Looking for a pocket camera

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I've not been using my DSLR for a while, no more motivation for processing files and with a 3 years old boy jumping and running everywhere I struggle to carry my dslr with me.

I'd love to find a little pocket camera which does good jpeg and has good autofocus. For a budget will be 300-400£ the cheaper the better because i'll need to sell some of my lenses to fund it (and i don't have so many left).

I used to have a Lumix lx100 and that was not really pocket size but i liked it a lot, sadly it died from dust coming in the lens, i'd love a lx200 but it is way too expensive. I guess most lx100 second hand will start to be fairly old and likely collect dust sooner or later.
I had a LX10/15 for a bit and i can't tell why but we didn't get on well and I sold it.

PS1: On a small camera i do not mind so much not having a viewfinder, i think i used it less that i thought when i had the lx100
PS2: I do not have a smartphone and I do not want one, i'm happy with my 7£/month contract and cheap nokia handset.

Any ideas?
Thanks

You could have a look at the 1" sensor cameras. I like having an EVF so I went for the Panasonic TZ100. The zoom lens is a bit soft at some length but it is IMO fine for whole picture viewing and it's useable at it's highest ISO 12,800 too. I'm not sure who else does 1" compacts but I'm pretty sure Sony does.

Another vote for the TZ100. Based mainly on its pocketability. As barking Alan says above, it's a bit soft at the longer end but is acceptable most of the way through.

I loved my Canon G7X, managed to lose it a few months age, so sad.

One inch sensor, lovely jpegs, best in-camera HDR I've ever known, tilt-up screen (IMO essential when no viewfinder).

I would look into the Sony RX 100 series. Decent sensor, face detection etc. The only negative aspect is that they seem a bit fragile.

I see the LX100 is very similar to the LX15 i had.
All these sony are very close to these too in term of size.

I wonder if i'd like a fixed focal lens somewhere about 28 and 35mm.

I like the idea of the fuji xf10. But review point to a bad autofocus and that would really annoy me. Any idea on this one?

Can't say I use it much to never having time to just be out "with a pocket camera" but I have a Leica C Lux (The TZ200 equivalent) and I've been very happy with it not he few occasions I've had cause to use it. Certainly, the long end of the zoom is not quite as crisps as you'd like but its more than sufficient considering the flexibility on offer. I would summarise that the slightly older TZ100 would be better given the slightly less zoom. Plus its considerably cheaper, coming in under budget on average on Ebay after a quick check.

PS. Plus the small bounce flash that is built in is awesome for import indoor flash shots - grabbed a few pictures of home cooked pizza bouncing it to great results. Plus the odd protract as well!

I like the idea of the fuji xf10. But review point to a bad autofocus and that would really annoy me. Any idea on this one?

I bought one a couple of months ago. Truly pocketable and AF is nowhere near as bad as some reviews I've seen. OK, so it's not lightning fast but it works just fine in everyday circumstances. Snap focus mode works great too.

Thanks guys.
It a difficult choice Ricoh grii and fuji xf10 seems great.
I want to but not sure I can handle the fixed focal all the time.
Sometime a bit of zoom is good for headshot and longer focal help with blurred background too.

Buy a smart phone and don't bother with a sim card-it will work fine,you have wifi ,can surf the net, send photos with whats app etc etc
You just can't make phone calls

Gosh review do make you doubt a lot! On the paper the XF10 is great but the review do say it is absolutly horrible and unable to focus in low light...
Makes me wonder.

Buy a smart phone and don't bother with a sim card-it will work fine,you have wifi ,can surf the net, send photos with whats app etc etc
You just can't make phone calls
iPhones at least needs a SIM card in for setup otherwise they keep complaining but it doesn’t need to be a connected one. Get a used smartphone with a decent camera module for your use case.

I use an rx100 mk1 whenever I don’t want to take my dslr
It’s excellent didn’t cost too much and fits in a pocket
I used to use a phone camera for snapshots but was always disappointed with the quality when viewed large the Sony has excellent image quality

I really like my XF10 and have never had any issues focussing in low light....but then depends on what you mean is lowlight? Took it to a club and took pictures of a dancer and singer which really surprised me with the IQ. I use mine for street and family snaps....the images are very sharp and great colour rendition....the snap focus works a treat.

I use a Sony RX100 mk2 when I don't want to take DSLR. I have never used the flash as it takes such good pictures indoors without it. I use it on auto most of the time as I need reading glasses to see the details.

I've had several of Panasonic's travel zoom models and they've always done me well. Currently using a TZ70 and a Sony HX90.

Sony RX100 Mk 3 £389 at Amazon today plus £50 cashback.

Thanks for the heads up. Spent the cashback on spare batteries and a case.

GAS assuaged for a short while!!!

Are you happy with it?
I got an XT20 not long ago as an upgrade from my XE2 .. but I don’t really use it. Too big so I just end up leaving it behind.
Wondering about Canon G7X, Panasonic LX10, Sony RX100III

cheers

Are you happy with it?
I got an XT20 not long ago as an upgrade from my XE2 .. but I don’t really use it. Too big so I just end up leaving it behind.

cheers

Grab the RX100 M3 in the classifieds! My M5 goes most places as small and handy.

Are you happy with it?

cheers

Very, thank you! Took it as my only camera on holiday in September last year and it did everything I expected it to. (Not 100% true - I also took my D750 but that was for a specific purpose [Milky Way shots] and it stayed in its bag other than for the night I used it.)
Tried using an X-H1 with the pancake lens fitted as a jacket pocketable walkaround outfit for a bike show - wish I'd taken the RX100 instead.

Back