Motorbikes

Ain't hindsight wonderful?!!!

back on the bike tomorrow, 280 miles to blow the cobwebs away after a week on the lash in benidorm, just need to charge my cardo up

mates just had his ZZR 14 remapped to give him 211BHP,be fun tomorrow trying to keep up with my mere 155BHP when we have a blast round the peaks , god roll on the summer

We have these for 20mph in Wales lol
View attachment 414060

Haven't been out for a few weeks. Spent this afternoon giving the bike the once over ready for the next half decent day.

I'm not sure I want to bother with Wales frankly. Probably head up into the Peaks.

2034cc59f12d02b89fc8cf84845c544936304c31.jpeg

"Somewhere, over the rainbow..."

Talking of potential oil slicks emanating from motorcycles, the Bristol Classic Bike Show is coming up at the end of the month. £15 for pre-ordered tickets, £18 on the door. As always, at the Bath and West showground, Shepton Mallet.

We're heading up on the Sunday. I'll be easy to spot - grey hair and bearded...

Too cold this time of year to be riding, I’m normally tinkering in the garage
At the moment tinkering with the nearly 40 year old carbs on my Yamaha YPVS
its still an awesome bike to ride but definitely modern fuel injection technology is much better, got the carbs sorted now hopefully float level wasn’t quite setup right :)

Decent thermals and an Irvin flying jacket keep me warm!

71b10cce2af38893d0556b917e447d4349fcccf6.jpeg

Too cold this time of year to be riding, I’m normally tinkering in the garage
At the moment tinkering with the nearly 40 year old carbs on my Yamaha YPVS
its still an awesome bike to ride but definitely modern fuel injection technology is much better, got the carbs sorted now hopefully float level wasn’t quite setup right :)

i gave up on bikes with carbs after my last 1200 bandit, swore never again, it was my spare bike and never rode it often enough so the carbs gummed up and despite me taking them off and on the bike that many times to tinker with, ultrasonicly cleaned, replace all the jets, the floats etc and looked at by people much cleverer than me ,it was never right it kept flooding the engine , so i had to get rid, i dont like too much modern stuff on bikes, but fuel injection is one of them

i gave up on bikes with carbs after my last 1200 bandit, swore never again, it was my spare bike and never rode it often enough so the carbs gummed up and despite me taking them off and on the bike that many times to tinker with, ultrasonicly cleaned, replace all the jets, the floats etc and looked at by people much cleverer than me ,it was never right it kept flooding the engine , so i had to get rid, i dont like too much modern stuff on bikes, but fuel injection is one of them
Yes that’s what I have found , if I leave it standing for any length of time the carbs will gum up
It’s not too much hassle though I just drain the float bowls if I’m not going to use it for a while
Setting up the float levels is a hassle though

9fa247bea874ee8ba037567229d203427c0852a9.jpeg

That's actually supposed to be in the main jokes thread!

I meant to post the one below!!!

1d8ea8e5a5622602d757baf08cad1bee7e006d13_2_562x750.jpeg

Why didn't I buy heated gloves years ago? The one thing that spoils a ride out at this time of year is now eliminated.

:cool:

ive looked at heated gloves, for me i dont want to be tethered to the bike, unplugging them every time i get off would be a faff, as for the battery ones i feel they would be too bulky to get under my jacket when its wet so the rain would run into them, fair enough id had warm wet hands but wet is still wet, so its a no from me, i use richa gortex winter gloves and that with my heated grips is great

ive looked at heated gloves, for me i dont want to be tethered to the bike, unplugging them every time i get off would be a faff, as for the battery ones i feel they would be too bulky to get under my jacket when its wet so the rain would run into them, fair enough id had warm wet hands but wet is still wet, so its a no from me, i use richa gortex winter gloves and that with my heated grips is great
That was pretty much my view all these years. I have always struggled with cold fingers, even when not on the bike, and have tried everything, including heated grips and hand guards.

I decided in the end the inconvenience would be worth it but it turns out that, in real world use, it's barely an inconvenience at all.

Having said that, I'll be happy when the weather warms up enough to not need them.

That was pretty much my view all these years. I have always struggled with cold fingers, even when not on the bike, and have tried everything, including heated grips and hand guards.

I decided in the end the inconvenience would be worth it but it turns out that, in real world use, it's barely an inconvenience at all.

Having said that, I'll be happy when the weather warms up enough to not need them.
:plus1:

Heated grips, handlebar muffs, good gloves and under gloves. You'll do anything as a courier in the winter! ☃️

A quick reminder to any interested parties - it's the Bristol Classic Bike Show at Shepton Mallet this weekend(24-25/02/2024).

aaf76f8857c1177b0f19d1b7e2261b16e36f1c2f.jpeg

I'm sure there have been some reliable Ducatis - the 1098 wasn't one of them!!!

just survived my first bike camping trip of the year at the frozen nuts bike rally..and i use the word survived appropriately, my god it was cold, didnt help on the friday night getting in my tent i must of knocked the plug from my air mattress in my drunken sate and lying on the floor really seeped up the cold, bit of a test to see how i managed camping with my dodgy knee but i managed to get the tent up and down without help so il take the tent and have a camping trip on one of my trips up to Scotland this year insatead of hotels,B&B's etc

Good on ya, Brendan! Our rallying days are well behind us - too used to creature comforts, I suppose. Although we used to get a 6'6" frame tent, a double airbed (air horn compressor used to blow it up - FAST!!!) and a duvet on a GS550. Used to run a get together on Dartmoor in February... even the bunkhouse was cold! Excessive drunkenness definitely helped us not feel the cold.

It’s been a long time since we did rally’s, unfortunately shift work meant we couldn’t often have Friday and Saturday night free

My memories of rallies, we used to call them runs, are long rides in all weathers at all times of year in jeans and leather jacket, 2 days of extreme substance abuse and a long ride home. Get up for work Monday morning when you had a job. In the 70s you either had long hair or a job.

How the hell did any of us survive?

230 miles through the yorkshire dales today...my god it was cold in some bits, you could really tell when we started to get high up,and according to relive my top speed was 165 mph...there must of been a bit of a glitch there :rolleyes::p

I was on top of the Peaks today. Yes it was fresh.

Still a few bikes at the Monyash cafe though.

Battling the wind was challenging.

Last edited:
I know which bits got cold...

Quite a few bikes out yesterday with some stopping at Lyme Regis for lunch. Looked like it was the first time out after winter for some of them (or the owners spend a LOT of time polishing!!!)

wOw fabulous looking machine that CB500X. Have you owned it long..? How do you like it..?

I've had it a little over 2 years and it's very nearly perfect for me. I hadn't ridden a bike for about 30 years so needed something that wasn't too heavy and was easy to ride. It's great fun in the twisties and will sit on a motorway all day at 75, even fully loaded with camping gear.

Reactions: Nod
Back