Lissa's Photo52 - Week 8 "Chaos" added

Am in agreement with all that has been said about the DOF. I so know what it is like to not have time though. I am always late putting my shots up, eventhough they have been taken

Here is my entry for week 5 I decided to play my joker card is that what its called? or is it a wild card?

Anyway I just couldnt really come up with anything for hard and I took this picture on Sunday which is actually one of the first landscape type pictures I have taken.

I was really pleased with how it turned out so decided to use it as my entry this week. :)

final copy sunset by purpleskyes, on Flickr

Hi Lissa

Hard is really ...well... Hard !

Beautiful shot & great colors in the sky(y)
Maybe could be a tad improved by either cropping the leaves fromt he righthand side or getting more of them in ?
Like it lots though :)

I like a nice silhouette, lovely tree shapes and a nice sky. Horizon is a bit wonky though

Great effort Lissa.... hope my first try at that type of shot turns out as well as that.

Hiya Lissa,

A stunning image for week 5. I sunset it creating a lovely silhouette of the trees and the cloudy blue sky compliments the image well.

Agree with Sarah about it looking a bit wonky, but it is only very slight and I think if you had to crop the far left in a bit to about the first tree trunk might help too as the little tree/bush on the left makes the horizon turn upwards causing it to look off alignment.

I would also crop quite a lot of the dark space at the bottom and maybe crop the leaves on the right to give he main tree more prominance.

Otherwise a lovely photo, well done :clap:

I love these kinds of images, so thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks for the comments if you take a ruler to the screen the horizon is perfectly straight, its just the actual tree itself isnt straight.

I did this verison in which the bush on the right has been cropped off but I preferred it in the photograph.

sunset 2 by purpleskyes, on Flickr

A beautiful image and I agree that I prefer the right hand leaves also; I agree that some of the dark base could be cropped and I think it would improve the composition.

I have cropped the dark area do you think that looks better?

sunset 4 by purpleskyes, on Flickr

Of the 3 posted my preference is the third. I'd prefer it even more if the leaves on the right were taken out but I realise that might be tricky and would give the tree in the centre. Still great colours captured in the sky and the silhouette is fantastic.

I like the third picture, nut I too would rather the right hand eaves were cut out.
I see you've lost the jet trail. Some don't like these in shots, but I don't mind. However, you need to do a little bit more PP as I can still see some of the trail around the tree.

Can I also suggest you withdraw your 'Jocker' and play this as your 'Hard' on the grounds of the hard work you're having to do in response to the posts and PP of the jet trail :)

Do we get a joker? I never realised! I like the third of the images too... great work!

Mark

I have to say sadly this week my photography has very much taken a back seat. I am doing a foundation degree and this is my last year so I am on the home stretch with an extreme amount of work to do.

That was my inspiration for this picture, my mind is so cluttered with uni work I have no time to focus on anything.

clutter one by purpleskyes, on Flickr

I am not thrilled with this but again no time at all this week hopefully next week I can try and fit in some proper time for a shot.

Lissa, i looked and wondered what you were trying to achieve...THEN the penny dropped..unable to focus on anything... (y)..ok bland shot..but the thought was there..you've done really well to get this far with some decent shots.. don't be too hard on yourself about time... still creative

Lissa, i looked and wondered what you were trying to achieve...THEN the penny dropped..unable to focus on anything... (y)..ok bland shot..but the thought was there..you've done really well to get this far with some decent shots.. don't be too hard on yourself about time... still creative

It might have been better if the massive pile of uni books were in focus maybe but I am currently struggling to even focus on the uni work there is so much of it. :bang:

Last edited:
The closer crop works better, it contrasts nicely with your description and shows portrays it well, personally I think it would be better with the books in focus, but I understand where your coming from. You are doing very well in managing to keep up. I wish you all the best with your university work, and I look forward to seeing more of your 52. (y)

Well at first for week 7 I was completely stumped but then an idea popped into my head earlier so I went with it.

Week 7 Delicate - Dainty and delicate like a forgotten doll.

doll one by purpleskyes, on Flickr

Hi Lissa,

My first visit to your thread, and I have to say that your photograph for delicate is superb :clap:
I like this a lot - the posing, hair & make-up and the angle all come together perfectly and if it's a self portrait I'm even more impressed because these aren't easy by anyone's standards.
If there was one thing I'd change, it would be to shave a bit off the LHS to lose the door handle and crack of light coming through the opening, but that's only a very minor niggle in what's an otherwise very well executed shot.

