Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

It's a while ago..2013. I've just got Google Earth up and I went down Arley Lane (I think) ...by car over the SVR railway bridge where Arley station is down to the left past the Harbour Inn pub on your right and after 25m go right into the village car park .Lots of space. Just after that car park the road takes a sharp left but straight ahead is a lattice iron footbridge to the rest of the village on the other side of the Severn. If you get Google Earth and 'get down on the road" you'll see where I mean. Just put in Arley station.,Worcestershire ..or Harbour Inn. So..I went in to the car park and parked up and went out at the far end over a gate into a field, keeping left. I carried on going through what I think are called 'kissing gates'..Then ahead up on the embankment was the railway. Go left.. through another gate and then right and you're alongside the river which is on your left and the Victoria Bridge is right there. You can get a close-up shot there but it's distorted because you really need a wide angle lens..(I had a 17-40mm) because you have to angle up to the bridge an d it was obvious that better shot could be had further along the bank. I carried on along the pathway and came to a house behind the high hedge on my right. Just passed that house on the left was a short clear area of grasses by a tree. I went down towards the tree on the embankment ..a lot of it was over the river and I used a thick bough to get me right on the edge of the river..infact, maybe a foot over the water and was able to get that view back to the bridge. I used a 70-200mm lens on a 5D..at 200mm.
Thnik i've got you and the path seems to be marked on google as well

Capture.PNG

A Siemens SC44 "Charger" bringing the morning train from St. Louis, Missouri, through Normal, Illinois, on the way to Chicago.

Attachments

• Amtrak Train 302 Arriving Normal, Illinois, 11-2022.jpg
    Amtrak Train 302 Arriving Normal, Illinois, 11-2022.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 11
A couple of Class 68's, these were taken no more than an hour apart, yet the weather was completely different.

TransPennine Express 68022 by Adam P, on Flickr

TransPennine Express 68029 by Adam P, on Flickr
.... I love the Class68 and think they look good in any light. I like the first shot best - Nice sense of perspective and LEDs on.

Unfortunately I have never seen one down south and missed seeing one visiting Severn Valley Railway. They look funky!

Last edited:
.... I love the Class68 and think they look good in any light. I like the first shot best - Nice sense of perspective and LEDs on.

Unfortunately I have never seen one down south and missed seeing one visiting Severn Valley Railway. They look funky!

I did a return trip to Scarborough from York on them a couple of weeks ago, it was a very nice journey, I'd recommend it if you're ever in the area.

I often see the class 68s at Doncaster and York when I’m out and about. Very nice locos.
I really like the above photos of them.

Thanks I'll go and have a look now. I think I've walked through some of those woods but could be wrong. I am just worried whether I am tresspassing on peoples land etc.
Erdington Bank is a good spot for Panning , It's a fairly long stretch and has very easy access from the Road. In the one direction going towards Bridgnorth they are going up hill so tend to give it a bit of wellie. If you find Eardington Station which is right next to the road head towards Bridgnorth over the railway Bridge then about 100 yards further you come to a pull in on your left there is a pedestrian gate on the other side of the road which puts you in a Field alongside Eardington Bank, Drive a little further and again on you left is Eardington Nature reserve where you can also Park As you walk back to the Road turn left then right into what looks like a farm track ( a short distance) You can get into the same field here but walk a little further along the track ( ignore the no entry signs as this refers to cars , it is a Public foot path) This will put you on a small Bridge over the Railway , you get a good view here but carry on turn left and left again ( not very far) and this will put you at Rail Level looking at the stone Bridge. As another Alternative if you head towards Chelmarsh just before the Right bend on both sides is a gravel pull in , carry on walking the way you have just driven ( again not very far) take the second gateway nearest the Bridge over the road, a short way down on your right you can get in the field crossing the railway via a style. If you just walk from the car you can get the trains crossing the road on the same Bridge. There are loads of points along the Railway with great views. I live on the Route and travel up and down it everyday. A little further towards Bridgnorth is this place flour mill the road up to it off the main road is a public foot path and puts you on one end of a large multi archway stone Railway Bridge again a lovely spot !

