Mobile Phone photography

Thats you pal!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Read your threads. You will see for yourself.
You'll have to quote where I said it, it's no good just saying I did. In fact I've said the opposite many times...

It's obvious you can create great pictures with a phone (I didn't need your link, I wrote my own blogpost a few years ago). But that only works in the conditions a phone allows, and when the image you want is within the capabilities of the phone.

Mobiles though. In the right conditions a mobile can create acceptable images...

It should be obvious, but:
Pro's
Always available
Decent enough resolution for most people, most of the time.
Easily shares with social media
With the right app I can easily change where I'm metering from, it's easier to get a shot first time in tricky lighting on my phone than any other camera I've owned.
Keeping a lens in my pocket without protection, then having fingerprints constantly smearing it looks cool, and is half the reason for the fashion of sun in the frame glare nowadays.

We agree that it's a useful tool to have for what it does, .. :)

So: Your imaginary pal Phil then;)

To remind you of a previous thread...

Taxi!!:D

With the amount of people now using mobile phone cameras i think someone need to tell them how crap their pictures are then?

No the photos from a phone are not crap, they are good for a quick snap of odds and sods. They just can't capture the hair strands and the details, and skin tones etc etc of a person for example. I will use a phone for quick grabs, but has to be my Fuji X10 for photos that are important to me. I have done photos of close family with the phone, and when I view the photos there is no heart felt feeling there. But when I view images of family taken with the Fuji X10, the images look real and alive. A bit like being there.

So I have tried using a phone as my sole camera, but I have warmed to images from my cameras only.

Seriously though people, i am not saying that a Phone Camera is equal to a DSLR. All i am stating is that it is a very good photographic device. Millions use the device. It is so versatile! Check out the link above where new technology in the not too distant future is going to improve it even more.

As i said, i use a DSLR and a Lumia and i love them both! I like what they produce. I am not a snob like some who argue that a mobile cannot produce a decent image.

You'll have to quote where I said it, it's no good just saying I did. In fact I've said the opposite many times...

So: Your imaginary pal Phil then;)

To remind you of a previous thread...

Taxi!!:D

You have stated that the Mobile is not versatile, and not a proper camera. It is has a camera of which is more than versatile to millions. You cant dismiss that!

Last edited:
No the photos from a phone are not crap, they are good for a quick snap of odds and sods. They just can't capture the hair strands and the details, and skin tones etc etc of a person for example. I will use a phone for quick grabs, but has to be my Fuji X10 for photos that are important to me. I have done photos of close family with the phone, and when I view the photos there is no heart felt feeling there. But when I view images of family taken with the Fuji X10, the images look real and alive. A bit like being there.

So I have tried using a phone as my sole camera, but I have warmed to images from my cameras only.

I have taken quite a few pics of my daughter with my Lumia and they have turned out extremely good. Ok, i know i am no pro but i have been using cameras for at least 25 years! Of course, everyone has a view. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion.

Seriously though people, i am not saying that a Phone Camera is equal to a DSLR. All i am stating is that it is a very good photographic device. Millions use the device. It is so versatile! Check out the link above where new technology in the not too distant future is going to improve it even more.

As i said, i use a DSLR and a Lumia and i love them both! I like what they produce. I am not a snob like some who argue that a mobile cannot produce a decent image.
So why are you arguing? Not one person has said that a mobile phone can't be useful (though your selective misquoting of my post earlier made it appear so).
In fact if you weren't insisting that so many people disagreed with you, we'd have had a useful discourse. As I said before, I gave you a very comprehensive response to the question you posed.

I have taken quite a few pics of my daughter with my Lumia and they have turned out extremely good. Ok, i know i am no pro but i have been using cameras for at least 25 years! Of course, everyone has a view. Not everyone is going to have the same opinion.
Except largely we do have the same opinion, you are just desperately looking for an argument that doesn't exist.

