Daily Mandy's 365 Challenge started 17/11/13 Day 262 Added

Inspired me to give that technique another Go Mandy- I like the BG on the latest submission although if I'm brutally honest the bubbles seem a tad soft - may I ask for EXIF and the lens you used?

lovey colours though

Les ;)

Ah I thought you could have been the Biker Chick I spoke to in Cafe Nero. Never mind by the way I like your work very interesting!

Well here i am on day 70 as i had so much fun with the oil and water shots with the 600D, i thought it only fair to have a go with my 400D ( plus my 600D is out of action at the moment has to go to the camera doctors ). PP wise i have tried to process in a way that it gives a dreammy like quality to the image.

Day 70 Bubbles maid with oil

Oil 2
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

LOL - gotta love that forum Censor :D - I was of course speaking "relative" to your previous oil shot efforts :)

It looks like your having a lot of fun with your oil and water experimentation, in the past when I've done oil on water stuff I've used food colouring to make some funky effects with the oil, also really like the idea of shooting bubbles not something I've ever tried, the oils on water does look like its a bit soft though how have you focused for this I know when I've done it in the past it been a case of using a tripod and manual focus as I always had issues locking on focus :(

The bubble looks like its suffered a little bit from movement from too short of an exposure

It looks like your having a lot of fun with your oil and water experimentation, in the past when I've done oil on water stuff I've used food colouring to make some funky effects with the oil, also really like the idea of shooting bubbles not something I've ever tried, the oils on water does look like its a bit soft though how have you focused for this I know when I've done it in the past it been a case of using a tripod and manual focus as I always had issues locking on focus :(

The bubble looks like its suffered a little bit from movement from too short of an exposure

They were all shot in manual focus mode, and a lot off messing about in a short space.

After some tips from Brash i had another final run at oil on water to see if i can perfect the technique, in order for me to maintain some sharpness with in the oil bubbles. Set up was my 400D, Pyrex dish raised above my CD cover by about 6 inches, I used off camera flash to light up the CD case. There was about 2-3 inches of water in the dish and some good old flora oil and stirred up to create the bubbles.

Day 73 Funky oil on water

oil 13
by pinkbikerbabe 1, on Flickr

Good use of the flash gels they add something to both shots. Good focus and I like the composition of them both too. What was your set up?

My set up was my kitchen sink filled with water ( after a good clean first ) then the cold tap set to drip. I manually focused on a spot where the drips would fall. Camera set to 1/8 f5.6 ISO 100 at about 55m, continuous shoot mode with one eye looking through the viewfinder and the other at the top off the tap watching the drip waiting to fall.

My set up was my kitchen sink filled with water ( after a good clean first ) then the cold tap set to drip. I manually focused on a spot where the drips would fall. Camera set to 1/8 f5.6 ISO 100 at about 55m, continuous shoot mode with one eye looking through the viewfinder and the other at the top off the tap watching the drip waiting to fall.

That's how I did it! It's very effective isn't it. I've seen all kinds of setup which look very complicated. Keeping it simply works well though! :)

I found when doing this type of stuff as part of my 365's the biggest issue was focus and it seems your also suffering from that, the way I got around this was to set up a bottle with a constant drip so the I knew where the trip would fall I could then set he focus and leave that on manual so that I don't have to worry about it :D

That said once you've managed to nail focus/set up your winning as you've got the exposure nailed and the use of gels is really adding some real nice colour to the image..to the liquid I seem to remember that adding some glucose or something like that seemed to be recommended to thinking the water a little you can also use milk too which adds a nice effect, I used to make use of food colouring too :D

Matt

I found when doing this type of stuff as part of my 365's the biggest issue was focus and it seems your also suffering from that, the way I got around this was to set up a bottle with a constant drip so the I knew where the trip would fall I could then set he focus and leave that on manual so that I don't have to worry about it :D

That said once you've managed to nail focus/set up your winning as you've got the exposure nailed and the use of gels is really adding some real nice colour to the image..to the liquid I seem to remember that adding some glucose or something like that seemed to be recommended to thinking the water a little you can also use milk too which adds a nice effect, I used to make use of food colouring too :D

Matt

Yes i got to say i am finding focusing a tad tricky, but practice makes perfect as they say i am sure i will get there.

you really only need the complicated setups to get consistent collision shots - single droplets don't really require it if you're patient....

Back