Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Class 37's 37 800 and 37 510 on a rail-tour approaching Harrington in West Cumbria on 28/08/21.. Both these locos are of 1963 vintage and still going strong.

Nikon D610 + 24-85mm AF-S G VR
Retro_tours_37_280821.JPG

Last edited:
Wow! I haven't been there since 2018! The lighting isn't horrendous but most of the images I took that day were at ISO 3200 - 5000, with the odd one below 1000. Hope that helps and don't forget to post some images afterwards :)
Thank you I certainly will.
Will be mindful of the iso and see how things go.

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I’m off to the national railway museum at York next week for a look around and to also see the flying Scotsman.
It’s my first visit there and I’m wondering what the lighting is like inside? And any tips from people who may have visited in the past? Is everything located indoors? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and the lighting looks like it might be a bit tricky.
Many thanks
.... Visiting York Railway Museum is on my bucket list and so I haven't been yet. But if they allow tripods I would shoot from a tripod rather than ramp up the ISO. I suggest this in spite of current OM camera bodies having good noise performance and the use of noise reduction software in post-processing.

EDIT :
A monopod is often a good alternative to a tripod and usually gets around any "No tripods allowed" rules.

Last edited:
Perhaps a Monopod would be a better choice
.... You took the words out of my mouth! I was about to edit my post above to include a monopod.

I use my monopod more than my tripod and Image Stabilisation works just as well.

.... You took the words out of my mouth! I was about to edit my post above to include a monopod.

I use my monopod more than my tripod and Image Stabilisation works just as well.
Same here. I’m always using my monopod. I might take that and leave it in the bag if it poses any issues.

Same here. I’m always using my monopod. I might take that and leave it in the bag if it poses any issues.
.... I would arrive with it in your bag and only bring it out when needed. That way you are likely to be less noticed. I think that most railways don't allow tripods because they see them as a trip-up risk to others - Insurance and Elf-n-Safety etc etc.

.... I would arrive with it in your bag and only bring it out when needed. That way you are likely to be less noticed. I think that most railways don't allow tripods because they see them as a trip-up risk to others - Insurance and Elf-n-Safety etc etc.
Yes, to some extent I can see their point, however I often go to Doncaster when the specials are coming through and you often see a couple of people at the end of the platform with tripods etc all set up.
I don’t see an issue as long as they are being sensible and keeping out of the way so to speak.

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I’m off to the national railway museum at York next week for a look around and to also see the flying Scotsman.
It’s my first visit there and I’m wondering what the lighting is like inside? And any tips from people who may have visited in the past? Is everything located indoors? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and the lighting looks like it might be a bit tricky.
Many thanks

Some years since I went and looking at the website, it seems that there has been much improvement in the way that the engines are displayed. The lighting was ok for me, large buildings and so not dim at all.
NB , the Station Hall is closed for refurb - that contains some nice coaches and historic stuff, but not the engines, which were the main draw for me.

Yes, to some extent I can see their point, however I often go to Doncaster when the specials are coming through and you often see a couple of people at the end of the platform with tripods etc all set up.
I don’t see an issue as long as they are being sensible and keeping out of the way so to speak.
.... I agree but am just describing the worst case to be prepared for. Some stations are very strict about it. For example, the London mainline stations. I usually introduce myself to Security or a station's Duty Manager even when not using a tripod. In fact I have never used a tripod for a railway shot ... yet!

I went to the railway museum in York last year and the main problem I had was the bright windows in the roof against the dark locomotives although not much that can be done for many angles.

Two of Mallard at the NRM. 1/60 f/4 iso800 hand-held on full frame with no anti-shake.

Detail of the motion:

A walk round Mallard (anticlockwise) 2.jpg

Coach paint on the tender:

A walk round Mallard (anticlockwise) 5.jpg

Last edited:
I went to the railway museum in York last year and the main problem I had was the bright windows in the roof against the dark locomotives although not much that can be done for many angles.

Cloudy days are better IMO as the light is more diffuse from the skylights so rather weather dependant IMO

There are photos of the Deltic above. When I was just a kid we used to live near Runcorn ( just south east of Liverpool..16 miles) and there were just fields between us and Manchester SW (I could see white Jodrell Bank radio telescope dish,25 miles away, when it faced west and the sun shone on it.) and about 5 mile away, down on the Plain (Cheshire Plain) ran the London > Liverpool > Glasgow main line and one day I saw a diesel/electric loco I hadn't seen before. I'm sure it was pulling freight wagons rather than coaches. That seems to be verified in this write-up with a photo of it. I see it was discontinued in 1961. I can't remember exactly how old I was when I saw it....low teens,maybe. I do recall being quite excited, though :) .For anyone who lives near there I used to go to Halton, near Runcorn, and was able to get by the trackside/roadside fence and recall seeing the Duchess of Montrose in my favourite colour..BR Crimson Lake. Maybe that's why it's still my favourite. I also cycled to Acton Bridge, (7 miles) also trackside,on the same line, with my girlfriend..we were 11...lol.

The DP1.

Just about to go and photograph "Mayflower"..'Cotswold Venturer' due at 1354 here in Gloucester but it's running 22 minutes late near Challow, Oxfordshire.

Last edited:
'Mayflower' taken this morning and this afternoon's return leg..

