Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Took myself up to Filton Abbey Wood station this morning to get some pictures of "Galatea" pulling the Bath & Gloucester Steam Express - thanks to JohnC6 for the information (y)

She came through pretty much on time at about 20 past 11 but I was a bit surprised to see her painted in BR green. Checking my photos afterwards I spotted that the number on the smoke box door (45627) was different to that on the cab side (45562) and her name plate said "Sierra Leone". A bit of digging in t'Internet shows that this loco is a bit of a Walter Mitty character with several identities :) I think the crew must have a been a bit confused this morning and couldn't decide which persona to use :oops: :$

As John mentioned above, the sky was overcast and even at after 11 o'clock the light was very dim. I'm pleased with the way the D780 handled the high ISO :)
DSC_4886-2.jpg

DSC_4901-2.jpg

Whilst waiting for the charter express to arrive a rather long Freightliner train came through with a Class 66 pulling about 50 shipping container wagons ... but only three containers.o_O
DSC_4873-2.jpg

We also had to suffer several additional trains put on by GWR for people going to Cardiff for the Rugby. Talk about sardine cans - standing room only on all of them. I wonder how they were feeling making their way home again tonight?
DSC_4880-2.jpg

JUBILEE MASQUERADER

This loco is in fact Jubilee Class 45699 'Galatea' but is running as 45627 'Sierra Leone' after previously running as 45562 'Alberta'. 45699 'Galatea' is part of the West Coast Railways fleet which operates as the Railway Touring Company.

'Sierra Leone' was scrapped in 1967 followed by 'Alberta' in 1968.

JUBILEE MASQUERADER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Robin..Thanks for the explanation re the numbers. That happened to another steam loco a couple of years ago but as a tribute to a high profile person. I just can't recall which loco or the person. It ran under a different name..the one of the famous person, for about 6 months. I'll bet you will be able to tell me :)

It's great to see photos of Galatea from three of us as it progressed out of the SW.

Last edited:
Robin..Thanks for the explanation re the numbers. That happened to another steam loco a couple of years ago but as a tribute to a high profile person. I just can't recall which loco or the person. It ran under a different name..the one of the famous person, for about 6 months. I'll bet you will be able to tell me :)
.... The practice is not uncommon and also on diesel locomotives, even having one name on one side and a different name on the other side of the loco usually in tribute to people past and present, but not changing TOPS running numbers.

My two photos below show Jubilee 'Bahamas' being temporarily renamed to 'Falkland Islands'.

Built in 1935, Jubilee Class 45596 'Bahamas' was planned to be renamed in July 2022 to mark the 40th Anniversary of the South Atlantic Conflict in the Falkland Islands.

45596 'Bahamas' was to be temporarily renamed to 45606 'Falkland Islands' at a ceremony on the 23rd July 2022 at the West Somerset Railway. However, due to her outings on the mainline network getting cancelled it was postponed to 22nd September at Swanage Railway.

The original locomotive 'Falkland Islands' was built in 1935 but was withdrawn from service and scrapped in February 1965. The nameplates were saved.

The new Falkland Islands nameplates have been cast from the original and were to be unveiled by Richard Overall and Jim Fairfield who were both involved in the conflict in July 2022 but the unveiling was done by Royal Marines Bill Monteith, ex Bournemourh Driver and now West Coast Railways Driver, the younger RM is James Conway, loco support crew. at the ceremony at Swanage Railway in September 2022.

Now unveiled, the locomotive is expected to wear its new identity until it returns north sometime this autumn 2022.
The locomotive's nameplates will then be removed and one donated to The Royal Marines Association (The Royal Marines Charity) for auction.

Currently 'Galatea' has not been returned to her original name and number yet and the purpose is to promote The Sierra Leone National Railway Museum.

'BAHAMAS' BEING TEMPORARILY RENAMED AS 'FALKLAND ISLANDS' by Robin Procter, on Flickr

UNVEILING CEREMONY OF 'FALKLAND ISLANDS' by Robin Procter, on Flickr
It's great to see photos of Galatea from three of us as it progressed out of the SW.
.... And all quite different images.

Last edited:
Robin..again.. :) They're interesting photos re "Bahamas". I've got a photo of it as "Bahamas." It looks like you were hidden behind bushes surreptitiously taking it..Lol.

