Motorbikes

This may just be a rush of blood but.......................

Just to say, I love my CBR, I won't be selling it.

Quite often though, I'm out and about with my camera and some of the places I go to are restricted car wise. I do love a walk too but sometimes, I wish I could get to these places quicker.

One of these places is a windfarm, it was at one time (may still be) the biggest land windfarm in Europe ie, Whitelee. Access there is great, there are tracks between every turbine. Some are restricted to vehicles but others are open. They don't suit a sportsbike though and I have been hankering for a trail/enduro type bike for a while.

I may have found one. A local dealer has a road legal, Honda CRF 250 for sale, just the right side of £4k, with less than 3,000 miles on it and an 18 plate.

As I say, this may be a rush of blood, I am human. I do like to sleep on these things but at the moment, I think I'd get more use out of a trail bike than my sportsbike. Also, I think most of the depreciation has happaned on this bike now and I should get a fair wedge of the money back, if I decide to sell in a few years.

250cc is plenty, I'm not interested in speed. That said, even a 250 should nudge 80 or 90.

Anybody ever had a CRF?

(or do I just carry on saving for the R5 Mkii ?) ;)

Do you have a Royal Enfield dealer anywhere within riding distance? If so, a Himalayan test ride might be worth doing. Not sure how it compares weightwise with the Honda under consideration but they're (RE) supposedly pretty capable off road and sound pretty good too!

Do you have a Royal Enfield dealer anywhere within riding distance? If so, a Himalayan test ride might be worth doing. Not sure how it compares weightwise with the Honda under consideration but they're (RE) supposedly pretty capable off road and sound pretty good too!
Or the new Scram 411.

I will certainly look into them.

I've been considering an E-Bike for some time but to be honest, whilst I have nothing against them, the prices of some of them are more than even a B/new motorbike in many cases, and legally can only assist pedalling and restricted under power to 15mph.

At my age, motorbike it will have to be, if I do take the plunge.

GS1300!!! Along with a second mortgage and a contract with your local crane company should you drop it!!!

cracked-open.jpg

This may just be a rush of blood but.......................

Just to say, I love my CBR, I won't be selling it.

Quite often though, I'm out and about with my camera and some of the places I go to are restricted car wise. I do love a walk too but sometimes, I wish I could get to these places quicker.

One of these places is a windfarm, it was at one time (may still be) the biggest land windfarm in Europe ie, Whitelee. Access there is great, there are tracks between every turbine. Some are restricted to vehicles but others are open. They don't suit a sportsbike though and I have been hankering for a trail/enduro type bike for a while.

I may have found one. A local dealer has a road legal, Honda CRF 250 for sale, just the right side of £4k, with less than 3,000 miles on it and an 18 plate.

As I say, this may be a rush of blood, I am human. I do like to sleep on these things but at the moment, I think I'd get more use out of a trail bike than my sportsbike. Also, I think most of the depreciation has happaned on this bike now and I should get a fair wedge of the money back, if I decide to sell in a few years.

250cc is plenty, I'm not interested in speed. That said, even a 250 should nudge 80 or 90.

Anybody ever had a CRF?

(or do I just carry on saving for the R5 Mkii ?) ;)

you will be lucky to hit 70-75mph on a long straight and thats dependant on your weight , as far as i can remember the CRF's have quite a short service interval ( quick google 4000mls) , so that may have to be taken into consideration ,insurance might too be a consideration, the rats love crossers,(especially if your in or near a big city ) if it were me and you had space, id have both, both lots of fun

sod the weather, im putting on my waterproofs and out on the bike to wales tomorrow, im off to Tenerife for a couple of weeks soon so need to get some riding in or il go doolaly

sod the weather, im putting on my waterproofs and out on the bike to wales tomorrow, im off to Tenerife for a couple of weeks soon so need to get some riding in or il go doolaly
I just did the same, thought I might get a shower or 2 but had rain the whole 75 miles but I was kitted up for it and needed a fix. :D

thank god for this gear, god knows how i managed all the years without dying of exposure, came close to it a couple of times

gortex.jpg

Reactions: Nod
9f883c68bb7075e455b59e6cb07254c9cbade854.jpeg

off to Scotland for 4 days on saturday, probably my last decent trip on the bike this year apart from days out, looking half decent weather on sat and sun but wet monday and tuesday...just got to decide what way to go up...decisions decisions

Up the pretty way, back down the safest!

