Motorbikes

off to Scotland on monday...rear wheel bearings collapse on me the sunday before a bank holiday..the race is on to find and then fit new bearings before sunday night....better now than when i was in Scotland to be fair

bike eventually fixed this afternoon, just had to wait for the new bearings to be delivered, ball ache taking the old ones out and had to resort to a dremel to cut the hardened steel outer races out as my bearing puller was no where big enough , i had to replace the rear axle to as when the bearings collapsed they wore a groove in the old one, done a quick 25 miles round some proper twisties tonight to see if all ok and i'l have a 220 mile loop round the peak district tomorrow just to double check...roll on Scotland Monday

Fitted a screen to the Bonnie. Total Triumph were knocking them out for about 1/3 the full price so I bought one a few weeks back. Took me longer to reassemble the headlight I'd undone the wrong screw in than it did to do the rest of the job! Just need to get it MOTed and taxed now!!! (Being totally disorganised, I failed to organise an MOT in time for the due date and the place I use is booked up until the end of the month. Luckily, I have the Bobber in the meantime.)

Fitted a screen to the Bonnie.

What's the Bonnie like? Is it a good practical bike or more of a vintage-alike plaything?

My last bike was a Trident 900, which was heavy, wallowy and fairly uncomfortable for longer than an hour (pegs too high for a tourer) and I've been looking at them for a little while (not gone so far as reviews yet though).

I've spent the last few days going from Cornwall to London to look after my mum, then on to the Midlands to visit the in-laws, back to London and last night back home. 815 miles and a sore bum despite my Airhawk. I actually have a nerve problem which results in a sore bum but am still even more convinced that I'm going to have to look into a new seat.

I've spent the last few days going from Cornwall to London to look after my mum, then on to the Midlands to visit the in-laws, back to London and last night back home. 815 miles and a sore bum despite my Airhawk. I actually have a nerve problem which results in a sore bum but am still even more convinced that I'm going to have to look into a new seat.

Other than that, how are you getting on with the V-Strom?

Other than that, how are you getting on with the V-Strom?
Well, it's a lovely easy ride, but on motorways I did find myself thinking a couple of times that the big brother (1000 or so rather than 650) would be a bit more fun, and even more relaxed but motorways are not the best places for a fun ride IMHO.
Despite slightly exceeding the speed limit a couple of times I managed an average of 60.5 mpg, and certainly twisted my wrist a few times.
I'd say it is an excellent bike for the type of riding I want to do, and doesn't encourage licence abuse too much, which my old CBF1000 did, as has every in-line 4 I've ever had, along with every 1000cc engined bike.
It's comfy, cheap to run (tyres included) and so easy to enjoy. Big enough to be seen, well proven and yellow. I'm very very pleased with it.
What's not to like.

Well, this.
A tiny fly decided to splat itself on the very top on my screen as I left home and despite my best attempts it remains there to keep me company. Many many others just exploded onto the screen leaving no obvious body parts, just a splat. This one still has it's tiny wings that I've watched flapping about to my amusement.
Also, given that the bike was pretty clean when I left home, it has now been through a decent shower so now needs some sort of clean, which it may never get.

On a side note, I bought a Shoei GT-Air 2 helmet (think that's what it is called) and a SENA intercom headset specifically made for it.
The helmet is WAY quieter than my previous cheapo Nolan 87, way less buffeting, but at motorway speeds the speakers are totally useless, woeful. I've got a set of the upgrade 'HD' speakers to fit, but had hoped to enjoy some music on my ride. It's OK on SatNav voice stuff, so maybe some fettling will help, but so far I'm not overly impressed with music via bluetooth from my phone.

What's the Bonnie like? Is it a good practical bike or more of a vintage-alike plaything?

My last bike was a Trident 900, which was heavy, wallowy and fairly uncomfortable for longer than an hour (pegs too high for a tourer) and I've been looking at them for a little while (not gone so far as reviews yet though).

I'm assuming the Trident was a modern one rather than an overbored T150/160!

I use mine more as a plaything than for any practical reasons (we have an assortment of cars for practicality, my bikes are for fun!) but I know a couple of people who have used identical bikes to mine for serious touring (with a few minor modifications). The standard seat is fairly renowned for its plank like comfort but that's an easy (if not particularly cheap) fix, either replacing with one of the myriad aftermarket ones available, adding a topper or reworking the original - mine's left stock since I don't do enough long journeys on it to make an alteration worthwhile (and I do have some extra padding between my jeans and clothing...)

