Motorbikes

Perfectly apart from the embaresmet of shunting my mates bike up the arse at a junction..he had a cracked number plate , replacement on order, just need to get it painted to match and good to go
Oops.
I did wonder quite what had happened, but very glad no one got hurt.
A timely reminder about stopping distances I guess, something I seem to need every now and then, especially when the weather improves and there are more distractions..

Perfectly apart from the embaresmet of shunting my mates bike up the arse at a junction..he had a cracked number plate , replacement on order, just need to get it painted to match and good to go

I'll admit to doing that too (without the damage though!) I thought he had gone as there was a massive gap ... very nearly dropped my Dyna, think the adrenaline gave me extra strength!

I always worry about someone driving into the back of me at roundabouts. The saving grace is, that if they do, it’s on video!

Oops.
I did wonder quite what had happened, but very glad no one got hurt.
A timely reminder about stopping distances I guess, something I seem to need every now and then, especially when the weather improves and there are more distractions..
, came to a junction, saw paul look up the road to the right and i thought he pulled out, i am looking up to the right too, and he had stopped, only doing a couple of mph if that, apart from the number plate and my mudguard only my pride hurt

wonthit.jpg

My sister sent me a copy of an old photo, mid 80s I reckon.

I remember taking the engine out at one point, this might be from the reassembly. I had a lot of fun on that bike, the cowled discs and cam chain tensioner were always a problem but it went like the clappers :)

Traded it for a CBX750 which was in another league, happy days!

Helmet cameras or bike mounted cameras - what do you use and why?
Here in Cornwall the roads are getting busy with tourists who leave their eyes, brains and driving skills at home so I'm starting to wonder about getting some sort of camera.
I know nothing about these things, so can anyone offer any advice and experience please?
I'm kind of expecting Ricardodaforce to have a few words to say here !

Here in Cornwall the roads are getting busy with tourists who leave their eyes, brains and driving skills at home so I'm starting to wonder about getting some sort of camera.
I know nothing about these things, so can anyone offer any advice and experience please?

I've had a fixed system for a while but added a helmet camera last year after a road rage incident, not my rage! I really don't like attaching things to my helmet but I wasn't in view of the fixed system when the moron tried to punch me in the face, I say moron be because I still had my helmet on and the front was flipped down :/

Haha. My bike has an Innovv system on it. Front and rear cameras, with the control box tucked away inside the bodywork between the seat and tail.
I didn’t go the helmet camera route as 1, the safety element concerns me, and 2, I am recording both front and rear using what I have.

Yeah, I then followed the Simpson with a CZ175 where the gear leaver flicked back to form the kick starter. All my mates laughed at me but when they were still paying the HP off on their Superdreams and stuff when I passed my test in 1983 I bought a Laverda RGS, they were not laughing then!

1983 was a very good year, I passed my part two test then. My first bike was a Honda C90, then a Kawasaki AR80 (really lovely, nippy little bike), then a leap onto a Kawasaki GPz 550 H2 Unitrak which was lovely. I then bought a Honda VT250, which was a fast, reliable, well engineered beauty which I sold for a healthy profit. I then bought a Triumph Bonneville T140V, which was the worst bike I ever owned, but it kept me mobile whilst I repainted the Kwaka 550 in Lawson colours, fitted Mel Lemoto clipons and rearsets, plus a 4 into 1 Motad exhaust.
Those were the days, when the sun seemed to shine all the time and life was much simpler.

1983 was a very good year, I passed my part two test then. My first bike was a Honda C90, then a Kawasaki AR80 (really lovely, nippy little bike), then a leap onto a Kawasaki GPz 550 H2 Unitrak which was lovely. I then bought a Honda VT250, which was a fast, reliable, well engineered beauty which I sold for a healthy profit. I then bought a Triumph Bonneville T140V, which was the worst bike I ever owned, but it kept me mobile whilst I repainted the Kwaka 550 in Lawson colours, fitted Mel Lemoto clipons and rearsets, plus a 4 into 1 Motad exhaust.
Those were the days, when the sun seemed to shine all the time and life was much simpler.
Fantastic times, I lived in Bristol where there was a amazing bike scene, at least seven "bikers pubs" and live bands in one every night. Friday nights we would go on runs to biker pubs in the surrounding area forty or fifty miles away. Seamed every weekend we were off to Devon, Cornwall, the snake pass or Wales. Every sort of bike from Seventies Hard Tail chops to GPZ900 which a couple of lads bought new in 1984 which were the popes b*****ks!

I've had a fixed system for a while but added a helmet camera last year after a road rage incident, not my rage! I really don't like attaching things to my helmet but I wasn't in view of the fixed system when the moron tried to punch me in the face, I say moron be because I still had my helmet on and the front was flipped down :/

About 10 years ago I pulled up to some red lights near my home, and a w***** in a Merc thought it funny to let his car roll right up and give my rear wheel a little nudge. I kicked out the side stand to have a word, and this 6 ft 6 giant got out of the driver's seat and decided to headbutt me, while I still had my helmet on. I just tipped my head forwards and let him break his nose on my head :LOL:

I just got back on the bike and rode off, leaving him there with blood (and egg I guess) all over his face. What possessed him to try and but somebody wearing a crash helmet I'll never know, maye he was intoxicated,, but it was literally, bloody stupid.....

Last edited:
Innovv. I would never have recalled the name, and even a quick look through the last few pages failed to help.. I'll take a look at them.
I'm leaning towards a bike mounted camera (or 2) in part due to the ease of being able to wire in and forget as I'm rubbish at charging batteries for heated gloves etc but my satnav never goes flat...
@Ricardodaforce -what's the stabilisation like on yours? I'd been wondering about the gopro hero 7 which is excellent from the 1 clip I've seen..