284e32dd287414b05c5b904ae5926c568808e397_2_750x750.jpeg

A cold but thankfully dry day up to Scotland yesterday, came across my first ice and a bit of snow as I went over the lead hills at Wanlockhead, there was some right knobs out with no sense of lane discipline, my mood not helped by me working a 24 hour shift on the Friday, crisp and clear with great views over the lakes from the hartside pass

wet and wild in places, the past few days, especially the Sunday night but by then i was safely tucked up in bed, must of been bad in the lake district the past few days as there was lots of flooding even on bigger A roads such as the A6, had my first bit of snow and ice going over the lead hills and into Wanlockhead, i was actually going to stop for a pint in Scotlands highest pub but i thought i would be sensible and drop to a lower altitude as it was getting dark and colder, thankfully i stuck to round the coast and low down , thinking of hiring a bike when were in tenerife in 2 weeks, hopefully its a bit warmer and dryer

MOT time this afternoon, flew through it with no advisories, only managed 12,750 miles this year but ive had a bit of time off due to a couple of surgeries, up to 87,904 miles, il do 100k by next year, out to Yorkshire dales tomorrow to rack up a couple of hundred more

39e481d8591c6d779d8ed8e6b3e9f90b6c2def16_2_616x748.jpeg

af39ca903ef22b59ba8aed4d7e67dadec28a4a7a_2_537x750.jpeg

e912a7d90dab63e02ea8e6d7e153a23fa6a0e112_2_771x750.jpeg

well out for a ride tomorrow, probably just hitting north wales as its the lads Christmas p*** up tomorrow night ,it will probably the last ride of the year for me, roll on next year, got some more knee surgery planned probably in Aprilish and im looking at 3 months off according to the surgeon, so il have to cherish and appreciate every ride i can until then, no better motivation for knee surgery than the need to get your knee up on a footpeg of a bike

Cruiser type pegs!!! :p

e83faabad4ccdb644cc6ea89585821c8366c005d.jpeg

c8ca26542920e60f83709eeace905a1799edb0bb.jpeg

10mm socket...

I found that 1/2" was the most used on the Shovel - but that was probably because it was in VERY regular use adjusting the clutch... Kept a specially sawn off one sticking out of the tool roll.

Just had my insurance renewal through from Ms Nash. Massive increase of... £12.12 on last year!!! £336.26 for 4 bikes, fully comp..

My car insurance has also only increased a tiny bit. Can only think that the companies are under the misapprehension that turning 60 means I've grown up!!!

im off tomorrow, weather dosnt seem too bad so despite my bloody knee killing me and i really should be resting it elevated with an ice pack on to get the swelling down il have a few hours round the peak district tomorrow on the bike, the last ride off 2023...roll on 2024

d19720a3f91db568f0af2b9db9f1d75a8c9dc011_2_528x750.jpeg

Much as I'd love one, I don't have the skills to look after it properly (or the hips to start a proper [kickstart only] one!) IMO, the prettiest of the Harley motors.

first proper ride of the year planned for tomorrow, hopefully the bike starts, i was doing a bit of prep on it saturday, cleaned and oiled the chain, checked the tyres, down on pressure so decided to get the compressor that attatches to the bike battery out, tyres inflated up, goes to start the bloody thing and id drained the battery, probably a combination of the cold and not using the bike for a couple of weeks , ordered myself a battery jump starter from amazon and came on sunday...too late unfortunatly for me to get out on the bike and ive been in work on a 12 hour shift today so il have a ride tomorrow, might head up to scotland for a couple of days as im not back in work till saturday, have to see how i feel in the morning as my knee is giving me jip

first proper ride of the year planned for tomorrow, hopefully the bike starts, i was doing a bit of prep on it saturday, cleaned and oiled the chain, checked the tyres, down on pressure so decided to get the compressor that attatches to the bike battery out, tyres inflated up, goes to start the bloody thing and id drained the battery, probably a combination of the cold and not using the bike for a couple of weeks , ordered myself a battery jump starter from amazon and came on sunday...too late unfortunatly for me to get out on the bike and ive been in work on a 12 hour shift today so il have a ride tomorrow, might head up to scotland for a couple of days as im not back in work till saturday, have to see how i feel in the morning as my knee is giving me jip
Had mine yesterday, it was a cold one only 60 miles but enough in that cold.

I only use the mini-compressor with the bike running. Gets it nicely warmed up before a ride too!

6be26d010cddbdb5f826d797859506f61e62d553.jpeg

Decided against Scotland after talking to my brother who is up there at the moment had a day in the lakes instead 270 miles some of it over high passes a bit of ice on the floor and some high winds made it very interesting in places cold despite my extra layers on but thankfully dry I will have another run out this week as I'm off to Spain next week and wont get a chance for a ride when we're away

Last edited:
Back