Last edited:
Erdington Bank is a good spot for Panning , It's a fairly long stretch and has very easy access from the Road. In the one direction going towards Bridgnorth they are going up hill so tend to give it a bit of wellie.
.... I have only visited SVR twice but got this pan on Erdington Bank last time :

1930s STREAMLINER! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Than

Thanks I'll go and have a look now. I think I've walked through some of those woods but could be wrong. I am just worried whether I am tresspassing on peoples land etc.
I don't recall walking through woods..just following what appears to be a public footpath around the edge of fields with those gates at intervals. The woods were on the far side..the north side of the river.

Also..re Badger.Brad's post above recommending Erdington Bank . As you see from Robin's pan shot a good open vista and here are 2 photos I took there with the first one giving you a good view of the location. Having entered the field from the roadway I walked to the right and sat there for both shots. The second shot shows the loco directly infront of me just before it enters a tunnel. Another good spot there is to walk to the far corner. As you see, in the second photo, the field slopes sharply down to the embankment and in that far corner is a spot to look up at locos coming from the tunnel direction. I don't have photos taken from there but maybe no trains came for me to test it. During the SVR events..Autumn Steam Gala for example, I've been told that it's heaving in that field so obviously no problem re trespassing. I'm sure there were sheep there on one occasion I went. Be careful because it really is a steep slope down to the embankment.

GWR 2800 Class.
14.GWR 2800 Class.jpg

15.GWR 2800 Class.jpg

Erdington Bank is a good spot for Panning , It's a fairly long stretch and has very easy access from the Road. In the one direction going towards Bridgnorth they are going up hill so tend to give it a bit of wellie. If you find Eardington Station which is right next to the road head towards Bridgnorth over the railway Bridge then about 100 yards further you come to a pull in on your left there is a pedestrian gate on the other side of the road which puts you in a Field alongside Eardington Bank, Drive a little further and again on you left is Eardington Nature reserve where you can also Park As you walk back to the Road turn left then right into what looks like a farm track ( a short distance) You can get into the same field here but walk a little further along the track ( ignore the no entry signs as this refers to cars , it is a Public foot path) This will put you on a small Bridge over the Railway , you get a good view here but carry on turn left and left again ( not very far) and this will put you at Rail Level looking at the stone Bridge. As another Alternative if you head towards Chelmarsh just before the Right bend on both sides is a gravel pull in , carry on walking the way you have just driven ( again not very far) take the second gateway nearest the Bridge over the road, a short way down on your right you can get in the field crossing the railway via a style. If you just walk from the car you can get the trains crossing the road on the same Bridge. There are loads of points along the Railway with great views. I live on the Route and travel up and down it everyday. A little further towards Bridgnorth is this place flour mill the road up to it off the main road is a public foot path and puts you on one end of a large multi archway stone Railway Bridge again a lovely spot !
That’s brilliant thanks. I’ll have a proper look on Google once back on a proper computer (on ipad tonight)

I may have a look and see when the Santa specials are running and go for a look one December weekend. Coming from the other side of birmingham so will need to plan it a bit and make sure there is enough to see.

Having said that the specials run no further than Arley so don’t think that will work!!!

I don't recall walking through woods..just following what appears to be a public footpath around the edge of fields with those gates at intervals. The woods were on the far side..the north side of the river.

Also..re Badger.Brad's post above recommending Erdington Bank . As you see from Robin's pan shot a good open vista and here are 2 photos I took there with the first one giving you a good view of the location. Having entered the field from the roadway I walked to the right and sat there for both shots. The second shot shows the loco directly infront of me just before it enters a tunnel. Another good spot there is to walk to the far corner. As you see, in the second photo, the field slopes sharply down to the embankment and in that far corner is a spot to look up at locos coming from the tunnel direction. I don't have photos taken from there but maybe no trains came for me to test it. During the SVR events..Autumn Steam Gala for example, I've been told that it's heaving in that field so obviously no problem re trespassing. I'm sure there were sheep there on one occasion I went. Be careful because it really is a steep slope down to the embankment.

GWR 2800 Class.
View attachment 374816

View attachment 374817
Does look like a really good spot.

