LONDON 2012 - CAMERAS, BAGS, RESTRICTIONS, ETC - PLEASE POST HERE

I got told by a guy I know who is a volunteer that I would be able to get in the Olympic Stadium with my 1D MkIII and 70-200 L lens according to their training

Not that I'm going to any events but it just confused me after everything I've read everywhere

Would be a big gamble. Google tells me that the 70-200 is 29cm long and the 1DMk3 is 8cm deep. Now, allowing for the fact that the grip probably extends beyond the mount, you're still going to exceed the 30cm rule.
You might get away with it, but you'd have no cause to complain if they refused entry. Really not worth the risk.

I assume your friend isn't working security (they're either paid security or armed forces) so he might not be familiar with the exact rules. Or he doesn't know how big that camera/lens combo is!

You might be allowed into the Olympic Park though. I haven't checked if there's more lenient rules for the Park than the venues it contains.

He does know how big it is as he sees me with it each week. But as you say, he's a volunteer, not security so might be a different case

However, I'm not going anywhere near Olympic Stadium so I won't be able to test the rules

I'm one of the ones dreading next week's commute into the City as I come through the Blackwall Tunnel :D

Would be a big gamble. Google tells me that the 70-200 is 29cm long

Google is telling porkies. It's only 20cm long and will easily qualify as small enough.

You might be allowed into the Olympic Park though. I haven't checked if there's more lenient rules for the Park than the venues it contains.

There is only one security checkpoint - at the entrance to the park itself. There will be ticket checks to get into the venues but no other scanning. It's like UK airports - once you're through you're considered clean.

hollis_f said:
Google is telling porkies. It's only 20cm long and will easily qualify as small enough.

There is only one security checkpoint - at the entrance to the park itself. There will be ticket checks to get into the venues but no other scanning. It's like UK airports - once you're through you're considered clean.

At the end of the day it's all going to come down not to the rules, but rather how the person implementing them interprets them.

How many of us here have been challenged for having prohibited "professional" equipment at a venue when all we have is an entry level dlsr and a kit lens?

At the end of the day it's all going to come down not to the rules, but rather how the person implementing them interprets them.

How many of us here have been challenged for having prohibited "professional" equipment at a venue when all we have is an entry level dlsr and a kit lens?

Which might be a worry if 'professional' equipment were prohibited. But it ain't, so it isn't. The rule is '30 cm'. I would have said that it's difficult to misinterpret that, but several people seem to enjoy doing so.

And, once again, gate security have got much better things to worry about than a lens that is 31cm long. They're going to be much more interested in keeping nasty stuff out and getting 200,000 people through the gates in a single day!

You're both right, with hood it's 29 cm and without hood it's 20cm.

Your post does highlight your lack of knowledge about the Olympics or indeed how most major sport events work.

Inkiboo, I am well aware of what is and is not permitted at sporting events. I did pass the FA safety stewards course a few years ago and as such have worked at large events. As I stated I had no intention of trying to get in with my 70-300 or 7d, as I was sure that the camera would not be allowed. Earlier posts in this thread mentioned selling, I was relating my comments to that.

Strangely at 48 years of age, I have a very good Idea how major sporting events work. I may have issues with my written word and understanding how people read whats written :thinking:

Anyway, After watching the two games this afternoon, I did not see a single large lens or camera in the crowd. A fair few had small bridge type cameras. Loads just stuck with the old iphone. The olympus I took was ideal for my intentions, and that was catching the things going on with people in and around the ground.

it is worth re-reading the official guidance carefully - stuff like guns and knives are on the prohibited list - there is no mention of cameras here. There is then a second list - restricted - this is items that may not be allowed to be used whilst inside - it says check with a staff inside - this is where 30cm camera gear is stated.

it therefore seems you will be allowed inside with anything camera wise so no worries about having to leave stuff with security. Once inside if someone says anything just say "Oh sorry boss" etc and stop taking pics till they have gone.

at least that's what I am hoping - will report bag if the army didn't agree after the weekend !

it is worth re-reading the official guidance carefully - stuff like guns and knives are on the prohibited list - there is no mention of cameras here.

It is worth reading the actual terms and conditions of ticket purchase -

Section 19.2.3

The following is a non-exhaustive list of restricted items which may not be taken into a Venue [snip] large photographic equipment (including tripods)

The other list is where 'large' is defined as bigger than 30cm.

Last edited:
I think your terms are the orginal old (?) ones - the ones I quoted are from the paperwork supplied with the actual tickets. Lots of things have since changed eg you can now bring empty bottles etc to fill up whilst inside.

