More new film on the way

I don't entirely disagree but it is the only way some smaller companies can finance development and it is the way the financial world is moving. It does give people the chance to be a small part in bringing to the market something they believe in and can (as in the case of Ferrania) help to keep an endangered product going.

Andy

Ah! but it doesn't inspire confidence when asking for public money.

I really don't think that the whole point of the Kickstarter was to simply finance what they're are doing; I think it's also a way of publicly demonstrating to their backers and other potential investors that there is a demand and a sincere interest in what Ferrania are trying to do.

Well they are going to need a lot more buyers than from kickstarter or people who show interest....I suppose someone has worked at how many buyers of film are needed each month\year to keep the company viable and surely it must be 1000s esp if they have to pay back loans.

Last edited:
Well of course they will and of course they have. They are not a group of youngsters who know nothing about business, they are experienced and knowledgeable professionals working in a business they know really well. It will have been worked out to the nearest euro how much they need to make it work and they have spent time and money in market research to find out if the market is there.

Well they are going to need a lot more buyers than from kickstarter or people who show interest....I suppose someone has worked at how many buyers of film are needed each month\year to keep the company viable and surely it must be 1000s esp if they have to pay back loans.

Worked it out? I doubt it, they'll be going into it totally blind without having a clue about anything they're doing.

Of course they'll have worked it out, to suggest there's a chance they might not have is nothing short of ridiculous.

For someone who supposedly loves film you ain't half cynical about this...

So Kodak and Fuji have got it wrong then in dropping lines.....well I can see problems ahead for the film industry as if most photographers switched to Ferrania then Kodak and Fuji would only keep the lines that can maintain some sort of profit and what if you find the new Ferrania was say like Portra would you switch even if more expensive? Would you even bother to think "well Ferrania needs the money more than Kodak"? There are many posts here on where to get film at the cheapest price, so many amateurs let their wallets decide, so price is a factor.
Everything will work out fine if more of Joe public get bored with digital and want to use film...will this happen.
Anyway it looks like Ferrania are being cautious by introducing E6 film first and would think if that's a great success would go into other lines maybe to fill the gaps in the market or even head to head with Kodak and Fuji and would think Italian photographers would be more supportive than in USA or UK and elsewhere so that is encouraging for them.
Well if iit all goes belly up in the future then there is always Poundland to get Ferrania film at a cheap price for those who could be bothered to try it.....like before. So hands up how many people have bought and used Ferrania.

Last edited:
So Kodak and Fuji have got it wrong then in dropping lines.....well I can see problems ahead for the film industry as if most photographers switched to Ferrania then Kodak and Fuji would only keep the lines that can maintain some sort of profit and what if you find the new Ferrania was say like Portra would you switch even if more expensive? Would you even bother to think "well Ferrania needs the money more than Kodak"? There are many posts here on where to get film at the cheapest price, so many amateurs let their wallets decide, so price is a factor.
Everything will work out fine if more of Joe public get bored with digital and want to use film...will this happen.
Anyway it looks like Ferrania are being cautious by introducing E6 film first and would think if that's a great success would go into other lines maybe to fill the gaps in the market or even head to head with Kodak and Fuji and would think Italian photographers would be more supportive than in USA or UK and elsewhere so that is encouraging for them.
Well if iit all goes belly up in the future then there is always Poundland to get Ferrania film at a cheap price for those who could be bothered to try it.....like before. So hands up how many people have bought and used Ferrania.

Brian, sometimes I feel like the rest of us are discussing oranges and you keep going on about apples, if you catch my drift?

It's a new company that is focusing on E6 film only. Why are you speculating about the prices and ramifications of their nonexistent colour negative Portra clone? Let's take this one step at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMN
:D Well ok RJ I don't use E6 film and if they only going to make pos film then it's end of story for me;)

:D Well ok RJ I don't use E6 film and if they only going to make pos film then it's end of story for me;)

I don't use much E6 either, but it'd be unfair to speculate what their plans are beyond that, especially since they haven't even produced anything for public consumption yet.

At the moment they say their concentrating on getting an E6 film out, purely because there is a gap in the marketplace (i.e little competition). Nothing says that they won't release C-41 or B&W emulsions later, but in both cases the market is already very crowded, and it would be difficult to gain a foothold over the competition so I can see why they would want to go with E6 first.

Well what I'm posting might be repeating what the Ferrania guys have already discussed among themselves and even a poll here "Ferrania film might be bringing out an E6 film would you be interested" wouldn't mean much compared to all the film users in the world.
Anyway it's all something to talk about and better than short answers to post #1 like "really", "good" , "how exciting" and so on. ;)

I admire their enterprise. However ferrania film was solidly at the bottom end of the marker quality wise.
So I am not holding my breath.

However ferrania film was solidly at the bottom end of the marker quality wise.

Interesting point that ties in with the quest for sharpness discussion. With the resurgence of interest in film from the rise of hipsterography, is it so important that the film is of top quality or is it better that it gives different or unique effects?

It strikes me that Ferriana have done their research and chosen their market well. Intermot, the annual German motorcycle show, was full of retro-styled bikes this year, it's what the current market wants. Producing a retro-boxed film with an old-fashioned look which is easy to scan or project for art installations is a well-considered move.

Should be noted that they're also making 8mm and 16mm cine film, perfect for Vine clips and YouTube projects.

