M62 Rakewood Viaduct Light Trails

Edit My Images
Yes
Not sure what to think of these :thinking:

I've had this location in mind for some time. Last night looked promising for a good sunset, so off I trekked, it never happened, it just got winder :banghead:, ........but its not called Windy Hill fa nowt :D

I can be a bit all over with PP'ing on certain images sometimes and these were no exception :rolleyes:

As with all my photos I'm looking for some honest crit, tell me exactly what you think, I'll take it on board :)

Thanks for looking, Phil

M62 Rakewood Viaduct at Dusk by Phil D, on Flickr

M62 Rakewood Viaduct in the Twilight by Phil D, on Flickr

M62 Rakewood Viaduct in Darkness by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:

Third shot is spectacular!

To be honest Phil, I think the processing has worked against you here, but that could just be my tastes differ.
Reducing the highlights that much has made them a little flat.
Composition wise, the second and third are much stronger, you appear to have some sort of ghosting in the bottom left of the first one?
The third is the strongest for me, a tad more contrast I suspect could improve it further.
Just my opinion, I might have missed what you were aiming for:)

Third shot is spectacular!

Thanks Kodiak

To be honest Phil, I think the processing has worked against you here, but that could just be my tastes differ.
Reducing the highlights that much has made them a little flat.
Composition wise, the second and third are much stronger, you appear to have some sort of ghosting in the bottom left of the first one?
The third is the strongest for me, a tad more contrast I suspect could improve it further.
Just my opinion, I might have missed what you were aiming for:)

Thanks for the feedback Steve (y)

You are correct, I have reduced the highlights quite a lot. I've been to this spot a few times before, but never at dusk. I was surprised when I got there how dark the area was. I ended up blowing the oncoming lights trying to pull detail from the surrounding hills. Maybe another visit when there's not just as much traffic?

The ghosting in the bottom of the 1st is some grass that I didn't realise was in shot till I got back home :banghead: I was going to clone it out but couldn't be a***d :D

What was I aiming for, a beautiful red sky.........but it wasn't to be :facepalm: :D, thanks again for the honest feedback (y)

You have me so jealous Phil. What a great set.

Aside from the ghosting mentioned in #1 i think the colours are superb. Natural light and the artificial light trails throughout the length of the road make a really pleasing image.
The remaining sunset light grabs the attention in #2 (or is it the street lights creating the shadow of the bridge). Another good capture.
And finally #3 - love it. :clap::clap:

Last edited:
No1 is unusual for the mix of natural light with light trails but no3 is definitely the pick of the set for me.

You have me so jealous Phil. What a great set.

Aside from the ghosting mentioned in #1 i think the colours are superb. Natural light and the artificial light trails throughout the length of the road make a really pleasing image.
The remaining sunset light grabs the attention in #2 (or is it the street lights creating the shadow of the bridge). Another good capture.
And finally #3 - love it. :clap::clap:

Thanks Alan, much appreciated, yes, it is the street lighting that's creating the shadow :)

Third shot is brilliant

Thanks Andrew

No1 is unusual for the mix of natural light with light trails but no3 is definitely the pick of the set for me.

Thanks for the comment

I've been a little torn with these, possibly a little disappointing because I was hoping for a good sunset. The 1st is more what I had in mind, light trails, but still plenty of detail in the surrounding hills, for that reasons, I think out of the 3, the 1st just has the edge for me, cheers

Last edited:
For me its just dark enough for the shots to quite work but the 3rd is fantastic !

The 3rd is nice. To get the best out of light trail shots. Raise the highlights slightly lower the shadows and a cool white balance

For me its just dark enough for the shots to quite work but the 3rd is fantastic !

Thanks Justin

The 3rd is nice. To get the best out of light trail shots. Raise the highlights slightly lower the shadows and a cool white balance

Cheers Andrew

Well I'm amazed, it looks like the 2nd has been Explored .......I'm unsure whether to be happy :banana: or confused :confused: :D

3rd pic is brilliant. Hollingworth lake in the background? Any chance of any tips how you got up there?

3rd pic is brilliant. Hollingworth lake in the background? Any chance of any tips how you got up there?

Thanks Phil, yes, Hollingworth Lake. Are you local? Lancs side? I always go from Ogden Ressi between Denshaw and Newhay but that's because its the easiest place for me to drive to but the walk is about 20/30 minutes.
There's a few other ways to get there but I would definitely go in daylight. I know the area very well but was surprised how different things looked in the dark.
From Hollingworth lake/Littleborough side it would be easier/shorter walk to go from Tunshill Golf Club. Let me know and I'll send you a PM with more details (y)

I live in whitefield, so only 15 mins or so away. I googlemapped it today and was thinking Tunshill way might be the better option for me, but wasnt sure. Great pics though

Back