Mobile Phone photography

In what way?

You seriously think that pros resent phone cameras because they take photos as good as the ones they can take with there expensive cameras? @Phil V has explained, on more than one occasion, about control of DoF, shooting in low light, the physical limitations of a tiny sensor/lens etc and you still think that phone cameras can compete?

You seriously think that pros resent phone cameras because they take photos as good as the ones they can take with there expensive cameras? @Phil V has explained, on more than one occasion, about control of DoF, shooting in low light, the physical limitations of a tiny sensor/lens etc and you still think that phone cameras can compete?

But some do! They hate the fact that someone with a Mobile phone camera has such a cheap device that can take superb pictures! Its a sort of a snobbish hate.

I am not saying they 'compete' side by side! I am saying that for what they are, they can produce some stunning shots as has been linked in this very thread.

Mobile phone cameras are going to get better and better. Phil had better watch out as he is in danger of losing customers!! lol :ROFLMAO:

But some do! They hate the fact that someone with a Mobile phone camera has such a cheap device that can take superb pictures! Its a sort of a snobbish hate.

No, that's just your perception (and assumption). Pros spend thousands on kit because it produces what they need on a consistent basis in situations and requirements as I outlined above (low light, depth of Field etc).

No, that's just your perception (and assumption). Pros spend thousands on kit because it produces what they need on a consistent basis in situations and requirements as I outlined above (low light, depth of Field etc).

Then why do many pros actually state that Mobile Phone Cameras are useless or not Versatile etc etc? Thery just dont give the technology any room. This is a snobbish hate.

Plus, you can take some decent pics in low light with them and depth of Field can be tweaked via software! Obviously not anywhere near as good as a DSLR in the right hands.

Just like many pros use software to improve a shot or to add something to it or correct something in it!

Last edited:
This is where i disagree as there are plenty of people, including some pros who have demonstrated how versatile the mobile phone camera can be! It can, in some cases, be more versatile that a 'proper' camera! Just think of the ease in which it can be used, the not needing to carry an assortment of lenses for different situations etc etc.

I am not saying it will overtake the DSLR. But, who knows what technology will bring to the Mobile phone camera several years down the line! Software is enabling the mobile to go where it shouldn't ought to go!

Plus other interesting inventions:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ographers-compete-with-the-professionals.html

The way i see it, some pro togs just completely hate mobile Phone cameras as they can see how much they are encroaching on the 'real' camera world! They hate the fact that these little devices can take some decent photos where they have had to spend thousands to do the same.

Some people just have to face the fact that as tiny cameras, the mobile phone is an awesome little camera to have in your pocket!
Yup that didn't take long to get back there again. Oh dear oh dear.

This is where i disagree as there are plenty of people, including some pros who have demonstrated how versatile the mobile phone camera can be! It can, in some cases, be more versatile that a 'proper' camera! Just think of the ease in which it can be used, the not needing to carry an assortment of lenses for different situations etc etc.
Then we disagree on the meaning of versatile, I'm sticking with the dictionary definition (below). And as a camera with a fixed lens and massive depth of field it's nowhere near the dictionary definition of versatile. For a camera to be versatile it needs to be capable of shooting with different focal length lenses or in varying lighting conditions at the very least.
capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor,etc.:
a versatile writer.

The way i see it, some pro togs just completely hate mobile Phone cameras as they can see how much they are encroaching on the 'real' camera world! They hate the fact that these little devices can take some decent photos where they have had to spend thousands to do the same.

Some people just have to face the fact that as tiny cameras, the mobile phone is an awesome little camera to have in your pocket!

And you have decided I'm one of them:ROFLMAO:. Which is hilarious, as I previously pointed you at a 2 year old blog post of mine full of iPhone photos. And a full list of Pro's and cons above, which you invited a discussion on yet never replied to. :thinking:

You're the one with the blinkered view, you're failing to see that some of us can look at a phone cam and say 'it's OK but it's not for me' with a full (arguably better than yours) understanding of what is meant by that statement.

Since having an iPhone 6+ I have been very impressed with it. Prior to that I didn't really look to use a phone for anything photography related. I never really gelled with the idea.
No it won't replace the cameras I use but I've gotten some really nice results with it.
There are some good free and paid apps out there too which are capable of bringing more to your shot in terms of general tweaks. You can certainly use it to your advantage.

I've seen some great work which was shot on the iPhone. Some which has greatly surprised me.

I am not saying they 'compete' side by side! I am saying that for what they are, they can produce some stunning shots as has been linked in this very thread.

