More new film on the way

h'mm P30 well under exposed? so that would mean the P30 ISO setting should be 25? OR the other MX's meter is out?

Both meters are fine; with the ISO settings at 80 and 125, and shutter speeds of /1/125 and 1/250, the metered aperture settings were within half a stop. I think ISO 80 is quite optimistic for P30.

Although I use VueScan, I can't answer the question off the top of my head - I'd either have to consult The VueScan Bible or look at the settings. One obvious workaround would be to put a strip of P30 and a strip of FP4 in the film holder and scan either the whole two strips or just on frame from each by selecting a larger scan area than a single frame. That should give the same settings for both "pars" of the one scan.

Although I use VueScan, I can't answer the question off the top of my head - I'd either have to consult The VueScan Bible or look at the settings. One obvious workaround would be to put a strip of P30 and a strip of FP4 in the film holder and scan either the whole two strips or just on frame from each by selecting a larger scan area than a single frame. That should give the same settings for both "pars" of the one scan.

Unfortunately it's a 35mm film scanner, a Plustek. That's more or less what I was trying by putting the two (clear) neg sheets on the A4 scanner. I should probably have taken the negatives out of the sheets, but I thought it would work better.

I think that there's a "lock exposure" tick box somewhere. If so, presumably that would let you do it.

Yes, I spotted the lock exposure box. However, it may not be needed. I've just scanned the two films with no adjustments, the way I normally would. There's no doubt the P30 is way under-exposed. With the right subject it could be beautifully low key, but metered at 80 for a normal subject it just doesn't work. I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

Well, it's been nearly six years since the original Kickstarter campaign, but they haven't given up yet. There were a lot of negative comments from backers on their last update, but it seems they've had a change of plan. Each backer will have a credit applied to their online account, which is equal to their original pledge. It sounds like you can either use this to buy some P30, or wait until they get their slide stuff sorted (which doesn't sound like it will be for a few years)

They've also moved their campaign from Kickstarter to their own website now too, and it doesn't look like you can leave comments. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I wonder if it's really so that they can "communicate directly" as they say, or if it's to stop the never-ending negative comments that seem to smother their updates on Kickstarter.

Either way, I still wish them luck. I've waited 6 years so far, so I'll probably just hold out and see if I can eventually get some slide film!

I too wish them well. I chose to buy a 5-pack of P30 Alpha rather than cash in my rewards, last time. I've reported above that it was a bit... odd. There's an album on my flickr with the comparative FP4 and P30 Alpha images I referred to above, if anyone's interested. I gave one roll away to @thedarkshed who shot it recently; I've seen a couple of results on twitter, but I don't think he's printed any yet. I under-exposed a roll aiming for the FPOTY20 "Dark" challenge; the results were fairly awful, partly because the Alpha film seemed to have some problems with scratches on the base emulsion. The last roll I shot fairly recently, 12 shots at 64, 12 shots at 50 and 12 shots at 40, all processed for box speed. I thought the results came out pretty well (apart from a humungous longitudinal scratch).

I'm not sure yet if I'll wait for slide when the time comes, I'll maybe get 2 or 3 more rolls of P30 (non Alpha!). I don't use much slide at all these days.

They have had a bad press, and they certainly did over-sell the project and under-state the risks:

"The only risk is not reaching our goal.

"Upon success, your risk practically vanishes. Testing is already underway at our mini-factory and we WILL produce one limited-size film batch on the schedule shown above. We have all of the materials we need, and we have given ourselves ample time to get it right. Our team is ready to create the rewards, box them up and ship them to you with efficiency and professionalism.

"We have experience with high-volume Kickstarter campaigns. We are confident that we are ready for just about anything..."

We know only too well that there were many much more significant risks than that.

However, this is definitely not a "fund and run" project. I'm also completely staggered that they have not been forced into bankruptcy, having followed their trials and tribulations from the start. I think they've been acting in good faith, apart from the initial over-sell. But it would certainly be great to get the rewards and see them finally up and running as a fully fledged film producer!

Back