My last post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit My Images
No
This is my last proper post - then I am gone but I go offering perhaps an unique opportunity to provide help in a Q+A.

I have some time on my hands so its a long one... :)

Sorry guys and girls but this part of the forum is about sports photography. If people want to progress and rub shoulders with real sports photographers in the real world they have to learn to know what to expect.

Firstly it is a very strange profession. The muppets who get passes through minor agencies who do not pay but prey on the enthusiasm of others resulting in some attending professional football matches, I think feel that it is like the Paparazzi TV programme where it is dog eat dog. Nothing further from the truth. We live and eat and breath with one another. Spend more time with each other than our loved ones though at the end of the day are still deadly rivals. However we learn to work alongside each other and there is a very important protocol.

Most of the photographers - we laugh our socks off at those who say TOGS... where did that come from?! - are really nice human beings but we are programmed to work and work with professionalism and instinct.

If we were talking about photographing pretty churches at night using tripods then with all sincerity there would be no need to be be rude, blaspheme, be ultra critical and literally slaughter people.

Forum posters would quite rightly be banned.

However when some try and compete with the pro's in sport photography they MUST expect to receive immense amounts of criticism, stick, banter and totally understand that it's a process of learning to be mentally strong.

Either that or the pro's push the boat out and have NOTHING to do with the poor wannabe's sitting on the shoreline. You simply can not have it both ways should you seek professional help.

The truth hurts, but in a post that I consider I gave an honest but blunt remark about, I was sadly banned.

There was a complete lack of understanding, compassion and which has resulted in me leaving for good.

But I contacted the forum owners who I have reached an agreement with ... I will depart soon but so need a right of reply :

...So if someone posts a blog - and can not even realise what they have written is wrong - I am going to jump on them like they would not believe because what they have written is spectacularly idiotic, this making them an idiot.

To me that is not an insult it is using a verb to describe something that has been done with no thought or understanding or realisation.

If then people report me for being insulting then so be it... but in the real world people go to prison or at least fined tens of thousands of pounds for libel and printing untruths.

The amount of stories I know news photographers work on only for it to be pulled is incredible. The lawyers will not let anything be printed unless they are totally satisfied.

Professional writers spend a lot of time learning law and thus know what they are doing. If you write a blog you have to comply with the laws of publishing in print as it is the same.

The guy who wrote that blog is therefore an idiot because what he did was idiotic (an adjective) - so report me and ban me again.

I'm only giving sound true advice and I simply do not care if people do not like my opinion.

I am simply trying to protect him, but oh no, I called him an idiot from the adjective - not words like dumbass, kucklehead, jerk, ****** etc which are insults.

What followed was crazy.

I thought for one moment that I was in a scene out of the Life of Brian for suggesting that I had uttered the immortal words, "Jehovah".

"I dont care who he is, he is not the messiah!"

I am not harsh, nasty but just being very real.

Some people in life dont like home truths which in my book is very sad.

Perhaps yes I am sarcastic and probably come across rude and blunt, but I challenge anyone on here to survive one week in a stressful editorial newspaper or magazine office with a dictator as an editor and a picture editor that you simply want dead criticising you on your every move and picture that you produce - what's more as time moves on, you slowly realise that these so called horrible people are ALWAYS right and after years it is only natural to progress and turn yourself into them.

It's how the business is and how people are.

Thus this forum is for amateurs and the professionals will just stand back and laugh.

HOWEVER....

The people I want to cuddle and mother are the ones who listen and seek advice.

I am not an angry person but some know it alls on here need a punch in the face to bring them back to earth.

I remain anonymous on here because I can not be bothered with 20+ people sending in pointless and terrible work every month to my office. I am not in the business of preaching, I certainly do not want to be remembered when I have left this planet for being a boastful sod, but when I reply telling people what is wrong with their work, the replies that I receive are laughable.

No one learns by being told that they are brilliant when they are obviously not. And before anyone suggests I am the big I am, people in my agency always un-trash lots of my work as I do not believe it is good enough.

Standards need to be high, otherwise what is the point.

If you are young, the only way to start is work in local newspapers day in day out or work for nothing in a picture agency learning the language of photography. I wish one certain individual who quite frankly had an amazing potential career had of listened.

I lost my ego when my friend was shot dead when we were 20 playing war photographers in Croatia during the civial war. I went there all big headed knowing I could file through Reuters. However came back with a mate in a box.

I have nothing to prove, I only came on here to see if there was any good talent worth taking as new blood is always needed.

This is my point of view, take it or leave it - when I see people splashing out on 400mm lenses I shake my head in disbelief.

It is very rare to find someone who actually knows how to use it who is not a professional.

People look at Getty pictures online or newspaper images and have no idea on the process the photographer went through to get that image or set of pictures.

Everyone nowadays seems to copy pictures with no understanding on what they are doing. Thats when you get ripped apart in the real world during the process of learning as it is the only way. Only reading law do you become a lawyer. With photography it is a language and it takes years to understand and master. And then you need to learn how to use the language like an interpreter.

You only learn by making mistakes and having a mentor pushing you and then punishing you for it. The highs and lows are immense. Only the best survive.

There are hardly any creative people who stand out anymore.

Everyone seems to be bland.