Mobile phone cameras are going to get better and better. Phil had better watch out as he is in danger of losing customers!! lol :ROFLMAO:

That's like saying that Lewis Hamilton is getting nervous because the new Civic Type R has come out!!

It's not side by side as fast as the car he drives but it has done a quick lap of the nurburgring and the next one will only be faster/better so he'd better watch out.

Pro's choose the level of gear that they need (whether that be a homemade pinhole or the latest hasselblad), they certainly aren't worried about the quality of cameraphones or how available they are to the masses as it's just not relevant.

Then we disagree on the meaning of versatile, I'm sticking with the dictionary definition (below). And as a camera with a fixed lens and massive depth of field it's nowhere near the dictionary definition of versatile. For a camera to be versatile it needs to be capable of shooting with different focal length lenses or in varying lighting conditions at the very least.
capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor,etc.:
a versatile writer.

And you have decided I'm one of them:ROFLMAO:. Which is hilarious, as I previously pointed you at a 2 year old blog post of mine full of iPhone photos. And a full list of Pro's and cons above, which you invited a discussion on yet never replied to. :thinking:

You're the one with the blinkered view, you're failing to see that some of us can look at a phone cam and say 'it's OK but it's not for me' with a full (arguably better than yours) understanding of what is meant by that statement.

You state that Phone cameras are not versatile!! How odd. I think many people in the world will tell you they are very versatile. For a pro tog they probably are not versatile for the work they do but for a general 'photographer' they can be very versatile. The blog was 2 yrs ago. I guess Mobile Camera technology has stood still since then? :rolleyes: What you type now seems to go say you are definitely a mobile phone camera hater!

Me blinkered! lol. I use a DSLR as well as my mobile. I love both. Open to both technologies and uses.

I know some will look at a cam shot and say ok its ok but not for me. But you on the hand pal dont see anything good in a camera on a phone! You have shot the argument down at every opportunity! Try to be more open minded about the subject. Ok, you cant use one in your line of work, thats fine. Doesn't mean that everyone has to own a DSLR to take decent shots!

Last edited:
Since having an iPhone 6+ I have been very impressed with it. Prior to that I didn't really look to use a phone for anything photography related. I never really gelled with the idea.
No it won't replace the cameras I use but I've gotten some really nice results with it.
There are some good free and paid apps out there too which are capable of bringing more to your shot in terms of general tweaks. You can certainly use it to your advantage.

I've seen some great work which was shot on the iPhone. Some which has greatly surprised me.

I agree. I have seen this too. But others like my pal phil dismiss this outright!

That's like saying that Lewis Hamilton is getting nervous because the new Civic Type R has come out!!

It's not side by side as fast as the car he drives but it has done a quick lap of the nurburgring and the next one will only be faster/better so he'd better watch out.

Pro's choose the level of gear that they need (whether that be a homemade pinhole or the latest hasselblad), they certainly aren't worried about the quality of cameraphones or how available they are to the masses as it's just not relevant.

I know, and i am not saying that.

how is a camera where you can't change any of the most important setting versatile?

Versatile can mean more than one thing!

Plus, some settings can be changed on a mobile camera. It all depends how you rate which ones are important or not for your style of photography

Plus, some settings can be changed on a mobile camera. It all depends how you rate which ones are important or not for your style of photography
Or the conditions.

Could you please point me in the direction of an article where someone states "They hate the fact that someone with a Mobile phone camera has such a cheap device that can take superb pictures!" otherwise your assertions look like some kind of inverted snobbishness hate. You seem to of decided what other people think, tried them for it, found them guilty and pronounced judgement.

Any pro on here think about mobiles the way Raincloud thinks you do?

By the way, I think cheap is £20 for a secondhand Canon Powershot 1400 not hundreds or even a hundred for a mobile phone!.

well yeah if I think that random filters are the most important then camera phones are right up there, but I think we can all objectively agree that Phill has already laid out the most important settings that affect an image regardless of your style.

Edit to quote

The 'tools' we use to do this are viewpoint*, composition**, light***.

*if we include focal length here
**if we include depth of field here
***if we include adding our own lighting tools here

It's how those tools are combined that create the style but physics defines what can actually be adjusted in terms of capturing the image (in the case of a phone camera these can't be adjusted......)

Last edited:
I've got a Lumia as well. Supposedly the best one available on sale today. Yup it has a great pixel count, yup it can take a decent looking picture under the right conditions. And when looking at the pictures on the phone they look amazing. However ....

Cant see the screen well enough in sun light. When viewed off the screen it is actually not that good. I don't seem to do actually anything with the pictures captured. Zoom is still digital, and often don't find it wide enough.

I'm not a big fan.

I would love to see a mobile phone versus a dSLR contest.

