B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

I titled this one 'Chaos', seems to fit?

Very nice shot Sir, with some fine detail. normally expect to see this sort of shot in colour but in this case it works very well in mono.(y)

George.

Just a candid street style shot taken of a guy busy making a Roll Up cigarette. It's the look of concentration that appealed to me.

X-T2, 55-200mm Lens, 1/70th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Roll Up-03132 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Just one half-worthy B&W from my recent trip to South Devon:-

Noss%20Mayo%20Boat_zps7mafz9ji.jpg

:ty: for looking., (y)

George.

Last edited:
Oh well done!! I'd imagine that they're difficult little devils to photograph - especially in flight

Thanks Andrew ... More luck than skill ;)

Oh well done!! I'd imagine that they're difficult little devils to photograph - especially in flight
:D
i would say near impossible...in a returning group with babies to feed they are like kamikaze's...its a brilliant shot

Thanks all (y)
I figured mono would make a nice change ;)

"Winding Gear - Magpie Mine"

Another one from a very windy, wet and unusually cold morning up at the Magpie Mine at Sheldon in Derbyshire. Although it looks reasonably calm, I was hanging on to the tripod to try and keep it steady. Always the same up there.

Magpie Mine 2 by Mike Swain, on Flickr

"Winding Gear - Magpie Mine"

Another one from a very windy, wet and unusually cold morning up at the Magpie Mine at Sheldon in Derbyshire. Although it looks reasonably calm, I was hanging on to the tripod to try and keep it steady. Always the same up there.

Magpie Mine 2 by Mike Swain, on Flickr

like the treatment...
do you carry a bungie...if you tie one to a stone you can attach the other end to the tripod...and essesntial for adventurers
ps...my edit would be a crop to the sky...bring the machinery more into view..
what do you think this was used for..i see the brake and the winder handle...a mine slopes down at an angle into the earth as opposed to the vertical shaft of a pit
so i reckon this could be part of a haulage...men and materials
some history makes the shot interesting as well
cheers
geof

Thanks for the comments Geof. Although this is called a "mine" it does have a vertical shaft (some 800 feet deep) which as you say is normally a pit.

To help with the history bit, the Magpie Mine is one of the most famous mines in the Peak District and is the only one with a significant part of its buildings still standing. The mine is at the junction of the Magpie, the Bole and the Butts lead veins. The mine was first recorded in 1795 and finally ceased operations in 1958.

The close proximity of other mines led to a great number of disputes and deaths. The mine is well known for being both cursed and haunted. Tragically in 1833, three miners lost their lives when fires from a nearby mine were lit to keep the Magpie miners out of a neighbouring vein. The miners were tried and acquitted of murder but the wives of the dead miners placed a curse on the Magpie Mine and it's troubles seemed to start from there.

Last edited:
No Longer Available.

George.

Last edited:
like the treatment...
do you carry a bungie...if you tie one to a stone you can attach the other end to the tripod...and essesntial for adventurers
ps...my edit would be a crop to the sky...bring the machinery more into view..
what do you think this was used for..i see the brake and the winder handle...a mine slopes down at an angle into the earth as opposed to the vertical shaft of a pit
so i reckon this could be part of a haulage...men and materials
some history makes the shot interesting as well
cheers
geof

i worked for the national coal board in scotland in pits and mines as a surveyor...and now in cornwall visited some of the old tin mines...as a tourist of course
its a hard job, always dark unless you have a lamp...and full of dust and heat
wouldnt do it for the world
thanks for the history
cheers
geof

Just a candid street style shot taken of a guy using his camera.

X-T1, 55-200mm Lens, 1/420th @ F7.1, ISO-200, Handheld.
Togger (1)-03064 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y)

George.

ovi 111s by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

an ear in tatters on the garden path...alison melville
paraphrase on kipling

Last edited:
Back