All this nonsense of buying 70-200mm lenses for football makes me chuckle.

Get a 50mm 1.4 and be CREATIVE under terrible floodlights - stop trying to reproduce what you see taken at Old Trafford. That is what photography is all about : USE YOUR EYES. Capture shapes, record what you see.

Picture editors see thousands of bland pictures every week. You have to stand out to have a chance.

THINGS I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS FORUM :

1 - the immoral judging

What professionals HATE with a passion is a jumped up know it all who sadly judges others on their equipment. Today I shot the India football team playing v South Korea. I was the only European photographer therebut there were a couple of Indians with 85mm lenses, but holding their cameras properly and showing the ability that suggested that they had an eyes for a picture, when I saw their work it made me feel ashamed at what I had produced today.

I have challenged some on here for such suggestions, some of the smarty pants replied that they were only joking - yer whatever.

What matters are pictures, pictures and pictures.

He has sadly passed away now but there was a photographer called Peter Jay. He worked for the Daily Star producing the editorial work that they required of him. He eventually left to go to the Independent when they paper was black and white and meant something. His work was stunning. He surprised most including myself as we did not think we had it in him.

2 - no one is creative

I actually DREAM of being at a non-league ground where I can express myself with a wide angle lens.

Look at the stunning work of HANS VAN DER MEER _ get his book.

LOOK AND BLOODY LEARN. Someone sending in images like this or their own creative take stands a bigger chance than someone sending in shockingly cropped images, horizons all over the place and images that are basically terrible - but they think they are good because they are in focus!

3 - people who think it is easy

The consistant standards required will AMAZE most of you.

What I can not understand is why people spend so much of their hard earnt money on lenses and simply do not have a clue how to use them.

If I purchased a helicopter I would have to invest hugely in lessons and have a mentor.

When I suggest running a course for £4,000 a year I got insults! Woo Hoo, I have caused a reaction, I like challenging people and getting a reaction but please tell me HOW someone will learn to be a rally driver without advanced and proper instruction?

4 - wishy washy sandal wearing liberals who go running to teacher because of an insult. Mental strength is everything.

Teaching someone to become a football photographer is about 60% mental attitude and understanding yourself in order to cope.

Try getting a superb image at a FA Cup final like I did of Freddie Ljungburg of Arsenal scoring only for Michael Owen to score the winner at the other end resulting in your image never seeing the light of day and going home thinking that your day has been wasted regardless of your top quality work. The mental strength needed is immense as I say. Most of the time you end up going home depressed and peed off. The job is not nice. It is not fun. Try going to Milan every weekend for 14 months. You HATE airports, security staff, taxi drivers only to work in a superb theatre which after 2-3 visits is just another workplace. And thats before you have even put a roll of film in your camera.

I dispair when I see people checking the back of their cameras and looking at LCD screens.

SHOOT MANUALLY and learn everything about your camera from white balance to metering so that you dont have to keep bloody checking.

HAVE FAITH IN YOUR EYE - anything else will result in certain failure.

5 - Those who do not listen and think that they know it all

The most frustrating thing for me is that people simply do not listen and think they know it all.

I was once sent to photograph an outside of a hospital three times before it was good enough.

I have been teaching photographers for 10 years now. Only two have made it. Most gave up. Those two now work on Fleet Street and I am proud of them.

I could write a 40,000 page book about football photography but as I have stated, the only way to learn is to make mistakes and be slaughtered for it.

6- those who give away their work for free

They lack love and passion in their life and need comforting from seeing their work published which will get commented on by back slappers from Flickr viewers who know absolutely nothing about right or wrong.

Get them on my counselling couch.

Speak to Kippax PLEASE. He understands.

Newspapers and publishers are businesses.

People buy newspapers and advertisers pay big money to advertise in them. Therefore why give pictures away for free? Credits and bylines do not pay the bills at Tesco or cloth the kids. So what if you earn £60k selling Mercedes cars, does that mean I can drive away with the latest S320 with out paying?

Professionals are business people. I so need a new sales person but no one wants to sell pictures anymore - only be the big I am and think it is cool to walk around Old Trafford with a 600mm when realistically those at Old Trafford dont want to be there!

I know for sure THREE newspaper editors who invoiced their employee for images from photographers submitting their work for free. Perhaps it has changed now as some genuinely do not have budgets, but quite simply go to the bloody kit sponsor and get money from them instead and THEN give the pictures away, but for Gods sake EARN something for your endeavours.

(no doubt the religious will ban me for taking the Lords name in vain, but I speak with passion.)

7 - showing no respect

Photography is a HARD HARD business.

Shooting on a manual focus lens getting 33 frames sharp out of 36 on a roll of film was an immense skill.

Providing images editors WANT and not what a photographer thinks is right is a challenge too. Everyone in the industry respects each other.

All I hear from outsiders is slagging off PA, Getty etc.

Those people are weak who have issues with themselves and do not feel comfortable about the fact that they are not good enough or succeeding.

No one likes a big head. Just be yourself and quietly go about your business, otherwise you wont make it and will be despised.

On a sour note, some have turned up at major sporting events and have caused so much havoc, it has resulting in people being paid to be there not being able to work properly. Sadly I fear regulations will change in the future. If you stop a national newspaper photographer from working, people get to know about it.

