Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Thanks

will do. Being in the midlands most steam services seem to by pass us :(
.... If you are in reach of the famous Lickey Incline from Bromsgrove up towards Birmingahm it's worth a visit. I went to Bromsgrove Public School and so it was my local about 60-70 years ago.

Railway Advent will inform you generally of what's happening on the mainline. Otherwise, heritage lines have steam.

Last edited:
I'm in Sutton Coldfield so anything east side of Birmingham is good, especially going via the goods line that bypasses Brum. There is the Shakespeare express and others but it looks thin on the ground, especially as the tours going north seem to be Diesel hauled until preston/carnforth etc and the ones going south out of Brum to the south west tend to be the same by the looks of things.

Tempted to drive to somewhere on the SVR tomorrow.

Looks much better in my opinion back in blue instead of boring black.

A4 Class 'Sir Nigel Gresley', classmate of the famous speed record breaking 'Mallard' but 60007 also was officially recorded at 112mph and carries a plaque.

ELEGANT FROM ANY ANGLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Flying Scotsman blasted through here today on her way down to Cardiff with an RTC excursion from Paddington. I was in a rush as my planned location has been closed off by Network Rail and I only just had time to get to Patchway station before she was due. As always there was a bit of a crowd on the station platforms so I apologise in advance about the quality of this image ... it was the best I could manage :(
DSC_2958-2.jpg

The ugly overhead wires really puts a damper on the scene from here. Please, God, don't let Network Rail find the money to electrify the line from Parkway down into Temple Meads.

Flying Scotsman blasted through here today on her way down to Cardiff with an RTC excursion from Paddington. I was in a rush as my planned location has been closed off by Network Rail and I only just had time to get to Patchway station before she was due. As always there was a bit of a crowd on the station platforms so I apologise in advance about the quality of this image ... it was the best I could manage :(
View attachment 391938

The ugly overhead wires really puts a damper on the scene from here. Please, God, don't let Network Rail find the money to electrify the line from Parkway down into Temple Meads.
.... That's a very nice shot.

I actually like all the railway infrastructure of gantries and wires. It's a nice juxtaposition with the era of steam.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the kind words (y) I'm gonna have to disagree with you about the overheads and gantries though ;)

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the kind words (y) I'm gonna have to disagree with you about the overheads and gantries though ;)

Just noticed. I gave Robin a like..I was in agreement with his comment re the photo not his liking of the overhead gantries, which, like you, I loathe. No 'like'; now...lol

I went to Churcham, outside Gloucester, this afternoon to photograph the two Castles hauling the Welch Marshes Express on the return leg of a Birmingham to Abergavenny Tour. Earl of Mount Edgecombe ...front loco.. and Clun Castle. It had been a lovely blue-sky day and the Tour was due at Churcham at 1538. It came on time just as rolls of thunder crossed the skies and the rain started.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I went to Churcham, outside Gloucester, this afternoon to photograph the two Castles hauling the Welch Marshes Express on the return leg of a Birmingham to Abergavenny Tour. Earl of Mount Edgecombe ...front loco.. and Clun Castle. It had been a lovely blue-sky day and the Tour was due at Churcham at 1538. It came on time just as rolls of thunder crossed the skies and the rain started.

View attachment 392242

View attachment 392243
A shame about the weather but still excellent photos.
Thanks for sharing

Just noticed. I gave Robin a like..I was in agreement with his comment re the photo not his liking of the overhead gantries, which, like you, I loathe. No 'like'; now...lol
.... :LOL: Very few trainspotters/enthusiasts will agree with me about overhead gantries and many other functional features of the railway infrastructure - They tend to be rather purist and have very conventional ideas about how railways locomotives should be photographed. This even includes the weather!

But each to their own.

I need to upload some of my more 'gantryfied' images! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
.... :LOL: Very few trainspotters/enthusiasts will agree with me about overhead gantries and many other functional features of the railway infrastructure -
I'm always up for a gantry, myself. A bit of fence also, when available...

