New Canon 1D mkIV to be announced soon? - *NOW OUT*

Erm....why are there so many complaints about the £4.5k? Let look at some recent bodies

5D Mk2 RRP = £2690 Internet price = £1800-1900
50D RRP = £1110 Internet price = £750

The 7D is still close to RRP though......so if the extra spec's could increase your income (or make life easier) then you'll pay the 500-1K premium now, otherwise you can just hang onto the Mk3 for another year or whatever.

Erm....why are there so many complaints about the £4.5k? Let look at some recent bodies

5D Mk2 RRP = £2690 Internet price = £1800-1900
50D RRP = £1110 Internet price = £750

The 7D is still close to RRP though......so if the extra spec's could increase your income (or make life easier) then you'll pay the 500-1K premium now, otherwise you can just hang onto the Mk3 for another year or whatever.

7D can be had for £1300 - £1400 in the UK

Now this is interesting - a post on another forum from a sports tog at a football match (probably CL):

'Well...i'm at a football match, in the press room and as expected the talk amongst the togs is the mkIV. There's 20 floating around in the UK and it sounds like I'll get a chance to try one before general release in Dec. They're doing the rounds at all the major agencies and we're in line to get one for a bit.

I'll let you all know how it is...however...

It probably wont be at a football match. FIFA are likely to release a technical document within the next few weeks re-iterating that cameras which have video enabled (ie. the mkIV and the D3s) are prohibited for all major FIFA tournaments and qualifiers. It is expected that the FA or Football Data Co will also re-release technical documents re-iterating its prohibition of video enabled cameras or the transmission of "quick succession consecutive stills which can be broadcast as video".

Canon may have really dropped a clanger on this...as currently Nikon users have the option of 2 bodies (the D3 and D3s), one of which is not video enabled. Canon users (the pro users) will have the option of the mkIV with current technology but in all probability prohibited for the World Cup etc. or the mkIII without the video, but without a number of other innovations too.'

The mk3s rrp was 3000 and it couldnt be had for less for nearly 2 years. (all you could do was get things chucked in like spare batteries, extra mem cards etc)
I give the mk4 6 months selling at 4500 till Canon realise mk3 owners are not upgrading due to the cost and the demand isnt as high as expectations and the price will come down.
(I hope!)

There are some features I like, others I'm not so bothered about. But £4500?
It's not worth that much to me, not a chance.

The mk3s rrp was 3000 and it couldnt be had for less for nearly 2 years. (all you could do was get things chucked in like spare batteries, extra mem cards etc)
I give the mk4 6 months selling at 4500 till Canon realise mk3 owners are not upgrading due to the cost and the demand isnt as high as expectations and the price will come down.
(I hope!)

Nah, I got mine not long after they came out for a good bit less than that :) The MkIV will drop as well but considering where it's starting I can't see it replacing too many MkII's or MkIII's initially.

This time I think it's the marketing guys who've got it wrong rather than the techs.

Im sure they will blame the weak pound which is definately a part of the price hike but surely its not caused that much of a jump.
hmmm Saying that though I bought an amp at beginning of the year which two days later went from 1000 to 1500 due to the stronger asian market and weak british market.
so times that by 3 and that is a 1500 increase for a 3k piece of equipment ..:(. oh bugger.

7D can be had for £1300 - £1400 in the UK

Not that I can find...

The ££ is currently about 15% below the Yen compared to what is was a year ago which seems to be right looking at the price of lenses but add 15% to the MKiii (even its RRP) still does not get anywhere near £4.5k and having looked at the specs on dpreview I am not sure what I am getting for the extra ££££:shrug:

Now this is interesting - a post on another forum from a sports tog at a football match (probably CL):

'Well...i'm at a football match, in the press room and as expected the talk amongst the togs is the mkIV. There's 20 floating around in the UK and it sounds like I'll get a chance to try one before general release in Dec. They're doing the rounds at all the major agencies and we're in line to get one for a bit.

I'll let you all know how it is...however...

It probably wont be at a football match. FIFA are likely to release a technical document within the next few weeks re-iterating that cameras which have video enabled (ie. the mkIV and the D3s) are prohibited for all major FIFA tournaments and qualifiers. It is expected that the FA or Football Data Co will also re-release technical documents re-iterating its prohibition of video enabled cameras or the transmission of "quick succession consecutive stills which can be broadcast as video".