...we all have long memories.

8 - get back to basics

Composition

Rule of Thirds

Horizons

Myself and another photographer looked through some websites that you have. About 75% of the pictures could have been improved with simple things like getting horizons straight and uprights upright.

Lazy cropping is a sin and shows no basic understanding of pictures - and indeed why crop? Shoot full frame and crop in camera.

-------

my departing words

My hobby is understanding people, if I was not a photographer I would be a psychiatrist.

I understand most of you.

I can pigeon hole most of you.

Some I want to smack in the face.

Some I want to cuddle and nurture.

There are other professionals on here who actually want to give something back and get pleasure out of teaching but sadly there are too many wishy washy sandal wearing liberals who do not like being told home truths and basically can not hack criticism.

Thus we must depart and leave you alone as apparently some people can not stand insults, the truth, being knocked back.

Apparently to some, the world is full of fluffy pink bunny rabbits where everything is nice and lovely.

Like I said, to the religious and those who shoot stain glassed windows, they command respect.. but NOT IN SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY! Not when people WANT and ASK for help but then don't like the advice that they receive.

Some have my email address so they can continue getting advice.

Im not being cocky but I came on here , apart for one other private reason which some know about - I wondered if there was any new talent knocking about.

I only sadly rate 2-3 of you.

But take that as a challenge.

But that is down to two reasons - I see no one putting their money down in wanting to be educated and the other being simply not creative enough. But it is the same in rock music. Only the creative survive, the ones who churn out new songs, or revamp old ones making them better or making them appeal to a new audience. The same with authors, only those with the best novels get published.

...so as agreed by the forum manager....

For a one off...

post any questions about football photography and I will gladly answer as best as I can.

You have 48 hours.

...then I'm off.

I would appreciate no remarks about what I have written, only please reply in putting a question or two down should you want advice, help or ask me something.

I totally respect those who simply want to enjoy photography as a hobby but those who 'pretend' to be sport photographers and then go moaning because of not liking home truths from professionals - sorry you have ruined it for everyone and I am too busy to be caught up in an exchange of words.

Either I should not be here, or others need to not remark and go elsewhere. I am off. Happy snapping and the next person to use the term TOG gets a black eye. Seriously, seriously, seriously - I have done this for a living for 20+ years now. I have NEVER hard the term TOG apart from on crappy forums. Sorry but it gets under my skin and for my own mental health I need to get it out. Thank you.

Keep the forum master sweet, he seems to be a nice happy and understanding person x

I have a question.

Do all sports togs have such a strong sense of self importance?

Black eye for you!;)

Soccersnapper: Interesting post, I have no interest in sports photography but if I did, you would be the guy I'd want as a mentor. Sure some will say your post comes accross that you're up your own arse or something, but I have confidence from your post(s)that you know the score. (No pun intended.)

As a keen amateur photographer, who has a passion for football (played local football for 25 years and still play veteran football every other Sunday). I have no interest in making a living from sports photography but would like to give something back.

My question is, if you could only give me one piece of advice what would it be?

I spend a good chunk of my spare time looking through the papers seeing what sort of shots get published and also I root through Getty to see what they are sending in for inspiration and guidance.

Above you mention Peter Jay and also the book by Hans Van Der Meer my questions are, which photographers have greatly influenced your work. Also which 5 professionals photographers who are working today should we follow for inspiration for our own work.

thanks for this.

As a keen amateur photographer, who has a passion for football (played local football for 25 years and still play veteran football every other Sunday). I have no interest in making a living from sports photography but would like to give something back.

My question is, if you could only give me one piece of advice what would it be?

simple - shoot what you see

...if your eye leads you to a muddy patch with stud marks implanted then take a picture.

You know what it is like being on a windy pitch, so shoot as though you are describing through photography for someone on the otherside of the world what you experience.

After all, photography is the ultimate communication tool. Who needs words!?

I spend a good chunk of my spare time looking through the papers seeing what sort of shots get published and also I root through Getty to see what they are sending in for inspiration and guidance.

Above you mention Peter Jay and also the book by Hans Van Der Meer my questions are, which photographers have greatly influenced your work. Also which 5 professionals photographers who are working today should we follow for inspiration for our own work.

thanks for this.

When I was at college I liked Tony Duffy but I never really had an idol, I just learnt from traveling around the world seeing how different photographers from different cultures worked. If you have friends going to Tokyo or Seoul, get them to bring back a few football magazines.

I dont know about 5 sport photographers, but one is a legend in rock photography : anton corbijn

My dear friend Reinaldo Coddou has just released another amazing book:

I am sure you can get it from the normal places on the internet.

http://auswaertssieg.schalkewelt.in...es-die-welthauptstadt-des-fusballs/#more-5978

Get the Visions of Sport books by the old agency Allsport. You can get them for pennies on Amazon. They are treasures too.

Hope this answers the question!

5 was a finger in the air number.

Thank you for that. I already have people in states who bring me sports illustrated when they come to visit and I spent a lot of time in France hours I spend looking at the shots in L'equipe. As my French is shocking it really is true that I'm just looking at the pictures.

Thanks for your help again.

Who the hell do you think you are?

