My Olympus and Om systems bird photos and maybe a few with my Canon system

some very nice shots there. BUT if you go into the talk equipment thread there is already a section for olympus cameras and lenses +photos . this section is for individual shots of birds

Last edited:
BUT if you go into the talk equipment thread there is already a section for olympus cameras and lenses +photos . this section is for individual shots of birds
Talk yes, but the thread poster wants a thread to post his images of birds in the bird section.
This section is not just for individual birds, the poster may post as many images in his thread as he sees fit.

I've already had PM asking for clarification, and I've told him its fine where it is.

Well, some superb images already, so keep up the good work @The Useless Snapper because you are clearly not what your moniker suggests!

oops my mistake .but its usually a few shots per post . not a individuals personal showcase .but your forum your rules .

oops my mistake .but its usually a few shots per post . not a individuals personal showcase .but your forum your rules .
There are no rules regarding this, if you take a look at other forums you will see lots of personal threads with images added over a period of time, sometime a year plus.

I would like to thank Black Fox for pointing out there might be an issue with my thread and to thank Chris aka Cobra for clarifying the rules. I have tweaked the title to suit as I will only be showing my bird images on it. I really don't want to make it a thread about what camera what lens and what settings I used I just want to put up the images for people to enjoy. A camera is solely a tool for making images.

Not that long in the grand scheme of things. You know how it is you have a camera and take holiday snaps the kids growing up things like that. Then you just get a bit more interested in the subject. Trouble with me is I have a lot of interests I enjoy. Drawing, Woodwork, Cycling, Classic Cars, Walking, Bird watching (well wildlife watching) Swimming, so it's difficult to put a time scale on a particular subject. I grew up with wildlife and farm animals around me and I'm 62 now and had my first slr when I was in my early teens.
I just decided that I liked the shape of birds in flight. But I photograph absolutely everything.
In the grand scheme of it I'm just a happy snapper

Not that long in the grand scheme of things. You know how it is you have a camera and take holiday snaps the kids growing up things like that. Then you just get a bit more interested in the subject. Trouble with me is I have a lot of interests I enjoy. Drawing, Woodwork, Cycling, Classic Cars, Walking, Bird watching (well wildlife watching) Swimming, so it's difficult to put a time scale on a particular subject. I grew up with wildlife and farm animals around me and I'm 62 now and had my first slr when I was in my early teens.
I just decided that I liked the shape of birds in flight. But I photograph absolutely everything.
In the grand scheme of it I'm just a happy snapper
wow, do you ever sleep ???

That shot of the kingfisher is my favourite so far, just because of the tones and clarity of the image. The rest are great, though.
Did you do a bit of post processing work on that Kingfisher photo?

I ran it through topaz to give me a bigger image for printing just tweaked levels contrast saturation and added a touch of sharpening and a touch of cloning where needed and added a slight vignette.

Mr Sparrowhawk doing what mister Sparrowhawk does. In his frenzied plucking the little white feather landed on his tail. I just got extremely lucky to capture it. As the goddesses Tyche & Fortuna seem to follow me on my Journeys I can but smile on what they bestow in front of me.
(Before anyone asks no it wasn't taken at a certain hide in Scotland).PSX_20231204_103838.jpg

Last edited:
This Mornings offering.
I have a whole sequence of these shots the fish in the talons is actually alive. It wasn't floating on the surface it was just below. The kite flew in on a shallow attack path and last moment tweaked his attack his talons just entering the water to snatch his prize (this was a first, normally kites pick up the dead and dying off the surface)
Over the years I have studied many animals and birds actions by doing so you can anticipate what they are going to do next.
Add this to a fantastic autofocus system and a little bit of luck and you are almost always going to come away with some good images.PSX_20231205_090109.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with @lindsay regarding your username :D

So many super shots, it's hard to find a favourite, but I think the swan needs a special mention - such a lovely composition.

I didn't realise Red Kites would take a fish like that.
Thanks.:)
First time I have ever seen it myself. My gut feeling is because it was a warm evening the fish was close to the surface taking insects. I have seen Red Kites snatch stuff floating on the surface before. Maybe this was an occasional occurrence.
It could be this particular bird has adapted his hunting technique.
If you visit the red kite feeding centre at
Bwlch Nant yr Arian Forest Visitor Centre you will see the odd kite there snatching bits of dropped food off the water

Back