Canon may have really dropped a clanger on this...as currently Nikon users have the option of 2 bodies (the D3 and D3s), one of which is not video enabled. Canon users (the pro users) will have the option of the mkIV with current technology but in all probability prohibited for the World Cup etc. or the mkIII without the video, but without a number of other innovations too.'

That's a big mistake by both Canon and Nikon imo. I am sure they did do their research regarding this but still decided to release cameras with video functionality.

I can understand video on consumer level cameras as a gimmick and marketing, but most of the pros do not look at the video function when they are choosing their camera (as far as I know :)). Why would they buy this camera if they will not be allowed to use it at the sporting events...

It'll be interesting to see what will end up happening though.. :shrug:

the sports tog stuff is really interesting, presumably a MkIV-crippled will follow with no video mode almost immediately?

Firmware disabling it option I reckon.
Especially as the hardware video switch thats onthe 7d has gone.
Or maybe they will just make the photographers sign something saying purely photographic.
Im sure the pro sports photographers wouldnt want to risk losing their media passes.

Just back from Sheff Wed Vs PNE and got chatting to one of the other Togs. One of the guys who's been testing the MKIV has now put all his canon gear up for sale and is switching to nikon

I would love to hear Canon explain the UK pricing, if we to a conversion at today's rates.

453,515.71 JPY = 4,998.5764 USD
Japan Yen United States Dollars

453,515.71 JPY = 3,052.9072 GBP
Japan Yen United Kingdom Pounds

I would love to hear Canon explain the UK pricing, if we to a conversion at today's rates.

453,515.71 JPY = 4,998.5764 USD
Japan Yen United States Dollars

453,515.71 JPY = 3,052.9072 GBP
Japan Yen United Kingdom Pounds

Dont forget another £450 ish for VAT, that gets us to £3500 ish, still a big difference.

Just seen it on Jessops, £4499 with a bunch of goodies.

Maybe one day :LOL:

Just seen it on Jessops, £4499 with a bunch of goodies.

Maybe one day :LOL:

Now looking at that I would think it will drop below £4000 VERY quickly, as the Jessops price includes 580EX Mark II Flashgun at £370 and an Sandisk Extreme 8GB Compact Flash Card around £55 and a bag. So were down to £4075 already for body only

I can't help being mildly disappointed by the MkIV, but I'm not sure why. Compared to the utterly wonderful Nikon D3, it looks like image quality will be at least as good, perhaps better at high ISO, it frames faster, it has the most amazing AF system, plus the major distinguishing feature of 1.3x crop which I'm guessing most sports/news photographers will see as an advantage.

That is surely true state of the art. What else could they possibly do to it that would really excite? Maybe we've all become a little blaze about technological developments. Turn the clock back just a few years and what this camera offers would be quite incredible, now it just seems like a minor tweak.

The HD video is interesting too, my guess is that it's a feature quite a few pros must have been asking for. I think I can see why with web/TV news taking more and more readers away from print media. The alleged ban from some sporting events is just a red herring, or are they going to ban all mobile phones too? They will just ask acredited photographers to sign an agreement, on pain of a ban, not ban their cameras. I can see this kind of feature really taking off, not that I will ever want it, but I can see the commercial appeal.

We have this argument about the price every time anything new is released. Of course it's going to be pitched high. And if you want one from the first batch, that's what you'll pay. Canon will price it as high as they can for as long as they dare (probably not long). I can't see an extra grand or so stopping many pros from buying one, bearing in mind their total kit probably costs several tens of thousands. If it also opens up a potential new revenue stream, they will surely be queuing up.

I'm very happy with the prospect of a 7D next year though :)

Not that I can find...

The ££ is currently about 15% below the Yen compared to what is was a year ago which seems to be right looking at the price of lenses but add 15% to the MKiii (even its RRP) still does not get anywhere near £4.5k and having looked at the specs on dpreview I am not sure what I am getting for the extra ££££:shrug:

You are not looking hard enough :)

£1399.98 here
http://www.yorkcameramart.co.uk/

and
£1299.99 here
http://www.rgb-photo.co.uk/:clap:

Another http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=544
Oh and look at the advert above at the top of the page..... :)

Or do as I do and speak to Kerso on here and he can source one for a great price too more reliable than any shop I know and a personal service from a great guy - in itself worth a fair bit!

Just back from Sheff Wed Vs PNE and got chatting to one of the other Togs. One of the guys who's been testing the MKIV has now put all his canon gear up for sale and is switching to nikon

you cant really tell us that without adding why he's doing it?

for all we know from that it could just be down to the smell of the thing..