You come across as a self imposed master, Lord of all he surveys, you may well be at the top of your field, but giving out commands and assuming that you have the right to vent your spleen without any response, is total madness.

You have made some very valid points in your post, things that lots of people can learn from. Hopefully more than the 2 in 10 years of teachings that you strangely boast about. You also have some great anecdotes of your time cutting your teeth. It's a blind vision built upon your chosen profession, I too have lost a good friend, crushed under a truck he was working on. It happens, life is like that. It's not in the confines of your world. We come across the people you talk about in every single walk of life, every single profession, photography is not unique.

To be quite honest, it's refreshing to get someone like you on here, there are things to learn and things to teach. Maybe you should have gone silent from the start, do what you came to do and find the special one, and slipped out the door. Making a huge impact on your arrival then crying off as it's not your cup of tea is the sign of a weak, shallow character, you may be a leader in your day job, but here, you're a teaboy.

I know next to nothing about photography, I know enough about people to know who I want stood by my side. You could have been great, you dissapointed.

Close the door on the way out.

Phil.

Helen - not wanting to hijack the thread but if you want a translator to take with you, I'm willing!!!!:LOL:

Have I missed something :thinking:

Surely a forum with such a large and wide & varied set of members needs to be considered before gong off on one... :shake:

You come across as a self imposed master, Lord of all he surveys, you may well be at the top of your field, but giving out commands and assuming that you have the right to vent your spleen without any response, is total madness.

You have made some very valid points in your post, things that lots of people can learn from. Hopefully more than the 2 in 10 years of teachings that you strangely boast about. You also have some great anecdotes of your time cutting your teeth. It's a blind vision built upon your chosen profession, I too have lost a good friend, crushed under a truck he was working on. It happens, life is like that. It's not in the confines of your world. We come across the people you talk about in every single walk of life, every single profession, photography is not unique.

To be quite honest, it's refreshing to get someone like you on here, there are things to learn and things to teach. Maybe you should have gone silent from the start, do what you came to do and find the special one, and slipped out the door. Making a huge impact on your arrival then crying off as it's not your cup of tea is the sign of a weak, shallow character, you may be a leader in your day job, but here, you're a teaboy.

I know next to nothing about photography, I know enough about people to know who I want stood by my side. You could have been great, you dissapointed.

Phil.

I am not weak but I am no master and certainly class others above me and I may be in the same division but not at the top of my field.

Masters are those who have shot 9 World Cup Finals. I have a long way to go.

It is some of the people on here who are weak however like as you quite rightly say we experience that in all walks of life. Sadly some of them will never accomplish their dreams, so surely isn't it best to tell the truth and be damned for it?

You see, some seek advice but then do not like what they are told. Instead all they crave for is some back slapping by those who are equally in the dark.

Sad really.

Then, upon a worried soul (me) giving a short sharp bit of finger pointing over an important issue, the wishy washy weak keyboard warriors go squealing to the mighty moderators who thus ban me.

They feel it is right to publish libellous things about people but can not take being labelled by constructive English verbs aimed at themselves.

Thus, time to get out Phil - or set up my own masterclass and be a Simon Cowell, equally hated and despised by the masses, but loved by the ones who appreciate a bit of truth.

But why go quietly.... why not go out with a bang and possibly offer some help to those who appreciate it. I have done more than offer help in the past to others and had it firmly thrown in my face. Its not a nice feeling. So have 5 other football photographers with about 22 World Cups to the collective name but who are fed up of wanting to help others now after bad experiences.

But as one gets older, one becomes more aware of those who helped one and a sense of humbleness descends on to the soul and a desire appears to repay karma and give out teachings like a wise old man.

Yet, Im not even 40 though.

Totally ashamed that you feel I am full of self importance Sir. I dont like myself at the best of times and certainly do not want to be seen as self important. YUK

However, opinions are created by ones criteria of knowledge. I think you would be surprised if you knew the whole story Phil.

I can see your comfortability levels are not as demanding as some. You seem to be a top man.

Strangely you comment on asking who hell I think I am in I sense a mocking fashion, then bizarrely treat me with three complements.

You have made me smile. I like smiling. Have a cup of tea.

Is that 2 sugars sir?

Have I missed something :thinking:

Surely a forum with such a large and wide & varied set of members needs to be considered before gong off on one... :shake:

You have missed a lot - We are on Series 6 of the box set now I think.

Its does not relate to the forum kind Sir, its the sports photography section. I am only giving some pointers as I sincerely do not want to see others get into trouble.

But it's OK, you the world is still spinning even though Kodak have stopped making slide film

I now have had 2 replies when I only kindly asked for questions.

I love the psychology of some - Perhaps if I say please do not send me any cash that in fact some may do and make me rich :cool:

I now have had 2 replies when I only kindly asked for questions.

I love the psychology of some - Perhaps if I say please do not send me any cash that in fact some may do and make me rich

Yeah yeah! But a person with your knowledge knew that this wouldn't be the case! ;)

I got as far as the 5th paragraph, scanned the next 5 and skipped to the end, mainly because I found it boring and pathetic.

You were banned, big deal, either get over it and stay or shut up and leave, no one really cares.

As for questions, I thought 'goodbye' posts were banned?

