Marks 52 the next 6 months..... Week 52 Texture and I'm done!

Very Doomy and Gloomy, Mark!

But what a great shot - it's so crisp and clear it almost jumps out of the screen. :clap::clap::clap:

How did you light it?

The commissioned work sounds good news (after all the Doom and Gloom) - the sort of thing you'd want to be busy with, imo. :D

Do we get to see any of the pictures eventually?

Jean

Thank you all for your comments.

Jean, it was light from above by one studio light with a softbox.

As for the portraits, possibly I'll check with mum & dad first though.

Think I've managed to squeeze a Communication in under the wire, still think it's one for the reshoot pile though, same idea just better execution next time. :rules:

Despite the size difference in his favour Shumba loves and respects Bethan. She has always had a knack of dealing with animals and although she can sometimes be a bit to keen she definatelty can talk to the animals.

Thanks for looking

Mark(y)

That's excellent! Wow, the respect the dog has is really captured in that photo. :clap:

My only advice is I'd make it a more contrasty B&W. Apart from that, really like it (y)

:clap: Fantastic idea. I love the interaction between Bethan and Shumba. It's definitely spot on for the theme.
The composition and viewpoint are both working well too.

If I had one little niggle it would be that the PP doesn't seem to be quite there for me.
Maybe as KG suggested a touch more contrast is needed?

Doom and Gloom - John has got it bang on when he said it's "crisp" - exactly the word that sprang to my mind too. I like that it's quite bright too - gives it a stark look.

Communication - Love your interpretation and I think the eye contact between them really makes this shot. They really are communicating and it's as ou say - with the size difference he really doesn't have to listen to Bethan. The only issue I can take with it is the BG and I'd love to see what you do with it if a reshoot is on the cards (y)

Wow - you've really caught the communication between Bethan and Shumba. The respect Shumba has for her is so clear - a 7 stone puppy sitting quietly on command, never taking his eyes off her. Brilliant! :clap::clap::clap:

Photographicaly, I think the crop is just a tiny bit tight, but with such a powerful message, it's a very tiny niggle. :)

Jean

Doom and Gloom, spot on, well processed and crisp indeed.

Communication, spot on theme again Mark. Love the intentness between Bethan and Shumba, and she has the knack with it doesn't she. I think I'd be tempted to crop the top a bit to lose the top of the cupboards and fridge, bring the focus more into the pair of them.

Very well thought out shot Mark...:clap::clap::clap:

Spot on theme, and a great idea...brilliant...Love it...:love:

You are all too kind, thank you.

My brother reckons it's got a bit of the Egyptian hieroglyphics about it, I see what he means to.

Thanks again.

Mark

Ok so not exactly ground breaking interpretation of the theme, but I quite enjoy these self portraits.

Thanks to Ewan for pressing the shutter for me.

Thanks for looking

Mark (y)

There's something strikingly great about that photo! I get very defensive looking at it, feel like you're going to knock my block off :LOL:

Really good shot. I like the harsh framing too, how you've lost your chin and top of your head. Really suits the shot (y)

Ewan has done well .
imho.

not to bad a shot matey.

md

There's something strikingly great about that photo! I get very defensive looking at it, feel like you're going to knock my block off :LOL:

Really good shot. I like the harsh framing too, how you've lost your chin and top of your head. Really suits the shot (y)

Thank you, and don't worry I wouldn't hurt a fly.....which just goes to show a picture can lie:rules:

Ewan has done well .
imho.

not to bad a shot matey.

md

Thanks Dave(y)

Communication doesn't quite hit the spot for me - great idea but composition and focus look a tad off :( Sorry!

However Self....one of the best self portraits I've seen on this forum - Excellent!!!

Nuff said!

Communication doesn't quite hit the spot for me - great idea but composition and focus look a tad off :( Sorry!

However Self....one of the best self portraits I've seen on this forum - Excellent!!!

Nuff said!

Thanks John and I agree about Communication I need to re do it, time was against me..

I'm not sure self is that good, but I'm never one to turn down a bit of praise so thank you very much(y)

Mark

Thanks John and I agree about Communication I need to re do it, time was against me..

I'm not sure self is that good, but I'm never one to turn down a bit of praise so thank you very much(y)

Mark

To me it is Mark - clarity, great B&W and such an intense expression - it just works! (y)

That's a great shot, and I really like the framing. Well done. :)

Very powerful - excellent in all respects - composition, lighting, mono conversion... well done! :clap::clap:

Gotta agree, very well done Mark :clap::clap: A very intense look and the mono conversion has helped bring that out too I think.

oooh now that self portrait slapped me in the face!

I'm with John - that is a fantastic shot and you should be proud of it. Very striking and the eyes say it all. The mono conversion is top draw as well. I could go on saying complimentary things this shot for some time... :clap::clap:

Wow, some many kind comments, thanks to all of you for taking the time to comment.

I feel quite humble that so many of you think it's such a good shot.

Arghhh what a horrible theme for one so disorganised as me!:bang:And as if to demonstrate the point I only started trying to get the shot today and I have a portrait sitting in about an hour from now, so this'll have to do.
Luckily Louise is far more organised than I.;)

Thanks for looking

Mark(y)

Last edited:
I had to have a little chuckle... becuase sewing kit was my first idea too! Louise's is far more organised than mine though so I had to abandon that idea.

It definately fits the theme and I think you have done well with the subject - I just don't think the theme lends itself to exciting shots. Someone will prove me wrong now... you watch!

Wow, that is organised!
Nice work. Looks good with that crop as well. It would definitly have lost it's impact if it hadnt have been cropped in that manner.

Good take on the theme, and I really like the crop that you've used to give it some more impact.

If I'm honest, as photos go it's not really exciting me much but I think that's the theme and not you.

:agree:

(lazy git, ain't I!)

Love the colours, meets the theme but I would have like to have seen it from a less straightforward viewpoint maybe making us think a bit about what we were looking at?

You're ahead of me anyway :)! As usual! ;)

It seems there needs to be one tidy person in a household (to provide fodder for themes like this :)) That's a very organised sewing box. (y)

I like the shot - the colours work well, it meets the theme, and the only suggestion I can make is to crop the edge of the box at the top to correspond with the bottom. Good effort for an uninspiring theme, Mark. :clap:

Jean

That really is tidy, good shot to Mark. The colours are good and the image is sharp. (y)

Back