The paperwork supplied with my tickets did not include the full T&Cs, just a brief summary. It does say, on the back of the tickets, that the T&Cs are 'available on the website www.tickets.London2012.com'. And those are the ones I linked. Go to www.tickets.London2012.com, click on 'How to purchase tickets' along the top bar, then click on "Terms and conditions of ticket purchase" on the sidebar. Then scroll down to Section 19.2.3

hollis_f said:
The paperwork supplied with my tickets did not include the full T&Cs, just a brief summary. It does say, on the back of the tickets, that the T&Cs are 'available on the website www.tickets.London2012.com'. And those are the ones I linked. Go to www.tickets.London2012.com, click on 'How to purchase tickets' along the top bar, then click on "Terms and conditions of ticket purchase" on the sidebar. Then scroll down to Section 19.2.3

The key phrase (as mentioned in your previous quote) is "non-exhaustive", which roughly translates as "we can ban anything else without reason, if we feel like it"

The key phrase (as mentioned in your previous quote) is "non-exhaustive", which roughly translates as "we can ban anything else without reason, if we feel like it"

Indeed. However, Tim was suggesting that 'you will be allowed inside with anything camera wise' when the (current) T&Cs expressly forbid large gear. I'm just trying to avoid people believing Tim and finding that their 600mm lens isn't allowed.

Only the deeply paranoid will worry that they'll suddenly feel like banning their 70-200.

hollis_f said:
Indeed. However, Tim was suggesting that 'you will be allowed inside with anything camera wise' when the (current) T&Cs expressly forbid large gear. I'm just trying to avoid people believing Tim and finding that their 600mm lens isn't allowed.

Only the deeply paranoid will worry that they'll suddenly feel like banning their 70-200.

I'm sure it'll be fine, although I also keep wondering when we'll see the first "Olympic security wouldn't let me in with my dslr " type if threads or articles in AP or the BJP :LOL:

I'm sure it'll be fine, although I also keep wondering when we'll see the first "Olympic security wouldn't let me in with my dslr " type if threads or articles in AP or the BJP :LOL:

Where's the "like" button for this lol

I would suspect that they will all be no smoking venues.

Heather

I guess your right. You cant smoke anywhere within a football stadium. Inside or pitchside. Watching the amount of food getting destroyed at Newcastle yesterday as it is "Banned" was sickening. Person after person was told eat it here or bin it.

Prices inside were mad, £1.50 for a bag of crisps, £3.80 for Heineken and an unknown "Ale" at £3.80. Pop at £2.30. Oh and no sign of the promised free water, unless you are prepared to fill up in the toilets!, and if youve seen what goes on in basins at footie matches, you will not use them to drink from.

Sorry to get off subject.

azuresauron said:
I guess your right. You cant smoke anywhere within a football stadium. Inside or pitchside. Watching the amount of food getting destroyed at Newcastle yesterday as it is "Banned" was sickening. Person after person was told eat it here or bin it.

Prices inside were mad, £1.50 for a bag of crisps, £3.80 for Heineken and an unknown "Ale" at £3.80. Pop at £2.30. Oh and no sign of the promised free water, unless you are prepared to fill up in the toilets!, and if youve seen what goes on in basins at footie matches, you will not use them to drink from.

The ale is John Smith's but because Heineken (who own JS) haven't paid for the rights to advertise it they have to sell it unbranded....

Just thought I would add my bit here. I'm in an event at the moment (rowing) and I got through no problems at all with my Nikon d5000, kit lens, 55-200 and 35mm in a crumpler pretty boy 5500. Not exactly pro quality equipment but I hope this helps.

I understood from the guidlines that you could take food in so long as it is not an excessive amount.

See below in restricted items

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Docume...Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

Heather

Heather, they were making people throw out Greggs pasties, sarnies, rice salads, wraps.. just about everything. There were Koreans in front of me, made to destroy their entire days food, consisting of salads, rice etc. And a fella from gateshead who had bought stuff from Greggs likewise.

I had the impression that a big lens would have got through okay, but try and smuggle in a bite to eat!

Heather, they were making people throw out Greggs pasties, sarnies, rice salads, wraps.. just about everything. There were Koreans in front of me, made to destroy their entire days food, consisting of salads, rice etc. And a fella from gateshead who had bought stuff from Greggs likewise.

I had the impression that a big lens would have got through okay, but try and smuggle in a bite to eat!

If I was going there I would be printing off the PDF from my link and taking it with me.

.......but then I am a stroppy mare if I am right and can prove it!

.......can you normally take your own food into a football stadium? If so then I think there may be a need for retraining staff on the gate!

Heather

I am hoping, that at a minimum, you can take any item in which is not on the prohibited list, but might not be allowed to use an item inside during a sport if it is on the restricted list.
Photographic equipment is not on the prohibited list. However there are prohibitions on the size of the bag, and not hard sided.
Large (greater than 30cm) photo eqipment is on the restricted list.
Prohibited list: http://www.tickets.london2012.com/purchaseterms.html
Restricted list: http://www.london2012.com/mm/Docume...Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

That I think would be fair (camera doesn't get confiscated, but can't be used to block view of neighbours).

Where the theory falls down.
First item on the prohibited list is food (save baby food)
On the restricted list, it states as restricted: "––Excessive amounts of food"

On the restricted list, it states as restricted: "––Excessive amounts of food"

And, in the instructions I got today as a Gamesmaker, 'Excessive' is defined as 'more than will fit in a 25 litre bag'. That sounds excessive to me.