I got as far as the 5th paragraph, scanned the next 5 and skipped to the end, mainly because I found it boring and pathetic.

You were banned, big deal, either get over it and stay or shut up and leave, no one really cares.

I don't shoot sports and neither do I want to, but I do think this guy can help those interested in this field of photography.

One bloke, who is in my field of the photography is Damien McGillcuddy. Read his blog and stuff and Iknow many will think he is arrogant or up his own arse. Speak to anyone who has been on a mentoring / training course with him they will tell you he's not called the Big Dog for nothing.

One day I hope to meet him.

For one that has a dislike for football such as me, I obviously have no desires to go to a match and take pictures, however I do feel that just from reading your post that you have much more to offer than just football, its a real shame that you have decided to leave the site, I'm new and even newer to using a camera but I do respect and take on board what people say, be they my equal or my better, and those who make a living from it to me have what it takes and if they are willing to pass on their experience so much the better.

I don't know you and propably never will (my loss) but I hope you do come back and pass on your help and advice, I'll take note for sure, take care and be safe

Anyone on here that truly wants to help someone is a valued asset in my eyes, and having another scan though the OP makes some very good points, even if there are some preachy & condescending bits in there. This thread really reminds me of one of 'those' wedding photography threads.

My issue lies with the whole "my final post because I was banned" issue, it doesn't really fit in with the "4 - wishy washy sandal wearing liberals who go running to teacher because of an insult. Mental strength is everything."

Surly it would be mental strength to acknowledge the reason behind the ban, accept it and move on.

The op is, if his post is to be believed, intelligent and experienced, and if that is true, the whole "last post" doesn't sit right with me. Oh, and OP, how long have you been a sports TOG? :p j/k

On a side note, perhaps if you were really interested in helping people with your 20+ years of experience, perhaps turning this in to a decent guide/tutorial would be a good place to start.

Last edited:
please actually read...
soccersnapper said:
...so as agreed by the forum manager....

you sports guys better take advantage of this, and ask the right questions, if you care about your craft and business...some people out there would give their right arm for this q&a...

soccersnapper: Shame to see you go, I'm no sports photographer (commercial & working on editorial...) but lurk here- some great advice and opportunities for the right people in this forum, sadly all too often wasted.

Questions:
- what advice (other than taking rejection well...) would you give when approaching agencies or prospective clients (of any variety) for representation and/or image distribution?
- the colleagues of yours who you have seen either succeed or fail long term... were there any common characteristics among the two groups? What traits would you identify as most important to have or not have, or to develop and work on, for a long career in photography?
- And finally, if you can spare the time, and do so without breaking your anonymity, tell us a story. Professional photography is a tough but amazing career - so tell us the story behind an awesome shot, something cool that you witnessed, something you got to experience because you had a camera in your hand.

Cheers, nice having you here.

Last edited:
Finally something to get my teeth into....

- what advice (other than taking rejection well...) would you give when approaching agencies or prospective clients (of any variety) for representation and/or image distribution?

Be totally aware on what service THEY offer to THIER clients. Photography is an individual pursuit but unless you are taking pictures to put on the walls of your own home, someone else must also like them to make a sale. If I produce 100 pictures from a game the Japanese agents always take a different 30 from the Dutch and the Swiss take another 30 and the Germans only 20. You HAVE to understand what each wants - be it editorially or commercially.

- the colleagues of yours who you have seen either succeed or fail long term... were there any common characteristics among the two groups?

Falling in love
Despite encouragement, not having the courage to keep going and fell when there were many more hurdles to over come

What traits would you identify as most important to have or not have, or to develop and work on, for a long career in photography?

Above all else, LISTEN. LIsten to the old fuddy duddies. Listen to the people you hate and can not stand.
Understand yourself and your work. Learn to accept when your work is terrible and do not accept praise when you do not think it is worthy.
Apart from that, Madness and Be who you want to be and do what you want to do.

- And finally, if you can spare the time, and do so without breaking your anonymity, tell us a story. Professional photography is a tough but amazing career - so tell us the story behind an awesome shot, something cool that you witnessed, something you got to experience because you had a camera in your hand.

I was in Tallin when Scotland beat Estonia 3-0 when the Estonia team did not turn up. That was amazing, that story would take up a chapter in an autobiography.

Exciting things happen EVERYWHERE. You just have to see them.

I get lots of stick from people when I say I have not yet taken a picture I really am proud of. However I am lucky in that I know the lead singer very well from my favorite rock group and he says there are plenty more songs in him yet, so I take homage in what he says and believes.

Perhaps when I get THE image, then perhaps it will be time to hang up my camera. I dont know! Its very pompous and rock and roll thing to say you have no awesome shot but hand on heart they are all 'OK' but not brilliant. Just like a great footballer comments on Match of the Day, "i just hit it and it went in" often the fan wants to hear more than that, but sometimes that is all there is to say.

Now wrong with shooting pretty churches at night with a tripod!!

To be fair, you have gone on a bit, and I don't really see the point. You take your job seriously, work is work. You made a comment on here, someone complained and you have been banned. Well if you insulted them, I can understand it, and maybe you are at fault for being insulting, there are plenty of ways to crit without being rude.

