Medium Format

LO Jim, where have you been? Good to see you back in the fold. :)
@menthel

I bought an ETRS a few months ago with a metered prism and speed grip to use as a walk about camera, as I didn't want to have to keep using a handheld meter. It's definitely one of the easiest cameras to use out of the ones I own, and the focus screen is the best by far as it's very bright and clear. I took it on holiday and used 13 rolls of film on it, and I was very happy. When you've added a grip and prism it's a bit of a beast, although I managed to walk over 54 miles in 6 days with it with no problem

I just happened across this thread and had a look at your website and your photographs from New York. You're images are all excellent and they definitely a "character" to them that digital photographs lack. Have they been scanned/edited or straight from the camera? I'd love to get myself a TLR camera to see what I could come away with - I really like your set from Paris.

I just happened across this thread and had a look at your website and your photographs from New York. You're images are all excellent and they definitely a "character" to them that digital photographs lack. Have they been scanned/edited or straight from the camera? I'd love to get myself a TLR camera to see what I could come away with - I really like your set from Paris.

Thanks very much Steven :)

They're scanned and edited to a degree; I posted the films off to UK Film Lab who scan, de-dust, do basic adjustments to bring out the characters of the specific film etc. You just post the film off and then in 1-2 weeks you get an email with a download link with the finished images. The only thinkg I really do afterwards is a bit of sharpening maybe, and the occasional crop if it's needed.

You should definitely buy a TLR, even if you don't get on with it you can sell it on for pretty much what you paid for it, or close to it. They're so much fun to use as well, and there's nothing quite looking down on a waist level finder. Plus you get lots of unique looks wandering round a city with a TLR :D

You think that was exciting, wait until you've finished the roll and take it out again.....you may explode. :D

Silly question. When the film is finished,does it have paper at the other end (like when you load it). Do you have to put it in anything to protect it or is it purely the spool?

Silly question. When the film is finished,does it have paper at the other end (like when you load it). Do you have to put it in anything to protect it or is it purely the spool?

It's basically as @Phil V has said, although it will vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. For most of Fuji's films, there is a sticker to seal the paper at the end. For Kodak and Ilford, however, you usually lick the extra bit of paper to seal the roll like you would an envelope.

Just make sure the roll stays wrapped tight so that no light gets in and it's recommend that you fold over the very end of the backing paper when you do seal the roll, as otherwise it can be difficult for the lab (or whoever develops the film) to unseal it in the dark.

If you have any problems, I'm sure that there are videos on youtube demonstrating as much. Actually, I think there used to be such a video on UK Film Lab's Facebook page, as they had a number of customers not folding over the paper at the end, so you could look to see if that's still there.

Shaheed;

Sorry to go off topic, your photo titled; 'All about Sophia', taken with a 85mm at f1.4, which lens was used for that please? It's a sublime photograph!

Regards;
Peter

It's basically as @Phil V has said, although it will vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. For most of Fuji's films, there is a sticker to seal the paper at the end. For Kodak and Ilford, however, you usually lick the extra bit of paper to seal the roll like you would an envelope.

Just make sure the roll stays wrapped tight so that no light gets in and it's recommend that you fold over the very end of the backing paper when you do seal the roll, as otherwise it can be difficult for the lab (or whoever develops the film) to unseal it in the dark.

If you have any problems, I'm sure that there are videos on youtube demonstrating as much. Actually, I think there used to be such a video on UK Film Lab's Facebook page, as they had a number of customers not folding over the paper at the end, so you could look to see if that's still there.

Cheers. That's really helpful.

So in general, err on the side of overexposure rather than underexposure with film?

The wife saw the credit card bill.....I think I would have been in less trouble had I not bought the extra lens!!

Cheers. That's really helpful.

So in general, err on the side of overexposure rather than underexposure with print film?

The wife saw the credit card bill.....I think I would have been in less trouble had I not bought the extra lens!!

Yes and underexpose slide film.

As always it's about maintaining detail in the highlights, we can't bring back what has no info.

So in general, err on the side of overexposure rather than underexposure with film?

Yes. There are a couple of threads about this, eg https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/carmencita-how-exposure-affects-film.589706/#post-6891356

The blog post @Carl Hall refers to in the first post of that thread seems to have changed its address to http://carmencitafilmlab.com/how-exposure-affects-film/ . Definitely worth a look. UK Film Lab have run a few similar comparisons.

I am not quite certain how this applies to black and white film. It certainly does NOT apply to transparency (slide) film. There you have much less dynamic range and it's much less forgiving; you really have to think about your highlights and shadows. In landscape, get the grads out. But get it right, and it's stunning, from the little "stained glass window" onwards!

skysh4rk;

What medium format camera are you running now can I ask ?

