MPB

I have sold many items to MPB and my experience has been very positive. Also their free collection service is a bonus. No ebay/paypal feels or dealing with dodgy buyers.

An interesting thread as I'm looking at selling my Fujifilm gear as I move to Sony. I've got 2 quite different quotes from MPB and WEX. Still considering selling privately, but like to have less hassle if the values I'd get aren't too far off selling privately.

My question really is, in peoples' experience dealing with these companies, would I get a better offer when selling or by trading against a new camera body I have my eye on?

Thanks

In my opinion for canon they were spot on. For fuji I thought their offers were low ball. I assume like a car if you're trading it in you'll get more for that than a sale.

Thanks for the replies. Was surprised how low the Fujifilm prices were given the prices they fetch secondhand, so will probably try and sell privately first.

I've recently been given a quote for items I have for sale, went to proceed and noted that the earliest collection date was showing as 28 Dec 17. I checked with the Company and this is indeed correct, the reply advised that due to extremely high in bound volumes, they have had to put back collection dates. So collections are currently not at the normal day or two in advance, but a not inconsiderable 3 weeks.

I've recently been given a quote for items I have for sale, went to proceed and noted that the earliest collection date was showing as 28 Dec 17. I checked with the Company and this is indeed correct, the reply advised that due to extremely high in bound volumes, they have had to put back collection dates. So collections are currently not at the normal day or two in advance, but a not inconsiderable 3 weeks.
I've just been told the same, I wonder will the price that I've been quoted will still apply in weeks?

I've just been told the same, I wonder will the price that I've been quoted will still apply in weeks?

I decided to pull out, It would not have been collected until 28 Dec and then who knows how long to process, assess and pay for the goods, especially with New Year being within the period.

They gave me a quote on my Nikon equipment. Collected it the next day, 2 days later they sent me an email telling me that my camera sensor had a mark on it and my lenses had fungus in them, so they would not buy my lenses, and they reduced the offer on the camera by £40, which I thought reasonable for a sensor clean.
Looking in my lenses nothing can be seen, not even dust. If what they say is true wouldn't these problems show up in photo's ?.
I have taken a shot of a pure white sheet and nothing shows.

Got an ongoing debacle with them/DPD at the moment.

I ordered a Canon 22mm lens on 24th November, was due for delivery on 28th November, usual notification from DPD on 27th saying they’ll deliver tomorrow. It wasn’t delivered on the 28th, instead I got an email saying sorry it has been delayed, delivery will be on the Wednesday 29th November, and I’ll get an email with the 1 hour delivery slot. I checked the tracking and it had been at the local depot since the Tuesday morning, but after getting MPB to chase them up turned out they had a backlog due to Black Friday so couldn’t get it out in time. It was eventually delivered on the Friday, 1st Dec one week after ordering. MpB said they’d refund the next day delivery charge but still not had that as yet.

So after finally getting the delivery, took one look at the lens and knew was going to be returned - focus ring bent, had obviously been dropped/knocked quite hard, so much so that the ring wouldn’t turn without some effort. MPB apologetic again, weren’t sure how it got sent out like that but said they would refund on return, and booked DPD to collect on Wednesday, 6th December. So I arranged to work from home that day, had confirmation email from DPD that it would be collected Wednesday, and I’d get an hour slot on the day. Wednesday came and went, no hour slot, no collection. MPB spoke to DPD but could give no explanation as to why it wasn’t collected. I couldn’t work from home again so asked if I could leave it in a safe place for them to collect from on the Friday, which they agreed to, again I got a collection booked notification for the Friday. Went to work Thursday, got back to a card from DPD - sorry we missed you! No, you didn’t miss me, you missed the day - should have been yesterday! Still, had a collection booked from the safe place on the Friday. Got home Friday - parcel still in the safe place, but a card through the door, we tried to collect but you weren’t in! At this point I really don’t know who is to blame but it’s shocking service all round.

I’ve used MPB/DPD for a few years now but it really seems to be pot luck what level of service you get these days, seems to have gone downhill since they went global. Very rarely get the 1 hour delivery slot notification and never get an explanation as to why.

Oh, and just remembered - the delayed delivery was meant to be left in the shed behind the garage (instruction was clear) but DPD opted to wedge it between the garage and the shed instead!!!

5C5D723B-3CDA-4BBA-8747-8FCAAE242E75.jpeg

I had the same issue was selling 900 of fuji gear but there was a £70 canon lens I wanted. Pickup was 3 weeks for sale only, but then when I changed my mind to trade it ended up being picked up next day then delivery and payment a day later. If you trade things it happens much quicker.

I had the same issue was selling 900 of fuji gear but there was a £70 canon lens I wanted. Pickup was 3 weeks for sale only, but then when I changed my mind to trade it ended up being picked up next day then delivery and payment a day later. If you trade things it happens much quicker.
I'm after a large camera backpack for travelling to India but it must be airline carry-on compatible.

I'll take a look to see if they have anything that suits.

They gave me a quote on my Nikon equipment. Collected it the next day, 2 days later they sent me an email telling me that my camera sensor had a mark on it and my lenses had fungus in them, so they would not buy my lenses, and they reduced the offer on the camera by £40, which I thought reasonable for a sensor clean.
Looking in my lenses nothing can be seen, not even dust. If what they say is true wouldn't these problems show up in photo's ?.
I have taken a shot of a pure white sheet and nothing shows.
No, it wouldn't show up in photographs - the sensor mark not if it is in a place that usually fairly fussy in pictures (ie, not sky) and you use a large aperture normally. Fungus just won't show up in pictures at all. Its only effect will be to reduce contrast slightly (when it us not infecting other lenses).

After reading this thread I decided to offer my new and completely unused (unused as in never been mounted) Canon EF-S 15-85 to MPB. To say the offer at £225 was disappointing would be an understatement when CameraPriceBuster is showing them at £565 new. I realise that MPB need to make a profit but less than half price is pretty poor.

Looking at their listings the max price they seem to be selling them for is £319?

Looking at their listings the max price they seem to be selling them for is £319?

I appreciate that, but this is a new lens so could be listed as that at a much higher price. At £319, and allowing for costs, they would be making a healthy 30+% on the £225.

Time to sell elsewhere.

I wouldn't think that 30% is an excessive profit. It is second hand, regardless of whether you actually used it or not (and they only have your word for that). If I (as a customer) buy second hand, I expect the goods to be significantly cheaper than new or what reason do I have for taking the risks of second hand? They need to make a living profit, cover the guarantee they offer, cover establishment costs, cover staff costs and then factor in that the lens might sit on the shelves for a while before giving any return (stock on a shelf has a continuing cost implication).

I bought a Leica Q from them for £2600, asked them for a quote to buy back a few months later and it was something like £1850, I expected more and told them so, they increased the offer to £1900 saying “margins are very tight” !

I've always used MPB but their most recent valuation of some gear i was selling seemed very low, so i tried WEX and they offered a full £80 more for the same gear, although that is trade only not cash.

I bought a Leica Q from them for £2600, asked them for a quote to buy back a few months later and it was something like £1850, I expected more and told them so, they increased the offer to £1900 saying “margins are very tight” !
Were you able to get a better offer from anyone else ? If not that suggests the valuation was in line with the market.

Back