You know what you are talking about, however, and obviously have much experience at your profession, and can understand your gripes about new togs coming through and not doing things in a professional manner. However, this is an internet forum, not the world of work, and it is not life and death, and you do come across as a very arrogant person in your opening peice.

I think your doing the right thing by this thread though, so respect for that. However I think your attitude is stuck in the past, and you need to think about that.

I don't shoot sports, so don't have a question for you. If I was starting out in your field, I don't think you would be the person i would choose as a mentor, as though the advice you have is sound, your manner (on here) is not one condusive to a productive relationship.

All the best.

Wow

I'm in two minds regarding your post.

On the one hand I find it slightly bitter and twisted and whilst I may be slightly offended as a TP forum member - there's an underlying tone which makes me think you're not that way inclined.

Last edited:
Having spoken privately to soccer I understand why he's doing what he is doing. I think the OP comes across in a manner that it is not intended to but is meant with the aim of helping people.

I don't shoot sports, so don't have a question for you. If I was starting out in your field, I don't think you would be the person i would choose as a mentor, as though the advice you have is sound, your manner (on here) is not one condusive to a productive relationship.

Why comment on something made on assumption? Perhaps I have written too much, but if you want to be a lawyer, you read law. If you want to be a carpenter you learn to make things out of wood. Being a photographer is not about grades and reading books, it is about learning a language. Learning a language that makes you look, see and understand things that others do not see.

Learning from someone else is not about making friends or having a productive relationship. It is about having the skill to know when to knock someone down and have the ability to bring them back up again. Working under immense pressure is all about working with instinct, just like driving a car - changing gear, steering and looking in the mirror without even thinking.

I have shot the past 4 World Cup Finals and got all of the goals. Ask me how I do it, I dont have an answer, I just do. Ask someone how they speaks French to Arabic to German to English - they just do because they have learnt and programmed their brain.

Every year 12 photojournalist scholars leave the National Council for the Training of Journalists under a man who I can not stand. I am not alone. We all hate him with a passion. But he recently retired and had about 80 photographers come to pay respects including some from other countries. When he dies like many I will be crying my eyes out.

Some photography professions are not nice. I would not expect ANYONE to like their mentor in sport or news photography after a few months. If they are not making their pupils life hell, they are not doing their job properly.

I believe a good mentor is someone who the pupil hates but equally would run 10 miles for. A third of the job was learning to process and print. Sadly thats all gone now. Thus 40-60% is about mental strength, understanding, knowing your limits and preparing yourself for failure, coping with pressure so there is no pressure. Putting yourself under pressure when you feel relaxed. Its a game, you have to know the rules and know how to win. Otherwise you fail in spectacular fashion.

If you still don't get it, try imagining explaining why you have no picture for a national newspaper good enough for the back page after 8 minutes of play. The picture editor does not want to hear excuses, ifs and buts, he only wants pictures on his desk. You have to prepare yourself for everything. Most things you encounter are not nice and thus it is best in my opinion and others that you are mentored by an absolute ****. But you equally love them at the same time. Am I painting a clearer picture?

PS sometimes I wish I could be out shooting churches with a tripod but sadly after a hard days work, the last thing I want to do is take pictures for myself, which I admit is a shame. Another trait of this seemingly great job.

:love:

Does this help you understand or even change your point of view? if not ASK.. or freely admit you are not the type of person who can shoot dead people in car crashes with out feeling anything or see Man U score the winning goal and stay calm and produce excellence despite inside you are jumping for joy or equally want to thump Wayne Rooney. Just like a marksman, you have to learn to clear your mind and shoot with instinct. I keep saying it , it is a language and until people start to understand it, it is often impossible to even understand what I am waffling on about!

That's quite a post. I am interested in your help and advice but bizarrely can't think of any decent questions at the moment which you haven't already covered.

Is Football/Soccer the only sport you shoot?

Can we have this thread stickied please.

My questions are. Do you feel that the advent of digital photography has lowered the standards of Images being produced?

Has Digital lowered the level of skill required?

Is Football/Soccer the only sport you shoot?

I do not consider myself to be a sports photographer. No way. I did the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 and after 3 days of doing just swimming, quite openly I was crying myself to sleep every night. I was 25. Only after going to a travel agents to buy a flight home did my boss put me on womens football. I then tried some gymnastics, got a passion for rhythmic gymnastics and won some awards for my work that week.

I hate athletics. Have no time for Rugby Union. I have done a few cricket tours in the past but the markets have changed thus its not worth my while doing it.

So its just football. Some say good some say not so good. I say good because I am a specialist and am known for just football.

Im not saying I can not or dont have the talent to do other things but I quite simply dont want to! Why be a bus driver if you want to be a gardener. Saying you are a photographer is almost like saying you want a job. There are SO MANY different types and aspects of it.

Football photography is not only about shooting action, it is about documentary, feature and architecture photography too. Recording what you see, communicating to others what a football match is like in Germany compared to England, documenting stadiums. The hardest aspect is probably what most think is the easiest - creating postcard type images of football stadiums. Utterly impossible. Someone ALWAYS has something better.

Good question, I liked that one (y)

Andy's question could provoke a seriously interesting and intemperate debate.

There's some seriously valuable info in your posts once it's distilled, so for that alone, thanks.