Just thought I would add my bit here. I'm in an event at the moment (rowing) and I got through no problems at all with my Nikon d5000, kit lens, 55-200 and 35mm in a crumpler pretty boy 5500. Not exactly pro quality equipment but I hope this helps.

I was at the Royal Artillary Barracks today. Saw one woman with a 100-400 on a monopod. She said there was no problem with security. I also saw several 70-200 f2.8 - it seemed to be most popular after the Canon kit lenses.

The pros had quite a few 400 f2.8 big white things. I was left drooling behind them.

It's late I've been at The Olympic Park for the last two days, too tired to read all post but I took.

Rucksac, Sandwiches, Drinks bottle (emptied of water prior to Security, then refilled at water points) Energy Bars, Panny Lumix TZ
Canon 60D with 17-55mm (I also saw plenty of 70-200mm's)
Few other bits and bobs. (No guns or Tazers :cool: )

NO SECURITY PROBLEMS AT ALL.

However, if going in to an event with a stand, then if you bring anything bigger that a smallish day sack then it's NOT going to fit under your seat. They're pretty cramped!

Hope it helps some folk.

Oh and PS. No queues anywhere, except for the beer tents etc Opening Ceremony night.

620574_10150985371372613_612524198_o.jpg

Last edited:
.......can you normally take your own food into a football stadium? If so then I think there may be a need for retraining staff on the gate!

Heather

Hi Heather, you can take food, but not alcohol into a football stadium. The stuff they were making people throw out was in bags or packaging not associated with the games sponsor.. Therefore Greggs, M&S etc, would nuot be allowed through. No doubt a sarnie in clingfilm from home would be fine.

Im back there today, may try my Canon 7d and 28-135 lens. Im still interested in cathing people and atmosphere not the action. Just measuered the tamron 70-300 and its under 30cm extended, as long as I leave the hood off. Thats from eyepiece to tip of lens.

John

Last edited:
Will be off to the Paralympics as a friend of mine is in the F55 shot put on Sat 1st Sept, so will leave my Nikon D90 at home and take my Nikon P510 with the 24-1000mm super zoom and if I use the digital zoom it will go to 2000mm. Should be long enough :LOL:

Rucksac, Sandwiches, Drinks bottle (emptied of water prior to Security, then refilled at water points) Energy Bars, Panny Lumix TZ
Canon 60D with 17-55mm (I also saw plenty of 70-200mm's)
Few other bits and bobs. (No guns or Tazers :cool: )

NO SECURITY PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Same here. I was at the opening ceremony with my D7000, 18-200 & 70-300 (both f3.5-5.6) and no problems at all.

However, if going in to an event with a stand, then if you bring anything bigger that a smallish day sack then it's NOT going to fit under your seat. They're pretty cramped!

Agree with that. I had my stuff in a non-photographic messenger-type bag which is approx 400x250x180mm. Anything longer than that will stick out from the sides of your seat.

The stuff they were making people throw out was in bags or packaging not associated with the games sponsor.. Therefore Greggs, M&S etc, would nuot be allowed through. No doubt a sarnie in clingfilm from home would be fine.

Certainly none of that happening at the Olympic park on Friday. M&S sarnies got in fine. Only check was that drinks bottles were empty.

kelack said:
I got told by a guy I know who is a volunteer that I would be able to get in the Olympic Stadium with my 1D MkIII and 70-200 L lens according to their training

Not that I'm going to any events but it just confused me after everything I've read everywhere

Yes it is fine to take in a 70-200mm just take it off the camera and put a short lens on then pack it along with the 70-200 mm into a bag which is 30x20x20cm this then complies with all the security restrictions

a bag which is 30x20x20cm this then complies with all the security restrictions

Those restrictions have been superseded. Bags must be soft-sided and 25 litres or smaller. The 20x20x30 restrictions were half that size.

Again, a couple of 100-400 Canons were at the Royal Artillery Barracks.

ok this is what I found today - took loads of camera gear, biggest lens was a nikon 80-200/2.8 - this is quite a monster.

camera was out, rest of stuff in kata rucksack - over 25 litres.

No problems with anything - army is doing the checking. They are all very friendly and even commented on having nice camera gear. Nothing photographic is being checked whatsoever as regards sizes.

Bags go through metal detectors but not sure what these are looking for, you walk through scanners - my belt set the alarms off but they then just scan you with the hand metal detector but all of them very helpful.

My advice take whatever you want - you won't get another chance to take such photos.

Bags go through metal detectors but not sure what these are looking for, you walk through scanners - my belt set the alarms off but they then just scan you with the hand metal detector but all of them very helpful.

Really good to hear you had zero problems. Which site were you at?

The bags go through an X-ray scanner, the same as they use at airports. The 'door-frame' you walk through is the metal detector.

Last edited:
Guy next to me yesterday was using a Nikon with a 70-300 lens, no hood attached. He had no problems at all.

Has anyone been to the rowing ? Stands are obviously quite a way away so am wondering if I will get anything decent. Have a D7000 with a 70-200 and a 2.0 TCE III....hoping that will do the trick ?

Back