Monthly Minnnt's ETC project - August - Fisheye

That looks good, need to try it out on my xf1. :D

David, I hear where you are coming from, I have had a tough one as well, Ive been very slack, when I get home tonight I will have a proper look at the pictures and give some feedback

the one of the wier rocks.... love the panoramic aspect too,,

do like a bit of fake tilt-shift too. this works well, nice high viewpoint

Keep it up David (y)

Two new ones from me for this months natural light theme.

First up, a naturally back lit Japenese Maple tree from this afternoon glorious sunshine at Newstead Abbey. Love this effect and i shoot alot of pics in this style, especially with detailed leaves. I took a couple today but chose to post this one as the colours are so vibrant and they contrast really well with the sky.

Newstead Abbey
by David Raynham, on Flickr

And then this one was rather much a grab shot but the result i ended up with is excellent imo. The sunlight bounced back off of the slide and into her face which lit it really well.

Newstead Abbey
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for looking,
David. :)

Hi, David, SC, nice subtle photograph there and nice car!

Two nice CSLs, especially the second one. Not really SL, IMO. Then again, I Googled CSL and was wrong. There are bang on theme.

Nice subtle lading lines there. The edits one for me. Nice B&w conversion and I like the lines in the water.

Contre Jour, both on theme with the silhouettes and I prefer #2 mainly because the person in#1 isn't prominent enough.

Long exposure weir, nice long exposure but a bit wide and no real FG interest.

Well spotted tilt shift and good vantage point. Looks a little orange.

Post 87, two decent submission with good technique and I'd go for #1, mainly because of the almost empty LH lane.

Natural light, I expected a portrait :) but this is one of my favourite themes, I really like red. The red contrasts well against the blue in the sky. #2 in a nice ken but I'd like either eye contact or movement, or both.

Shallow DOF, good composition, likening the bokeh, I'd just like all the web in focus.

Good show and I also wondered last year why more people don't do the ETC.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Super crit as always. Took me all my time to figure out what SC and CSL was :D

Got a day of togging tomorrow hopefully so will try and get a few more themes knocked off the list.

Cheers.

David, just looking back over some of your photos

I really like the web, nice with the droplets

The slide with the girl (not sure if it's your daughter) is good, I really like the way the light has reflected and the expression on her face!

The maple is nice, I love the shape and colour of the leaves

Not sure about the hip/boot shots, I personally would find a better subject, but I know how hard it can be to get a subject when you are trying a new technique :) I like low down views just need the subject.

I see you have a new camera, enjoying it?

Hi, shoot from the hip works well, slightly nude exposed because so the very bright light, Well composed and I do like the space ship to his left :)

Phone photography, like it, nice and tight. Yeah, a little loose with the interpretation...

Cheers

Love the tilt shift David. And top marks for the mobile phone shot.

I'm sorry to have missed so much of this challenge but I still have 7 months to make amends!

You have done a really good job with the triptych processing which looks great, and thats a great base image but I think I agree with your own comment about finding a more suitable image because I'm not sure that this one suits being a triptych IYSWIM. Kind of looks like she's behind bars!

I keep coming back to look at this, what a cracker of a portrait. (y)

Last edited:
Cheers Bri. Yeah i looked at it after i'd posted it and thought it looks like she's in prison. :LOL: I'll have to have a look and see if any of my other images suit this theme better.

If you're interested, the album with this set of portraits in is here.

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Stitched as opposed to panoramic mode ?

Nice shot David, I like the way the lines lead you into the middle, I think this effect can be very pleasing to the eye.

I really dont think my camera will be out this month, I am in the depths of a loft conversion and all my time is spent on that!

Back