I did once find this spot but wasn’t sure if I was trespassing. Don’t know where it was though. Think it was close to kiddie

Had to screenshot the raw even that’s too large - amazing how difficult it is still to use lifhtroom or photoshop on a non standard computer… will have to upload later

Managed it by compressing the screenshot in photoshop express… madness

7B934CD4-D3A6-4DE7-9F85-F57F0EA75CDB.jpeg

Thanks, I think I found the first place
Capture.JPG

and this looks like the second although it does say no public right of way? is that what you mean, ignore that?

Capture2.JPG

It does seem that the second spot you are talking about is where my photo is taken. That was 2013 but the layout looks familier. I think I was standing by that house

Capture3.JPG

I'll have a look at the Chelmarsh one in a bit, presume thats a different location. Edit: Think I have it

Capture4.JPG

Last edited:
SOMEWHERE IN WILTSHIRE ....

A Class 159 commuter train on the West of England Mainline. I snapped this shot while on a recce for a panning location when a steam train is scheduled. I am not a great fan of multiple unit types of trains but like the smart livery and modern appearance of this one set in beautiful countryside.

SOMEWHERE IN WILTSHIRE .... by Robin Procter, on Flickr

A JAVELIN LANDS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The Class395 known as Javelins were built in Japan by Hitachi and shipped to the UK to operate new high speed domestic services in 2017. The trains are the fastest operating domestic service trains in the United Kingdom, capable of running at a maximum speed of 140 mph. But what is the maximum speed that they are allowed?

I do believe the speed limit is 125mph ... but I could be wrong :)

Although it needs levelling up it is a nice picture BTW (y)

Test / learning run for the Midland Pullman today. Seen here crossing the River Lune as it heads into Lancaster station.

i-9Cv2ZHB-X2.jpg

i-g8pwGBn-X2.jpg

i-3XdVdfC-X2.jpg

The Class395 known as Javelins were built in Japan by Hitachi and shipped to the UK to operate new high speed domestic services in 2017. The trains are the fastest operating domestic service trains in the United Kingdom, capable of running at a maximum speed of 140 mph. But what is the maximum speed that they are allowed?
It's 140mph (225km/h) on HS1 using TVM in cab signalling and overhead power, 100mph on conventional lines using third rail power. As you've said these are the only trains allowed above 125mph due to their in cab signalling, the class 91 powered Intercity 225 service was also intended to run at 140mph down the east coast main line but never could as the line as never upgraded from its conventional signals. I've been having a go at driving the Javelin in Train Sim World 3 and the first time I've seen the TVM system in action, it's very clever that it doesn't just show the speed limit but also guides your braking for coming into a station.

Living up in the Highlands unfortunately there's not a lot of great trains up here but there are occasional highlights. I'd long lost interest with trains in the 90s when the Super and Express Sprinters had been introduced and replaced the class 37's however when going across town one day I spotted a large BR logo sitting at the station. I went across to have a look and couldn't believe it, there was a class 37 in its class BR large logo livery and not only that it was the one named after our very own depot. It's just an incredible coincidence I happened to see this locomotive and I've struggled to see at all since when trying, it remains my absolute favourite - 37025, an original 37/0 still with its split box nose, large logo livery, Inverness TMD name and Highland Stag depot logo:

y4mSy_ZfWkyV_22CX8iuomhcf5kgjjeFbdB7T6-NGJMWOQ8xXnuns3jKHxD3f08i0bua8T9JIc5EVA8L3D-fl4L_7ZxgC8ph1Ug4wreMz4gWr1EhJXDPbLIZXWWOUAaWuvL4kaK-on9LlNHpzyrXXiKt1yoR7MdopvV4ftfzPMtqNVtiOw5jH_3rFQPIGkd9Fjr