My question isn't directly sports related but more going back to your roots, although given your answer about the NCTJ I might hazard a guess.

What is your own view as to the value of the LCC's BA/MA in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography in today's media given the over saturation of the market?

Can we have this thread stickied please.

My questions are. Do you feel that the advent of digital photography has lowered the standards of Images being produced?

Has Digital lowered the level of skill required?

100% yes Andy - standards are dropping.

WHY? because everything is too fast, too instant, people no longer have time to learn, LOOK and let things sink in.

For every hour a photographer spent in a helicopter, there were 10 hours in a darkroom. For a football photographer, unless you were a top newspaper boy, you would spend hours developing, choosing which image to print, then putting the neg in the enlarger, framing it then printing it. THEN seeing the magical moment it appeared in the dev. You would WATCH it appear for 90 seconds or so. That image would be drawn into your brain. It was like learning a new foreign word. Eventually a beginner would get more proficient in ALL fields - shooting, metering, focussing, processing and developing.

Now it is just shooting. I am amazed at how many use auto exposure. By all means drive an automatic car, but UNDERSTAND how and what the gears do.
Ok I sometimes use auto modes, but I know my camera. I know what 18% grey is.

I believe on screen it is more harder to learn how to produce magical pictures. Pictures with shape, composition and imagination. Picture technicians crop quickly but only because they have done it 100,000 times. Again for the fear of knocking, firstly people do not in my opinion understand how to use their lenses and secondly dont 'get' pictures - at least that is what I feel from my experience.

German, Italian, Japanese and French photographers all share the same opinion. Creating a photograph was a work of art. It took time to master printing one picture. Now you can shoot 1000 pictures in half an hour in RAW and get photoshop to auto save them whilst you are having a bath.

Its hard to conclude but Id go by saying back to basics again - people don't look through the viewfinder like they used to! And people only used to look through it like they did in the past because they were slowly developing their brains to 'see' pictures - walking through towns, seeing shapes, composing the outside world with car window frames, seeing a pretty girl cross the street and going "CLICK" in your head when she passed that amazing step, passing through a Roman Third making a work of art in your head.

All this is to do with the language. So vital in any part of photography. Football especially. People think its about action and having a 400mm lens are simply wrong in my opinion. You have to learn the language before you can be an interpreter as I keep saying.

Equally if I was to boast, I was an excellent colour printer. I last printed a picture in 1999. I used to earn £800 a month selling pictures and spent about £1000 on paper and chemicals. It is a lost trade.

Dont start me off on autofocus! Give someone an F3 and a manual 400 or 600 and that certainly separates the men from the boys. It took me 4-5 years of doing football 3-4 nights a week before I was any good. My any good was 28 frames sharp on a roll of 36. Some of the best were getting 34! Though I excelled at using a 600mm and had problems getting wide angles sharp!

Synthesisers enhanced music. I dont think autofocus enhanced sports photography at all.

This is where I am bitter and twisted. Manually focussing and printing and processing was the skill and the challenge. Anyone could go to Boots with a roll of film, it was not everyone who could turn around a dry to processed negative in 5 minutes when the instructions said 8 - and then suggested 20 minutes drying. Thats when newspapers paid big money for pictures. Now it has become all too easy with lots not knowing what they are really doing.

As I said, photography is now all too quick and instant.

Andy's question could provoke a seriously interesting and intemperate debate.

There's some seriously valuable info in your posts once it's distilled, so for that alone, thanks.

My question isn't directly sports related but more going back to your roots, although given your answer about the NCTJ I might hazard a guess.

What is your own view as to the value of the LCC's BA/MA in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography in today's media given the over saturation of the market?

I will answer this like a politician and sneak around the question, but equally try and give a direct answer!

I used to work in a big newspaper. Even in the early 90s we had many people want to be photographers. Myself and the chief had a book. We inputted names of peoples who wrote in, but we never read their lettes. Some would write twice. Some would telephone. Some would actually come into the office and show some balls. It was mostly these people who made the grade.

WHY? I disagree that you can simply judge and mark photography. I have seen people with amazing A level grades who can not take a picture to save their life. I have come across people who have OK grades, have OK pictures to show but what makes them stand out is a desire to learn, a personality that would get a photograph off a bereaved mother of her dead son to making a crying Brownie the happiest little Princess in the world enabling them to take a cute picture to go on the front page. Someone with a desire to knock on doors with personality. You can not get that marked in grades.

Not because I did it and therefore it is right, but for me the only way to learn is to be an apprentice. This is at newspapers and also at photo agencies. Bosses have their fingers on the pulse. If a lecturer is that good, what is he doing teaching students?! Work experience is vital. Id honor someone who did 3 weeks of summer break at their local rag over someone who got to do a stint at The Guardian any day of the week.

The LCC course is only of value if the end product is successful. I dont know many scholars with amazing college grades who became photographers - probably society wanted them to do cosmetic surgery or pull people's teeth out!

I would class such courses as stepping stones, but equally for parents, it is not about social boasting that Billy got a 1.2 grade but now works in a call centre... they must realise that the successful anchor woman probably ran off with a TV producer and bunked class and got to know everyone in the office before she got her big break.

