Nespresso......

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Chaps...

I'm considering getting a home coffee machine, but not considering a 2nd mortgage so 500 quid plus machines are out of the question. I'm looking towards the Nespresso range with the milk froth thing. Anyone use either the Nespresso range or even the milk froth thingy?

Whats the cappuccino output like from them?
cheers

Yep I got one and love it. Don't often use the milk frother now though. Secret is finding the right flavour for you.

I have a feeling we have a Nespresso machine in the loft. Got 2 Tassimos out and in use several times a day for coffees (lattés included), tea and hot chocolate.

Don't these pod things end up quite expensive?

Not the cheapest way to drink hot beverages but in general they're far nicer cups/mugs than instant. At the last count I think the Costa lattés I like work out at about 50p/mug. Mrs Nod's Americanos are much cheaper. We got our machines on special offers - well under 1/2 original retail.

Christ.....glad I just drink 2 Ltrs of water a day and tea!

I've got a Delonghi 850.m and it's great, was at less than half price on Amazon, can take ESE pods or ground coffee.

The Senseo pads are good because you are not tied into one supplier. Which keeps the price down. And the pads are bio-degradable. In contrast to the Nespresso aluminium capsules, that are a real waste of resources.

Last edited:
Get a decent espresso machine with a milk frother.

I have this
41DAE04VRHL.jpg

A now buy and grind my own beans too.
Most popular coffee drinks in the coffee shops are espresso based.

I worked out my Dolce Gusto coffee with a bit of whitener and sugar costs about 23p a cup, that's a 16 pod box at £3.50
I have a Senseo as well but it's stuck in a cupboard because I can't get the coffee I prefer for it, it's also a pita because it cuts off the flow way before mug size.

I have this
View attachment 66421

Yes. Or an 'automatica' that grinds the beans and does all the work. I drink espresso every morning from my Saeco machine that I've had for 20 years.

Last edited:
I think you guys missed the "don't want a second mortgage" bit in the OP :)

Nespresso make the money on the capsules. Which works out a lot more than buying a 1 kg bag of my favourite coffee beans. It all depends on how much you drink I suppose.

Last edited:
They're very good. I got 3x £25 vouchers for the pods when I bought ours. I used to geek out and grind my own beans and use in Aeropresses and other coffee machines and to be honest - I can't be @rsed any more. The Nespresso drinks are very good and I can't be bothered doing it manually for a tiny difference. Plus my wife can now make her own decent coffees..

I have this
View attachment 66421

Yeo Snap thats the exact one I have without the writing, going strong 8 years now with ground expresso bricks.

If you just want expresso don't be a mug and buy a pod based system its daylight robery and very ECO unfriendly.

Attachments

• 20160608_191724.jpg
    20160608_191724.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 46
I owned an 'proper' coffee shop/diner for nearly three years so can probably be considered a barista. My set up for coffee was silly money and I aint gonna recommend that route :) I do think the Nespresso serve up decent enough coffee if you don't mind the cost and the eco issues and you choose the pods carefully to get what you want. Coffee has a huge number of flavour profiles and often tasting very different from each other. I had one for a while.

At home I do have a '£500' machine and it pumps out very good espresso, but then I know how to use it. I won't recommend that either. It's like photography. It takes experience, skill and a certain state of mind to produce the best.

Mainly I tend to use a french press at home using fresh ground beans most days. You get quality fresh roast beans (well, five days or so post-roasting) and a decent grinder, I can even recommend a £50 one, then it'll give you way more flavour at less cost.

BUT, if you want Nespresso go for it. It's convenient and fuss free. I absolutely wouldn't use any flavoured pods or 'latte' type pods. Disgusting really. You can use a Dualit milk frother and it gives good results with zero fuss most times. There are others for maybe £10 less but the Dualit is consistent and easy.

As someone else mentioned, the money is in the pods so shop around for the machine itself. They all work the same way so no point spending a ton of cash!

Another vote for Tassimo for variety - tea, coffee (espresso, americano, latte & machiato), tea and hot chocolate. You can also get a hot water dispenser so you can only 'boil' the right amount of water and not have to worry about filling the kettle to the minimum mark - this is probably the most used for most tea during the day, or making stock etc.

If you just want espresso then I would recommend pretty much anything else instead as they'd be better.

Thanks for all the comments, :)

I have an old senseo machine which never gets used as I could never find a taste I liked, but that was a while ago. Admittedly it's sat unused for a while and my liking for coffee has only recently grown in to appreciation.
I'd love one of the gaggia or similar real coffee machines, but kitchen space and time to prepare is limited.

Ive not looked at the tassimo range, :)

Do you have a Nespresso boutique (shop) near you - pop in, you can try a coffee (or 2) for free and see if you like them.

We have one and a separate milk frother and it's great, don't drink a huge amount, so not overly expensive and very easy to produce a nice coffee.