The Highlander Sleeper service leaves Inverness joining the Aberdeen and Fort William sections at Edinburgh where a 92 is swapped in and hauls the combined carriages down to London while the refurbished class 73/9's haul the carriages through the non-electrified section. These are an unusual locomotive as they were original for third rail areas far away from the Highlands with a small 500bhp diesel engine to allow them some movement off third rail power, much less than the 1600bhp they had on third rail. GBRF refurbished a number of them upgrading their diesel engines to 1600bhp, fitting ETS, Dellner couplers for the new mk5 sleeper coaches and a few other improvements. The original intention was for two 73's to haul the Inverness section but with just six 73's refurbed for the sleeper coaches, the Inverness section is now usually a mix of a 66 and 73 or more recently an ex-Colas 67 with the 73. Here a couple of 73's power across the Culloden viaduct in the fading light:

y4mbL-XxkW1A-uJhnzA201gezv2SxQyiTlpMzxQXu8vZ0Fau4Z6LriaS2M-xK0Jp7GCTUX2awPVXyWwlT2N7r_GZ3zhwKuYqapnpUJId0bBX7AfhiTjl6Vd_xiEVYdelLyD4Fk8Cl2e28Be6ijY8jlDCVUIkwCk9ny3OFgYQwuX8T0HOc8kHFIr6u39GgCMRuYS

There is a daily intermodal service to Inverness usually hauled by a 66 although for a while once the 68's were freed from their Fife Circle passenger service, we were getting an odd 68 instead which was a great sight. They're easily my favourite of the modern locomotives and have a surprisingly good roar as they throttle up the incline to leave Inverness. This is 68007 'Valiant' after having its Scotrail vinyls removed and back to DRS leaving Inverness and passing one of the Scotrail HSTs:

y4mqVp8mCU1getQh710ilYHP9sFIhKSphsCF5tZCeW9SpuGfsSnc3xiw9bZWkX4EQUKCnD37pBOVM4UosAyqc0Q8hjQN5hDCWywcU0mbvZA0PYFc1wrHO4eCElmrCWv7-Q0ca4Zjn0qVmka50P0CHLczYVHvUxs1pIFBoKAEjwIxto4pp6zsWDWp7AkmIr2uGug

Although the 37's are my favourites, the 47's are a close second. When going down to the station at night to see the sleeper leave, it was often a pair of 37's rarely in matching liveries and needing a generator van when it was non-ETS equipped freight 37/0's that had been pinched or similar. However other times it was a 47 which seemed so mighty and powerful since it only needed one with no generator van either and rather than a mish-mash of liveries it would be in its sleek InterCity Swallow livery matching the coaches. While 37s have been regular visitors as part of their track inspection work, 47s are much rarer visitors and usually only here on railtours - this is I think the only current 47 in IC livery on a railtour sitting at the very platform I used to see them on the sleeper:

y4muJ00ATNb5QkPdsP3_ZYOUEQkemhY0-FyrepxTZ3QoobZa7kCgIOo9Ylh-Bzl5-Wvqu6kMR-BbaQdiBNTX7f5HDrFh7Qg8p1OYtivc38wP_3qGc35KNBWXvZv3VbYInRZd26sQoub9-0eyZOZ4H3rhJJC8zRXUeao17HuCk_TGDPFCqsAWFO73kJRQLbBONre

One steam engine that needs no introduction:

y4m5fr9mTiV2PQrV3uzdlpFGwvwn1tbr8NbvtHiHbm9_FakfkicPFIQpILcO75KTGfXUccouSH21hfWCVyD1Dv6WgReOpaxXrw5BEU5pPe_fE_RP41vZDbow9VVELNSfP0c5JscrefAZdrmUag6k9BnptN0_uYEBQQ2G5isXq43hq3NOiJPR7PbOJwGxEOUPYUp

It was running with the Mayflower which headed off on its own for the day after, the Flying Scotsman remained here for a couple of weeks after due to problems:

y4mY2Eo2Pm1EEjlaF-DxqxOjvDMrwYAsv0pNDVpJSMyVE9q92Tpz728Fkq_ghiv7L_2mPv6B1VO0JEq9IOHV-aP5rn70xidvWHKSH5fvHwPQsTsfH_S4gEI1z1dKQxXZsuECPL-98p0Ci21_g1asDhud_8M9XI8tw2HIvAYkR3YrlJOorNCVinA3WA7x--AZWYT

Last edited:
It's 140mph (225km/h) on HS1 using TVM in cab signalling and overhead power, 100mph on conventional lines using third rail power. As you've said these are the only trains allowed above 125mph due to their in cab signalling, the class 91 powered Intercity 225 service was also intended to run at 140mph down the east coast main line but never could as the line as never upgraded from its conventional signals. I've been having a go at driving the Javelin in Train Sim World 3 and the first time I've seen the TVM system in action, it's very clever that it doesn't just show the speed limit but also guides your braking for coming into a station.

