Medium Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

Looking for a bit of advice.
RZ67, 2 x backs, 2 x lenses & a light meter. So since I got this lot in 1997 it has been stored & carried in an alloy case (one of those that open like a tool box)
Trouble is it's heavy and cumbersome to carry any distance. So I'm looking for a bargain camera bag that will hold this gear over the shoulder to enable me to venteure out with it even more. I have looked on eBay and there seem to be some good bargains from China but I'm unsure what size I'm going to need.

Anny pointers would be great and what do you use to carry your medium format kit?
The Redsnapper Duo shoulder bag would probably do the job, depending on your choice of lenses or the Tamrac Expedition 5 if you prefer the rucksack option.

Hi Nick
The Snapper looks too small but now looking at the Tarmac 6
I've got my RZ sitting in the Redsnapper bag as I type, plenty of room with lens and back attached inserted into the bag upright + room for extra lens and lightmeter with room for extra film backs in the end pockets.

But although it does fit I find it too heavy for a shoulder and if walking any distance prefer the Tamrac rucksack.

Thanks for the info NIck.... Hence I think the Tarmac will win. They are heavy beasts after a while walking lol. Twice as heavy at my age ;)

Last edited:
I've got my RZ sitting in the Redsnapper bag as I type, plenty of room with lens and back attached inserted into the bag upright + room for extra lens and lightmeter with room for extra film backs in the end pockets.

But although it does fit I find it too heavy for a shoulder and if walking any distance prefer the Tamrac rucksack.

Indeed. When I used my RB67, I had the body, 2 backs, (attached) 50mm and a 90mm lens in a mini trekker, with room left for a basic digital setup and filters etc. As Nick says, you'd likely not want to have that amount of weight in anything other than a comfy rucksack.

Looking for a bit of advice.
RZ67, 2 x backs, 2 x lenses & a light meter. So since I got this lot in 1997 it has been stored & carried in an alloy case (one of those that open like a tool box)
Trouble is it's heavy and cumbersome to carry any distance. So I'm looking for a bargain camera bag that will hold this gear over the shoulder to enable me to venteure out with it even more. I have looked on eBay and there seem to be some good bargains from China but I'm unsure what size I'm going to need.

Anny pointers would be great and what do you use to carry your medium format kit?

Well I'll be bringing, to Whipsnade, my RB67 with prism, grip and two lenses in just a normal camera bag...erm from my usual source, but it would make your shoulders ache eventually and a backpack is better.

Indeed. When I used my RB67, I had the body, 2 backs, (attached) 50mm and a 90mm lens in a mini trekker, with room left for a basic digital setup and filters etc. As Nick says, you'd likely not want to have that amount of weight in anything other than a comfy rucksack.

Thanks for the info Jonathan..... Looks just up my street and I like Lowepro

Back