Music which moves you

Dire Straits, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Queen, Pink Floyd, Nickelback, Billy Idol, Guns n' Roses etc.

Also grew up on Synth Pop so have a soft spot for Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Yazoo, OMD etc.

There are a few songs that I play on the piano that I swear bring on some chemical change :ROFLMAO: I get a feeling of utter calm and relaxation... The Doors, Supertramp and Van Morrison. Other more upbeat ones can make me feel energised.

I have listened to and loved Gordon Lightfoot's songs for nigh on 50 years. Never mainstream, country/folk music rarely is. He had a great voice and was an accomplished guitarist. Sadly he passed away recently, he was still performing into his early 80's. He left a tremendous backlog of self-written songs. Take a few minutes to listen to this track, take note of the lyrics, simply beautiful.

Home from the forest

I have listened to and loved Gordon Lightfoot's songs for nigh on 50 years. Never mainstream, country/folk music rarely is. He had a great voice and was an accomplished guitarist. Sadly he passed away recently, he was still performing into his early 80's. He left a tremendous backlog of self-written songs. Take a few minutes to listen to this track, take note of the lyrics, simply beautiful.

Home from the forest
I saw him playing with Eric Clapton on his last tour, didn't know he was going to be there and he was excellent, as was the entire gig.
I'm not a big fan of the typical pension boosting tours as I fear the musicians will be just going through the moves, but this was far from that.
I'm not sure I know the song you linked to but will stream it when I'm home.

Loved my Metal from an early age. My tastes have changed slightly as I've grown older but I'm still heavily rock based. Prog seems to be more my thing nowadays although I do still listen to Maiden, Rainbow, Sabbath and the like.

My favourite band is Tool, a song called 46+2 is probably my favourite of all time, although, Parabola, Schism and the like are fab tracks too. Disclaimer, if you look at Tool stuff, some of it isn't for kids. Tool's lead singer also has other bands that he is involved with, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer, again, some of that stuff is not for kids.

Regarding some softer stuff, The Pineapple Thief, Porcupine Tree, Retrospective have some banging songs, softer but still proggy.

I love my rock based stuff but I do appreciate a good song/voice, no matter what the genre might be.

Not forgetting the Foo Fighters, great band, with Everlong being my favourite track of theirs.

I could go on, too many to choose from.

Last edited:
What moved me to learn to play? Hankitis!
Love the technology aspect aswell as the originality and talent from the "old man"!

What moved me to learn to play? Hankitis!
Love the technology aspect aswell as the originality and talent from the "old man"!

Back in 1975, a group of us used to drive the owner of the local music shop mad, when we tried out guitars. The top favourite tunes were Apache, Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven and the riff to Johnny B Goode. Those were the days.

Back in 1975, a group of us used to drive the owner of the local music shop mad, when we tried out guitars. The top favourite tunes were Apache, Smoke on the Water, Stairway to Heaven and the riff to Johnny B Goode. Those were the days.
Stairway to heaven in a music store? Noooooooooooooooooooo!

All my music moves me as it's on vinyl, CD, cassette, Real to Real and 8 track
I have to get up and move to change the media , Keep fit hifi :)

Reminds me o8f my Nana, who was a big Elvis fan. I used to do impressions for her when I was a kid

And a recent one, especially the video

Not long after my brother died I heard a song called 'Watching over me' by the Kris Barras Band. Its so distressingly apt for the situation I was in, and, despite being a big, burly bloke, I have no shame in admitting that tears rolled when I heard it live last year.

Most of the music I own (so 20th Century) moves me. Just that on different days it has maybe a different affect on me.

I have always felt that Paul Simon's Father and Daughter was mine and my daughters song. Until a couple of years ago when it was played at the funeral of a friend of mine, whose daughter is also one of my daughters best friends. That song now takes on a whole new meaning and can on occasions move me to tears.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQPSoRFdwg

Just posted it and find my eyes are watering

Last edited:
Not long after my brother died I heard a song called 'Watching over me' by the Kris Barras Band. Its so distressingly apt for the situation I was in, and, despite being a big, burly bloke, I have no shame in admitting that tears rolled when I heard it live last year.
Similarly for me, my brother died the Christmas that The Pretenders 2,000 miles was in the charts. My husband bought me the single as a present and I could never listen to it, it was so loaded for me.

Like many my tastes have mellowed over the years, so it's more country and folk now, than punk and indie of the past.

I have been moved (out of my chair) on several occasions :D

Screenshot (3).png

I love Hans Zimmer's productions. Incredibly talented person,

Also, this is perhaps a timeless masterpiece that will always be applicable to life:

Elgar Cello Concerto by Du Pre, Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, Anne-Sophie Mutter. Dark Side of the Moon, floyd. And many many others, vinal for preference even though I've over a thousand CD's there's still something for my aging ears about it.

Back