Living up in the Highlands unfortunately there's not a lot of great trains up here but there are occasional highlights. I'd long lost interest with trains in the 90s when the Super and Express Sprinters had been introduced and replaced the class 37's however when going across town one day I spotted a large BR logo sitting at the station. I went across to have a look and couldn't believe it, there was a class 37 in its class BR large logo livery and not only that it was the one named after our very own depot. It's just an incredible coincidence I happened to see this locomotive and I've struggled to see at all since when trying, it remains my absolute favourite - 37025, an original 37/0 still with its split box nose, large logo livery, Inverness TMD name and Highland Stag depot logo:

y4mSy_ZfWkyV_22CX8iuomhcf5kgjjeFbdB7T6-NGJMWOQ8xXnuns3jKHxD3f08i0bua8T9JIc5EVA8L3D-fl4L_7ZxgC8ph1Ug4wreMz4gWr1EhJXDPbLIZXWWOUAaWuvL4kaK-on9LlNHpzyrXXiKt1yoR7MdopvV4ftfzPMtqNVtiOw5jH_3rFQPIGkd9Fjr

The Highlander Sleeper service leaves Inverness joining the Aberdeen and Fort William sections at Edinburgh where a 92 is swapped in and hauls the combined carriages down to London while the refurbished class 73/9's haul the carriages through the non-electrified section. These are an unusual locomotive as they were original for third rail areas far away from the Highlands with a small 500bhp diesel engine to allow them some movement off third rail power, much less than the 1600bhp they had on third rail. GBRF refurbished a number of them upgrading their diesel engines to 1600bhp, fitting ETS, Dellner couplers for the new mk5 sleeper coaches and a few other improvements. The original intention was for two 73's to haul the Inverness section but with just six 73's refurbed for the sleeper coaches, the Inverness section is now usually a mix of a 66 and 73 or more recently an ex-Colas 67 with the 73. Here a couple of 73's power across the Culloden viaduct in the fading light:

y4mbL-XxkW1A-uJhnzA201gezv2SxQyiTlpMzxQXu8vZ0Fau4Z6LriaS2M-xK0Jp7GCTUX2awPVXyWwlT2N7r_GZ3zhwKuYqapnpUJId0bBX7AfhiTjl6Vd_xiEVYdelLyD4Fk8Cl2e28Be6ijY8jlDCVUIkwCk9ny3OFgYQwuX8T0HOc8kHFIr6u39GgCMRuYS

There is a daily intermodal service to Inverness usually hauled by a 66 although for a while once the 68's were freed from their Fife Circle passenger service, we were getting an odd 68 instead which was a great sight. They're easily my favourite of the modern locomotives and have a surprisingly good roar as they throttle up the incline to leave Inverness. This is 68007 'Valiant' after having its Scotrail vinyls removed and back to DRS leaving Inverness and passing one of the Scotrail HSTs:

y4mqVp8mCU1getQh710ilYHP9sFIhKSphsCF5tZCeW9SpuGfsSnc3xiw9bZWkX4EQUKCnD37pBOVM4UosAyqc0Q8hjQN5hDCWywcU0mbvZA0PYFc1wrHO4eCElmrCWv7-Q0ca4Zjn0qVmka50P0CHLczYVHvUxs1pIFBoKAEjwIxto4pp6zsWDWp7AkmIr2uGug