So why are you arguing? Not one person has said that a mobile phone can't be useful (though your selective misquoting of my post earlier made it appear so).
In fact if you weren't insisting that so many people disagreed with you, we'd have had a useful discourse. As I said before, I gave you a very comprehensive response to the question you posed.

I am not arguing though buddy!

All i have ever stated is that i think the mobile can take stunning shots! You say no because of its physical limitations.

You have stated that the Mobile is not versatile, and not a proper camera. It is has a camera of which is more than versatile to millions. You cant dismiss that!
I said it wasn't versatile because it isn't. I also showed a dictionary definition of versatile which definitely didn't describe a camera phone.
I'm quite real, the only 'imaginary' thing is where you describe me as a 'pal'. I wouldn't have a 'friendly' relationship with anyone who used the word. :D

Except largely we do have the same opinion, you are just desperately looking for an argument that doesn't exist.

No. I am not looking to argue Phil. I am firm in my belief that the mob, the Lumia that i have, takes awesome shots! It can only get better. New tech in the future can only make it get better! I still use my DSLR. Nothing can beat that when i want to tweak the settings. But for outright versatility the mobile wins as i can pull it from my pocket and snap away without any worry about shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. Ok, some of the results might not be 'up-to-standard' but the ease and quickness makes it very versatile. I found this out while on holiday recently.

I am not arguing though buddy!

All i have ever stated is that i think the mobile can take stunning shots! You say no because of its physical limitations.
No I never.

However, now I am getting picky :). Cameras do not take stunning photographs, whether they're mobile phones, or field cameras. No camera ever took a stunning image:naughty:

I said it wasn't versatile because it isn't. I also showed a dictionary definition of versatile which definitely didn't describe a camera phone.
I'm quite real, the only 'imaginary' thing is where you describe me as a 'pal'. I wouldn't have a 'friendly' relationship with anyone who used the word. :D

As it didnt show a DSLR either!!

No. I am not looking to argue Phil. I am firm in my belief that the mob, the Lumia that i have, takes awesome shots! It can only get better. New tech in the future can only make it get better! I still use my DSLR. Nothing can beat that when i want to tweak the settings. But for outright versatility the mobile wins as i can pull it from my pocket and snap away without any worry about shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. Ok, some of the results might not be 'up-to-standard' but the ease and quickness makes it very versatile. I found this out while on holiday recently.
And I've read several posts where people have agreed the technology is good and improving (and written a couple).

However, if you've got a device that takes awesome shots, you should consider hiring it out. :D

No I never.

However, now I am getting picky :). Cameras do not take stunning photographs, whether they're mobile phones, or field cameras. No camera ever took a stunning image:naughty:

That is being pedantic! lol

Blimey, maybe you could get my pal Philv to shoot it for you!!
Why not you yourself? Everytime it comes close to demonstrating what you mean and making people eat humble pie you seem you seem shy away from it.

I actually valued my wedding day, couldn't care less what equipment the photographer uses, but did care about the photographs.

As it didnt show a DSLR either!!
Let's see...
capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor,etc.:
a versatile writer.

Can you easily adapt a DSLR for various tasks?
let's consider, will it shoot:
Macro
Astrophotography
High speed photography
Telephoto
Landscape
Studio
and many others.
So, I'd say an SLR (digital or analogue) is the single most versatile of all camera types. Note I never said it was 'the best', but surely it's versatility makes it better more of the time.

Why not you yourself? Everytime it comes close to demonstrating what you mean and making people eat humble pie you seem you seem shy away from it.

I actually valued my wedding day, couldn't care less what equipment the photographer uses, but did care about the photographs.

My family and friends took my wedding day photos! They all had cameras and then we selected what we liked and then put into a nice album! I am no pro as i have said but we were more than happy with the outcome.

That is being pedantic! lol
That's not pedantry.

I'm a photographer (not a hotshot pro, just a common or garden photographer) and that phrase is beyond stupid.