But.....I took this in July 2016. I have a couple more of it as "Galatea". I've never seen it as "Sierra Leone"

28 Galatea-Full.jpg

Last edited:
State Railway of Thailand General Electric UM12C loco 4006 waiting to leave Bangkok Hua Lamphong Station on the daily train down to Map Ta Phut

Nikon D700 + AF-S 24-120mm F4 VR.... October 2022

DSC_1904.JPG

It wasn't long before I was enjoying the ride behind SRT loco 4006..... 59 years old and still going strong!!! This class of loco has picked up the nickname "Grandpa" by Thai railway enthusiasts!!!

Sat in a 3rd class carriage with wooden seats enjoying the thrash!!!

DSC_1906_003.JPG

Last edited:
.STU02336.jpgSTU02284.jpg
.STU02323.jpg

Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it was getting a bit dark by the time this one reached here but always welcome to see a 47 especially this immaculate Scotrail 47/7 push/pull set with DBSO:

y4meBIr11bnz8Fkxy46hc0libir78mNyhA0JNX6_I9wnnKn6mQdc1hGRfqbfpB-k3yGHUQDRah7gKNelrPbZR--JAXbJ4brr3k_JljQf0NuLu3khWr7H5eEkRsLuNueE0uEDIQt5FeEGnb1nj2sj39trQrhhZeRcOM584--3dcrCHEcnUFdAUI235ArwRTCSsRx

y4mcXIVoFEk8cpWqGguGxrO9y80DEPhk2i-_ycxiW6Ep2Oqz-cgaCYhoZyHF7w_hl-7_Hn_iNkoc9bF3Papb5kns536ulXIRMRRxoDKned0A67BsnEgfaiFt6lzQhJbfR_Aa9dy9l1yXF5u-ubC2IgbES-1KIL5p72qb35dgicRRJAZnY2fiJbS7NUrItLVEB4-

Unfortunately it was getting a bit dark by the time this one reached here but always welcome to see a 47 especially this immaculate Scotrail 47/7 push/pull set with DBSO:

y4meBIr11bnz8Fkxy46hc0libir78mNyhA0JNX6_I9wnnKn6mQdc1hGRfqbfpB-k3yGHUQDRah7gKNelrPbZR--JAXbJ4brr3k_JljQf0NuLu3khWr7H5eEkRsLuNueE0uEDIQt5FeEGnb1nj2sj39trQrhhZeRcOM584--3dcrCHEcnUFdAUI235ArwRTCSsRx

y4mcXIVoFEk8cpWqGguGxrO9y80DEPhk2i-_ycxiW6Ep2Oqz-cgaCYhoZyHF7w_hl-7_Hn_iNkoc9bF3Papb5kns536ulXIRMRRxoDKned0A67BsnEgfaiFt6lzQhJbfR_Aa9dy9l1yXF5u-ubC2IgbES-1KIL5p72qb35dgicRRJAZnY2fiJbS7NUrItLVEB4-

.... Great to see a livery match both loco and carriages. Nice livery too!

So the 'carriages' on this train are in fact self-powered multiple units.

.... Great to see a livery match both loco and carriages. Nice livery too!

So the 'carriages' on this train are in fact self-powered multiple units.
No, the carriages are unpowered and it's just the locomotive providing power - the carriage at the end is a DBSO (Driving Brake Standard Open) and controls the locomotive at the other end the same way the class 91's work their DVTs known as 'push pull'. They were running pairs of class 27s on the Glasgow/Edinburgh services which meant they didn't need to do a time consuming reverse move to get the loco back to the other side of the train but it means needing two locomotives which were being worked hard. So they decided to modify a number of class 47's to the 47/7 subclass where they'd be fitted for remote control and larger fuel tanks while a number of carriages were converted to DBSO's at the other end. This allowed them to run the service without reversal and a single locomotive, these locomotives had some of the highest usage in the UK although I don't know if they still hold that record.

It's great to see these old locomotives in any livery but I really appreciate them making the effort to repaint them into classic liveries especially when they've painted up the whole set which looks great. Although it's odd to think that this type of train was running daily and easily seen but now it's such a rarity just to even see a 47 on the move.

It's great to see these old locomotives in any livery but I really appreciate them making the effort to repaint them into classic liveries especially when they've painted up the whole set which looks great. Although it's odd to think that this type of train was running daily and easily seen but now it's such a rarity just to even see a 47 on the move.

