My 52 - Updated *Week 30 - Colour*

Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd join this and give it a go. I knew this was going to be a challenge for me as I'm on a compact[even though thats not an excuse] and I only ever photograph animals as of present. So I need the challenge anyway.

I believe this week is "opposites" so here's my *cough* attempt.
b37e52b6.jpg

There is so much wrong with this photo, I know, first of all on my camera if I want a high shutter speed flash has to be activated as it suffers with high ISO/doesn't appear without ISO and even then is a very very dull image that you can just tell NEEDS that *oomph* of light, which it doesn't get no matter the brightness :shrug:

Anyway. - I'll try and see if I have enough time to catch up on previous weeks, and look forward to the stuggle ahead :wacky: :LOL:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard...(y)

Well you got a bit of catching up but you should still be able to get some nice phots with a compact...and it will make you want a better camera as time goe's by. Not a bad start you got some nice shadow off the water drops..:clap:

Welcome to the 52. It doesn't matter what camera you're using, the aim (as far as I am concerned) is to interpret the theme for the week, and to enjoy it.

You've made a good start and you've also analysed what you could do if the camera allowed you to. You did well to get such good shadows of the water droplets.

I look forward to seeing your next week's shot. :)

btw - you know you've become hooked on this challenge when you find yourself wondering what next week will throw at you!! :LOL:

Jean

I think this fits the theme and with a compact not all that easy to pull off, which you have done imo (y)

:agree: it fits the theme well, you've got a good shot. Welcome to the 52.

Thanks very much for the comments, guys!
I shall hopefully be getting my first DSLR within the next week *grin*

Hello Shorty, welcome :wave:

I too have a point and shoot (have to wait til April for my Canon 40D *claps hands together in prayer*) however I have been joining in anyway.

i am impressed that you even understand the ISO thing as it goes right over my head at the moment!

I really liked your picture ezpecially the background to the ice (nice texture) I think that your point and shoot does well to catch falling water also.

well done:clap:

Well, this week my 'special' picture is this one.
8b0cfdf1.jpg

People who work in rescue are very special indeed, and this girl proves that. She has been beaten by both humans and dogs and is as scared as anything, slowly coming out herself and trying to enjoy life without harm coming to her anymore.

I may change this image when I go back in a couple of days, if I do.
(well I had to photograph an animal at least ONE of these weeks? :laugh1: )

And should have my DSLR in a max of 3days :clap:

Awww, what a cute dog but a sad story :( I like the lighting for the shot, it's not too bright for this photo and fits the mood perfectly.

Bet you're excited for your dSLR now! :D

Ahh thats so sad, she looks like the rotty a friend of mine is rahibilitating (simialr story). I like the mood of this photo the lighting has been used to capture it nicely.

Also as another doggy nut I always like to see doggie shots.

well done :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks for the comments guys :)
I'm quite happy with this picture considering I was in a rush and literally just stopped and clicked.

I was debating whether to post this, or one of her out the kennel, but this is a much better picture as in the kennels she is much more comfortable, and happy - outside she's so haunted and sad that she's never near you long enough for a picture. Once she plays for the first time I'll be sure to get that on camera though (y)

Just catching up with this Shorty and welcome to the 52ers :wave:

This challenge certainly makes you think doesn't it :D

I like your Opposites picture, catching the droplets of water against the grainy background, the shadows, and the number of opposites - ice/water, stationary/moving, and shiny/textured work well for the theme. :clap::clap:

The Special picture is well lit and the reflections of the cage make it look as though she is muzzled - which, psychologically, she is. Well done (y)

Your special is very sad, but a lovely photo.

I can't understand people who think it's big, clever or whatever to illtreat dogs (or any other animal) and her sad face says it all. A very well chosen shot, Shorty and I hope she gradually regains trust and learns to play.

btw - you could post dogs piccies every week for me - I'd love it. :)

Jean

Such a sad story, she looks so unhappy...

but as you said she is special...

you take a great photo, and for a compact...:clap:

can't wait to see what you can do with DSLR...

Special, is a lovely photo and a sad story with a happy ending.

*gulp* just looked at this weeks task.
I live in the countryside, there aren't exactly by any means, 'crowds' anywhere near here.

Only idea that has come to mind is try and find a 'crowd' of birds. But even thats a task here, as it's that little bit too built up for too many to appear at once.
Hmmmmm.

Your special is very sad, but a lovely photo.

I can't understand people who think it's big, clever or whatever to illtreat dogs (or any other animal) and her sad face says it all. A very well chosen shot, Shorty and I hope she gradually regains trust and learns to play.

btw - you could post dogs piccies every week for me - I'd love it. :)

Jean

No, neither me :( there were 3 of them from the same 'family' that came in, it was Mother and Daughter and we're not sure if it was father, too. But a male came in aswell. The younger one got rehomed last week, she'd had GOOD training put into her and was an absolute lovely girl, the male has been brought up to be aggressive, and then this girly is as scared as anything. :bang: idiots, real mean, idiots.

Such a sad story, she looks so unhappy...

but as you said she is special...

you take a great photo, and for a compact...:clap:

can't wait to see what you can do with DSLR...

