Monthly Minnnt's ETC project - August - Fisheye

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so, having decided that this project will benefit me more than doing the 52, i have decided to give this one a go ASWELL as my 52... :help:

First up, i decided to copy Brian and go with 'The Joiner Effect' style of processing. Immediately went to YouTube as i had never even heard of it until reading Kelly's opening thread for this years competition. (tbh, all of the things on January's list i had never heard of... :whistle: )

So, here is my take on the effect...

The Joiner Effect
by David Raynham, on Flickr

And just for comparison, here is the original.

Original

Let me know your thoughts and how i could improve my technique.

Looking forward to trying the next challenge on the list.!

Cheers.

Ok, so, having decided that this project will benefit me more than doing the 52, i have decided to give this one a go ASWELL as my 52... :help:.

I did both last year :arghh: If you need anyone to talk too throughout the year my details can be found here Helpy linky

Good start. Well composed and processed. My only crit would be the subject matter. I feel people, buildings, places work better. None the less theme one posted :clap:

Cheers.

Hey Andy, thanks for the comment. I'll be sure to give your thread a look over. TBH, this has been a fun one to do... and i learned alot of new techniques in PS. And it was the first outing for my new Fuji compact. (y)

Seeing how this comp is set up, i guess i could do the same again with a person and a building. :D

I like the result, works well with the vibrant colours. I'm hoping to kick-start my project this weekend, not chosen the theme yet though.

These look nice, did you just take one photo and then apply a joiner effect to it or take x number of photos and join them together?

When I googled I saw the 2 different methods

I need to get mine started :)

I prefer the camera one.

You seem to have mis aligned the right side of the lens though, unless that was intentional.

These look nice, did you just take one photo and then apply a joiner effect to it or take x number of photos and join them together?

When I googled I saw the 2 different methods

I need to get mine started :)

Hi Lee. This was one shot. I want to try the other method you mention when i get chance so i can make a proper collage of pics. I followed Gavin Hoey's tutorial on YouTube but this time i did it from memory and i think i did everything he mentioned...
Really like the second one mate. Great how you have created shadows around the top. Ive no idea how you do that.

:clap:

Hi Alan. Thanks for your kind words. Really appreciate them. The shadow you mention is actually a drop shadow and is a layer fx which is then applied to each layer (each square is a layer) to give a 3d effect.

I prefer the camera one.

You seem to have mis aligned the right side of the lens though, unless that was intentional.

Hi Mark, yes i agree it does look weird... but after lowering the opacity of the background layer, the original started to come through which kind of saves it imo, although if just glancing it does look strange. Thanks for your feedback though, really appreciate any comments i get and will take it on board for next time i try this technique. :)

Thanks y'all!

Right, The Harris Shutter Effect... :eek: IT HURTS MY EEEEEEEEEEYEEEEEEEEEES!!!!! :hungover:

Maybe i need something better to put things on other than the table that has lots of lines in it. :D

Here is what i come up with... Nothing special and they're not the same distance apart in all three photo's, but it's ok i guess. I like the way the white soles on the shoes have contrasted well with each channel.

The Harris Shutter Effect

Hi, second Joiner works well and looks good, just the RH sure, looks like the carry strap is over sort if the lens. Nice camera BTW.

Harris.....looks spooky, like they are hovering.

Duo tone, I didn't do this theme as I didn't get it :thinking: On theme and nice location.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Duotone is a new one on me and i'm not sure if it's my cup of tea but at least i can say i have had a go. A little wierd and i just thought i'd try it on a pic i took at the weekend. I suppose the processing could work for some images... Maybe. :D

Next subject, zoom burst... :)

Here we go, image number 6 for me for January. :D

6 photo's covering 5 of the listed topics... would have loved to have done all 6 but i don't think i can do 'High Speed' without a flashlight? Definately on the to get list.

Here is my effort at multiplicity. Was an excellent technique to use, pretty fun and really easy to do!

Multiplicity

Joiner effect on the camera is a cracker, works really well - especially as its off a single image, rather than a number of shots.

great subject for the zoom burst with the board with all its lines going in to the centre.

