weekly Mikehamilton's 2012, 52 Week Challenge - Week 10 - Win Added to Page 5

HI Mike....well done for posting a different version...love the vibrancy of the dash lights...can't choose between the 2 versions so just a (y) from me

ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

OK, Week 2 - Fear

Now this was a real head scratcher for me, as i really didn't have a clue what to do without pinching other peoples ideas, but driving home one night i had an idea (sorry its motoring related again :()

Whats one of motorists fears? Getting caught speeding.

So my idea was to try a little light painting on a speed camera with light trails going past. Good idea, Yes. Execution, In my opinion, i rushed it a tad hence a poor outcome.

But i am less than happy with the final result, as for some reason (camera slight movement, wind etc...) the layers ever so slightly didn't align properly, but you cant really notice it. But overall im not happy with this at all. The light painting is patchy, there is an odd halo around the camera. Or am i being picky?

But im busy with work all of the rest of the week and i have a busy weekend ahead, so this will have to do, i may do a re-shoot later on during the challenge.

Photo52 Week 2 - Fear "Don't Get Caught" by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

Also what im going to do is create a video of my PP work for each weeks photo. so hopefully it will show my improvement over the weeks in that aspect :)

Again im not happy with the PP on this, hopefully ill have a better week next week, as by my own highish standards for my own work, this is poor :(

Video

Mike

Last edited:
Nice idea and fear indeed...!

Well composed and the video had me going :puke:...I really must start to use layers!

For me, I'm not keen on the white balance.

Cheers.

Nice composition, as Treehugger said maybe more tail lights would have help the impact of the image but a different interpretation on the theme, well done!

I can see the halo but to me it looks kind of like flare or dust spots, but if you are like me you tend to be overly critical after you've spent ages staring at the same image in PS!

Direction : I like DOF shots like that ;)... it fits the theme nicely, might be worth a wee warm up, it feels very cold (wb)...

Fear : An interesting take on the theme, and I know a lot of people who "fear" that one... you see them all the time, not quite leaving trails of tyre marks as they break before them ... Including the light trails really makes it.

Nice composition, as Treehugger said maybe more tail lights would have help the impact of the image but a different interpretation on the theme, well done!

I can see the halo but to me it looks kind of like flare or dust spots, but if you are like me you tend to be overly critical after you've spent ages staring at the same image in PS!

I realise what the halo is, i did fix it originally but when i overlayed the next layer i didn't correct it again.

I did try to get as many tail lights as possible but there was very little traffic :(

Just doing some catch ups....

Wk1 - Really liked the edited version of the unlit version. But now the bright lit version is starting to grow on me, would love to see a combination with the stalk clearer and the lights on

Wk2 - Great idea... I have a dreaded feeling I got caught yesterday too :doh:

Good luck with the rest of your challenge (y)

Week 3 "Sigh"

I had the idea from this shot from the moment i saw this weeks subject, but i was going to set it up, but as luck would have it, i caught her in the act.

So apologies for the harsh shadow as it was from the pop up flash. This is the first time ive tried a B&W conversion, so tips would be handy on that.

Photo52 - Week Three "Sigh" by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

Mike

Last edited:
Still playing catchup! (so many 52 treads!!!)

Anyway a great start to your 52

Direction - i'm a bit torn on this, both composed very well and well taken. I prefer the cropped b/w one but the colour adds something to it yet is a little too much at the same time!

Fear - i'm liking your take on the theme. yes i believe tail lights would have worked better (direction of the speed camera) but otherwise a very good photo.

Sigh - i've been struggling with this one too but loving yours. i'd sigh aswell if my little one did that. well taken and great as a b/w.

good luck with the next 49 wks

wardie

Great moment to capture. Like you said, its a shame about the shadow but if you wanted you could take the time to pp it out. One of my faves for this week (y)

Great moment to capture. Like you said, its a shame about the shadow but if you wanted you could take the time to pp it out. One of my faves for this week (y)

Cheers, ill have a go at editing out the shadow :)

Like the idea , think i might have been doing a bit more than giving a sigh...

Steve

Its ok, my son has all ready written all over the door so it needed re-decorating anyway

Hi Mike,

fantastic idea and it should be quite straightforward to play down the shadow. When I saw this, I immediately felt the same familiar sigh as the pic took me back to similar situations.

Great candid shot! It's nice that you could catch her in the act rather than staging it!
For me the B&W conversion looks fine and the shadow does not bother me too much, I would probably leave it in.

I like Direction (all versions tbh) but would echo the poster who wants lights on but indicator clear.

Fear is good and well taken but I assume the higher level red trails are from a truck? They just seem a bit out of place at first glance and run through the camera.

Little Madam!!! That'd certainly make me sigh. Then shout. Then sigh again!!!

Great shot! I love the B&W conversion.

Sigh...been there...scrubbed that :D

Well captured. I feel a crop of the right might focus the eye a bit more.

Cheers and buy her a white board...worked for me :D

Lovely take, one of those sighs that brings a smile to your face:)

Back