weekly mercurius's 52 in 2014: catch up Weeks 28 - 31

It's on theme and I like the residue inside. Looks a little gray on my work's PC.

As said, I didn't go, "WOW", but sometimes I use the themes as simple training excersises in, for example, composiiton, lighting.

Cheers.

It's on theme and I like the residue inside. Looks a little gray on my work's PC.

As said, I didn't go, "WOW", but sometimes I use the themes as simple training excersises in, for example, composiiton, lighting.

Cheers.
Thanks. That's a good way to look at these exercises.

Positive

Just about on theme given the title but did not come to mind immediately. needs a bit straightening and if it is to be central then it should be exactly so IMO. Bit of spill over of pink into the b/g. Good 'drops' and nicely lit rim of glass
Thanks.

Week 10 - Time
Found shot in a local undertaker's window. Just like the shadow of the word on the gravestone and the contrast between the transience of the shadow and the permanence and finality of the stone.

Time
by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Hi M

I keep looking at this , trying to work out if it's 2 images blended or my eye's playing tricks on me.........ahha...just sussed it....shadows from the writing on the window showing up on the headstone....crikey I can be dim at times :rolleyes: The mono works well , bit of a sombre shot & on theme :)

Hi M
I keep looking at this , trying to work out if it's 2 images blended or my eye's playing tricks on me.........ahha...just sussed it....shadows from the writing on the window showing up on the headstone....crikey I can be dim at times :rolleyes: The mono works well , bit of a sombre shot & on theme :)
Thanks Lynne.

Hi there...yes it is quite sombre ...but it's on course for the theme....the black and white really suits it, and well done for capturing the reflection.
Processing really suits this one. Good contrast range a the shadow works really well.

Cheers.
Like the mono on this and good spot (y)
a interesting take on the theme mono conversion works well
That's well spotted , good work in not showing a reflection from the glass too :)
Time ... a well executed image the b&w suits it, it fits the theme but too sombre for me :)
Well seen in catching the shadow of the words from the window. Using B&W suits the subject matter.

Thanks all for your comments. Hoping for more inspiring and cheerful themes!

Swirl... a little bit different nicely done, I guess that its water i like it :)
Thanks Judi, it is water.

Swirl - fits the theme different I like it.
Thanks Mandy.

That's a nice idea, I wonder if it could be a bit brighter, other than that I like the square crop :)
Thanks DK. I tried a lighter version but the blown highlights looked even worse!

Hi there.....lovely swirl....lots of different colour tones in there, I'm trying to work out what it is...is it a glass of water?
Thanks Susie. It's water in a tall glass vase.

The square crop works well with the subject. I'm wondering whether some colour out of shot around the vase would have added more interest in the water

Thanks Susie. It's water in a tall glass vase.

Ahhh interesting.. looks like a view into a crystal ball... Quite intriguing and I like you've left the bit of color in.

And yep, square crop works well with the perfect circle.

Time - good spot and on theme. Pity that the b/g to 'counselling' is not all white curtain as those black bands distract somewhat. Good conversion to b&w which so suits the subject
Swirl - on theme and good crop and balance of tones. Looks a little like some glass being blown . Effective.

Good take on swirl, interesting light tones, crop works well (y) as Alan above, my first thought was, it looks like glass blowing :)

Ahhh interesting.. looks like a view into a crystal ball... Quite intriguing and I like you've left the bit of color in.

And yep, square crop works well with the perfect circle.
Thanks, the colour's a bit boring really, but I was concentrating on trying to capture the swirl while it was there.

Time - good spot and on theme. Pity that the b/g to 'counselling' is not all white curtain as those black bands distract somewhat. Good conversion to b&w which so suits the subject
Swirl - on theme and good crop and balance of tones. Looks a little like some glass being blown . Effective.
Thanks. The word 'burial' was on the window, but no idea whether the sun would ever be in the right position for it to throw the shadow in the right place to appear on the headstone.

Good take on swirl, interesting light tones, crop works well (y) as Alan above, my first thought was, it looks like glass blowing :)
Thank you for commenting.

Yeah, like it. Took me a while :)

Some colours would improve IMO, but I am partial to a square crop.

Cheers.
Agree about the colour: bit bland as it stands.

Nothing wrong with that at all.. Perfectly matched pose, well composed and nice light for you too.

Works a treat.

OOooo, lunch ;)

Well spotted, nice low angle and good detail in the fur. Feels a little tight for me...but I can see that a wider shot might also cause issues.

Cheers.

Linked bit tight in the frame as has been mentioned but well done for spotting them

Back