If you want to know how stupid we could start a poll, there's not a single photographer who wouldn't agree with me.

Let's see...

Can you easily adapt a DSLR for various tasks?
let's consider, will it shoot:
Macro
Astrophotography
High speed photography
Telephoto
Landscape
Studio
and many others.
So, I'd say an SLR (digital or analogue) is the single most versatile of all camera types. Note I never said it was 'the best', but surely it's versatility makes it better more of the time.

But, a mobile will take a lot of different scenarios too. Not all what you have listed obviously! I am not saying a DSLR is not versatile. Just countering that you are saying a mobile is not versatile!

That's not pedantry.

I'm a photographer (not a hotshot pro, just a common or garden photographer) and that phrase is beyond stupid.

If you want to know how stupid we could start a poll, there's not a single photographer who wouldn't agree with me.

But, you have been pedantic just you cant see it because you live on a cloud!

So, you dont do wedding photography then etc mate?

But you asked what others thoughts were, people did answer with their thoughts. Yes a phone camera does have a place, and it is useful. For some it's useful as their main camera, for others only as a quick photo grabber. For me, I want a better quality image taker for my main camera. Ok yes, it is a very good photographic device ( because it is ) and it does have it's place.

I carry both my Compact camera and phone, if I saw someone snatch a woman's handbag I would quickly pull out my phone, and get a photo of the offender. Reason being it's quicker. But if offender was smaller than me, I would give chase give him a thumping. Then take my phone out and call police, then get my camera out and take a good quality image of the offender. So yes, a phone camera is useful in various situations.

Last edited:

Odd isn't it, I've posted a link to my Iphone photo's to prove I understand the capabilities, yet the guy who has taken some stunning photo's with his phone won't show us... :thinking:

Odd isn't it, I've posted a link to my Iphone photo's to prove I understand the capabilities, yet the guy who has taken some stunning photo's with his phone won't show us... :thinking:

Plus, a thread that is 2 years old. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Because they are of my family and i dont want them on the net.

And philv, you are no pro? Is this your website:

http://www.philvaughanphotography.co.uk/

Wouldn't you call that professional photography then?

No phllv stated he wasn't a hot shot pro, how about reading what people write rather than what you appear to want them to have written!

But, a mobile will take a lot of different scenarios too. Not all what you have listed obviously! I am not saying a DSLR is not versatile. Just countering that you are saying a mobile is not versatile!
But it's not versatile, being able to take pictures of lots of different things isn't 'versatile', from a physical point of view, all those images are the same. As I said before, all you're showing is a lack of understanding of the physics.

You shy away from the actual photographic craft side of this though, you won't tell us whether you you can spot fake DoF, whether you understand how DoF works, how a small sensor will never have the low light ability of a bigger sensor, and now I'm adding to that different lenses, filling the frame with an approx 30mm* (35mm SLR equiv) lens looks totally different than stepping back and using a tele lens, that's a lack of versatility (why the other sentence that annoys me is 'zoom with your feet')

And on the subject of stuff you're not discussing. @danny_bhoy deserves a response too.

And philv, you are no pro? Is this your website:

http://www.philvaughanphotography.co.uk/

Wouldn't you call that professional photography then?
How stupid am I, pretending not to be a pro when my website link is in my signature :oops: :$

Oh! hang on... That's not what I said...
No phllv stated he wasn't a hot shot pro, how about reading what people write rather than what you appear to want them to have written!
;)

But it's not versatile, being able to take pictures of lots of different things isn't 'versatile', from a physical point of view, all those images are the same. As I said before, all you're showing is a lack of understanding of the physics.

You shy away from the actual photographic craft side of this though, you won't tell us whether you you can spot fake DoF, whether you understand how DoF works, how a small sensor will never have the low light ability of a bigger sensor, and now I'm adding to that different lenses, filling the frame with an approx 30mm* (35mm SLR equiv) lens looks totally different than stepping back and using a tele lens, that's a lack of versatility (why the other sentence that annoys me is 'zoom with your feet')

And on the subject of stuff you're not discussing. @danny_bhoy deserves a response too.