Naughty naughty OP did not want it to go that way :rolleyes: But there again, I know where I would bet my money.

Guys, gals.............Obviously the other thread has gone way off topic (Wedding costs) so i thought i would start this thread about mobile phone photography.

Its not meant as a thread where people can brag how much superior their DSLR is, even though we know they are superior. I just want to discuss this topic as for me, since recently owning a Lumia Mobile i am very much pleased with the shots that i have been able to take with it. I took it on holiday with me 2 weeks ago with my 550D in tow and i used the mobile 90% of the time. I am very impressed with the quality that came from it....

You state that Phone cameras are not versatile!! How odd. I think many people in the world will tell you they are very versatile. For a pro tog they probably are not versatile for the work they do but for a general 'photographer' they can be very versatile. The blog was 2 yrs ago. What you type now seems to go say you are definitely a mobile phone camera hater!
And I said that I hate phone cameras Where?

You're clinging to assumptions rather than grasping the truth.

I use my camera phone much more often than my DSLR, and it's because I use it so much (and the fact I can think) that I'm aware of its limitations. It's not just about 'pro togs', mobile phones cameras are all the camera most people need (not the first time I've written that for you).

But for a 'photographer' they're inadequate as they don't allow for the control required. Working with their constraints can be fun (like using a pinhole camera, or Lomo, or a disposable), but working round equipment imposed limitations isn't what most 'photographers' choose to do, we take our challenges from our subjects, and use our equipment as tools to overcome those challenges.

The other question is will mobile phones last? Five years time we could all be wearing mobile phone watches!

I agree. I have seen this too. But others like my pal phil dismiss this outright!
Your pal Phil sounds like a right nob! :D

Whilst I know I'm not your pal, It's obvious you're not referring to me because nowhere have I said it's impossible to get a decent picture with a mobile phone:). You really want to believe I think that, because it's simple for you to argue with, whereas you refuse to engage regarding the technical limitations I keep writing about, which really do appear to be beyond your comprehension.

The amount of filters and the likes of Instagram helps with the popularity of the mobile phone as a camera as does our need for instant gratification. It is possible to take a snap of your dinner apply a filter and upload it to social media in a matter of seconds.

The biggest advantage I can see with mobile phone photography is that people nearly always have a phone on them.

Horses for courses but as this is a photography forum there is a possibility that most of the members would be looking at dslr, mirrorless, csc, etc rather than a mobile phone for their photographic needs.
This seems to sum it up nicely.

Absolutely I'm in agreement with you on that.

Where I would differ is that a lack of versatility precludes a camera from being a proper picture making tool. A Rolleiflex 3.5E is very limited in comparison to most SLR system cameras, but enough serious photographers made very effective use of them over the years. It's hard to argue it's not a proper picture making tool.

But I've never said lack of versatility precludes it from being a proper picture making tool. There's nothing in what you've said that is contrary to anything I've said. However it's contrary to what Raincloud keeps suggesting I've said.

It's spreading...

haha since the last android update I've got more chance of getting calls on my camera to be honest :)
You could join @Raincloud and myself as the third windows phone user in the UK :) although he has the Microsoft Branded and I've got the Nokia version. Both are Lumia.

The controls are really nice actually. For example I've got a dedicated camera button, and the Nokia Lumia Camera app is one of the best I've used across ios, bb10 and android. Full manual control is brilliantly simplistic.

If only my sensor and lens were as good to do it justice.

You could join @Raincloud and myself as the third windows phone user in the UK :) although he has the Microsoft Branded and I've got the Nokia version. Both are Lumia.

The controls are really nice actually. For example I've got a dedicated camera button, and the Nokia Lumia Camera app is one of the best I've used across ios, bb10 and android. Full manual control is brilliantly simplistic.

If only my sensor and lens were as good to do it justice.

Can I lay claim to third windows phone user with my 630, not sure how good the camera is since I can rarely see the damn screen anyway, but the phone is bright yellow which makes me happy!

I can be just like my DOF sometimes, very shallow!

I have had two Nikon Dslrs, and loads of compact cameras with varying sensor sizes. Then I got an iphone and I thought the image quality was good, until I viewed them on the TV or had them printed out. The quality just is not there on a phone, but they are good for a phone. I only take photos for my own self interest, and the images from the phone just don't do it for me. If I am out shopping, I will take a snap with the phone to show the item to someone. Or if I see suspicious activity, again I will use the phone camera. Good for snapping odds and sods, no good for special memories.

Can I lay claim to third windows phone user with my 630, not sure how good the camera is since I can rarely see the damn screen anyway, but the phone is bright yellow which makes me happy!

