Macbook Pro 2014 2.2ghz

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
I've been really looking into an MBP and having read more up on the new version I really don't like the idea of having to have a load of adaptors to convert USB to this new C variant.

I keep looking at the July 2014 model that is in the refurb section for £1300. So, question is: how fast in use is this model for LR & PS use? It is after all, £1000 cheaper than the new 2.5ghz model I have been considering. There hasn't been a 15" MPB's on the refurb section for over a month and I can't find a new 2015 model anywhere.

Itll be fine, I'm in same boat I bought a fancy 5k Imac which coming from Windows for 25 years was an experience, but its served me well. I do lust after the new ones though that touch bar may become useful and if it was my money id be getting the new ones.

I did have the 2014 model for a while to test to my client and it was ok, but after a while the processor stepped down due to heat, I'm hoping the new ones wont get effected that much due to size of new chips etc.
Cant you get the mid range new one ? for same price, or are you looking at the dedicated GPU ones ?

Itll be fine, I'm in same boat I bought a fancy 5k Imac which coming from Windows for 25 years was an experience, but its served me well. I do lust after the new ones though that touch bar may become useful and if it was my money id be getting the new ones.

I did have the 2014 model for a while to test to my client and it was ok, but after a while the processor stepped down due to heat, I'm hoping the new ones wont get effected that much due to size of new chips etc.
Cant you get the mid range new one ? for same price, or are you looking at the dedicated GPU ones ?

The mid range new one is the one I was looking at which are £2350. Then I'll need to buy a few USB-C converters.

Have you looked at CEX? They have the 2015 version with dedicated GFX here. It comes with a two year warranty with them. Worth a look at other models listed also.

I'm also on the hunt for the 2015 model and that's the closest I got to finding something in supposedly decent condition as it's listed as Grade A.

I've been really looking into an MBP and having read more up on the new version I really don't like the idea of having to have a load of adaptors to convert USB to this new C variant.
You realise you don't need adaptors for most devices don't you ... just the right cable.

Anything with a detachable cable you just get a £5 USB-B or Micro-USB-B to USB-C cables (no need to pay Apple prices but get reputable ones) and Robert is your mother's brother.

Long term everything is going with USB-C ... I'd rather have the MacBook Pro which has fully embraced USB-C than the half measure some laptops have with 2 USB-C and 2 USB-A. The slight fly in the ointment is that the desktop Macs are still stuck in the past ... but hopefully will be refreshed over the next 12 months.

(Anyway just my 2p)

Last edited:

I keep looking at the July 2014 model that is in the refurb section for £1300. So, question is: how fast in use is this model for LR & PS use? It is after all, £1000 cheaper than the new 2.5ghz model I have been considering. There hasn't been a 15" MPB's on the refurb section for over a month and I can't find a new 2015 model anywhere.

I have one at it works fast and well with D810 Nefs in LR and CC so pleased i got mine when I did :)

I did the same thing recently. having moved from windows I'm still trying to get to grips with it. Argos have the standard single usb for £9, so cheap I bought a few.

Congratulations on the shiny new toy! Which configuration did you end up going for? I may have to visit my local Stormfront to have a play and try convince myself also :)

Went for the 2.6ghz model with 256 ssd, Radeon 450 - the middle option.

Have been trying to suss out the best way of connecting my Dell (U2713HM) monitor. Currently my mac mini is using a Display Port to mini DisplayPort but of course there's the headache of USB-C. There doesn't appear to be a DisplayPort to USB-C cable so scratching my head with the options. The monitor also has DVI-D and HDMI ports..

So far have a lacie rugged 1TB external in the basket along with a USB-C card reader. Still need a case and a few adaptors, this is going to cost me...

Have been trying to suss out the best way of connecting my Dell (U2713HM) monitor. Currently my mac mini is using a Display Port to mini DisplayPort but of course there's the headache of USB-C. There doesn't appear to be a DisplayPort to USB-C cable so scratching my head with the options. The monitor also has DVI-D and HDMI ports..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-DisplayPort-Chromebook-Thunderbolt-3840x2160/dp/B01EXKDRAC

Amazon generally is likely better for cables than Apple...

Will add, loving it! Still a lot of dough but it really does seem to perform are my early impressions. I don't think the touch bar is that gimmicky either, enjoyed using it with safari last night scrolling through tabs that were open etc.

I bought a 5k iMac late 2015 model of the highest spec available, my opinion is I hate it and was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. Give me Windows any day and goodbye iMac.

I bought a 5k iMac late 2015 model of the highest spec available, my opinion is I hate it and was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. Give me Windows any day and goodbye iMac.

Take is you don't like OSX then? I'm definitely the other way, takes a little time of course if it's totally new to you but so much more intuitive IMO. Windows 10 performs better than other versions but I'm not overly keen.

Take is you don't like OSX then? I'm definitely the other way, takes a little time of course if it's totally new to you but so much more intuitive IMO. Windows 10 performs better than other versions but I'm not overly keen.

That's correct, I don't like the operating system personally and plan to put it up for sale once I've reset it.

Quick update: loving my MPB, really has changed the way I work without being unsociable with the family. Just have the occasional issue having to use windows to hardware calibrate my Dell U2713H, so I might partition a drive and install windows for this purpose at some point.