It is making the most of the opportunity the course provides and not necessarily getting great grades at the end of it.

Grades dont get jobs.

Knowing people and selling and proving yourself does.

Is there many opportunities these days to be an apprentice or getting work experience with papers or agencies without going through the education route (university)?

If somebody does something idiotic then they ACTED like an idiot AT THAT TIME. I'm afraid you have confused someone's actions with themselves. It's an easy mistake the ego makes. Enjoy your life.

Phil.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

After reading this thread, all I want to do now is throw all my gear out the window...

Some of the responses here have been a little disappointing. I would wholeheartedly agree with all that's been said by Soccersnapper, in his original post and in the replies he has taken the time to send.

I think this should be stickied as it should serve as a wake-up call to a lot of people on TP. Not just the Talk Sports section...but throughout.

If you do find it insulting, then don't read it. If I find the Daily Mail to be insulting for example, then the wisest thing is not to read it. No-one is forcing you to read threads or posts here.

A more reasoned and sensible discourse would be much more welcome here. There are plenty of people here who do have advice to offer...and for the vast majority, they offer their advice because it's also their experience. I can't think of anyone here who offers advice that they themselves haven't done at some point in their career.

It's also worth remembering that more reasonable discourse is quite a good idea when you aren't sure who you're being rude to. Soccersnapper has quite understandably not given his name here, and he's not the only one who plays down their "real life" on here...the next person you're insulting could well be the picture editor you're asking for a job from, or the photographer sat next to you on a wet and windy Saturday.

we felt that Soccersnapper had some good points to make and some good, solid, helpful advice and knowledge to impart. we're a bit disappointed he's decided to leave anyway, but for the record, if the Queen came on here and told someone they were an idiot in the same way that led to the suspension, she'd catch 3 days off too.

PLEASE take a moment to consider the question you can ask, if the man wants to give advice, I suggest taking the opportunity.

Why comment on something made on assumption? Perhaps I have written too much, but if you want to be a lawyer, you read law. If you want to be a carpenter you learn to make things out of wood. Being a photographer is not about grades and reading books, it is about learning a language. Learning a language that makes you look, see and understand things that others do not see.

Learning from someone else is not about making friends or having a productive relationship. It is about having the skill to know when to knock someone down and have the ability to bring them back up again. Working under immense pressure is all about working with instinct, just like driving a car - changing gear, steering and looking in the mirror without even thinking.

I have shot the past 4 World Cup Finals and got all of the goals. Ask me how I do it, I dont have an answer, I just do. Ask someone how they speaks French to Arabic to German to English - they just do because they have learnt and programmed their brain.

Every year 12 photojournalist scholars leave the National Council for the Training of Journalists under a man who I can not stand. I am not alone. We all hate him with a passion. But he recently retired and had about 80 photographers come to pay respects including some from other countries. When he dies like many I will be crying my eyes out.

Some photography professions are not nice. I would not expect ANYONE to like their mentor in sport or news photography after a few months. If they are not making their pupils life hell, they are not doing their job properly.

I believe a good mentor is someone who the pupil hates but equally would run 10 miles for. A third of the job was learning to process and print. Sadly thats all gone now. Thus 40-60% is about mental strength, understanding, knowing your limits and preparing yourself for failure, coping with pressure so there is no pressure. Putting yourself under pressure when you feel relaxed. Its a game, you have to know the rules and know how to win. Otherwise you fail in spectacular fashion.

If you still don't get it, try imagining explaining why you have no picture for a national newspaper good enough for the back page after 8 minutes of play. The picture editor does not want to hear excuses, ifs and buts, he only wants pictures on his desk. You have to prepare yourself for everything. Most things you encounter are not nice and thus it is best in my opinion and others that you are mentored by an absolute ****. But you equally love them at the same time. Am I painting a clearer picture?

PS sometimes I wish I could be out shooting churches with a tripod but sadly after a hard days work, the last thing I want to do is take pictures for myself, which I admit is a shame. Another trait of this seemingly great job.

:love:

Does this help you understand or even change your point of view? if not ASK.. or freely admit you are not the type of person who can shoot dead people in car crashes with out feeling anything or see Man U score the winning goal and stay calm and produce excellence despite inside you are jumping for joy or equally want to thump Wayne Rooney. Just like a marksman, you have to learn to clear your mind and shoot with instinct. I keep saying it , it is a language and until people start to understand it, it is often impossible to even understand what I am waffling on about!

I appreciate your answer, however My opinion is that you can have a perfectly civilised relationship with someone and be able to learn and develop. I am one of those people who responds better to the carrot, rather than the stick. I have done 20 hour days and 80 hour weeks and am not shy of hard work. I have worked with people who act like ***** and sorry, I just don't respond well to that. I appreciate that is the way that you learnt, and that is how your industry is. I just feel that whilst that method has got you where you are, it is not best for everyone and that you could have potentially put off the best of your students by this attitude? I may be wrong, but having mentored, trained, interviewed and employed plenty of people understand that everyone of them is different, and what works with one of them to get them inspired and motivated won't work with them all.

I admire your drive and your success, and do find your posts interesting, you are starting to thaw out a little!

And I only mentioned the church cos that was the last thing I post on here, both on Saturday and Monday!

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back