:shrug:

I wasn't too pleased when I saw the price either, as I'll be looking to buy a 1 series of some description in 2010.

Seen the first prices for pre-order over here today, and it's around £3,500. Unusual as Aussie prices are typically very similar to the UK. I won't be complaining though.

So looks like you all need to book a Christmas break down-under, or to the States. ;)

the iso these cams are producing is rediculous, from what i have seen on cnet the isos are actually unusable, even so i dont see the point.
i think they have run out of things to have a war over, megapixels, now iso so what are they really left with to make new cameras.

i think the technology has peeked now.

i dont think i would be getting this, looks like an awful waste of money.

Be interested to hear more about why he's doing that.

the iso these cams are producing is rediculous, from what i have seen on cnet the isos are actually unusable, even so i dont see the point.

For a sports and nature photographers shooting in low light with long zooms, ISO is king.

Another example would be for wedding photographers who only shoot with natural light in a dark church.

Am sure many others would also appreciate it.

What's the deal with the battery life? Cnet lists it as 1,500 shots compared to 4,300 for the D3s. (And 2,200 for the 1D mkiii).

Is that not a pretty huge difference?

Do current mk iii users think 2,200 is about right when used in real life?
Depends on what im doing but I can get a lot more than 2,200 with my mk3.

I can confirm that I get >2000 from a fully charged battery

For a sports and nature photographers shooting in low light with long zooms, ISO is king.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For sports, yes. But for nature, generally if it is that dark that you need to go above somewhere in the range from ISO 800-1600, you will struggle to get anything beyond a record shot. Most publishable nature shots need good light and to be aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For sports, yes. But for nature, generally if it is that dark that you need to go above somewhere in the range from ISO 800-1600, you will struggle to get anything beyond a record shot. Most publishable nature shots need good light and to be aesthetically pleasing.

surely that's the point though, the improved light capture means that you can use a higher ISO than previously for the same level of noise?

For me the mkIV is a serious contender as I never upgraded from the mkII and the Higher ISO and 16MP means its a potential shot saver for dealing with dark churches where the vicar won't let me anywhere near the altar

I'll still wait to see if the price drops before the start of next season though!

I have no knowledge of weddings. My point was around nature photography, which to be successful commercially, generally has to offer more than capturing the moment. Shooting in near darkness outdoors generally gives very flat light which will make it hard to get an artistic shot. Good light is a different commodity to amount of light.

What's the deal with the battery life? Cnet lists it as 1,500 shots compared to 4,300 for the D3s. (And 2,200 for the 1D mkiii).

Is that not a pretty huge difference?

Do current mk iii users think 2,200 is about right when used in real life?

To be fair, the Mk1V has a huge increase in pixels of 6 million-in fact 60% over the previous model while still retaining the previous frame rate of 10 frames per second which is some pretty phenomenal processing power and a bigger drain on the battery. The pixel increase in the camera, is a tremendous increase in it's cropping abilities.

I think perhaps too much was expected of this camera and it's suffereing from comparisons with the 7D.The body would probably have needed a complete redesign to incorporate everything from the 7D. Having said that, where's the dedicated live view button and the dedicated video button? Surely that's just a case of placement of two new buttons or one button for both functions as in the 7D.

The launch price isn't helping either, but I'm sure as others have said, a lot of that is down the current exchange rate with the yen

Yup, all fair enough. I was more looking at the 1,500 versus 4,300 quoted for the Nikon. 4 million pixels more, and 1 fps more, versus almost 3 times as many shots.

Ah ... right. Fair comment I suppose. When youi switchin then? :D

No chance. :D I'll buy an extra battery before I grow the extra fingers I need to work a Nikon.
LOL. I was playing with a D3 the other day in PC World of all places, nice camera it has to be said, and it looks the poodles privates, but I didn't find the controls as intuitive as Canon's, but it's what you get used to I suppose.

I wasn't tempted despite the best efforts of the Nikon rep. I'm a happy Canon user anyway, but with my investment in Canon lenses, I'd need a mortgage to make the swap!

i think they have run out of things to have a war over, megapixels, now iso so what are they really left with to make new cameras.

i think the technology has peeked now.

i dont think i would be getting this, looks like an awful waste of money.

A couple of points - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3S/D3SA7.HTM

Might make you change your mind.

Secondly - I'll wager you don't make your living from photography?

Back