It's 'The Cotswold Explorer' and it left Norwich at 0635 :eek: and should have got to Worcester at 1530 but it was an hour late therefore it left an hour late to give passengers time to look round Worcester which was the original plan,of course. It's not going to arrive back at Norwich until 0030 so that's an 18 hour day but the pasengers arriving at Norwich will have to drive home, so even longer. A diner/Pullman carriage costs from £350 but if you want a table for two only rather than four ( ie sit with strangers if there's only two of you) then it's £80 extra. Next is First Class..no food but you can take your own food/drink and people do .That's £185..plus £80 as per the diner/Pullman car and lastly the 'standard' carriage £160 (plus) .Food/drink can also be taken. Reviews are excellent but delays like this can happen and also, they have the right to change steam locos or if another isn't available then a diesel..not that passengers would notice but I think they like to get a photo and a selfie with the steam locos before departure and/or at some of the station stops . I've seen them doing that here at Gloucester station The last one I went to see was, at one time from Paddington, three hours late. It made up time by the timne it had got to Gloucester but still an hour late .I heard that the driver went past a water stop where he wanted to fill up and had to get permission to reverse .It took a good while.

This morning at Gloucester en-route to Worcester. It a very long tour train. One of the longest I've seen .
1. 'Mayflower'.jpg

Taken at Standish Junc near Stroud, Glos. en-route back to Norwich. What a differenc some sunshine,albeit hazy,makes.
2.'Mayflower'.jpg

Same loco taken in 2015 at the railway crossing at Bathampton (outside the city of Bath) and travelling towards Bath/Bristol out of the West country. Unfortunately, this view is no longer possible due to a small housing estate to the right and the trees/foliage have been left to grow to give the residents cover so I'm pleased I got it before that happened. Any photo now has to taken on the far side of the crossing so loses the 'inside' of the train on this bend.
3.'Mayflower'.jpg

"Same loco taken in 2015 at the railway crossing at Bathampton (outside the city of Bath) and travelling towards Bath/Bristol out of the West country. Unfortunately, this view is no longer possible due to a small housing estate to the right and the trees/foliage have been left to grow to give the residents cover so I'm pleased I got it before that happened. Any photo now has to taken on the far side of the crossing so loses the 'inside' of the train on this bend."

Hi John,

Thanks for that little snippet of information. I was planning to use that crossing for a couple of locos this year so I guess I need to rethink that :)

"Same loco taken in 2015 at the railway crossing at Bathampton (outside the city of Bath) and travelling towards Bath/Bristol out of the West country. Unfortunately, this view is no longer possible due to a small housing estate to the right and the trees/foliage have been left to grow to give the residents cover so I'm pleased I got it before that happened. Any photo now has to taken on the far side of the crossing so loses the 'inside' of the train on this bend."

Hi John,

Thanks for that little snippet of information. I was planning to use that crossing for a couple of locos this year so I guess I need to rethink that :)

Maybe they've cut it back bit ,Steve but it looked to me as though they'd left it to give cover because it was like this 12 months later when I took this shot of Tornado . I had to walk over the crossing to the far side to get this photo which I took in September 2016. Not quite the same,is it. :( Infact, you can see that the shrubbery infront of the front of Tornado would block the view from the crossing gate because it's about to go over the crossing.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe they've cut it back bit ,Steve but it looked to me as though they'd left it to give cover because it was like this 12 months later when I took this shot of Tornado . I had to walk over the crossing to the far side to get this photo which I took in September 2016. Not quite the same,is it. :( Infact, you can see that the shrubbery infront of the front of Tornado would block the view from the crossing gate because it's about to go over the crossing.
Cheers for that John. It's nowhere near as dramatic as the first image - still good though :)

Looks like I'll have to take a ride over there and check it out.

A couple of my recent shots

60028 arriving at Crewe Basford Hall yard while working the 6M89 Middleton Towers to Ravenhead loaded sand train 25 Mar 2023
60028 by Timothy Rowley, on Flickr

70007 heads South at Stableford on the 4O29 Basford Hall to Southampton liner 25 Mar 2023

70007 by Timothy Rowley, on Flickr

20142 leads 189 plus barrier wagons and Rail Adventure HST power cars 43480 and 468 on the 6Z76 Kings Norton to Crewe move to collect a 777 from the LNWR depot for forwarding on to Kirkdale passing Stableford on the WCML 05 Mar 2023

20142 by Timothy Rowley, on Flickr

All the best

Tim.

Cheers for that John. It's nowhere near as dramatic as the first image - still good though :)

Looks like I'll have to take a ride over there and check it out.

I contacted my friend in Bath and he sent me this photo. which he said was taken very recently. It looks ok,now....sort of. It will be easier on the eye when it all greens, which will be soon.Having said that, in my photo it was lovely green grasses but now it's brambles.

5.jpg

Last edited:
this is the River Esk a miniature narrow gauge train part of the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway Co.Ltd in the lake district as you can see its 100 years old

no time to ride it today but il be taking my grandson on it in a couple of weeks ...cant wait, hes only 2 and loves a choo choo

choo choo.jpg

Listen to Sarah!!

She has been a steam enthusiast since she was 4yo.

ALWAYS LISTEN TO SARAH!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I trust this image is acceptable in this thread as it is directly trains related.

Much better scenic shots of the locos, where did you take them? My Mum is from Elgin and my grandmother used to live near Ward's road so we used to see the physical token exchange when the trains passed there.

There were a lot of people at the station to see the train and quite a wide variety as well which I was surprised at since the 37s are one of the most common diesels there is and nowhere near as special as others. However they still have quite some presence and even before I reached the station I could hear the loud deep rumble of the engines and smell them in the air, they are certainly a lot more special than the usual DMUs and the oddly quiet MTU powered HSTs.
On a road bridge out the Pluscarden way. on the main road out to Inverness turn left just before the Burghead turnoff and it’s about a mile down that road. I did try and upload a screenshot of google maps but it was too big.

Last edited:
Northampton Station sidings (captured with an Olympus E20p...

Trains in sidings at Northampton Station PC050012.jpg

Last edited:
Back