Railway fence and power lines Kitzbuhel Leica M3 56600029.JPG

.... :D Looks like quite an early design.

I think you need to work on your train panning skills though - You missed it entirely :D
Cheeky chops! :naughty:

It's on the South West side of the Kitzbuhel Loop in Austria, near where the line runs past the ski lift car park. I imagine those OBB engineers have forgotten more about overhead power than our guys will ever learn. Their approach to cable tensioning is typically simple, elegant and effective...

Railway gantry tension weight Kitzbuhel Leica M3 56970033.JPG

Nice images, John ... and not a gantry to be seen anywhere :D (y)

Nice images, John ... and not a gantry to be seen anywhere :D (y)

Thanks,Steve. The state the railways are in I don't think this line to Hereford and S/Wales will be electrified for quite a while. It's the first time I've been to this spot. I've been to the far side of the adjacent bridge which it was about to go under but not the field. Next time, I'll walk further back into the field to get a side on shot. It's a lovely open vista and trains at this time of day would normally have the sun shining on them..on a sunny day,of course. :)

Lovely shot,Robin.

Did you cough and splutter a bit re the second shot ? :D
.... :LOL: It reminded me of the good old days of the steam era. Steam smells sweet. The coal quality isn't as good as it used to be now the Welsh mine is closed.

My OM Olympus camera took it in its stride being so everything-proof. I have worked my camera on a hot footplate journey of 'Braunton's class sister 'Eddystone' and also other steam locos.

SLOWING DOWN AND CHECKING SIGNALS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Re the quaity of coal. I wondered why "Tangmere" belched out so much smoke, it's really thick, and I was told it was because cheap Polish coal was used. I'm not sure that's right otherwise more locos would be the same as they'd use cheap (less expensive) coal.
.... Most steam locomotives have been restored at extremely high cost and taking many years. Also maintenance costs necessary for formal certification are not insignificant. What happens in the firebox is partly down to the skills of the Fireman (in itself being a long apprenticeship to pass) and partly down to the quality of the coal.

I personally know Firemen and Drivers who of course were Firemen before graduating, and they all complain about the relatively poorer coal quality brought about by the closure of British mines. Would you believe that some coal is now imported from as far as South America! That is so ironic as the recent Welsh coal mine closure has been directly brought about by so-called Eco Warriors! Are they not intelligent enough to understand the carbon footprint costs of the alternatives they have forced!!

Otherwise, steam exhaust visibility is influenced by ambient weather temperature and how the Fireman stokes his firebox. In this case, the Driver knew where I would be (arranged the evening before) and put on a special show for me in the early morning :

BULLEID 'TAW VALLEY' LEAVING THE BEWDLEY TUNNEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I don't know for certain but I doubt that the Heritage Railways and Tour Operators buy coal solely based on the lowest cost per ton at source when you take into account the extra import costs. Unfortunately, suitably high quality coal is simply not available in the UK although it could easily be made so. I know that steam railway companies have stocked up with it.

.... I suggest poor amateur quality videography plus the lighting conditions. Oh, and plus media sensationalism!

Last edited:
From the NYMR (North York Moors railway)

i-xsxJJ7t-XL.jpg

i-vGtV5KJ-XL.jpg

i-dNvpBz4-XL.jpg
Beautiful!

.... Most steam locomotives have been restored at extremely high cost and taking many years. Also maintenance costs necessary for formal certification are not insignificant. What happens in the firebox is partly down to the skills of the Fireman (in itself being a long apprenticeship to pass) and partly down to the quality of the coal.

I personally know Firemen and Drivers who of course were Firemen before graduating, and they all complain about the relatively poorer coal quality brought about by the closure of British mines. Would you believe that some coal is now imported from as far as South America! That is so ironic as the recent Welsh coal mine closure has been directly brought about by so-called Eco Warriors! Are they not intelligent enough to understand the carbon footprint costs of the alternatives they have forced!!

