Mirrorless help appreciated.

I'm still considering the xt20, but I've been looking at the xt2 also, and I keep scouring eBay. Thanks again for all of this information and help. I did see a a6000 for 320 with lens, but I just don't like the Sony menu system and lack of touch screen.

Why do you need a menu to continuously dive into? Good luck getting an xt2 and lens for 320 that's more like a6400 money which takes it to another level.

To me, the clear advantage is being able to see the main camera settings on the top of the camera and lens without having to even have the camera switched on. With blank dials you can only see the settings on the screen or evf, but each to their own, we'll all buy which system suits us best.

What use are the settings when the camera is off?

Why do you need a menu to continuously dive into? Good luck getting an xt2 and lens for 320 that's more like a6400 money which takes it to another level.

I'd rather have an XT2, battery grip + lens than an A6400 without either. And that can be done for about the same money.

Why do you need a touchscreen?

I've never ever used mine on the EM5MK2

Some people just like them, I love mine, I use it all the time. I often wonder why people need insane burst speeds or Face detect because I never make use of them

I don't like the layout of Sony menu systems, and as a complete novice, I'd like my first decent camera to be a little less convoluted. Also, I said I had about £800 for a camera. I never said I'd get a Fuji that cheap.

Last edited:
Why do you need a touchscreen?
To make menu guidance easier, and the touch to focus instead of the joystick. Plus, the way technology is going, like phones, I think all cameras will soon have this function. They will still have physical buttons and dials, but I just see it's the way things are going. A touch screen isn't a must, and the camera I buy will do me a good 2/3 years, even if it doesn't have a touchscreen, but by then I'm sure most cameras will have this implemented as standard.

I'd rather have an XT2
I joined MPB and they have some great prices on cameras and lenses. Plus I can trade my old Sony in, even if I don't get very much for it, and it's a little too bulky for my daughter to start on. Better than eBay for the most part. I think this is where I will purchase my camera, unless a great deal comes up somewhere else. But that site is quality!

Last edited:
I don't like the layout of Sony menu systems, and as a complete novice, I'd like my first decent camera to be a little less convoluted. Also, I said I had about £800 for a camera. I never said I'd get a Fuji that cheap.

I'll probably never understand all this angst about menus.

Surely having extensive menus is a good thing as it gives you a more customisable camera and if you want to customise everything the options are there to be set but if all you want is a bog basic camera you can set your camera up to be just that...

Aperture set by a dial? Check!
Shutter speed set by a dial? Check!
Exposure priority set by a dial? Check!
Is there a focus point? Yes! Can I move it? Yes!
Can I set the ISO? Yes!
Right.... I'm good to go!

Anyway.

What I do when I get a new camera is go through the menu and program the various custom buttons and dials to do what I want and these days there's usually a custom menu too into which you can stuff your most used things. After initially setting the camera I'll probably change my mind about a few things over the coming weeks and fiddle with this and that but after a period of time and getting used to things I usually find that everything settles down and I then usually only find myself only diving into the menu now and again to do things like format the card and set the clock. I honestly can't think of anything else I use the menu for regularly as it's all done via a button, a dial or via the custom menu which is stuffed with the options I use most.

To be clear, I'm not pushing a make or model here. All I'm saying is that I think people make waaay too much fuss over menus, IMO. You'd think people had to dive into the menu to find and set some obscure thing every time they wanted to take a shot but in my experience this just isn't the case and I honestly don't understand all this menu angst I read on forums.

Anyway, over to you... but I do think you shouldn't worry too much about extensive menus. Every gadget has lots of functions these days but you simply don't have to use them all.

Last edited:
I don't like the layout of Sony menu systems, and as a complete novice, I'd like my first decent camera to be a little less convoluted.
I don’t like the plethora of menus either but within a week or so and after following a couple of online guides I have my A73 set up so I don’t need to look at the menus anymore for the majority of situations. They are “convoluted” because there are so many options but most people don’t need the options and therefore don’t need the menus after initial setup. I do admit I was a little worried about the complexity of them all but actually they aren’t that bad and relatively straightforward.

I can get why people don't like certain menu systems, I mean, I've had Tvs that had stupidly laid out configurations. You simply want to adjust the colour or contrast and they make you jump through hoops!

Anyway, over to you
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess I need to take more time in knowing the ins and outs of the Sony I have, practice more for the month until I buy my new one. I also think because my a350 is an older camera it just seems very dated and cumbersome to navigate through. But that is mostly die to my lack of knowledge.

You said you were considering an xt2, see above. Once your camera is setup correctly you will never dive into menus, other than to format the SD.

Last edited:

Who said anything about new? You'd be crazy to buy a brand new XT2 now. You can get the XT2 with the battery grip and one of the cheaper lenses like the 27mm 2.8 pancake [cracking little lens for the money btw, my first Fuji lens] for about that money. Check Wex - used XT2 [-9 con]: £589, MPB - 27mm 2.8 pancake lens [exc con] - £209, and if you can't find the grip for less than £100 you're not looking in the right places.

