More new film on the way

That's excellent news Nick. Looks like all those Baby flex's and Brownies will be dug out from the attic.

Och ay, its a tartan film the noo.

When you processed Scotchcrome in the olden days the fumes from the chemicals were really bad.If you inhaled enough of them you thought you could hear the sound of bagpipes (experienced it myself) hence the name Scotchchrome. :ROFLMAO:

Also if you wore a kilt you had to be careful of exposure in certain weather condition.

Last edited:
Apparently it's E6, no surprise there!

There's also an extended interview with Dave Bias on the PD Exposures podcast, to quote their own blurb

"this episode is an audio AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dave Bias of Film Ferrania, the Italian film manufacturer who is currently rising from the ashes and restarting production"

It's over an hour long but there's some really great info in it and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling for the future of film :D

http://www.pdexposures.com/category/podcasts/

Good news but in the UK Vista at £1 takes some beating, so it has to be much better. The last time I used Ferrania + it gave a different result to other films even using different lenses (so it wasn't the lens).

Good news but in the UK Vista at £1 takes some beating, so it has to be much better.

TBH Brian. for me it would take very little improvement to be better than Vista

The last time I used Ferrania + it gave a different result to other films even using different lenses (so it wasn't the lens).

I don't understand this comment, Portra is different to Ektar and Fujicolor Pro is different to Fuji Superia, so Ferrania + gave a different result to other films, isn't that the point?

Last edited:
Good news but in the UK Vista at £1 takes some beating, so it has to be much better. The last time I used Ferrania + it gave a different result to other films even using different lenses (so it wasn't the lens).

I'm not really sure what colour negative Vista being £1 has to do at all with Ferrania introducing a transparency film, of which there are currently few options, that is intended for both the cine and still film markets?

TBH Brian. for me it would take very little improvement to be better than Vista

I don't understand this comment, Portra is different to Ektar and Fujicolor Pro is different to Fuji Superia, so Ferrania + gave a different result to other films, isn't that the point?

Well you have to like the difference...the ordinary Ferrania was crap, but the Ferrania plus was much better. Poundland sold the ordinary one once (it might have been Solaris). AAMOI Poundland sold Kodak Ultra max 400 and bought a few rolls.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what colour negative Vista being £1 has to do at all with Ferrania introducing a transparency film, of which there are currently few options, that is intended for both the cine and still film markets?

Well I knew in July 2013 they were going to start film production and assumed there would be a range, so if it's just pos then I don't think I would be interested unless it's exc quality and cheap ;)

http://www.filmferrania.it/

Last edited:
Well I knew in July 2013 they were going to start film production and assumed there would be a range, so if it's just pos then I don't think I would be interested unless it exc quality and cheap ;)

http://www.filmferrania.it/

For now, I believe they're focusing on getting Scotchcrome out to the markets in 135, 120, and a couple of cine formats, although I'm assuming that they will plan to add additional film varieties in the future.

Vista is fine, but many of us don't use 135, so I'm all for the introduction of more 120/220 options.

The Ferrania FG plus 200 gave these results which can be warm, on the right subject it can look good. Using Fuji and the shot is colder but better quality.

Fuji Reala

If you listen to the podcast discussion you'll see that the reversal film is just the first step and that they're not just firing up the old machinery and churning out the same old film.

Sorry I didn't watch the video as I'm more interest in the test results from people when the film is on the shelves. Anyway quite a few people did like the look of old Ferrania and how do you produce a film looking different from Fuji and Kodak...if they make it with hardly any grain it would be a winner for me, but I'm not interested if it's £7 a roll for 35mm or 120.

No Brian we know you aren't interested in it if it costs more than a farthing.....:D However many people are and it can only be a good thing if a company is prepared to invest in film and the more people that buy it the more chance we have of keeping film going... even Agfa Vista could disappear if nobody except you buys it.;)

No Brian we know you aren't interested in it if it costs more than a farthing.....:D However many people are and it can only be a good thing if a company is prepared to invest in film and the more people that buy it the more chance we have of keeping film going... even Agfa Vista could disappear if nobody except you buys it.;)

H'mm I can remember using a farthing or was it a penny-farthing :D

Bring back 127 and I'd be really interested.....
It's on their list Simon and is discussed in the podcast along with other formats like 110 and 126. To very loosely quote Dave Bias "there are millions of film cameras out there and we'd like to make film for all of them" They are basically looking at safeguarding film for the next 100 years so unless someone really gets to grips with cryogenic freezing, and masters the tricky art of the defrost, the Ferrania plant will see us all out.

FILM Ferrania's Kickstarter project seems to be going very well; only 3 days in they've currently had $137,805 pledged out of the $250,000 they need and there's is another 27 days left. If it goes on like this then I don't see any reason as to why they shouldn't reach their target.

