weekly mercurius's 52 in 2014: catch up Weeks 28 - 31

Hi, Action, on theme and she's having a good time :) I'd have either cropped or waited for her to bet closer as she looks quite lost I the frame.

Shall interesting shaped tree there. Pity about the LH tree being a little distracting. Slightly shallow DOF would have helped.

Well spotted with the Number 11 an interesting take on the theme. Nice low angle with good wide DOF. I don't mind the fence....would have been a hell of a cloning job :)

Cheers.
Thanks for looking.

Some very good images on this catch up... for me the stand out image is 'Shape' Excellent spot, the colours are nice and vibrant and the bow in the trunk fits the frame well..

Must say the last shot for number is again a great idea and works very well in B&W

Great Catch-up :clap:
Thanks DK.

HI M

I'm loving that Tree (y)....it's such a strong shape I didn't even even notice the other tree till I read Andy's comment !

Action....nice bit of motion blur in her legs , looks sharper on flickr than here for some reason :thinking: , agree with Andy about possibly a closer crop

NUmber....different & good take on the theme , mono works well...like it (y)
Thanks Lynne.

Of the last few number I think is the stand out. I really like it, b&w contrast not too high it's great
I do wonder if with a bit of perspective correction you might be able to bring the centre of the path in the distance more to the centre of the frame without upsetting the position of the path in the frame that is in the foreground? And a slight crop on the right so the track meets the bottom right of the frame as per the left hand side perhaps?....being picky I know!! ;)
I see what you're saying, but not much time at the moment to manipulate the image.

Well done for catching up. Something I'm attempting at the moment

Nature - Well spotted. I'd like to see what this looks like in a few years time when nature has probably overtaken the chair

Action - You've caught the action but unfortunately this appears to be oof and with some motion blur

Mono - Interesting patterns but I can't help think this looks like it's been blown up a tad too much

Twisted - Some nice texture in the subject (a walking stick?) Being picky I'd clean up a few bits on the background

Fresh - I'm finding this a bit jumbled but I like how you've got flowers in all states from closed to fully open

Shape - You've caught some nice lighting on the tree and background

Number - I like you thinking. Very well spotted.
Thanks Peter. Good luck with your catch up!

Hi there,
Action... your runner fits the theme but not a very exciting shot.
Shape.. love this one, I like funny shaped trees(y)(y)
Numbers... well seen a good take on the theme:)
Cheers.

Hi think I prefer the first one has an air of mystery about it, I don't think the B+W is helping the second one its sort of lost against the wall

No! strong had potential but I suspect it's one of them things that is hard to capture, compositionally.

Texture, I see where your were going but is is a bit lost. I'd like a much closer framing.

Cheers.

Hi M

Strong...struggling to make sense of what I'm seeing...I can see a face but that's about it ? On the plus side I do like the mono conversion...plenty of detail

texture....as others have said the plant is a little lost against the stone work......would love to see the color version though :)

Strong - Amusingly I feel this would have made a stronger texture image

Texture - I'm wondering whether playing around with the greens during the conversion would have made the plant stand out a little more

Hi think I prefer the first one has an air of mystery about it, I don't think the B+W is helping the second one its sort of lost against the wall
Thanks for commenting.

No! strong had potential but I suspect it's one of them things that is hard to capture, compositionally.
Texture, I see where your were going but is is a bit lost. I'd like a much closer framing.
Cheers.
Thanks.

Hi there'
he does seem a bit weighed down by the weight of what ever he was carrying.
Texture like Andy say a bit better crop and maybe the colour version:)
Thanks - don't think the colour works .

I have to agree with Judi's comments.

Hi M
Strong...struggling to make sense of what I'm seeing...I can see a face but that's about it ? On the plus side I do like the mono conversion...plenty of detail
texture....as others have said the plant is a little lost against the stone work......would love to see the color version though :)
Thanks, but colour doesn't really work.

Strong - Amusingly I feel this would have made a stronger texture image
Texture - I'm wondering whether playing around with the greens during the conversion would have made the plant stand out a little more
Thanks for looking.

nice shot for wild, the DOF helps to focus on the subject and the inclusion of the bug really works (y)
I like the idea for dream, a really pleasant image with detail throughout from sky to shadows. crit wise id just say id straighten up the horizon.:)

Hi there...that's really nicely composed for wild ...lots of lovely colour in the fly and I like the fact that you got the whole flower in, I think there's a bee there too.

Love the soft colours in the deckchairs on the beach and the aspect of the shot ...the horizon police have been after me this week too :)

Wild, nice detail, but not keen in the fly.

Dream, like this one. Lovely colours and nice low POV. I had a quick crop and even though I cropped the left and right chair in half I find it quite dramatic.

Chests.

Bit of a catch up from me... so here goes:

21 Strong: nice mono conversion and definitely on theme. Nice textures which are captured well because of the light. If I were being a bit (overly?) critical I would say a shallower DOF might help blur out the wall behind a bit... Good shot!
22 Texture: despite the other comments, this works well for me. I think, the conversion has really worked and makes the leaves pop into 3D which emphasises their texture and that of the wall.
23 Wild: good capture and it's definitely wild. Composition works, DOF choice and lighting good. A solid picture!
24 Dream: the second deckchair composition and it works for me. Sky is perhaps a touch flat for a dream (it looks a bit chilly to me!) but overall I like it.

