefully that's cleared that up.;)

(I would post, but being East coast, we tend to get better sunrises than sunsets)

Last edited:
Off to try and get some Chester sunset shots shortly. Compared to all these on here Im not too optimistic :)

Didnt get much reponse elsewhere so I'll post here too :cool: I realise its not brilliant

IMG_3493_8001.jpg

Fabulous thread, why didnt we do this sooner?!

Here's one of mine, sunset over Bembridge Harbour, Isle of Wight;

Sunset Bembridge Harbour by Odd Jim, on Flickr

From my garden about 15 mins ago.
Images untouched from the camera.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38620631@N02/6070172087/]
DSC_0004 by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

2. http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38620631@N02/6070718930/]
DSC_0006 by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

3. http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/38620631@N02/6070719766/]
DSC_0011 by MrLeebert, on Flickr[/URL]

Didnt get much reponse elsewhere so I'll post here too :cool: I realise its not brilliant

It's not that bad at all. It's just sufficiently pre-sunset that the sky is quite light while at the same time the shadowed side of the balloon appears blue. You could try warming up the white balance but then you'd lose the blueness. But if you warmed up just the sunset colours you might end up with something like a typical Trey Ratcliff mixture of warm and cool in the same picture.

In Lightroom you could do this by going to the colour sliders, selecting the Saturation tab, clicking the little circle symbol in the top-left, then clicking and dragging up on the yellow/orange colours in the picture.

In Photoshop, I think you'd probably have to create at least two layers and play with different amounts of saturation on each.

DorsetDude said:

I think that's fantastic!

WOW amazing shots guys i am going to get out when can see what i can find

Stunning shots :eek:
These are all bordering on stupidly good. I'll contribute in a few years of practice :(

Good sunset [and sunrise] shots are mostly right place and right time. Plus under-exposing to bring out the colour.

Not brilliant? That's a damned fine shot.

Back