If you fancy the idea of one, there are loads around, gods only know how many variations on the theme there are brand new, let alone the 2nd hand market! Take one (or more) out on a test ride and see what suits you/fits you best. Not ridden any of the 900s but the 865s are big enough (for solo riding, if a little gutless 2 up [enough for me since I ride very carefully with Mrs Nod behind me!]). The 1200s are noticeably more torquey and more fun!

I'm assuming the Trident was a modern one rather than an overbored T150/160!

I use mine more as a plaything than for any practical reasons (we have an assortment of cars for practicality, my bikes are for fun!) but I know a couple of people who have used identical bikes to mine for serious touring (with a few minor modifications). The standard seat is fairly renowned for its plank like comfort but that's an easy (if not particularly cheap) fix, either replacing with one of the myriad aftermarket ones available, adding a topper or reworking the original - mine's left stock since I don't do enough long journeys on it to make an alteration worthwhile (and I do have some extra padding between my jeans and clothing...)

If you fancy the idea of one, there are loads around, gods only know how many variations on the theme there are brand new, let alone the 2nd hand market! Take one (or more) out on a test ride and see what suits you/fits you best. Not ridden any of the 900s but the 865s are big enough (for solo riding, if a little gutless 2 up [enough for me since I ride very carefully with Mrs Nod behind me!]). The 1200s are noticeably more torquey and more fun!

Thanks - yes the trident was a modern one. I'm not sure power is really an issue, since I managed happily with an XS 500 twin and GT550 triple in my 20s. ;)

Memories of a (very!) badly set up GT550 setting off backwards, having started running backwards as the rider was nudging it round on the kicker!

The 865s are plenty for me on my own and I'm rather bigger than most riders (110kg or so, + riding kit...) For a solo toy, the 1200 Bobber does knock them into a cocked hat though! (Despite the look, it does handle very well and pulls like a train.)

After selling all my bikes a short time ago I am feeling the itch again. I am really tempted to give the Z900RS a go. I think I'll have a test ride and see what it is like. I don't want something stupid like the S1000R I had last, that was supposed to be a naked bike to tootle around on... erm, I found it impossible to ride without it turning me into a teenage hooligan again.

Z-H2!!! Nice little bike for a naked tootle!!! :D

what a week ive had with the bike after the bearings collapsed on me last sunday and the poncing about to sort it i decided on a quick blast round the peak district friday before my trip round Scotland monday...great day till on the way home down the woodhead pass, drifted slightly to much on one corner paniced and braked instead of accelerated...touched some dirt at the side of the road and down i went...it didnt look too bad a corner but by the amount of debris at the side of the road at that spot and the tree in front looking like its been hit about a dozen times it must of been worse than it looked...anyway, result was my crash bobbins/mushroom saved most of the damage to the bike, a bent rear brake pedal ( very rarely use it anyway so no big deal) the mushroom bolt bent and some scuffs to the fairing it wasnt too bad, though i feel the bars are just slighly bent 1 or 2 degrees..rode like a complete tit...anyway got it home, rode a bit tentatively at first in case id cracked the frame/headstock but all felt right...took it to my mates garage and after a bit of heat was applied to the brake lever it bent back just right, the bolt came out and that too was straightened, il replace it soon as i get a chance...so all good and the scotland trip back on...coming into our path and i clipped the door frame and snapped the bloody gear pedal hanger...5 pm on a friday night...i coudnt believe it...i was in work all weekend i was gitted, i found a replacement part in a breakers in stoke (im in liverpool) so a mate shot up there for 9am on the saturday morning and fitted it back to the bike...too scared to even sit on it before tomorrow in case i break something else... roll on 9 am

Am taking it from that YOU are ok Brendan! Metal can be fixed, we are a rather more fragile - I have the plates and knackered leg to prove it
Some lovely roads in Scotland, FFS take it steady and get back in one piece!

what a week ive had with the bike after the bearings collapsed on me last sunday and the poncing about to sort it i decided on a quick blast round the peak district friday before my trip round Scotland monday...great day till on the way home down the woodhead pass, drifted slightly to much on one corner paniced and braked instead of accelerated...touched some dirt at the side of the road and down i went...it didnt look too bad a corner but by the amount of debris at the side of the road at that spot and the tree in front looking like its been hit about a dozen times it must of been worse than it looked...anyway, result was my crash bobbins/mushroom saved most of the damage to the bike, a bent rear brake pedal ( very rarely use it anyway so no big deal) the mushroom bolt bent and some scuffs to the fairing it wasnt too bad, though i feel the bars are just slighly bent 1 or 2 degrees..rode like a complete tit...anyway got it home, rode a bit tentatively at first in case id cracked the frame/headstock but all felt right...took it to my mates garage and after a bit of heat was applied to the brake lever it bent back just right, the bolt came out and that too was straightened, il replace it soon as i get a chance...so all good and the scotland trip back on...coming into our path and i clipped the door frame and snapped the bloody gear pedal hanger...5 pm on a friday night...i coudnt believe it...i was in work all weekend i was gitted, i found a replacement part in a breakers in stoke (im in liverpool) so a mate shot up there for 9am on the saturday morning and fitted it back to the bike...too scared to even sit on it before tomorrow in case i break something else... roll on 9 am