Yes, they have takenevery effort to make this look a thing of beauty.
Matchiig livery throughtout is classy

Class47 813 on rear gunner duty for the 'Duchess of Sutherland' on a Railway Touring Company excursion. Operator West Coast Railways currently have a fleet of Class47s which they use either in support of their steam hauled excursions or for hire.

REAR GUARD AND SUPPORT FOR A DUCHESS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

We've had a railtour visiting today with West Coast Railways 37676 'Loch Rannoch' in the WC maroon livery and SRPS 37403 'Isle of Mull' in BR Large Logo Livery hauling a rake of mk1s:

y4mcZxFrFbOU9rijeIjlPnuJPkyt_WsyfF6FaZI-YFKCi26o6WIZ6Cod92de0Rp7fdWIUoT57HHyNsvCRsdM6gQtejjW8vA70h9B-j2CnM73sNKbJgjQ0mW0-8gGT-SAqNM7JD4gr9AXavcNTgL1CPVR8RNJ0Y07fixyxKfFTWbNfnDqSLR-VUKbiCx_akTQ9Qw

y4mXep8M_gKCn9Fh_swYsl9Zy8A5YZOp1vUm3LbDYAtYQPZWCPeCLAPXWAKvn02_GACHPOmMU8m_SlvG81BIvfzyqdxbdAyCCjH_AViv53n2CYse2HI-EtqCns6te6dBySQAbNdWUA9XQUXrN6xvOwYDBgU-VIGRHcopv79eXdHoPGEc5XzgtGub4cSr-S9k731

As you can probably see, the weather was not good and the camera summed it up well when the snow caught the autofocus:

y4mtkVhx5VapX26q7id2IOwAlBDULOCCX5Xyc9tTKj-7H0VIamID4JJ3bjglW9uld9zriIDaHxtPgk4U8rLl20L8eSiLlOFLH6PibLaLvDbjO0Hi6lGzisy-miHg88fziZzaDwQRXu6t4fAYV7PKp3P9OLUtym1qak-LInPiEB9iXu4e6fwQ_bn9pKhuhpcavhY

The two 37s reversed out of the station, moved to a siding then completed a run around to attach to the other side of the train ready to go back into the station:
y4mfsCpnk2OvHU9U6RINrh8lwh4TqycJrg5IfFbeMbGHmVR6EqVfzBJ_CuIKftsZEhQH9mh-IcHE6oJZQa1LjA-pfS_kfhAomtIYU6aVrs_x5wQPCqQok39d-3d9ce3sLL8Rx7WiNj6u3NKU5aApRek0RMBkcEUWfeq6BgOgXLJFxDoLDHSwtI6wFZmHWQgmKxH

The railtour had come in from the east which I don't know so well which meant I'd decided to catch the train heading south although the freezing weather and snow was making me hesitant as I like to take the bike. However the decision was made for me, as the locos headed forward back onto the mainline the leading bogie on 37676 derailed:

y4moQusc21ngyEUMdT6IAPuH4CSOlHJaSBncSOg6rh9xzxVgK2AwyYx-ltYD71aooP_SSRUDWRDjR5j8QxsO7p8JYUfmWxPHZ05NdK7wDnRs9pxW2gZBTnsK3kuDK5XfTTm4u6Yb6PTZ6cC8hMI3Oi-O8nFOeQVXXjtZkSoUqSTaB4YfBZpbfLh3t5dsO5V4uox

Unfortunately I couldn't get a good shot of it so had to go up a hill and take the picture over the houses and then crop very tight. 37403 was moved off the front of the train and returned to the other side of the train removing two carriages off at a time and shunting them alongside the derailed 37. Finally it then moved back to the head of the train, returned to the station and finally left two hours late on its own:

y4mnySeefV83Vsb11gYtUAztk8k9aNqXcNmcGLpQbCKgZc9OqrQYm-voTtKT0gfwUj3Yx2Un9xRxjZ9TgHtGbMmGXWysnkQRr3hPvGds-AW_GpdhHMxAFQCAXIYg_yzpxUljyQf-GMxBcfG7JJ1XoD8xHzrpsQNr0GW3kwylvQflLtymsPNvyAfHRz_ZetAvsi3

Not very good photos but still worth the trip even just going to the station when the two of them were sitting grumbling away it's a lovely noise and the smell really brought me back to the 80s when the station was full of locos like this.