I currently have at my disposal a Minolta Autocord, Rolleiflex 2.8E, Hasselblad 2000FC, Lubitel 166U, and a couple of Holgas (120 GTLR and 120N).

Yes, negative film has lots of overexposure tolerance, if you need it. There are many examples on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

Rather annoyingly, I forgot to test my lights with the camera before loading the film. I assume I can take the back off and text the lights /PC sync rather than wasting film!!

Did you chop it in for a Hasselblad?

No, I owned both at the same time.

They're quite similar systems though, so I eventually decided that one had to go for now. The only reason that the Hasselblad won out was because of the Zeiss 110mm f/2 lens. If I sold that lens, I'd probably just go back to Bronica, as the Hasselblad system is old and quirky to say the least.

Rather annoyingly, I forgot to test my lights with the camera before loading the film. I assume I can take the back off and text the lights /PC sync rather than wasting film!!

Yeah, just throw the dark slide in and pop the back off. You have to put the camera into multi-exposure mode to fire without a back on though.

I should note, however, If you turn the multi-exposure lever on and keep the lens covered, it's possible to trip the shutter with the back on too and not waste any frames. After tripping the shutter, turning the crank will just drop the mirror and cock the shutter without winding onto the next frame, if it's in multi-exposure mode.

Last edited:
Has anyone here tested the Contax 645's internal flash exposure meter for such settings?

Hellooo big boy!!!! ;)

Looking forward to viewing your images Shaheed.

I recently owned a RZ67 and a few lenses etc. I sold it on due to running costs........ developing + printing.

I've owned many 120 film cameras over the years (6.45/6x6/6x7) and a Toyo 45C

Last edited:
Looking forward to viewing your images Shaheed.

I recently owned a RZ67 and a few lenses etc. I sold it on due to running costs........ developing + printing.

I've owned many 120 film cameras over the years (6.45/6x6/6x7) and a Toyo 45C

Cheers

Not had the chance to shoot yet. I can't wait though. I'm scared now that the images I produce might be a let down!! Whilst I've got pretty comfortable with digital, I'm still feeling my way round film. I guess I know the basics, but it's just a different way of shooting.

I love the idea of slowing down and being more considered. My friends daughter is a photography student and she will come to help me test the camera out - I said she could play with the lights/d800/d750 as a way of saying thanks.

Interestingly, I've already had a couple of thoughts as to what I want to shoot and how. I feel I'm planning more and putting quite a lot more thought into it compared to just picking up the digital camera and shooting away!

Rather than dash in and then be disappointed, why not shoot experimentally where you deliberately test the limits of the gear first. Then you can make some judgement calls about how to use it without feeling that at first you didn't succeed - it's not free like digital, but could save money later.

Rather than dash in and then be disappointed, why not shoot experimentally where you deliberately test the limits of the gear first. Then you can make some judgement calls about how to use it without feeling that at first you didn't succeed - it's not free like digital, but could save money later.

I think I'm going to plan some shots, use my digital to meter/check lighting. That way, even if I balls it up to start with, I'll at least have some images!!

Busy! ;)

Not doing much photography at the moment and deffo no film. :(

The boy is much bigger than that now!

Well, must try harder.....:D

Well. I asked for some volunteers to test out the new camera on Facebook.......amazing how many people wanted shots of their kids/pets.

My fault for not specifying that I didn't want kids/pets!!!

So I gave in and just tested it on the kids. Shot two rolls.

What a wonderful experience. Loved it. What was brilliant was that I between shots my youngest was desperate to look through the ground glass at me - she loves it!!

I have a horrible feeling that many will be duds but I guess it's part of the learning curve.

Completely come at this backwards but wish I had tried film sooner!!
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468012354.253375.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468012261.533232.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468012285.950412.jpg

I have the same problem, I can't break out the RB67 with out the kids wanting a shot. The elder has taken good shots with it, even when he was lighter than the camera.

Ok. I now have two rolls. The tape isn't holding it closed. Just sellotape it?

Also where to develop now. The place I wanted to use is going to Canada (in general not bad lifestyle choice) but I need to see what's on my film!!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468014325.186482.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1468014348.840626.jpg

Ok. I now have two rolls. The tape isn't holding it closed. Just sellotape it?

Is it Kodak or Ilford? If so, did you lick the paper? It should stick after that, just like an envelope.

Otherwise, I'd use a rubber band, but tape can work too.

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the camera.

Is it Kodak or Ilford? If so, did you lick the paper? It should stick after that, just like an envelope.

Otherwise, I'd use a rubber band, but tape can work too.

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the camera.

Ah. No licky no likey. That's where I went wrong!!

Ilford and Kodak!!

I just need to get them sent somewhere to be scanned and developed!!

Back