Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Swanage, Dorset - a couple of weeks ago

"Eddystone"

TP_Eddystone.jpg

TP_Eddystone_2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is a really good idea. I've always had to closely scan 'Transport ' for steam locos.

I took these photos yesterday at Standish Junction, Stonehouse near Stroud Glos. The Hitachi Class 800..Azuma (dual power..electric but switches to diesel where there are no overheads yet) caused the Cotswold Venturer, hauled by Clan Line to wait at Gloucester station for 10 minutes to get some distance between them as they both headed to Paddington. I watched it at a red light on the bend (second photo) and then it trundled along and stopped infront of the bridge I was on. Normally, it would be doing 60mph. I was a bit ambitious on this occasion and used my 100-400mm lens resting on a bean bag on the bridge wall to get the first distance shot of it on the bend and had my 24-105mm on a tripod ,set up with a remote cable and manually-focused a bit above the track infront of the bridge but as it turned out I had plenty of time to do both. I'll probably get caught out if I try it again.

An interesting read https://www.clan-line.org.uk/35028-2/

The Hitachi 800-Azuma came through first..Azuma meands 'East'. Another intersting read. https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/8011/5-facts-you-may-not-know-about-the-azuma-train/

These photos are sharp on my iMac screen ..27" too but seem to have lost a touch on here which I think others have experienced from time to time.

Hitachi 800-Azuma.jpg

81.Clan Line.jpg

Clan Line.jpg

Great Western Railways took delivery of these Azuma 800s (BR Class 800 to replace the Intercity 125's ) in dark green livery but I was able to photograph them as they did test runs into the south west before they were painted GWR green. I can't find out what the official colour name is. I was told that there were no passengers..just sandbags to represent weight whilst the technicians did their stuff. I prefer this 'out of the factory colour' They just look more dynamic. I've been to Paddington on one and they are much smoother and quieter but as common consensus has it, the seats aren't as comfortable as the IC 125's. It was a rocky start for them with GWR https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-mark-great-western-railways-new-train-launch

Taken at Flax Bourton SW of Bristol.
82.Hitachi-Azuma-800.jpg

St Mary's crossing near Stroud.
83.Hitachi-800.jpg

Last edited:
Stayed at the Burr's country park caravan club site , they paid for the station to be built so camc members get 2 round trip tickets for £14.50
Nice view from the pitches ,The Union Of South Africa
20210812_131358.jpg

When the train stops to let you out, it's nice if there's a roof over the platform to keep the rain off...

DLR station at Canary Wharf London 1020056.JPG

I came across this thread and went through it yesterday for the first time. I was about to post my Clan Line etc in 'Transport'. I wonder if Staff would consider moving any railway-related photos out of transport into here. Geoff (aka Ryewolf) posts very good steam loco photos but still in Transport.. three to the best of my knowledge since this thread was introduced. Maybe, like me he hasn't seen this thread yet. As it stands it's best to view both threads. Just a thought.

Just a thought.
My original plan was to avoid making this a thread that gets too heavy with a single type of picture. I'd like to see people posting their explorations of railways in general. Obviously, it's up to the posters what they choose to post but my plea is for diversity.

Cambrian Coast Express hauled by Network Rail 97303 and 97304 Jon TIley, passing Ynysgyffylog Crossing where I was annoyed the headboard wasn't in focus.(but did get the roadkill!)..so second attempt on the return leg on Barmouth Bridge.
XT2B1861.jpg

XT2B1973.jpg

These are from Warnemunde (or somewhere nearby) way back in 2008. Taken with my first DSLR, a Nikon D40, with 18-55mm kit lens. The lady standing on the platform between carriages in the third image was my dearly departed mother.
D40 - DSC_1624.JPG
D40 - DSC_1629.JPG
D40 - DSC_1646.JPG

Great Western Railways took delivery of these Azuma 800s (BR Class 800 to replace the Intercity 125's ) in dark green livery but I was able to photograph them as they did test runs into the south west before they were painted GWR green. I can't find out what the official colour name is. I was told that there were no passengers..just sandbags to represent weight whilst the technicians did their stuff. I prefer this 'out of the factory colour' They just look more dynamic. I've been to Paddington on one and they are much smoother and quieter but as common consensus has it, the seats aren't as comfortable as the IC 125's. It was a rocky start for them with GWR https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-mark-great-western-railways-new-train-launch
My first experience with one of these was on an intensely cold day when they didn't seem to have realised that passengers, unlike sandbags, prefer heated carriages. The seats definitely aren't as comfortable as on the HSTs, and personally I haven't found the ride on the new trains smoother (rather the reverse). Oh well, that's progress!

The Welsh Highland Railway, at Caernarvon Station

I love trains, be it real life size and models.

I've captured this Stanier Black 5 storming through Folkestone on my trusty Nikon D7000 a couple of years ago, it was the first time I've seen a Black 5 in the flesh and was blessed with good light on the moment.

Black 5 May19.jpg

Why bother with reading the newspaper when you can use your laptop on the train?

Using a computer on the train.JPG

Back