What a few days you’ve had! Thankfully you are ok. Have an awesome few days. You deserve it!

I always find the monthly motorbike sales data an interesting read. May’s has just been released.
Total registrations of motorbikes, mopeds and tricycles (not including scooters) were up 173% compared to May 2020.
It’s clear that the Trident is a success for Triumph, and yet again Suzuki failed to make the list of top ten selling brands.

Honda 2392
Yamaha 1717
Triumph 1133
BMW 1,009
Kawasaki 810
KTM 652
Lexmoto 418
Harley-Davidson 404
Royal Enfield 397
Ducati 388

Scooter registrations were up 97%.

I'm lusting after a Husqvarna 701 supermoto, is that weird?

Today was one of those perfect days for being on a bike. I did a fabulous 142 mile loop through some of the best roads in south Wales.

940EB0C0-F9EC-4499-A805-E9DB49096B1E.jpegF3CEDAA5-59A8-49FB-830E-071988E35BB1.jpeg732D785E-7BD5-45CF-B62B-3664B56CFE82.jpeg25BFD341-5821-4F95-B788-4EDF0FD95DFF.jpegBD265481-C4D8-42A5-966F-BC96C849B0B1.jpeg

Under 15% chance of rain tomorrow (according to the app I just looked at!) so I'm hoping to get out for a trundle tomorrow. I bet the MOT man phones while I'm on the road! (2 bikes need MOTs soon so trying to organise that.)

I’ve had to drop a line to Barkbusters. Whilst the hand guards are a quality product, the LED lights I added to them in March have already failed on one side. Not impressed.

I’ve had to drop a line to Barkbusters. Whilst the hand guards are a quality product, the LED lights I added to them in March have already failed on one side. Not impressed.
Ah... Hope they can sort it out for you.
I've got some BikeVis Bullets which do the job well, and they do a LED strip which may be worth a look if Barkbusters don't help -
They seem very helpful from my dealings with them.

Under 15% chance of rain tomorrow (according to the app I just looked at!) so I'm hoping to get out for a trundle tomorrow. I bet the MOT man phones while I'm on the road! (2 bikes need MOTs soon so trying to organise that.)

Half decent trundle out to Two Bridges via Moretonhampstead but it was a bit foggy on the higher moor so I didn't do my normal loop - just cut down to Ashburton and then down through Newton Abbott and home along the coast road where the sun was almost shining!

Lucky to get that far though. Waiting at a junction, I felt a brush on my knee as a car was being impatient. Turned to remonstrate with the driver who carried on and drove over my foot! Only caught the edge of my foot (and I wear strong riding boots) so no real damage done. Apart from her bonnet which has a fist shaped dent in it...

Am taking it from that YOU are ok Brendan! Metal can be fixed, we are a rather more fragile - I have the plates and knackered leg to prove it
Some lovely roads in Scotland, FFS take it steady and get back in one piece!

im fine, right hip was a bit sore that night but not too bad...i know all about plates and knackered legs, ive one in each leg and im waiting on a total knee replacement after the cock up last time i broke my tib and fib they left a 10mm gap in my tibial plateau so at the moment my femur rubs against the plate when i walk...Scotland as usual was epic, the roads were quieter than usual too, considering the time of year, it was quite windy and that kept the midgies at bay, we had a morning of light rain wedneday , but apart from that the weather was good. bikes ran great apart from 2 of us getting punctures but we managed to plug both of them quite easy...300-350 miles a day is hard work on Scottish roads but already planning next trip when im back up there july and september

stinkwheel.jpg

Finally got round to trying my fancy bike stands/movers today and I am very happy with them, I can easily move the bike about with one hand - even managed it with two fingers! They were expensive but I'll save time, space and lots of effort parking up. Almost have room for another bike ...

I have the green light for driving and riding from my quack so I think a good look at the sea is in order for tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Back