If you buy wisely, Nespresso have offers on as a welcome offer - the one that runs around Christmas is normally about £70 credit - basically a full box of sleeves of coffees for free, think the mid year ones are slightly less

My main times for a coffee is before and after a bike ride, I'm out of the house a good deal at the moment so I can't see it replacing my love of people watching while enjoying a flat white :D

Had one for a couple of years- it's miles away from glorified instant and produces a decent cup of coffee without the hassle. Had a Gaggia before this and it never got used because of the faff. Nespresso gets used several times a week. Decent express and the milk frothier works well.

Thanks for all the comments, :)

I have an old senseo machine which never gets used as I could never find a taste I liked, but that was a while ago. Admittedly it's sat unused for a while and my liking for coffee has only recently grown in to appreciation.
I'd love one of the gaggia or similar real coffee machines, but kitchen space and time to prepare is limited.

Ive not looked at the tassimo range, :)

I've a tassimo gathering dust in a cupboard.
Deeply unimpressed.

I used to have a nespresso and liked the coffee, nearly as good as a proper machine with a nice crema. Requires a bit of experimentation with the flavours though.

However my machine broke, and we went with tassimo instead as a) machines are cheaper, b) coffee is cheaper and c) has greater variety of drinks. The weird thing is that when I'm out and about I avoid Costa and prefer Nero and Starbucks. Or even better that taxi coffee bar at Vauxhall station. Anyway the costs range with tassimo is very tasty, easy and clean.

I like it, definitely got a lot of use now I'm working from home :) saving lots of money there as well.

FWIW, the Tassimo pods can be recycled. A local RNLI station is the collection point we take ours to and they get 2p for each pod or wrapper. IIRC they all get ground down and made into plastic pallets.

Yes, proper espresso based coffees are sometimes better (not always!) but the Tassimo is far easier and more consistent.

Isn't there a clever one cup thingy that's supposed to be pretty good? Saw it on the box. Cheap as well. Can't remember what it's called. Found it. Called aeropress. £20.

Well there are always compatible pods too. Although I'll agree the quality can vary wildly from different retailers.

Isn't there a clever one cup thingy that's supposed to be pretty good? Saw it on the box. Cheap as well. Can't remember what it's called. Found it. Called aeropress. £20.

Yup, Aeropress is well respected. I used to offer it in my shop. It is more fuss than Cafetiere/French Press or V60/drip but equally worth it over a Nespresso. The winner with Nespresso and other pod systems is convenience, so I guess the questions are does someone want hassle, and there are varying degrees, and being bothered to learn/experience, and there are varying degrees of that too, or do they want ultimate ease with the cost of reduced flavour/quality and per cup cost. Everyone will differ.

Yup, Aeropress is well respected. I used to offer it in my shop. It is more fuss than Cafetiere/French Press or V60/drip but equally worth it over a Nespresso. The winner with Nespresso and other pod systems is convenience, so I guess the questions are does someone want hassle, and there are varying degrees, and being bothered to learn/experience, and there are varying degrees of that too, or do they want ultimate ease with the cost of reduced flavour/quality and per cup cost. Everyone will differ.

I love my aeropress, keep it in the office for making decent coffee at work :)

Pods = glorified instant.

Ground beans filter coffee is the only method worth plowing money in to.

In my opinion of course.
I'd have to agree. I totally get the convenience aspect but you pay dearly for an inferior product (the coffee, not the hardware). Now, if I had the room for a Gaggia machine (a real one) at home, I could be persuaded...

Last edited:
I've had both a Nespresso and a Tassimo machine in the past and for purely coffee the Nespresso was much better.

For the past 4 years though i have been solely using a simple italian style bialetti stove top maker, cheap and produces serious rocket fuel coffee.

With all pod system machines you are limited to the range of coffee's that are available for that particular system, where as with a stove top, french press or aeropress you have a whole world of coffee beans to try, get a decent grinder and you will have flavour and choice that the pod systems just cannot match.

This reminds me of the JPG vs RAW argument!
Yes, RAW is better if you have time, skills and inclination but the difference isn't necessarily massive, especially with modern machines like Nespresso ....

I've a tassimo gathering dust in a cupboard.
Deeply unimpressed.
Its a Tassio, can't say I'm surprised.
The Senseo pads are good because you are not tied into one supplier. Which keeps the price down. And the pads are bio-degradable. In contrast to the Nespresso aluminium capsules, that are a real waste of resources.
Recyclable, they used to pick my used up.
Pods = glorified instant.

Ground beans filter coffee is the only method worth plowing money in to.

In my opinion of course.
Coffee snobs :D Some people aren't happy unless their beans come from an animals @rse :)

I had one for a couple of years, there very convenient but not quite as good as an espresso machine, but definitely the best pod machine. I almost bought a new one after xmas as it was on offer in curry's but so was the expresso machine I have now :) Pods range from about 30-40p

Last edited:
Back