weekly Mikehamilton's 2012, 52 Week Challenge - Week 10 - Win Added to Page 5

That's real nice Michael... making my mouth water for sure :)

Nicely set up, good colours and nice focus - Great Picture (y)

cheers

A wall of pastilles! I am going to have to buy some of these now. Good focal point, nice colours and the details has come through really well.

I bought three packets, and they are all gone :)

Hi,

Great photos, love the sigh one, reminds me of my 3yr old girl who used to do that all over the walls :nono::LOL::LOL:

oooo yum yum, you can tell what they are straight away so you also get some applause :clap: :clap:

'Wall of pastilles', what a good idea - could be a little sharper (like mine!) but I like it.

I've got no lens excuses, Nikon 24-70 used but handheld in low light was my downfall.
Your idea though was much better than mine and so well done.

Sweet indeed! There's something about that that just doesn't grab me like your other shots, but I'm not clever enough to know what! :(

Like Southdown said really don’t know if the mix of colours are right or not and think it could do with a bit more sharpness

Week 5 - Secure.

Hello guys.

I set myself my own little personal challenge for this week that i could only use my iphone. lol

So i was walking to work this morning and spotted this lock, i liked the transition between rusty and shiney.

Seeing as Apple were kind enough to give us the Nik software app for christmas i thought i would have a go at using it. So i sharpened the pic a touch and increased the contrast. then i used the tilt shift function to add a little shallower DOF to the shot.

So what you do think?

Photo52 Challenge - Week 5 Secure by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

I will at some point get a shot with the trusty 7D for this week :)

Mike

Last edited:
Week 5 - Secure.

Hello guys.

I set myself my own little personal challenge for this week that i could only use my iphone. lol

So i was walking to work this morning and spotted this lock, i liked the transition between rusty and shiney.

Seeing as Apple were kind enough to give us the Nik software app for christmas i thought i would have a go at using it. So i sharpened the pic a touch and increased the contrast. then i used the tilt shift function to add a little shallower DOF to the shot.

So what you do think?

Photo52 Challenge - Week 5 Secure by Mike-Hamilton Photography, on Flickr

I will at some point get a shot with the trusty 7D for this week :)

Mike

I like that, the nice taut chain with the lock under strain shows how secure it is, and the angle of the paving in the background somehow adds to it too (y)

Good shot. Bang on theme. Great composition and all with a phone!

(y)

Michael i'm catching up

Week 1 - loved the second shoot of the shot withe lights on the colour and DOF work well

Week 2 - Fear - having just got rid of my last points i can relate to it

week 3 - i can feel the sigh from here

week 4 - this just seems a tad flat for me, think i would have liked to see space around them

week 5 - great, theres some clever phones out there

Good shot. Bang on theme. Great composition and all with a phone!

(y)

Thank you :)

Michael i'm catching up

Week 1 - loved the second shoot of the shot withe lights on the colour and DOF work well

Week 2 - Fear - having just got rid of my last points i can relate to it

week 3 - i can feel the sigh from here

week 4 - this just seems a tad flat for me, think i would have liked to see space around them

week 5 - great, theres some clever phones out there

thank you for your feedback, im defiantly going to do sweet for a reshoot at some point during this challenge

Sweet - lacks punch somehow, could poss be lit from behind so they glow?

Secure - I agree with the shiny/rusty thing and like the oof edges to the shot.

Fear – Nice idea although I’d have maybe like to have seen more tail light trails than headlights

Sigh – Sigh indeed. I remember when my eldest did this on my sisters wall when he was 2 :shake:

Sweet – I like the wall idea. Nicely executed

Secure – Nice use of DoF

Sweet - lacks punch somehow, could poss be lit from behind so they glow?

Secure - I agree with the shiny/rusty thing and like the oof edges to the shot.

Fear – Nice idea although I’d have maybe like to have seen more tail light trails than headlights

Sigh – Sigh indeed. I remember when my eldest did this on my sisters wall when he was 2 :shake:

Sweet – I like the wall idea. Nicely executed

Secure – Nice use of DoF

Many Thanks.

The oof areas on the secure pic were added with the tilt-shift affect in the Nik software app, as the standard phone lens cant do oof very well :(

Good pic for the iPhone I like the transition from old to new chain and the lighting

Thank you

Really like it and impressed with what you can do on the phone (y)

Cheers

Ive had another play with the app and done a B&W conversion

ab1145f2.jpg

Im not sure, i think i prefer the original :thinking:

"secure' I do like the colour version best. The mono white highlight looks a little blown on the clasp but I think it's less distracting in colour. Good composition and DoF bang on theme too. (y)

Nick

Hi, Michael, I have to ask, but is this a reference to fishing industry. It's a nightmare when you have to rush, but you did manage to beat the deadline.

Cheers.

Hi Mike... a shallower dof with the main focus on the boat would make it a great shot, good that you still got the shot in (y)

Many Thanks, i did try something similar to your suggestion but with some rope with the boat in the OOF background, i may edit that one up and see how that turns out.

You may not be happy with it but it does show industry. I've suffered from the same problem this week, was a bit late with the submission.

Agree with DK's comments.

Thank you

Hi, Michael, I have to ask, but is this a reference to fishing industry. It's a nightmare when you have to rush, but you did manage to beat the deadline.

Cheers.

Yes it was meant to show the fishing industry, i had planned on going down to folkestone harbour to have a look around the fish warehouse / factorys, however the weather then snowed then rained and by the time i got down there, it was all shut :(

Back