Lightroom 3 Launched

LR3 has a new engine within the develop module. You'll notice that you get a (!) appear in the image box. This indicates that the image data is being processed using the legacy LR2 engine. Clicking on it allows you to change to the latest "Process". However don't do what I did and select a whole folder of 5000+ images and ask it to update them. ( Thought it would be good idea to get them all updated at one go) It updated fine, no problem But then when I asked my backup software to backup 50 files I had just imported , it noticed that the last updated info on the 5000+ files had changed, from those on the backup, and promptly updated all 5835 images. (103 Gb took 2 ½ hrs). So watch out for this

LR3 has a new engine within the develop module. You'll notice that you get a (!) appear in the image box. This indicates that the image data is being processed using the legacy LR2 engine. Clicking on it allows you to change to the latest "Process". However don't do what I did and select a whole folder of 5000+ images and ask it to update them. ( Thought it would be good idea to get them all updated at one go) It updated fine, no problem But then when I asked my backup software to backup 50 files I had just imported , it noticed that the last updated info on the 5000+ files had changed, from those on the backup, and promptly updated all 5835 images. (103 Gb took 2 ½ hrs). So watch out for this

Ouch !

Sorry got to laugh, shouldnt, but thats the sort of thing that would happen to me :)

I'm using it for work for the first time and off to a bad start, it wouldn't recognise the images on the SD card in my camera so I'm having to copy them off the card using Image capture. (Normally I don't use the SD card, but today my CF card filled up and my spare was in the car).

I have to say I am shocked that in this day and age people still pay for software.

If people don't pay for it how do the software developers that write it get paid??? :bang:

Maybe he just uses GIMP?

Oh, and I make some of my living writing software, so it's rather useful to me for people to pay me for doing it.

If people didn't pay for software then folks would simple stop producing it so your logic kinda blows, the Commador Amiga is a prime example of piracy killing a system off.

That said I think Adobe product are expensive from a hobbist point of view. It resonable to ask someone to pay that much if it a true tool of thier trade but if you gonna use it on a weekend after you gona out and had a bit of fun with your camera then it a lot of money. They really should do a license like M$'s Home and Student at a lower price.

At least Adobe have the sense to do trial versions of their software, so you can evaluate the product before paying out. Not many software companies do that!

And elements is very reasonably priced, the chances are if you are pushing the capabilities of Elements you will be able to justify CS5 anyway...

Originally Posted by Talon
They really should do a license like M$'s Home and Student at a lower price.

Er, they do!

They actually do a Student and Teacher license which doesn't cover you for home person use unless you are a student. Well thats how the women at Adobe explained it when I asked when I upgraded our CS3 volume License last week.

Another little niggle, the compare view seems different to LR2, with LR2 you could pick/reject images within compare view on the 2nd monitor, am I missing something with LR3?

Another little niggle, the compare view seems different to LR2, with LR2 you could pick/reject images within compare view on the 2nd monitor, am I missing something with LR3?

Hmmm... you're right, the bar along the bottom of the image has gone, I hadn't noticed that before. :thinking:

You can still flag them by right clicking... bit of a faf though...

re : Lens distortion corrections.....

I'm using the profiles for the Canon 17-40 and 24-105 zooms, and the auto correction doesn't seem strong enough...is it just me or is a better profile needed?

Tried it with my 17-40 (on a crop body) and it seems spot on for me, I get very little distortion anyway, but it seems to bring all perfectly back into line.

I'm doing a lot of photography at the coast at the moment so I'm really noticing it.

On a recent example, I did the auto profile for 17-40 zoom at 22mm then had to add another 2 on the slider for a good straight horizon.

Still its better than going

Edit in...
Open Photoshop
Open PTLens....

and then doing it ...

It could be the lens I suppose, but I think I'm finding the same thing with both, at the wide end anyway.

Edit : If you're using a crop body it probably wouldn't be so noticeable anyway.......

Hmmm... you're right, the bar along the bottom of the image has gone, I hadn't noticed that before. :thinking:

You can still flag them by right clicking... bit of a faf though...

Ahh, I'll give that a go next time, I tried before and it unflagged both of them.

Lens correction on the 24-105 works well, on the 10-22 it's fantastic, taking out the chromatic aberration brilliantly

I really like it (installed last night). I like the proper flickr intergration as I was using a plugin before which worked pretty well but wasn's as tidy. I'm glad all my filters and so on are still there and it does indeed seem quicker. Tonight I'm going to do some side by side noise reduction comparisons and see how it fares. I guess I might as well uninstall LR2 now?

Cheers
ped

re : Lens distortion corrections.....

I'm using the profiles for the Canon 17-40 and 24-105 zooms, and the auto correction doesn't seem strong enough...is it just me or is a better profile needed?

You can build correction profiles of your own lenses with Adobe Lens Profile Creator [http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/] if you think the Adobe supplied ones aren't doing the job properly - or if it's a lens for which they don't supply a ready made profile.

Ah, well... Been playing with the trial for a few days now and I'm loving it.

As I sold a few photos today, I bit the bullet and splurged the proceeds on LR3 and PSCS5 upgrades :)

Nice one, must have sold some good photos to pay for that!

I was trying like crazy last night to buy it from the Adobe store but whenever I went into the product page it just came up with some scroll bars and nothing in the frames! I tried it in Safari, Firefox and Opera but it all looked the same.
:bang:
Anyway this was on my new MBP so I decided to try on the old powerbook and it worked like a treat. So after over an hour on the new machine I finally spent my dosh via the 7 year old laptop!

Can't understand why the new MBP couldn't show the store properly - anyone else had that problem?

Nope. I used Safari 5.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.3 with a 2009 15" MBP. It worked rather faster than I'm used to at the Adobe Store (which still ain't that fast).

Hmm, I have just purchased it. I LOVE IT!!!!! Amazing program! Bought this one full price, but luckily in two weeks time I'll be able to purchase CS5 at student price!

Will have some explaining to do to hubby for the LR purchase though!

I have it too - very good program. There's no lens profile for my Panasonic 20mm pancake though. In fact, no Panasonic lens profiles at all.. I might have to create one with the program linked to earlier, especially for the 45-200mm.

I will have this hopefully by the end of next week. Student edition of course, to be honest the full price would break my heart :LOL:

Why not wait the two weeks & get this at student price too Ellekes?

I really like it (installed last night). I like the proper flickr intergration as I was using a plugin before which worked pretty well but wasn's as tidy. I'm glad all my filters and so on are still there and it does indeed seem quicker. Tonight I'm going to do some side by side noise reduction comparisons and see how it fares. I guess I might as well uninstall LR2 now?

Cheers
ped

Hi PED, small world!

Talking of lens profiles does anyone know how to set it up to apply them automatically on import as it has them for most of my lenses.

Anyone know what the deal is with the student version. My little boy is starting primary school in September ( 4 Years Old ), avid photographer, I kid you not. Looking at the blurb he should qualify for the student version?

DSC_4237s.jpg

Anyone know what the deal is with the student version. My little boy is starting primary school in September ( 4 Years Old ), avid photographer, I kid you not. Looking at the blurb he should qualify for the student version?

Does his primary school do BTECs or higher?

I know that was the rule for CS from Adobe 18 months ago. ie further education establishment offering degrees or qualifications ... blah blah... equiv BTEC..... blah something..... ISH :)

Back