weekly Mikehamilton's 2012, 52 Week Challenge - Week 10 - Win Added to Page 5

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, here we go with my thread for my 2012, 52 Week Challenge.

After making a quite a significant investment in my photography equipment in the latter part of 2011, I think I am ready to give this a go. I had wanted to do a 366 challenge, but work and family commitments make that impossible for me.

Only thing im worried about is being repetitive, due to the fact that its only really going to be weekends ill be able to put some time in to this. So I will have to get my thinking cap on and get creative.

Going to set myself three Jokers for this challenge, and i have used one already so i only have TWO left :(

Wish me the best of luck, and hopefully I can create some good pictures along the way.

Mike

Week 1 - Direction
Week 2 - Fear
Week 3 - Sigh
Week 4 - Sweet
Week 5 - Secure
Week 6 - Industry
Week 7 - JOKER
Week 8 - Homemade
Week 9 - Money
Week 10 - Win
Week 11 -
Week 12 -
Week 13 -
Week 14 -
Week 15 -
Week 16 -
Week 17 -
Week 18 -
Week 19 -
Week 20 -
Week 21 -
Week 22 -
Week 23 -
Week 24 -
Week 25 -
Week 26 -
Week 27 -
Week 28 -
Week 29 -
Week 30 -
Week 31 -
Week 32 -
Week 33 -
Week 34 -
Week 35 -
Week 36 -
Week 37 -
Week 38 -
Week 39 -
Week 40 -
Week 41 -
Week 42 -
Week 43 -
Week 44 -
Week 45 -
Week 46 -
Week 47 -
Week 48 -
Week 49 -
Week 50 -
Week 51 -
Week 52 -

Last edited:
Best of luck with your 52 challenge Michael...don't worry about being repetitive...tis amazing how yourmind starts working after a few themes have been drawn...you'll surpise yourself (y)

with two michaels in the challenge this year...i might get confused? easily done for me... best of luck Michael!

good luck :banana:

Even given the shallow DoF (which I like) you can still recognise what this it. I like it. I maybe tempted to crop some off the top. When I scrolled it just off the top of my monitor it seemed to work for me. What do you think?

I like it!

Hi Michael,

Technically I think this is excellent. Pin sharp focus, nicely controlled DoF, good angle for composition and absolutely bang on theme. Emotionally though it’s lacking a bit of wow factor for me – I think possibly because the oof area is far larger than the area in focus (although the balance seems a lot better in the cropped version.) I wonder how it would have looked with your dashboard lights on just to give that background a bit more “oomph”.

Hi

Personally I prefer the un-cropped image, not really sure why, I think maybe it looks more balanced. Good use of DoF I really like it. :)

Ruth

I too prefer the uncropped version Michael, a good take on the theme but I agree with Sarah, maybe the dashboard lights illuminated to give a bit of punch. I like the shallow depth of field and the composition is just right too. Iain

Thank you everyone.

Sarah & Iain - I will venture out in a mo and have a try with the lights on ;)

Good one Mike (y)
If it works I will take a wee bit of credit ;)
If not, I will deny all knowledge :LOL:

yeah the lights do take the focus of the image away from the stalk / arrows, i tried with a flash but it just didn't work.

I think the non lit picture works better for the theme of the week, but as people requested a dash light shot. i had to oblige :)

i think if i had a normal focus where just the numbers lit up in green it would have worked better, but mine is a ST170 so the whole dial lights up.

Last edited:
Mikehamilton said:
yeah the lights do take the focus of the image away from the stalk / arrows, i tried with a flash but it just didn't work.

I think the non lit picture works better for the theme of the week, but as people requested a dash light shot. i had to oblige :)

i think if i had a normal focus where just the numbers lit up in green it would have worked better, but mine is a ST170 so the whole dial lights up.

Maybe subtle light painting on the stalk or a small directional light source ?

Mikehamilton said:
Good idea, i may try that when i have a helping hand and its not chucking it down.

I still need to do my photo for this week and time is running out!! Hopefully tomorrow night as I know what I am doing (I think). Otherwise I might fail at the first hurdle.

#1 for me. #2 is a bit bright, but it is bold.

#1, another first, as far as I've seen. I'd like to see both arrows in focus and sharp.

Cheers.

Sorry but I am sticking with the original I think the lights distract from the arrow on the stalk and it was a direction theme rather than light or colour. The the colours are nice and vibrant though depends on what you want the image to say.

I agree with you Mike - think I prefer the first one. Good luck for the next 51 - Graeme.

Yep, definitely number 1. I like the lit one, but it does lose the theme.

Back