Philv pal, i know what you are saying. I understand about DoF etc. The mobile is versatile! It depends how 'you' descibe the word. For me, it is versatile as it can be used in many different situations. I have used mine indoors, low light, landscape, portraits etc etc. Fake DoF can be done with software as you know. Photoshop helps many togs to tweak shots in many different ways.

Yes, you can 'zoom with your feet'. You never done that? Surprising what can be achieved with a humble mobile! I always thought they were crap until i got my lumia. Its a great piece of kit! Yes!!!!!!!!! I know it can never live up to a DSLR!!!!!!!! Still, it is a cracking photography tool

Anyway guys, if you hate mobile cameras then dont go near them. For me, i like all aspects of photography. I love my SLR, DSLR, Compact, and Mobile! All good in different ways.

I know that my mate philv could never expect to use a mobile etc on one of his wedding assignments and would agree that it would be VERY limiting! As a general snapping tool i find it very satisfying indeed. I have managed to produce some very acceptable shots which i have put into a photobook. Ok, i am only an amateur with bad eyesight if you listen to some on here but for me and my family they are more than suitable. I am not after pixel perfect shots!

For its many uses, the mobile can capture a stunning array of shots (Obviously with a human at its controls!).

To dismiss the mobile camera as useless or non versatile is frankly prehistoric talk and very narrow minded.

Philv pal, i know what you are saying. I understand about DoF etc. The mobile is versatile! It depends how 'you' descibe the word. For me, it is versatile as it can be used in many different situations. I have used mine indoors, low light, landscape, portraits etc etc. Fake DoF can be done with software as you know. Photoshop helps many togs to tweak shots in many different ways.

Yes, you can 'zoom with your feet'. You never done that? Surprising what can be achieved with a humble mobile! I always thought they were crap until i got my lumia. Its a great piece of kit! Yes!!!!!!!!! I know it can never live up to a DSLR!!!!!!!! Still, it is a cracking photography tool
Nope, they're you've proved your lack of photographic understanding!

You can't zoom with your feet. Try it! Use a wide angle lens and take a simple headshot, then use a short or medium tele and take the headshot with the same framing. They're completely different photographs aren't they.

A camera phone has a slightly wide angle lens, it's great when you need a slightly wide angle lens, useless if you need a UWA, std, tele etc.

!

Now I am starting to understand, if the only photographs your phone has produced are of people it would seem to indicate your repertoire is very limited, perhaps a mobile phone would be a very good choice for candid shots of the family. Maybe if you tried to take a broader section of subjects you might realise the phones limitations

Last edited:
Nope, they're you've proved your lack of photographic understanding!

You can't zoom with your feet. Try it! Use a wide angle lens and take a simple headshot, then use a short or medium tele and take the headshot with the same framing. They're completely different photographs aren't they.

A camera phone has a slightly wide angle lens, it's great when you need a slightly wide angle lens, useless if you need a UWA, std, tele etc.

Yes but it depends what you want and are after pal.

If i zoom with my feet to go close to my daughter it takes a lovely shot! Mobile phone lens is not the same as a DSLR lens! I thought you knew that buddy?

When i use my 550D with a 50mm i 'zoom with my feet'. I do the same with my mobile. The results are very pleasing! Ok, i am no pro like you Obi-Wan Kenobi but for me they suffice!

Last edited:
Now I am starting to understand, if the only photographs your phone has produced are of people it would seem to indicate your repertoire is very limited, perhaps a mobile phone would be a very good choice for candid shots of the family. Maybe if you tried to take a broader section of subjects you might realise the phones limitations

I have taken others but i know for a fact that people just out of childish spite would attack my shots!

Back