Although the 37's are my favourites, the 47's are a close second. When going down to the station at night to see the sleeper leave, it was often a pair of 37's rarely in matching liveries and needing a generator van when it was non-ETS equipped freight 37/0's that had been pinched or similar. However other times it was a 47 which seemed so mighty and powerful since it only needed one with no generator van either and rather than a mish-mash of liveries it would be in its sleek InterCity Swallow livery matching the coaches. While 37s have been regular visitors as part of their track inspection work, 47s are much rarer visitors and usually only here on railtours - this is I think the only current 47 in IC livery on a railtour sitting at the very platform I used to see them on the sleeper:

y4muJ00ATNb5QkPdsP3_ZYOUEQkemhY0-FyrepxTZ3QoobZa7kCgIOo9Ylh-Bzl5-Wvqu6kMR-BbaQdiBNTX7f5HDrFh7Qg8p1OYtivc38wP_3qGc35KNBWXvZv3VbYInRZd26sQoub9-0eyZOZ4H3rhJJC8zRXUeao17HuCk_TGDPFCqsAWFO73kJRQLbBONre

One steam engine that needs no introduction:

y4m5fr9mTiV2PQrV3uzdlpFGwvwn1tbr8NbvtHiHbm9_FakfkicPFIQpILcO75KTGfXUccouSH21hfWCVyD1Dv6WgReOpaxXrw5BEU5pPe_fE_RP41vZDbow9VVELNSfP0c5JscrefAZdrmUag6k9BnptN0_uYEBQQ2G5isXq43hq3NOiJPR7PbOJwGxEOUPYUp

It was running with the Mayflower which headed off on its own for the day after, the Flying Scotsman remained here for a couple of weeks after due to problems:

y4mY2Eo2Pm1EEjlaF-DxqxOjvDMrwYAsv0pNDVpJSMyVE9q92Tpz728Fkq_ghiv7L_2mPv6B1VO0JEq9IOHV-aP5rn70xidvWHKSH5fvHwPQsTsfH_S4gEI1z1dKQxXZsuECPL-98p0Ci21_g1asDhud_8M9XI8tw2HIvAYkR3YrlJOorNCVinA3WA7x--AZWYT

.... Thank you so much for such comprehensive information! Very interesting.

I think it's fair to say that what trains you see in the Scottish Highlands lack in quantity they more than make up for in quality and interest!

Last edited:
Test / learning run for the Midland Pullman today. Seen here crossing the River Lune as it heads into Lancaster station.

i-9Cv2ZHB-X2.jpg

i-g8pwGBn-X2.jpg

i-3XdVdfC-X2.jpg
.... Photos 1 & 2 do it for me - I am loving the blue train on blue bridge connection.

I do believe the speed limit is 125mph ... but I could be wrong :)

Although it needs levelling up it is a nice picture BTW (y)
.... :ROFLMAO: Thanks but that's very funny because the original is level and I very purposefully angled it to give a better impression of motion. Otherwise the shot is a bit boring by comparison and the result is far more dynamic. Doing so also takes better care of any wide-angle lens distortion.

I am a retired-but-hardwired professional Art Director and never feel restricted by conventions :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
This Midland Pullman stopped at Gloucester this morning . I've been hoping to see it for quite a while. Almost got to see it last year but en-route from through Wales it was diverted but did come through Gloucester, eventually but by that time I was back home. About September it did come through but frustratingly, it was hauled by a normal diesel. The blue loco was at the rear. That came up from Bristol ..I think beyond that Yeovil, so maybe no turntable down that way.

This morning, this one was due at 0853 but arrived about 0810 by which time there was more light. Sunrise was 0745 which is why I had to go to the grotty station to get it rather than out in the countryside like the one back up the thread of this same train taken by-Oy- on January 27th. I prefer 'clean' shots. Lamp posts, the structure at the right end of the foot bridge,the car park, the apartment block ..oh..and the weeds on the tracks. To cap it all something went amiss with the auto focus...no red focusing points, no "in focus alert'. I think this one was taken on manual focus. which I had to resort to. Just about got away with it. I seemed to be jinxed with this train..lol. After getting home and switching the camera off/on it sorted whatever it was. I should have tried that in situ.. It's an unusual train so I've posted it anyway against my better judgement. A seat in the dining carriages for two cost £800. It ran from Cardiff to Carlisle.

"Galatea" coming through the county and stopping at this station too, at 1255 today but I'll go out into the countryside because the station gets very crowded with enthusiasts when steam locos call in. Still heavily overcast, unfortunately.

24.Midland Pullman (24 of 1).jpg

Back