B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

I’ve taken a brave pill and have decided to inflict another couple of pics on you all. Any pointers gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSC_6945 BW Matchless G50 (2).JPG
    DSC_6945 BW Matchless G50 (2).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_8534 BW.JPG
    DSC_8534 BW.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 12
I’ve taken a brave pill and have decided to inflict another couple of pics on you all. Any pointers gratefully received.
perhaps the only critique could be the blacks are pretty solid...easing back on contrast may help
i like a really black black but just enough to give punch...
the pure black to white photo should have black and white...and all the greys in between...
your shots could be termed compressed regarding the tonal range..
but i love those bikes
havent seen a bike race for so long that the shots you show...are quite reminiscent
cheers
geof

Thank you for your helpful comment Geof really appreciated.

I haven’t been to a race meeting for years because I can no longer stand crowds. Nowadays I content myself with test or track days.

Rob, I find most of this batch of images to be rather unbalanced with regard to tone and not particularly interesting with the exception of Cranwood Street. Might I suggest that the arrow be toned down a little and the white lines brightened a little in the middle half.

Well here is another attempt which hopefully is an improvement on my previous photos. My digital processing “skills” leave a lot to be desired but I wouldn’t have had a problem back in the film days.

He is wearing black and white leathers and helmet, riding a white bike.

DSC_7033 BW Honda (2).JPG

DSC_7033 BW Honda (2) copy.jpg
added some brightness in silver efex pro...or any pp software...its a basic adjustment which you can use of the three
brightness..contrast..structure..

Well here is another attempt which hopefully is an improvement on my previous photos. My digital processing “skills” leave a lot to be desired but I wouldn’t have had a problem back in the film days.

He is wearing black and white leathers and helmet, riding a white bike.

View attachment 106169

Hi PTJ
i like this because i know you are keen to show your work...but i cant see the shot
i am having trouble with flikr uploading mine
are you using flikr...DAMN IT CAME UP ON THE REPLY PAGE...LOOK BELOW FOR MY THOUGHTS
cheers
geof

it is true that the rider was perhaps in dead black and white...your camera is compensating by over exposing teh white..so it looks sort of off white
this happens with
snow
black skinned people
and maybe other situation...the camera's spot metering is thinking that a lot of your shot is white and tones it down and as in snow..greyish snow
likewise in a shot of a black person...the camera thinks its all black and overexposes..hence grey people
processing will take care of this...
if you take readings off your skin you may find they are the better ones to use rather than P or auto
i think the technical phrase is 18% grey exposure...or white balance...one can carry a card round to check this

Last edited:
Sorry Geof, these have been downloaded from a file on my computer because they aren’t on my flickr page.

Thanks for your help, looks like I will have to work on my processing - a lot. Didn’t have this trouble in the dark room – old dog and new tricks springs to mind. I will go and practice a lot more and then put some more up.

I shoot sport in shutter priority with auto white balance.

Is it possible on a D750 to shoot in B&W do you know?

I can’t find it in the manual.

Paul

Last edited:
Sorry Geof, these have been downloaded from a file on my computer because they aren’t on my flickr page.

Thanks for your help, looks like I will have to work on my processing - a lot. Didn’t have this trouble in the dark room – old dog and new tricks springs to mind. I will go and practice a lot more and then put some more up.

I shoot sport in shutter priority with auto white balance.

Is it possible on a D750 to shoot in B&W do you know?

I can’t find it in the manual.

Paul

hi Paul..both mrstoad and i did b>w darkroom stuff...and likewise..no probs...let the dev take the strain
what we did and possibly you as well was to be quite meticulous about our exposure selections
measurement from the hand etc...for good white balance.. i took spot readings and never on white items...without opening a bit..similar black..close down
the other reasons i think is that we used manual focus and possibly manual settings...
so...our cameras had speeds in regular jumps and apertures as well...
not 1/238 at f 7.345???
the latitude was in the film and the darkroom wallas

the basics for the digital age is quite difference to that of the film and especially in black to white
you had to know your SAD then...speed/aperture/depth of field relationships...
did you shoot 35mm
cheers
geof

Hi Geof

I’ve still got a full dark room in the attic, just needs setting up but I don’t have a room big enough. Used to do both B&W and colour neg/slide.

Used to shoot 35mm 6x6 and 6x7 always used a Western and Gossen Lunasix.

Still got the Lunasix 3 and one 35mm camera plus various bits and pieces.

Often though about using the Lunasix with the digital cameras, will do one day.

Back to the real world...must try harder with my B&W.

Regards

Paul

Spot on Littletank. I know in my head what I want but find editing a nightmare. I watched an "Art of Photography" you tube video, where it said, "Nobody cares about your images." This is so true. I try things and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The weather was crap all week long and holding an excited border collie back from the sheep, it isn't the best situation. As a pensioner, it keeps me off the streets or watching Mr Kyle on the television.

View attachment 106365

Any better?

:ty: for looking.,(y)

George.

Last edited:
Stephen, I can appreciate your challenges being almost 90 years old myself. I am no longer able to take walks or, indeed, use a camera as I would like but every now and then I try a bit of table-top stuff.

Your latest image is a fine example of monochrome photography, more please.

I was asked to be the togger at a family wedding function - don't know how you guys do it, scared the life out of me - here's my fave pic from the day:

Mehndi by Gobind Rai, on Flickr

No longer available.

George.

Last edited:
Nice idea, George, with some pleasing tones. Would the image have more impact if the legs in the background were toned down?

Nice idea, George, with some pleasing tones. Would the image have more impact if the legs in the background were toned down?

Thank you kindly Sir, I much appreciate you taking the time to reply.(y)

"That's a good comment Sir, and one that I'd already thought about doin' but decided to leave as is"

George.

Andrea, I think that this image needs some life such as sparkle in the water and contrasting detail in the cliff. There is also what appears to be a halo along the cliff top. What do you think?

Back