I'm not that keen on the results that Brian's posted, to me they're over-saturated with a faint red cast. But I really want this to succeed and having looked at the Kickstarter page, I also really want to have those film boxes on my shelf (not to use them, that'd be wrong). I'm going to contribute enough to get a couple of rolls of 35mm and 120, one to use and one to keep.

As an aside, what the hell's happened to me? I used to be a not-quite-content GAS sufferer, buying random cameras and lenses from ebay and never being happy with my results but now I'm posting about 'feel' and seeking the context of an image and wanting to support a film endeavour in part to get some retro boxes to put on display with my cameras.

I'm blaming you lot. Especially Nick because he's little.

Ive also put my name down on some rolls of 35mm and 120, hopefully this will all take off. The response in only a couple of days has been amazing with any luck they'll get the whole thing fully funded.

I'm not that keen on the results that Brian's posted, to me they're over-saturated with a faint red cast. But I really want this to succeed and having looked at the Kickstarter page, I also really want to have those film boxes on my shelf (not to use them, that'd be wrong). I'm going to contribute enough to get a couple of rolls of 35mm and 120, one to use and one to keep.

The actual film that their going to produce is nothing like the examples that Brian has posted up, according to my Dad the Scotchchrome E6 emulsion that their basing it off used to be quite good stuff when he occasionally used it instead of Kodachrome. Next time I'm over my parents house I'll try to look through and see if I can find any (possibilities as it's obviously difficult to identify mounted slides film type if their just in generic mounts) examples.

The actual film that their going to produce is nothing like the examples that Brian has posted up, according to my Dad the Scotchchrome E6 emulsion that their basing it off used to be quite good stuff when he occasionally used it instead of Kodachrome. Next time I'm over my parents house I'll try to look through and see if I can find any (possibilities as it's obviously difficult to identify mounted slides film type if their just in generic mounts) examples.

Well how do you know if they haven't made the new neg colour film yet ;) In Italy (maybe other countries) the old film seemed to be more popular maybe to please the old users they would make the new film with a similar look as it's going to be difficult to match some of the very good Kodak and Fuji films......the only way they can do this is less grain and cheaper price otherwise people won't switch from their usual films.

Well how do you know if they haven't made the new neg colour film yet ;) In Italy (maybe other countries) the old film seemed to be more popular maybe to please the old users they would make the new film with a similar look as it's going to be difficult to match some of the very good Kodak and Fuji films......the only way they can do this is less grain and cheaper price otherwise people won't switch from their usual films.

What I mean is that your using examples of a colour negative film, when the film Ferrania is releasing is an E6 transparency film so the examples are of very limited value really as negative and slide usually do look somewhat different to one another. Considering that there's only really Fuji and Agfa-Geveant left in the E6 market having the possibility a new choice is very good to be honest.

What I mean is that your using examples of a colour negative film, when the film Ferrania is releasing is an E6 transparency film so the examples are of very limited value really as negative and slide usually do look somewhat different to one another. Considering that there's only really Fuji and Agfa-Geveant left in the E6 market having the possibility a new choice is very good to be honest.

erm well true but from the beginning always thought they were going to restart from where they left off...and now I read more of what is happening (and if I've got it right) is that they are trying to move all the old equipment out of the old factory before the new owners of the site demolish everything...all seems dodgy as they are trying to raise money from the public with no backing from the big financiers or Italian government. Anyway I hope it all goes well for them.

erm well true but from the beginning always thought they were going to restart from where they left off...and now I read more of what is happening (and if I've got it right) is that they are trying to move all the old equipment out of the old factory before the new owners of the site demolish everything...all seems dodgy as they are trying to raise money from the public with no backing from the big financiers or Italian government. Anyway I hope it all goes well for them.
They do have backing from the Italian government Brian, a huge amount has been spent on the infrastructure alone.

Ah! but it doesn't inspire confidence when asking for public money.
I think you may be missing the point of Kickstarter projects, it's about more than just the money.

I think you may be missing the point of Kickstarter projects, it's about more than just the money.

Well Ok,it could be just me, but I do find it strange buying film that you have no idea what it is going to be like and would anybody care if my name was on the wall of the factory......now if I was Prince William it would mean something ;)

Many companies now use kickstarter to raise money for projects, Holga did it for their latest camera and the petzval lens was also financed this way. It makes sense really, you are only paying for the money raised with goods produced by the money raised.... Sound financial reasoning really.

Many companies now use kickstarter to raise money for projects, Holga did it for their latest camera and the petzval lens was also financed this way. It makes sense really, you are only paying for the money raised with goods produced by the money raised.... Sound financial reasoning really.

Oh well...kickstarter is all new to me, and a quick check on google and 7.1 million have backed a kickstarter project.......I'm getting out of touch communicating from Mars. :D

I'm with Brian on kickstarter, it always seems to me to be away of passing on financial risk with out really sharing the upside. Sure you might get something slightly cheaper but it's only a promise, if it all falls flat after they've got your cash you are out of pocket. If they make millions your share is a few quid off an item.

Back