XT2 + Battery grip + 3 extra batteries + 18-55 2.8-4 sold just last week on a local site here for €1050, that's just over £900

Last edited:
Who said anything about new? You'd be crazy to buy a brand new XT2 now. You can get the XT2 with the battery grip and one of the cheaper lenses like the 27mm 2.8 pancake [cracking little lens for the money btw, my first Fuji lens] for about that money. Check Wex - used XT2 [-9 con]: £589, MPB - 27mm 2.8 pancake lens [exc con] - £209, and if you can't find the grip for less than £100 you're not looking in the right places.

XT2 + Battery grip + 3 extra batteries + 18-55 2.8-4 sold just last week on a local site here for €1050, that's just over £900
So you're comparing a newly released camera to a used generation old camera. Ok.

So you're comparing a newly released camera to a used generation old camera. Ok.

I didn't compare, you did, I said what I'd rather have. And I would ... you can't argue with what I'd prefer

I didn't compare, you did, I said what I'd rather have. And I would ... you can't argue with what I'd prefer

Fair enough but comparing last gen used to brand new release in terms of vfm/budget makes no sense. It's not apples.

Weren't you considering a move to Sony?

Last edited:
Fair enough but comparing last gen used to brand new release in terms of vfm/budget makes no sense. It's not apples.

Weren't you considering a move to Sony?

I'm ever considering moves :D And yes, but to FF. For APSC I'd prefer Fuji, I'm more familiar with the system, used it for a couple of years prior to M43/ I don't see anything bad about the A6400, but on the Sony side I'd prefer giving the FF a try out. Just don't have the funds to get the lenses I'd want tbh

I'm ever considering moves :D And yes, but to FF. For APSC I'd prefer Fuji, I'm more familiar with the system, used it for a couple of years prior to M43/ I don't see anything bad about the A6400, but on the Sony side I'd prefer giving the FF a try out. Just don't have the funds to get the lenses I'd want tbh

Yeah, with Sony FF is fairly good vfm. Lenses are pricey but 3rd party is cheap. I like Fuji but I wish they'd drop xtrans and add FF.

Yeah, with Sony FF is fairly good vfm. Lenses are pricey but 3rd party is cheap. I like Fuji but I wish they'd drop xtrans and add FF.

I'm wary of that too, I do have other processing software outside of LR if needed, but when I used Fuji I didn't experience much of the well known issues, I don't really sharpen a tonne though.

On the Sony FF side it was the A7RII I was after, give me a 35mm and 85mm prime and I'm mostly good to go, would use vintage lenses besides for a bit while I save for a macro and tele

I'm wary of that too, I do have other processing software outside of LR if needed, but when I used Fuji I didn't experience much of the well known issues, I don't really sharpen a tonne though.

On the Sony FF side it was the A7RII I was after, give me a 35mm and 85mm prime and I'm mostly good to go, would use vintage lenses besides for a bit while I save for a macro and tele

I don't really sharpen at all but the iso characteristic combined with raw processing really began to bug me. Lovely handling, brilliant primes, fairly decent pricing though.

The a7rii is amazing, the AF wasn't quite there for me but nearly... I'm very demanding of AF though. IQ it's pretty much impossible to beat for 900 odd quid. Same with lenses, the sigma 35 is my favourite lens and the fe85 1.8 is much better than the canikon versions.

I had the Sigma 35 1.4 for Nikon a few years back, and it was a fine lens, used it about 90% of the time my last year or so with FF

I would get a used Sony A6500 and 2 lenses, 18-135 and maybe 50m OSS f1.8

The A6500 is pretty good at almost everything and Sony's eye detect is just bloody amazing. The new firmware update has added time lapse and animal eye detect.
Your A350 is A mount so buy the Sony A to E mount adapter and you can use your current lenses.

Your A350 is A mount so buy the Sony A to E mount adapter and you can use your current lenses.
That does sound really good, and the a6500 seems like a quality upgrade. My a350 only had the kit lens and I'm currently trying to sell it. I'm totally new to taking photos that aren't via mobile, and I know the a350 is fine for learning, but I'd much prefer something a lot more modern.

I vote M50! Love it!

M50 is a good camera and I was surprised how small it is. If you already have canon / EF mount glass then M50 is a good choice.

That does sound really good, and the a6500 seems like a quality upgrade. My a350 only had the kit lens and I'm currently trying to sell it. I'm totally new to taking photos that aren't via mobile, and I know the a350 is fine for learning, but I'd much prefer something a lot more modern.

Sony is very good brand and have come a long way from A350 camera. Sony's eye detect at the moment is shocking good and there is now a good selection of used lenses coming on to the market.
TBH, Nikon, Sony, fujiflim, Canon are all very good systems and you will do well with any one of the 4.

Back