Last edited:
Innovv. I would never have recalled the name, and even a quick look through the last few pages failed to help.. I'll take a look at them.
I'm leaning towards a bike mounted camera (or 2) in part due to the ease of being able to wire in and forget as I'm rubbish at charging batteries for heated gloves etc but my satnav never goes flat...
@Ricardodaforce -what's the stabilisation like on yours? I'd been wondering about the gopro hero 7 which is excellent from the 1 clip I've seen..

The video quality won’t match a GoPro for sure, but it’s not an action cam.

Here‘s a link to show you how it coped with appalling conditions on the motorway.

The video quality won’t match a GoPro for sure, but it’s not an action cam.

Here‘s a link to show you how it coped with appalling conditions on the motorway.

Thanks for that - I need to do some research and think about what matters to me. I don't think I want an action cam, I'd like something hard wired but may I want something I can use away from the bike.. Hmm.

got the date for my operation to take the pins and plates out of my leg...this Tuesday, so no riding for me for a few weeks...got 6 weeks to recover before Scotland at the end of May
Well that was a week I can tell you, went down in Broadgreen hospital Tuesday morning for my operation, woken up Wednesday afternoon in Aintree hospitals intensive care unit on a ventilator, I had vomited and aspirated under the anaesthetic my left lung filled up and they struggled to get the intubation tube down, starved of oxygen for a whilst, I was basically dead for a while, thank god they managed to get me back , no residual problems upto now and so grateful tothe staff on the itu unit gor their care dedication and professionalism and especially to Dr George who saved my life ,ive still got the plates in so got to do it all again..no shame on saying my arse will be going when it's due

Well that was a week I can tell you, went down in Broadgreen hospital Tuesday morning for my operation, woken up Wednesday afternoon in Aintree hospitals intensive care unit on a ventilator, I had vomited and aspirated under the anaesthetic my left lung filled up and they struggled to get the intubation tube down, starved of oxygen for a whilst, I was basically dead for a while, thank god they managed to get me back , no residual problems upto now and so grateful tothe staff on the itu unit gor their care dedication and professionalism and especially to Dr George who saved my life ,ive still got the plates in so got to do it all again..no shame on saying my arse will be going when it's due
Bloody ell, hope it goes better next time...........

Get well soon.

Hope yer back on you bike soon.

So it's YOU who is making insects extinct!!!

One month and 14 days till I ride to The Alps. I’ve been planning some routes I’m going to ride. The Col du Grand Saint Bernard (Switzerland to Italy) the Col du Petit Saint Bernard (Italy to France) and Col de L’Iseran await me. I’ve actually driven all those mountain passes, but to do them on two wheels will be awesome.
I‘ve just ordered an Insta360 ONE X2 to help record my exploits.
I‘m already getting excited!

Good to hear you’re ok; hope there’s no after effects and goes better next time.
I know you don’t eat the day before, try a different diet in the days before maybe??

One month and 14 days till I ride to The Alps. I’ve been planning some routes I’m going to ride. The Col du Grand Saint Bernard (Switzerland to Italy) the Col du Petit Saint Bernard (Italy to France) and Col de L’Iseran await me. I’ve actually driven all those mountain passes, but to do them on two wheels will be awesome.

I've done the Gt St Bernard a number of times, the best route I have found is via the Mont Blanc tunnel, to Aosta, then on the SS27 (I think), doing the loop at Crevacol, then the old road (SS27?). Orsieres, Sembrancher, and Martigny-Combe. From their take the road over the Col Du La Forclaz (stop there to eat, it's brilliant) Then follow that road down into Vallorcine.

I've done that route on an SV650, GSX-R600, 954 FireBlade, Focus ST and Mini JCW. I've tried other routes, but I always prefer that one. Going through the tunnel is a pain, but it gets you to Aosta easily. And if you've never seen it, go to https://www.alpineroads.com/ for some really good reference material.

The other place in France to ride is the Alsace, stunning scenery, great roads, even better food, and great wines.....

Straight pipes!!! (A mate had a Shovelhead [different mate, same Shovel as I had custody of for a while!] with 2" straight pipes and used to use the Hatfield tunnel at every opportunity!)

Straight pipes!!! (A mate had a Shovelhead [different mate, same Shovel as I had custody of for a while!] with 2" straight pipes and used to use the Hatfield tunnel at every opportunity!)

I'm now like that with my car, taking every opportunity under a bridge or in a tunnel to hit the go pedal and then lift off causing it to pop & bang on the overrun. One day I might grow up, but at 60, that's unlikely :LOL:

Its fun but do it in the early morning before cars start to drive up it. Then it can be an exercise in frustration. As a side note when I did it: In Italy 30+ C, at the top of the pass, 6 C - I literally froze - lol. I can safely say that I did beetle down the other side though... I found it more fun going up..

IMG_1650051768155.jpg

If anyone can remember I came across another biker that had crashed on the A70 last September,plenty of police there but no medics there so I kept him going for 2 hours waiting on the helicopter, well he was on the telly on channel 4 last night a programme called rescue extreme medics, thankfully they only filmed after he got to hospital so my ugly mug not on it but brought back all the memories, still a bit proud of myself to help out and very wierd seeing it on the telly

Sat on my bike this morning to go out for a nice long ride, and before I even moved I noticed that it didn’t feel right. Looked down and saw the rear was totally flat.
Locked it back up and went out for a walk instead. Just used some water spray and found the puncture. A tiny little slit, and I mean tiny. I’ll repair it after lunch.
I have 2 new tires being fitted the week after next in preparation for my ride to the Alps.

Back