And multiplicity works well too, made it easy for yourself by not having any overlapping bits to deal with. I think a bit of interaction between the three of you would really take this up a notch.

Yes I agree. I'm goig to give this another shot, maybe on a play are or something. I am a big kid afterall. :D

YouTube is the bees knees for everythig and is my go to source for anything I need to learn about.

I like this David, I did a multiplicity of my son, but I am not a fan of putting up pictures of him, so it stays offline :)

Am I right in thinking that a multiplicity has to involve a person? I would have preferred to try one without anybody to be honest but I cant think what to do, maybe a lego man?

And multiplicity works well too, made it easy for yourself by not having any overlapping bits to deal with. I think a bit of interaction between the three of you would really take this up a notch.

Yup, I'd agree. It's a well processed photograph and good base from you to work from.

Different clothing, a bit of interaction, and different place.

Have a look at Southdowns Multiplicity from last year to see what I mean.

Well, it's nearly February ;)

Cheers.

Hi David.

I like your joiner shots a lot; it's not a technique I like much, but yours, especially the first one, are amongst the best I've seen.

Harris shutter, yes it works, but what colour were the shoes? The effect would have worked better IMHO if they'd been on, say walking feet, so the effect emphasised the movement. As it is, I think the fact that the shoes must be a distinct colour has unbalanced the photo, because you get different amounts of shoe in each. White subjects work well I think because they contain equal amounts of each channel.

Duotone is great, but to me works best cropped to an almost panoramic ratio just below the fence, losing the bottom 50%. Somehow the foreground doesn't do what it should for me, maybe because of the white lines going the "wrong" way?

Zoom burst is great; nothing to crit!

Multiplicity could perhaps have a a more interesting concept? You've executed it well apart from a slight glitch on the bottom rail of the stairs between the left and centre subjects (you must have moved the camera just a touch), but haven't really pushed the envelope conceptually. Sorry that sounds really pretentious, like a 1980's music critic, but I couldn't think how else to express it!!!

Great first month :)

Last edited:
Hi Mark. Nice to have some feedback and traffic on the ETC threads. :)

Great crit, really appreciate you taking the time to look through my pics.

• I'm glad you think my joiner shots are ok, i liked the first one too, but not many others did. Lol.
  • The Harris shutter effect was done with grey shoes that had a white sole. I see your point and i too am not too keen on it. It was just a shot i did to try the processing effect.
  • I will look into cropping the duo tone shot. (y)
  • Glad you like the zoom burst. A very simple shot, but the board pattern made it a good candidate to try it out on.
  • I agree. Again, was a shot done on the spare of the moment to try the effect. In all honesty, i didn't even notice the mis-alignment on the stairs. :LOL: Shows how much attention i pay to things... :oops: :$ I will endevour to try a better shot soon. I like the idea of doing it on a play area, maybe with a couple of people too. I agree with others that interaction would be a nice touch too.
I believe i have already learnt so much, but learning to take more time and think more about the overall shot is definitely something i need to improve on. I hope to make February a better month.

Thanks again for your post, it's been really helpful! :)

David.

Am I right in thinking that a multiplicity has to involve a person? I would have preferred to try one without anybody to be honest but I cant think what to do, maybe a lego man?

Multiplicity is just that... multiple shots of one thing merged together.

A Lego Man would be a good call, especially if you can create a cool scene for him to be multiplied in!

I have to say that while technically minnnt is right, I disagree that creatively that's what a multiplicity is :). The point is that it should create an image that makes you take a double look; something that strikes you as impossible or at least unlikely in real life. People work well because although they could be identical octuplets or whatever, it's very unlikely. The problem with Lego men or other inanimate objects is that you could have just bought several of the same figure, so you end up using the technique to make a picture that could easily have been made in a single shot! There's nothing surprising or intriguing about it.

IMHO, of course :)

Mark, I can see exactly where you are coming from on this, I just didnt have someone that I could do it with, and I dont like myself in photos :)

That's OK. There must be other options though that give the same element of intrigue; anything that you wouldn't easily expect to see multiples of in one place? A cat?

Back