Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Well, it runs on rails :)

Taken at Beamish.

i-CxX3dvw-X2.jpg

Hi all, I was waiting for a train at Doncaster this morning and in pulled this loco. Admittedly it’s an I phone pic but I thought it might be worth sharing.

Attachments

• 8BA287A9-EB3D-4BDE-A9C9-4E5FEA9966E2.jpeg
    8BA287A9-EB3D-4BDE-A9C9-4E5FEA9966E2.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 11
So how do I add one of my images in a reply to this thread?

On one of the Rail Strike days. This train was operational but the media had scared off the passengers < At least I think that's what scared them off this particular train. South West Trains call it their 'Trainbow' livery. I'm surprised they didn't have an all-black livery during the Black Lives Matter campaign. What's next I wonder.

LGBT vs SWT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

CATTLE TRAINSPOTTERS !!

TRAINSPOTTING CATTLE!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

This herd has grown up alongside the railway and are completely unphased, even when the engine whistles as it is compulsory to do when approaching crossings. It is actually officially named 'Cowpats Crossing'!

Last edited:
Wow I like that. Was that taken on the swanage line the other week?
.... Thank you James! Yes on Scotty's first day of train services on Swanage Railway, October 22nd 2022. I also photographed her when she visited Swanage a few years earlier.

.... Thank you James! Yes on Scotty's first day of train services on Swanage Railway, October 22nd 2022. I also photographed her when she visited Swanage a few years earlier.

Love the sense of speed - don't often see it in railway photos

Here are 2 I took yesterday morning after I saw that Britannia was passing through the Midlands (Marston Green station). Not a big loco photorapher. I think the last time I saw her was when my dad took me to see her on the Nene Valley Railway, I must have been about 10 around the mid ninties... I'd love to do more - especially like yours but I just don't know any good locations or where to go (on the main line or Heritage) to get a good pan with scenry or even just a good bend with an interesting backround.

Silly me with these, Given the early start - about 7am - I forgot I had my ISO set for indoor shooting @ 3200 and didn't get chance to change it, so a fair amount of noise reduction applied. Great light though. Need to use spot mode next time and focus on the number/smokebox door as well I think as the focus point is not 100% where I want it on the second image.

5G4A6419-Edit.jpg5G4A6420-Edit.jpg

"Erlestoke Manor" crosses Victoria Bridge over the River Severn between Arley and Bewdley in Worcestershire. Taken with one foot on the bank and the other on a sturdy (I hoped..lol) tree branch a couple of feet above the water..a tad risky but you have to get the shot don't you :)

View attachment 357351
Hi - How do you get to this sort of location on the SVR?

Here are 2 I took yesterday morning after I saw that Britannia was passing through the Midlands (Marston Green station). Not a big loco photorapher. I think the last time I saw her was when my dad took me to see her on the Nene Valley Railway, I must have been about 10 around the mid ninties... I'd love to do more - especially like yours but I just don't know any good locations or where to go (on the main line or Heritage) to get a good pan with scenry or even just a good bend with an interesting backround.

Silly me with these, Given the early start - about 7am - I forgot I had my ISO set for indoor shooting @ 3200 and didn't get chance to change it, so a fair amount of noise reduction applied. Great light though. Need to use spot mode next time and focus on the number/smokebox door as well I think as the focus point is not 100% where I want it on the second image.

View attachment 374668View attachment 374669
.... The light in these two is stunning! Of the two I prefer the first because you can see further into the distance and the perspective adds to a sense of speed.

Everyone who has tried it knows how hit&miss panning shots can be, even with latest state-of-the-art camera technology. It's even more difficult when panning from a three-quarter rather than side-on position but this one worked (IMO). It was the only successful one out of about 20.

'EDDYSTONE' AT SPEED by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... It sometimes takes several visits to get to know the best spots to suit what photos you would like to achieve and especially for panning. And then you find you need to practice and learn from your inevitable mistakes - Panning trains has a relatively low hit-rate.

I am literally midst planning a 120-mile roundtrip to recce 6 spots on the mainline. Only 2 of the spots have the theoretical opportunity for panning.

This one is very recent on my local (1-hour drive away) Heritage line :

RUNNING BACKWARDS 'AT SPEED'! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

View attachment 374668View attachment 374669
They are brilliant, well done, the light is fantastic.

Reactions: A_S
Hi - How do you get to this sort of location on the SVR?

It's a while ago..2013. I've just got Google Earth up and I went down Arley Lane (I think) ...by car over the SVR railway bridge where Arley station is down to the left past the Harbour Inn pub on your right and after 25m go right into the village car park .Lots of space. Just after that car park the road takes a sharp left but straight ahead is a lattice iron footbridge to the rest of the village on the other side of the Severn. If you get Google Earth and 'get down on the road" you'll see where I mean. Just put in Arley station.,Worcestershire ..or Harbour Inn. So..I went in to the car park and parked up and went out at the far end over a gate into a field, keeping left. I carried on going through what I think are called 'kissing gates'..Then ahead up on the embankment was the railway. Go left.. through another gate and then right and you're alongside the river which is on your left and the Victoria Bridge is right there. You can get a close-up shot there but it's distorted because you really need a wide angle lens..(I had a 17-40mm) because you have to angle up to the bridge an d it was obvious that better shot could be had further along the bank. I carried on along the pathway and came to a house behind the high hedge on my right. Just passed that house on the left was a short clear area of grasses by a tree. I went down towards the tree on the embankment ..a lot of it was over the river and I used a thick bough to get me right on the edge of the river..infact, maybe a foot over the water and was able to get that view back to the bridge. I used a 70-200mm lens on a 5D..at 200mm.

Than
It's a while ago..2013. I've just got Google Earth up and I went down Arley Lane (I think) ...by car over the SVR railway bridge where Arley station is down to the left past the Harbour Inn pub on your right and after 25m go right into the village car park .Lots of space. Just after that car park the road takes a sharp left but straight ahead is a lattice iron footbridge to the rest of the village on the other side of the Severn. If you get Google Earth and 'get down on the road" you'll see where I mean. Just put in Arley station.,Worcestershire ..or Harbour Inn. So..I went in to the car park and parked up and went out at the far end over a gate into a field, keeping left. I carried on going through what I think are called 'kissing gates'..Then ahead up on the embankment was the railway. Go left.. through another gate and then right and you're alongside the river which is on your left and the Victoria Bridge is right there. You can get a close-up shot there but it's distorted because you really need a wide angle lens..(I had a 17-40mm) because you have to angle up to the bridge an d it was obvious that better shot could be had further along the bank. I carried on along the pathway and came to a house behind the high hedge on my right. Just passed that house on the left was a short clear area of grasses by a tree. I went down towards the tree on the embankment ..a lot of it was over the river and I used a thick bough to get me right on the edge of the river..infact, maybe a foot over the water and was able to get that view back to the bridge. I used a 70-200mm lens on a 5D..at 200mm.

Thanks I'll go and have a look now. I think I've walked through some of those woods but could be wrong. I am just worried whether I am tresspassing on peoples land etc.

Back