Edit - not sure why the last and third from last image aren't loading, they work fine in the preview but don't seem to be showing on the forum

Last edited:
We've had a railtour visiting today with West Coast Railways 37676 'Loch Rannoch' in the WC maroon livery and SRPS 37403 'Isle of Mull' in BR Large Logo Livery hauling a rake of mk1s:
I headed out of Elgin to get a couple of shots of them. Not a huge train person but it was good to see some different looking diesels. Even got a toot on the horn as they passed.

Railtour through Elgin by Angus Rothnie, on Flickr

Much better scenic shots of the locos, where did you take them? My Mum is from Elgin and my grandmother used to live near Ward's road so we used to see the physical token exchange when the trains passed there.

There were a lot of people at the station to see the train and quite a wide variety as well which I was surprised at since the 37s are one of the most common diesels there is and nowhere near as special as others. However they still have quite some presence and even before I reached the station I could hear the loud deep rumble of the engines and smell them in the air, they are certainly a lot more special than the usual DMUs and the oddly quiet MTU powered HSTs.

There were a lot of people at the station to see the train and quite a wide variety as well which I was surprised at since the 37s are one of the most common diesels there is and nowhere near as special as others. However they still have quite some presence and even before I reached the station I could hear the loud deep rumble of the engines and smell them in the air, they are certainly a lot more special than the usual DMUs and the oddly quiet MTU powered HSTs.
.... I think the Class37 were originally the D200s back in the days when diesels were first introduced to replace steam locos. They have a major presence and sound and so I'm not surprised at all about their popularity. I remember their introduction along with the Peaks.

Unfortunately I don't have many photos of them ... yet! And the standard blue is not my favourite livery for mainline diesels, apart from Deltics which look good in absolutely any livery!!

BR Class 37 703 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I may have posted this Deltic pic before but you can never see a Deltic enough times! :

WHAT A BEAUTY!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm not in any way dismissing the 37s as they're easily my favourite locomotive and even all these years later it still feels special to me to see them. I think they look smart in their mainline livery but unsurprisingly BR large logo is definitely my favourite on them and I think they suit the livery best.

A Deltic picture is certainly welcome, it's probably my number one loco I'd like to see at the moment and I think there's a couple running this year, even in videos their engines come across as something quite different and would love to hear that in real life. Funnily enough when looking through some old photo albums it turns out I have actually seen a Deltic:

y4mrJIgQM3hveAtN-OsWYXcrWKZyjQyJV0ijfLttArAFhmBQeSAXeKzH0AQA07xhizONaRGTZmHK4hqt3XlVnHzXrJ5eCjhMs17We6sPtQGly1OBh97ZPAOxJ16ZbfqsfjZt23jPElv8HtK2ak8G9FDqjQDBO7Dqozhs3uZYLQ6cp8ik-l5xISOMXIBvNxpSIk4

This was back in the mid 80s at an open day at Inverness station and I think one of the early trips for the Deltic after it had been retired from its ECML duties.

Last edited:
Obviously highly photoshopped, but this was originally a photograph. There was a lot of clutter that I didn't especially like.Old-328.jpg

A few shots from last weeks Deltic 55009 visit to Carnforth for a loaded test run up to Carlisle.

1. Lancaster on Tuesday - up from Barrow Hill

i-s4hLcKS-X2.jpg

2. Carnforth Wednesday morning

i-dfFVdDD-X2.jpg

i-b7rvT2r-X2.jpg

4. Morecambe South Junction Thursday - back to Barrow Hill

i-4ZcDb32-X2.jpg

i-jc7xpCc-X2.jpg

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I’m off to the national railway museum at York next week for a look around and to also see the flying Scotsman.
It’s my first visit there and I’m wondering what the lighting is like inside? And any tips from people who may have visited in the past? Is everything located indoors? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and the lighting looks like it might be a bit tricky.
Many thanks

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help, I’m off to the national railway museum at York next week for a look around and to also see the flying Scotsman.
It’s my first visit there and I’m wondering what the lighting is like inside? And any tips from people who may have visited in the past? Is everything located indoors? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and the lighting looks like it might be a bit tricky.
Many thanks
Wow! I haven't been there since 2018! The lighting isn't horrendous but most of the images I took that day were at ISO 3200 - 5000, with the odd one below 1000. Hope that helps and don't forget to post some images afterwards :)

Back