I can be just like my DOF sometimes, very shallow!
Brilliant. Yup I got my 930 because it is orange. Albeit it is a much brighter orange than expected. Its much more in your face than my normal camera is for street. Heck I'm more incognito with my Mamiya medium format system then with my phone.

Guys, gals.............Obviously the other thread has gone way off topic (Wedding costs) so i thought i would start this thread about mobile phone photography.

Its not meant as a thread where people can brag how much superior their DSLR is, even though we know they are superior. I just want to discuss this topic as for me, since recently owning a Lumia Mobile i am very much pleased with the shots that i have been able to take with it. I took it on holiday with me 2 weeks ago with my 550D in tow and i used the mobile 90% of the time. I am very impressed with the quality that came from it.

Ok, at this present time in history it is not going to beat a DSLR in the Pro tog world, even though there are some that are using them a lot more.

If you use a Mob phone camera now and again what do you think of them in general? ....

Seems most prefer the image quality of a camera with a reasonable sized sensor, and a few are quite happy with images a small sized sensor a phone produces. So in general what do I think, of a mobile phone as a camera? Well it's better than my mental images :) .. but only just..

Me and the missus went to buy an anniversary ring the other day. We took a photo of us holding the ring with my iPhone, and we were going to post it on our Facebook wall so our friends and family could see the ring. While it looked an OK photo, it did look rather wishy washy, and mushy. I waited till we got home, and I took another photo with my Fuji X10. There was no comparison with the images, the image from the X10 is the one that went on our Facebook

My phone just could not show off my missus lovely hands, nail varnish and more importantly the anniversary ring.

X10 captured the lovely skin tones on her hands, nail varnish was a lovely vibrant colour. Most importantly, the ring looked great.

In short, images from my iPhone look flat and artificial. Images from X10 looked alive and real, with good blurred background.

I would only use photos from phone, as a reference point. Photos from camera for something more meaningful, and special.
congratulations John on your engagement

I think the OP is getting confused betweens the software and hardware elements of a mobile phone camera.

- The software (ie all of the different photo-manipulation apps) IS very versatile, in that they allow you to manipulate a photograph in many different ways.

- The hardware (sensor, lens etc) of a mobile phone is not built for versatile use in varying conditions and is nowhere near good enough for pro use for the plethora of reasons mentioned in this and the previous thread (and likely won't be anywhere near good enough until we've all turned to dust).

Your pal Phil sounds like a right nob! :D

Whilst I know I'm not your pal, It's obvious you're not referring to me because nowhere have I said it's impossible to get a decent picture with a mobile phone:). You really want to believe I think that, because it's simple for you to argue with, whereas you refuse to engage regarding the technical limitations I keep writing about, which really do appear to be beyond your comprehension.

Thats you pal!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Read your threads. You will see for yourself.

I did state in earlier posts that i know that a mobile phone will never match a DSLR. Said that a few times. I am not arguing that a Mobile is on a par with a DSLR!

But I've never said lack of versatility precludes it from being a proper picture making tool. There's nothing in what you've said that is contrary to anything I've said. However it's contrary to what Raincloud keeps suggesting I've said.

It's spreading...

my point is that it's not versatile enough to be a proper picture making tool.

What 'did' you mean then? You are contradicting yourself!!

Last edited:
Seems most prefer the image quality of a camera with a reasonable sized sensor, and a few are quite happy with images a small sized sensor a phone produces. So in general what do I think, of a mobile phone as a camera? Well it's better than my mental images :) .. but only just..

With the amount of people now using mobile phone cameras i think someone need to tell them how crap their pictures are then?

I think the OP is getting confused betweens the software and hardware elements of a mobile phone camera.

- The software (ie all of the different photo-manipulation apps) IS very versatile, in that they allow you to manipulate a photograph in many different ways.

- The hardware (sensor, lens etc) of a mobile phone is not built for versatile use in varying conditions and is nowhere near good enough for pro use for the plethora of reasons mentioned in this and the previous thread (and likely won't be anywhere near good enough until we've all turned to dust).

No, not confused. Just pointing out that with software the mobile phone can produce very worthy pictures! It wont replace the DSLR obviously.

Just shoot it on a mobile phone, that will save some money :devil:

I would do, but the phone keeps falling off my tripod. Plus it's annoying when I am trying to photograph something with my phone, somebody always rings me, or a text comes through. The camera shuts down and and the call comes through instead. Missed many a great photo like that. Once took ages composing the shot and getting everything in frame, I set the timer to take the shot and the phone rang. I had only just got it all propped up perfectly then I had to pick the phone up, ruined my shot it did !

Back