Your joker for week 5 jumps out for me too. You've vastly improved it by cropping some of the black from the bottom, but it's an absolutely beautiful photograph.(y) I have a real soft spot for trees silhouetted against pretty skies and this really ticks all the boxes for me.

Hi Lissa,

My first visit to your thread, and I have to say that your photograph for delicate is superb :clap:
I like this a lot - the posing, hair & make-up and the angle all come together perfectly and if it's a self portrait I'm even more impressed because these aren't easy by anyone's standards.
If there was one thing I'd change, it would be to shave a bit off the LHS to lose the door handle and crack of light coming through the opening, but that's only a very minor niggle in what's an otherwise very well executed shot.

Your joker for week 5 jumps out for me too. You've vastly improved it by cropping some of the black from the bottom, but it's an absolutely beautiful photograph.(y) I have a real soft spot for trees silhouetted against pretty skies and this really ticks all the boxes for me.

Thank you Sarah Lee yeah its a self protrait with the use of a tripod and 10 second timer taking 9 pictures each time. the door handle and the light coming through was on purpose to represent them carrying on without the doll. But I might have a go at losing it if you think it would look better.

Last edited:
Hi Lissa

How I managed to miss your OOF books shot I'll never know ! Great idea & I think it works really well (y) (I feel that way every monday morning at work !)

Delicate : such an original take on the theme & you did it so well ,especially considering it's a self portrait ,excellent shot,really like it.Well done(y)

Here it is with the door handle and light cut out, what do you think?

doll 3 by purpleskyes, on Flickr

I think it loses something?

I prefer it with the handle cut out
but to me, this image seems a bit red?
I think the WB needs adjusting a bit?

It would be nice with a bit of light peeping from under to door too!

But all in all very nice and well executed shot

I prefer it with the handle and light! A great take on the theme. Will have to try and get myself in one of the 52...

I was just thinking that this weeks theme is an excellent opportunity for some sort of self portrait. I actually like this a lot!

You can tell straight away that you're supposed to be a doll with the pose, costume and make up, good work. Only criticism would be to maybe have more toys in the scene to highlight the childish nature of it all. But reading above that you're a student I doubt you'll have many of these.

Well done again.

David Ironside: Why not check out my Project 52 attempt?

Hi Lissa,
i am another that missed your previous threads, love the cropped images of the tree and the out of focus uni books. The delicate pic is really good, i personally like the one with the door handle in. Agree with previous comment about it would have looked a tad better with a toy or two in the foreground to emphasis the doll look. None the less super effort.
Good luck with the studying.

I was just thinking that this weeks theme is an excellent opportunity for some sort of self portrait. I actually like this a lot!

You can tell straight away that you're supposed to be a doll with the pose, costume and make up, good work. Only criticism would be to maybe have more toys in the scene to highlight the childish nature of it all. But reading above that you're a student I doubt you'll have many of these.

Well done again.

David Ironside: Why not check out my Project 52 attempt?

Hi Lissa,
i am another that missed your previous threads, love the cropped images of the tree and the out of focus uni books. The delicate pic is really good, i personally like the one with the door handle in. Agree with previous comment about it would have looked a tad better with a toy or two in the foreground to emphasis the doll look. None the less super effort.
Good luck with the studying.

Thanks guys the toys is not a bad idea but I dont have any I hate children. :LOL:

Wow, your delicate actually made me jump slightly. Very nice image and good take on delicate.

The red really sets the image off.

I can't figure out if she's dead, a zombie, or a victim....

Cheers.

I'm far from, well, average...;), at Photoshop, but I had a go at cloning out the handle and cropped a tad or the right and top.

I can remove if you want....

5443050200_91a4068cc4_z.jpg

Hi Lissa,
Your shot is bang on for the theme, nice one.Great posing.
The later version that someone else did, very macabre and Tim Burtonesque and would be worth saving in case an appropriate theme came up.

Martin

What a brilliant idea...I feel so inadequate as I have only just got the word in my head!!! Never mind ideas.

You are more brave than I as I hate being photographed and wouldn't voluntarily put myself in front of the lens. You have a lovely image there and an imaginative image(y) well executed IMO.

I'm far from, well, average...;), at Photoshop, but I had a go at cloning out the handle and cropped a tad or the right and top.

I can remove if you want....

5443050200_91a4068cc4_z.jpg

Very nicely done I did have a go but couldnt get it the right colour and then content aware fill copied the panel below. :bonk:

Back