I've just stuck my name down for a roll of 35 and a roll of 120. Never shot E6 so could be fun, could be a disaster, maybe I'll just keep it as a "pretty thing". Who knows. But if my ~£20 helps then excellent. Also if it takes off Dad has a 8mm camera he said I can have if I am feeling especially brave one day!

Looks like the Ferrania Kickstarter has reached its target, so they should manage to save those big machines. Chipped in for a couple rolls of 35mm (I've already got 5 rolls of Provia 120 and nothing I want to shoot it in :( ).

If I think of it as buying two rolls of film, it's expensive (but not a lot more than two rolls of Velvia 50). If I think of it as a contribution to the future of film, it's cheap. If I think I'm contributing to some Italian making a fortune off my back, I'll get confused (and I'd almost certainly be wrong). I'll stick with the middle option, and get 2 rolls of film for free if I'm lucky!

Well in these situations like this, I like the idea of a co-operative where each worker has put some savings into the company and of course reaps the rewards...but have no idea if this works maybe someone knows of successful businesses run this way.

I hadn't realised that CineStill also had a Kickstarter, for 800 ISO tungsten-balanced converted cine film for 120 (it's already available in 35mm). They're about 1/4 the way there, but for some reason this one doesn't light my fire quite the same as saving those old machines!

I hadn't realised that CineStill also had a Kickstarter, for 800 ISO tungsten-balanced converted cine film for 120 (it's already available in 35mm). They're about 1/4 the way there, but for some reason this one doesn't light my fire quite the same as saving those old machines!

I think a few people have slated the CineStill kickstarter by saying that it's a big cost to ship outside the US. I think if they reduced the price or made it free and included it in the initial cost to back like Ferrania did, then they would have had more backers. Have always been tempted to give CineStill a go. From what I have seen it gives great results in 35mm

Well with only 18 hours to go they've already smashed their target by about $65,000! I have also just pledged $40 and selected the twin 35mm option; the way I see it E6 is already quite expensive, and realistically to get two films and support a possibly very worthwhile (to film users) cause I'm quite happy to contribute about £25.

Last edited:
Last edited:
but is it kodak doing the actual work?
or they could just not plaster remjet on the back and stick it in cartridges and sell it...

but is it kodak doing the actual work?
or they could just not plaster remjet on the back and stick it in cartridges and sell it...

No, Kodak has no direct involvement in this venture at all. The company Cinestill are simply buying Kodak cine film, removing the remjet, and then packaging the film in 135 canisters to be sold.

sounded like they had a 3rd party involved to process the film from what i read, which made me think kodak might actually be doing it themselves this time

sounded like they had a 3rd party involved to process the film from what i read, which made me think kodak might actually be doing it themselves this time

I think they've collaborated with a motion picture lab to get the rem-jet removed so that the film could be processed in C-41 chemicals. I've heard that they had approached Kodak about producing some of the film without rem-jet to start, but they refused to get involved.

seems abit stupid on kodaks part, but I guess that's a management thing :-(

seems abit stupid on kodaks part, but I guess that's a management thing :-(

I think that Kodak have potentially legitimate concerns regarding quality control. The Kodak cine film is not meant to be processed in C-41 chemicals and, because it is untested, it is possible that the film may suffer problems with dye stability and colour degradation, amongst other issues, when cross processed. Consequently, they don't want to promote its cross processing in C-41 and they don't want their name tied to Cinestill film in any official capacity.

That's what I've taken from the bits that I've heard and read anyway. As with anything you read on the internet, take it with a huge pile of salt.

wasn't the normal process remjet removal and dev in one?

might try and get some sometime for next summer :)

Looks like the Ferrania Kickstarter has reached its target, so they should manage to save those big machines. Chipped in for a couple rolls of 35mm (I've already got 5 rolls of Provia 120 and nothing I want to shoot it in :( ).

If I think of it as buying two rolls of film, it's expensive (but not a lot more than two rolls of Velvia 50). If I think of it as a contribution to the future of film, it's cheap. If I think I'm contributing to some Italian making a fortune off my back, I'll get confused (and I'd almost certainly be wrong). I'll stick with the middle option, and get 2 rolls of film for free if I'm lucky!

Just got an email about this asking for postal details (although they say they won't be posting until April next year). Filled it in and submitted, then thought, hang on, that was for two rolls of 120! It appears I must have clicked the wrong box. :(

I'll have to see if I can email them to get it changed to 35mm...

Just got an email about this asking for postal details (although they say they won't be posting until April next year). Filled it in and submitted, then thought, hang on, that was for two rolls of 120! It appears I must have clicked the wrong box. :(

I'll have to see if I can email them to get it changed to 35mm...

If you login to your kickstarter account you should be able to change your reward to another (at least thats what it did say when they were campaigning for funds). I've just gone and submitted my details, it will be nice to try it out when it finally arrives (I selected the 2x 35mm as well).

I can't work out how to do that, but I've sent them a couple of messages via the Kickstarter account asking if they can swap the reward.

... and they have replied!

Hi Chris,

No worries at all. We made a note on your account and switched your reward to the 35 SHOOTER instead of the 120 Shooter.

Thanks!
The FILM Ferrania Team

So that's brilliant, I'm very pleased.

Couldn't resist getting a T-shirt! Had to wait frigging ages for it to arrive from the USA though, and had to pay almost as much in shipping and fees as the T-shirt cost once Royal Mail got their robbing mitts on it, but it's so worth it :D was only their tenth order too which is pretty cool.

View attachment 26719

This is all well and good young Carl but the question remains as to why you have stolen my spare bedroom curtains????

:D

Back