Four good photos, well thought out and executed!

nice shot for wild, the DOF helps to focus on the subject and the inclusion of the bug really works (y)
I like the idea for dream, a really pleasant image with detail throughout from sky to shadows. crit wise id just say id straighten up the horizon.:)
Thanks for the comments.

Hi there...that's really nicely composed for wild ...lots of lovely colour in the fly and I like the fact that you got the whole flower in, I think there's a bee there too.

Love the soft colours in the deckchairs on the beach and the aspect of the shot ...the horizon police have been after me this week too :)
Thanks for looking.

Wild, nice detail, but not keen in the fly.

Dream, like this one. Lovely colours and nice low POV. I had a quick crop and even though I cropped the left and right chair in half I find it quite dramatic.

Chests.
Thanks.

Bit of a catch up from me... so here goes:
21 Strong: nice mono conversion and definitely on theme. Nice textures which are captured well because of the light. If I were being a bit (overly?) critical I would say a shallower DOF might help blur out the wall behind a bit... Good shot!
22 Texture: despite the other comments, this works well for me. I think, the conversion has really worked and makes the leaves pop into 3D which emphasises their texture and that of the wall.
23 Wild: good capture and it's definitely wild. Composition works, DOF choice and lighting good. A solid picture!
24 Dream: the second deckchair composition and it works for me. Sky is perhaps a touch flat for a dream (it looks a bit chilly to me!) but overall I like it.
Four good photos, well thought out and executed!
Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Hi there,
wild.. Nice detail in the flower as Susie says nice to have the whole flower in :)
Dream... great shot, nice soft colours just a little tweek of the horizon needed :)
Thanks Judi.

Hi M

Wild...lovely DOF , good whites & the fly is a bonus...like the sheen on his body :)

Dream...yeah , good one ,good colors , detail in very part of the image :) no real crit other than a quick straighten
Thanks Lynn

Hi M

on all counts I love it.......great sky , a sliver of land almost symmetrically curved to either corner & just enough light to make out the guy lines holding the mast secure :clap:

It's perfect barring one teeny weeny detail............:banghead:

it's listing to right :banghead:

Is this a joke? - Vertical, not?

If not, oops what a clanger,

and if it is, nice one! :D

Hi, crit already mentioned not quite vertical, great sky and nice idea

Hi M

on all counts I love it.......great sky , a sliver of land almost symmetrically curved to either corner & just enough light to make out the guy lines holding the mast secure :clap:

It's perfect barring one teeny weeny detail............:banghead:

it's listing to right :banghead:
Thanks Lynn. Must be my eyes then. I thougth it was straight - and had even straightened it up in LR!

I like it and although it's slightly off vertical, I've compared it against the edge of another window and it's not far off... I think. :confused:
Yes, must be me then!

Vertical... lots of detail in the clouds, and we can see the guy lines just very slightly leaning (y)
Thanks for looking.

Wild - lovely simple image and fits the theme.

Dream - love the collection of deck chairs, fits the theme for me.

Vertical - fits the theme, love the sky with the shapes the clouds.
Thanks for your comments Mandy.

Vertical, wow what a sky.
I did consider a crop but that would remove some of the sky.
Cheers.
Thanks.

Hi there ..... absolutely love the sky in this one.....great choice for the theme.
Thanks for the kind words.

Hi, crit already mentioned not quite vertical, great sky and nice idea
Thanks Allan.

Week 27 - Loud

Jumped a week, will have to come back to Yum. Just managing to stay in here with everything else going on. Apologies for not commenting on everyone's pics - not expecting any comments back.
Loud by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi
Strong - well caught and certainly on theme. B&w suits it
Texture - in this case i think that b&w does not suit it - too flat i feel . would prefer to see colour
wild - very good focus, pov and colour(y)
Dreamy - like that a lot(y) Lovely warm summery feeling, dreaming of the beach - really like the erratic arrangement of the chairs
vertical - like the contrast between the curved base and the tower. Good sky. Not vertical tho:)
loud - town crier makes a good subject. Colourful and feeling of real action taking place. Agree with others re the half cropped out figure to right

Wild - Nice natural history shot. Including the fly adds interest

Dream - I like this. A traditional seaside theme which could be seen on a postcard

Vertical - Nice symmetrical image which is strong as a result. A really interesting sky boosts it even further

Loud - Blimey I wouldn't want to stand in front of him. Forgive the pun but this shouts Loud. Pity about the background but that probably couldn't be done anything with other than using a shallower DoF

Very yummy looking and I like the way you've arranged them on the diagonal, but I'm not quite sure about the slightly oof foreground.

Good composition and nicely lit. I do wonder if a wide DOF (per Elaine/Mandy) would have worked better, but I can't say for certain...

The super close shot works well - a nice and different take on the theme. Well done!

Back