Anyone finding a little scarcity of some USB-C cable replacements (as well as inflated costs)? Been looking to upgrade both the cable and wireless plug for my Wacom Intuos Pro, can't find an angled mini Usb version. Probably need to contact Wacom really and investigate.

The 15s have started to hit the Refurbished store and am tempted to just get it over the 2015. It'll last me a long time but part of me wants to wait for the refresh but then it'll cost more. They've a tasty one with the 460 graphics and 512 SSD.

Glad to hear your thoughts on the purchase. The family aspect is why I get a laptop as don't want to be stuck away from them.

The 15s have started to hit the Refurbished store and am tempted to just get it over the 2015. It'll last me a long time but part of me wants to wait for the refresh but then it'll cost more. They've a tasty one with the 460 graphics and 512 SSD.

Glad to hear your thoughts on the purchase. The family aspect is why I get a laptop as don't want to be stuck away from them.

Hopefully mine will be a 5 year investment, but very quick compared to my late 2012 Mac mini with similar spec. The SSD has made a big difference too.

I've just got the 455 version from a guy on eBay 1900 sealed he also seems to keep selling them, so probably a supplier, nice laptop very slick and battery life is amazing, FYI I also have the 4k ASUS zen book pro 501 but its now gathering dust as the Macs taken centre stage. the touch bar is pretty funky especially in photoshop etc offers a few funky shortcuts. Keyboard is weird as there short throw keys but I'm liking it thus far.

USB C is a pain but its apple forward thinking things will change in time but at the moment I've got a few cheap dongles from amazon for SD cards and other bits I need to add, only cost a tenner

ooo and the speakers amazing sound much better than the 13s real bass to them, a bit like comparing an iPad Pro to an AIR 2 worlds apart on the sound stage.

Last edited:
I've just got the 455 version from a guy on eBay 1900 sealed he also seems to keep selling them, so probably a supplier, nice laptop very slick and battery life is amazing, FYI I also have the 4k ASUS zen book pro 501 but its now gathering dust as the Macs taken centre stage. the touch bar is pretty funky especially in photoshop etc offers a few funky shortcuts. Keyboard is weird as there short throw keys but I'm liking it thus far.

USB C is a pain but its apple forward thinking things will change in time but at the moment I've got a few cheap dongles from amazon for SD cards and other bits I need to add, only cost a tenner

ooo and the speakers amazing sound much better than the 13s real bass to them, a bit like comparing an iPad Pro to an AIR 2 worlds apart on the sound stage.

I've been a bit reluctant to use eBay as worried might get a US keyboard or non UK model. Is yours a UK stock and seller? If you don't mind posting the seller I'll take a look. Cheers.

sure

mactheknife70 is his username ping him an email, all UK all perfect as you'd expect, serial worked on Apples site and was issued in April etc...

I thought the speakers are a bit pants tbh, but didn't expect too much from such a slim machine.

Did you not have a SSD in your MM then Kris?

I never got around to updating it to an SSD. Only had the OS on it in the end and it was no slouch, BUT the SSD in the MBP is much better again.

sure

mactheknife70 is his username ping him an email, all UK all perfect as you'd expect, serial worked on Apples site and was issued in April etc...

Did you purchase via eBay? So the serial was for the latest April stock? It's a big saving over RRP so hoping it all works and isn't too good to be true!

I saw these deals and just thought they looked too good to be true in the end. Managed to utilise my daughter's student discount so got 10% or thereabouts.

Did you purchase via eBay? So the serial was for the latest April stock? It's a big saving over RRP so hoping it all works and isn't too good to be true!
yeah it seems to be from Aprils stock, when I entered in the serial it said April warranty

I saw these deals and just thought they looked too good to be true in the end. Managed to utilise my daughter's student discount so got 10% or thereabouts.

Likewise. I'm a bit dubious handing over that amount of money via eBay as seen lots pop up for a well bellow RRP price. How do they even make a profit?

FYI I used Paypal and Visa payment for that extra security, but it comes within 2 days so I'm Happy.

Did any of you email him ? has he got any left

Thanks for letting me know the precautions taken to purchase. The chap has no current listings so will wait to see if he refreshes with new stock as his listings are also private so can't see what's been sold in the past.

Red I've emailed him for you to ask the questions, he's pretty quick at replies...

Cheers. To not detract from the initial thread. Thanks for user feedback on the laptop itself. My last one was an 09 MBP 15" which lasted me ages so any purchase is a long term outlay.

I'll keep my options open but definitely want the new version :)

Last edited:
Just picked up the same model when on holiday in china as my 2011 was playing up(but has now come back to life). Its a vast improvement I've found from the little I've used it. Not done any editing yet to truly compare them. Only issue is the smaller 256gb hd compared to my old 750gb. I was shocked at the price difference compared to the uk,when i returned though. It was only 1800 there compred to the 2350ish here. Also covered by the standard apple 1year and can add apple care. Just not covered by uk consumers laws.

forgive my ignorance but is calibrating under windows and then switching to mac completely useless? im thinking the output from the mac will be completely different no?

Everything I've read Neil says so, but I kind of agree with your logic. See my other thread asking the same. I would assume that if you're hardware calibrating the LUT then it's done the monitor so the profile is irrelevant. It seems that way too, as using the profile on my Mac the interpretation is just not correct and the standard profile is consistent with the software profiled MacBook?

It's a shame that Dell didn't update the calibration software for my model for Mac, the latest derivations have both options.

Back