Wales llangollen

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in Llangollen for a few days next week so, does anyone know of any landscape locations nearby (within 1 hr drive ideally), or anything in articular that would make good images (I know about the viaduct and canal, and aim to try and snap those)?

Thanks in advance (I have done a search here too)

Castell Dinas Bran is a must.
Also the Panorama Walk nearby with great views to the castle.
Horseshoe Pass summit
A little further away is Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfall which is ridiculously close to the car park and requires no effort to get to at all
Enjoy

Simon Kitchin has a good guide to North Wales, not sure if he is still on this forum. Dinas Bran, hill over looking Llangollen, is worth a walk up. Horse shoe falls just outside Llangollen, Pistyll Rhaeadr is about an hour. Snowdon and Llandudno about 1 hr 20 mins from Llangollen.

Last edited:
Also the Panorama Walk nearby with great views to the castle.
Horseshoe Pass summit
A little further away is Pistyll Rhaeadr waterfall which is ridiculously close to the car park and requires no effort to get to at all
Enjoy
I forgot about the Horse Shoe pass, usually avoid as my wife is a little nervous about the drop into the valley and the lack of barriers. Perfectly good road though and recently introduced 40mph? speed limit to try and slow down the motor bikes.

It's a hell of a climb from LLangollen centre but the cheating method if you are driving is to go over the main bridge heading away from the A5 turn right then immediately left ( this takes you over the canal, which can be very preety with it;'s horse drawn canal boats) hit the little T junction and turn right follow this all the way up when you reach the top you can either turn left or right to find some parking. It's still a bit of a climb but no where near as bad as walking all the way up. Going either way on the road you have parked upon yealds some lovely views. There is also the Steam railway which is worth a look which is right next to the river. ( just in case you didn't know there was one there)

It's a hell of a climb from LLangollen centre but the cheating method if you are driving is to go over the main bridge heading away from the A5 turn right then immediately left ( this takes you over the canal, which can be very preety with it;'s horse drawn canal boats) hit the little T junction and turn right follow this all the way up when you reach the top you can either turn left or right to find some parking. It's still a bit of a climb but no where near as bad as walking all the way up. Going either way on the road you have parked upon yealds some lovely views. There is also the Steam railway which is worth a look which is right next to the river. ( just in case you didn't know there was one there)
park at ///drove.patrolled.modifies (y)

Thanks all, really useful

Horseshoe Pass Summit for sure. Not only the landscape but if you’re there over the weekend you may get some good shots of he various vehicles/bikes going through or meeting at the cafe.

Edited to add the railway station and steam trains are also a good visit.

Last edited:
I forgot about the Horse Shoe pass, usually avoid as my wife is a little nervous about the drop into the valley and the lack of barriers. Perfectly good road though and recently introduced 40mph? speed limit to try and slow down the motor bikes.

I was foaming at the mouth when I saw the signs. But there again I have been driving over the pass at night only to have to swerve past the sheep sleeping on the road by the Ponderosa cafe.

Within 1 hour to the north is the Clwyd Gate at the top of Bwlch Pen Barras (A494 Ruthin-Mold road), gives you grand views of the Beautiful Vale of Clwyd. Ruthin is very photogenic with its concentration of historic buildings. North westwards, via Ruthin and Denbigh are the Denbighshire Moors - Gwylfa Hiraethog - the old Shooting Lodge by the Sportsman's Arms affords great views.

If anyone thinks the Horseshoe Pass is dangerous. The A494 down from Clwyd Gate towards Llanbedr and Ruthin is on another level, a long straight incline, dropping steadily and then suddenly an extremely sharp left hand bend followed by a sweeping right. Speed limits are there, as are bump strips in the road, for the unaware but locals who know the road know exactly when to brake....miss it and you're in someone's bedroom..

I was foaming at the mouth when I saw the signs. But there again I have been driving over the pass at night only to have to swerve past the sheep sleeping on the road by the Ponderosa cafe.

Within 1 hour to the north is the Clwyd Gate at the top of Bwlch Pen Barras (A494 Ruthin-Mold road), gives you grand views of the Beautiful Vale of Clwyd. Ruthin is very photogenic with its concentration of historic buildings. North westwards, via Ruthin and Denbigh are the Denbighshire Moors - Gwylfa Hiraethog - the old Shooting Lodge by the Sportsman's Arms affords great views.

If anyone thinks the Horseshoe Pass is dangerous. The A494 down from Clwyd Gate towards Llanbedr and Ruthin is on another level, a long straight incline, dropping steadily and then suddenly an extremely sharp left hand bend followed by a sweeping right. Speed limits are there, as are bump strips in the road, for the unaware but locals who know the road know exactly when to brake....miss it and you're in someone's bedroom..
Up past Clwyd Gate is my usual cycling route, sadly Clwyd gate has been shut for a while now, you are right going down towards llandbedr is interesting especially
on a push bike:). Moel Famau, not far from Clwyd gate , is worth a visit
The old shooting lodge is easily missed nowadays as the weather up there has not been kind to it, and the Sportsmans pub, highest pub in Wales?, has closed again

the Sportsmans pub, highest pub in Wales?, has closed again

That does saddens me, when it was open people used to recommend it as a great place to eat. Chefs were always higher rated.

not so suprised about Clwyd Gate, I somehow think the interior decor was a bit 'dated' and hadn't changed much since I went there in 1985. That was when I was able to cycle up past the Tan-yr-Unto bends....

Reactions: nog
Back