Thank you very much :D hopefully getting it this week now, a bit of a delay!

You've made a great start to the 52 challenge, you will really enjoy a DSLR and the learning path that it will lead you down.

In a year's time you will look back at these pictures and realise how far you have gone.

I hope so, anyway! Thanks

Special, is a lovely photo and a sad story with a happy ending.

And hopefully for her even happier ending once she's in a home.

Well, I got my DSLR this morning. I had a couple of ideas, but they flew out the window. So found a few pegs and came up with this, a bit boring, but the closest to crowds I'm gonna get round here!

3289820945_309d5e4eb8.jpg

Well, that's certainly a different take on crowds. Love the colours in it (y)

Well, you've certainly stepped out of the box. I agree with Kelack that the colours in it are fantastic and you've certainly experimented with short DoF, the DSLR has definitely made a difference to your photography. I'm not sure the bit in focus is 100% sharp, could perhaps be down to camera shake, particularly large compression or even just needs a bit more unsharp mask applied.

Well - I was trying to think out of the box for my crowds shot - and failed. This IS most certainly out of the box and I think its great (if slightly soft). Good one :)

Yes a good effort to come up with this idea...
Love the colours in this shot, but a bit soft on the focus, but that will come as you get use to the new camera..:clap:

I have/had an idea that I have followed through, for this weeks task[I know it's early, I have nowt to do this week!] my only problem is my lack of PS skills completely ruining it. Not fun, now gotta think of something equally as creative but involving less PS :thinking: will see how this goes!!

I like the idea, and the colours are superb. You've gone for a narrow DOF and it's worked well

Crowds, colours matches the theme. The softness will be sorted as you get used to the camera. I spent ages sorting that problem when I got my camera and sometimes now. Nice take on the theme.

A crowd of pegs :)? Why not :)?

Its out of the (peg) box anyway :)

In broad agreement with the comments above: colours lovely, a touch soft but you did it and met the brief :) :clap:

9157e329.jpg

This was my final attempt, the first shot, and by far the best out of any idea I came up with. No flash, using the landing light, and placed the coins on the bannistar which is directly below the spotlight, I was surprised and really like the effect this gave!

Lessons learned:
1. Think, but don't over think what may be a good idea and seem like you're reaching the end, other skills let you down
2. GO PLACES With your camera
3. Don't just assume you can open Photoshop and do whatever action(S) you want/ed :LOL:
4. think outside the box, but stand inside the box - the ideas work better that way

I'd tried everything from spelling 'lack of...' with coins, to using chocolate, to trying to catch the cat playing with chocolate money, to photographing my most valued posessions :cautious:

Hi Shorty, just catching up. Agree with all the comments about the crowds picture (y)

As for Wealth, I really like the shallow DoF and the lighting you used has worked well. (y)

The composition leads the eye into the picture too :clap:

And your learning points made me laugh :LOL:

Keep it up (y)

Interesting short Shorty, and I find the shadows created by the coins very interesting. Nice lighting and good clarity on the coins. Well done :clap::clap:

Nice shot. I like the lighting, it looks like there are slots underneath the coins on edge, like a money box or something you have to feed coins into????? :clap:

Sorry, I missed your 'Crowds' shot last week. It's a better crowd than I found - and the colours are great. If this was your first go with your new camera (D40 or D40x in the end??) you did well - and I look forward to seeing lots more.

Your Wealth shot is excellent. :clap::clap: The shadows, like Grualges said, do look like slots, with the money hovering over them. Full marks for inventiveness of your product table. :LOL: I love the dof, and the only small niggle is that the bannister seems a bit cut off at the top, although I realise that you were at the mercy of the landing light. :) Also like your title - very apt. :)

I can identify with ALL your learning points. :D

Jean

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll have a twiddle with the pic in PS tomorrow, as that is it straight off cam[still not in the mind frame of having a DSLR/general editing, so am yet to sharpen any pics etc. Woops.

I hadn't seen it as slots, but now you mention it I can see what you mean!

I'm just praying to god the next few weeks arent anywhere near this hard, that and the fact I think I may be internet-less for a couple of weeks soon, I'm gonna have to have a major catch up too! Noooooooooo

And yep, D40x :D - I do wuv it

That works really well, the DOF, the hard lighting, the first thing I thought of looking at it was the shadows looked like slots (y) As has been said, the only niggle is the white balance looks a little off. (y)

Edit as promised, this is actually the natural colours, so don't know WHY it came out as it did, but now I'm not sure this gives the same effect?

fefc0bf9.jpg

Right wll just realised the date/day and about 10mins ago took this photo, some quick PP[which I didnt like but have settled for] and this is my entry for this week:eek:. Have been a bit busy this week with vet trips that I havn't as of yet done a reshoot, but if I can get something in within the next couple of days will do a reshoot too. :)

Anyway, Week 9 - Hidden Identity
c06bb412.jpg

Well, yes I think it's easy to guess what look I was going for:nono:. I wanted one those black strips across peoples eyes look, except...Improvised. I've never ever togged people before so didn't experiment or anything. Not very happy with the shot but it'll do I think. Well it'll have to :LOL:

Back