Otherwise, steam exhaust visibility is influenced by ambient weather temperature and how the Fireman stokes his firebox. In this case, the Driver knew where I would be (arranged the evening before) and put on a special show for me in the early morning :

BULLEID 'TAW VALLEY' LEAVING THE BEWDLEY TUNNEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I don't know for certain but I doubt that the Heritage Railways and Tour Operators buy coal solely based on the lowest cost per ton at source when you take into account the extra import costs. Unfortunately, suitably high quality coal is simply not available in the UK although it could easily be made so. I know that steam railway companies have stocked up with it.

.... I suggest poor amateur quality videography plus the lighting conditions. Oh, and plus media sensationalism!

Thanks,Robin. An enlightening account. Yes..I agree..shut down an industry here re it's carbon footprint so the country has to import from, as you've mentioned..S.Africa.. 8,443 miles. :eek:

Looking at the whole of the original video, that the DM took stills from of that Tangmere fire, it looks as bad as it's been portrayed

in tnhe DM
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhRlWClesA

Great photo,btw. It just confirms the saying. "It's not what you know (the steam tour schedules) but who you know ?" :D

Last edited:
Looking at the whole of the original video, that the DM took stills from of that Tangmere fire, it looks as bad as it's been portrayed

in tnhe DM
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PhRlWClesA
.... In my opinion, if the fire had flared out onto the footplate as claimed then the crew would probably still be in hospital with severe burns. The heat inside the firebox of a Bulleid pacific is extremely intense but the video shows a flash of light rather than flame. It looks like a camera's over-exposure blow out to me and the story has also been blown out of proportion.

I understand that the guy who runs that Dawlish Beach webcam is a private individual and just trying to increase his YouTube hits.

The camera angle view is down onto the footplate directly into the firebox when the doors were open.

The fact that both the steam locomotive, its crew, and the train, continued on its journey surely demonstrates there was not a serious problem.

It Is simply light, not flame, and normal on a footplate for it to look completely lit up. Here they are checking the fire just before departure :

FIRED AND READY! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
.... In my opinion, if the fire had flared out onto the footplate as claimed then the crew would probably still be in hospital with severe burns. The heat inside the firebox of a Bulleid pacific is extremely intense but the video shows a flash of light rather than flame. It looks like a camera's over-exposure blow out to me and the story has also been blown out of proportion.

I understand that the guy who runs that Dawlish Beach webcam is a private individual and just trying to increase his YouTube hits.

The camera angle view is down onto the footplate directly into the firebox when the doors were open.

The fact that both the steam locomotive, its crew, and the train, continued on its journey surely demonstrates there was not a serious problem.

It Is simply light, not flame, and normal on a footplate for it to look completely lit up. Here they are checking the fire just before departure :

FIRED AND READY! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

That's a comprehensive account,Robin. I'll go with that. A Black Five..I see.

As above.. Black Five 44871.

Gloucester station on a winter's morning.

2.jpg

Frampton Mansell,near Stroud.
3.jpg

Frampton again on its return leg from S.Wales to Paddington
6.jpg

Bath station.
5.jpg

Highnam, just outside Gloucester, en-route to Hereford.
7.jpg

Last edited:
As above.. Black Five 44871.

Gloucester station on a winter's morning.

View attachment 393478

Frampton Mansell,near Stroud.
View attachment 393479

Frampton again on its return leg from S.Wales to Paddington
View attachment 393483

Bath station.
View attachment 393484

Highnam, just outside Gloucester, en-route to Hereford.
View attachment 393489
.... A particularly good set of pictures. I am amused by the one at Bath Spa in which the big cloud looks like the Black Five has created it!

An absence of trains - Topsham Station, Exeter.

Level crossing at Topsham 5D IMG_3351.JPG

Back