New Canon 1D mkIV to be announced soon? - *NOW OUT*

I have just read this thread out of interest. It would take Canon a day or two to remove the video capabilities from the firmware and they could produce a "P" for photographer variant. It would be no sense not to.

I have just read this thread out of interest. It would take Canon a day or two to remove the video capabilities from the firmware and they could produce a "P" for photographer variant. It would be no sense not to.

absoloutly.. its not like it would harm the camera nobbling the video...and as a big portion of its functionality is removed then surely a price drop for the none video version:)

absoloutly.. its not like it would harm the camera nobbling the video...and as a big portion of its functionality is removed then surely a price drop for the none video version:)

Nope, they would probably increase the cost because the hardware is still the same, the R&D was still the same and everything else will be.

And a "S" variant for the video suckers :)

Seems insane to remove a big chunk of their prospective purchasers and just as insane to have not reached this conclusion already!! Bit like the ratners chap saying all their stuff was carp - stupido.

I think if I had one I'd be more than happy :D

Having said that, I'd break that down into:

Pluses:

10fps pro body
What sounds like a very good focus system (which to be fair, if the mkIII hadn't had the gremlins, the MkIII was fine)
Lush ISO range, oh yes
APS-H sized sensor (really, *still* the best compromise for action togs)

Minuses:

Canon's addiction to crippling you if you don't have f2.8 glass - and I don't mean kit lens %$£"
That stupid, stupid video thing which is going to cause all sorts of rights issues to flare up in sports media coverage - yes I know Nikon have done it too, but Canon, you could have showed you cared here and won a lot of folk back

Overall, I'd like one still, but only if someone else was paying.

I don't think i'll be getting one, In fact its likely i'll be shooting Nikon very soon..............

The video at FA etc games really isn't an issue, as any photographer wouldn't risk loosing his licence just to earn a few extra quid by selling the unauthorised footage.

The video at FA etc games really isn't an issue, as any photographer wouldn't risk loosing his licence just to earn a few extra quid by selling the unauthorised footage.

Its not about selling video footage, as i don't think it would happen. The problem is that we are licensed as Stills photographer not videographers and there have already been guys refused entry to FL grounds for having a 5D MKII

I understand exactly what you mean Andy, but given the way things are going I suspect they are just going to have to handle it by getting you to sign a piece of paper (if they don't already - most of the motorsport stuff I do I already sign to say I am not going to make audio or video recordings).

Its either that or a piece of paper which says "thou shalt not have a camera newer than 2008", because Canon here have closed the last door on camera bodies likely to be used by sports media... Nikon already having done so!

not read this thread completely but surely canon thought about all these infringements regarding video at sporting events etc.. & have already asked pro toggers or the people in the know, surely they haven't just shot them self's in the foot??

It all comes down to different licenses that Stills photographers and the Picture agencies have, Im pretty sure that the TV companies pay far more for licenses that the picture agencies.

It will be interesting to see what happens but for Canon to keep the remaining Sports photographers they'll have to pull their fingers out PDQ as they're loosing ground quickly.

As an example at the game yesterday there were 8 photographers and only 2 (including me) were shooting Canon.

I don't understand why you think Nikon have the edge Andy. The D3S already offers video and once the D3 stocks are gone, they will be gone. So will we see the touchline filled with Olympus E3s?

I don't understand why you think Nikon have the edge Andy. The D3S already offers video and once the D3 stocks are gone, they will be gone. So will we see the touchline filled with Olympus E3s?

Talking to Nikon today (about changing to them) they are not discontinuing the D3 they are running the D3 and D3s together.

I keep seeing pre order deals with extra lens and mem card and stuff for 4,499 that sort of price.. Anyone seen any for sale without any add ons.. just the body for a bit less?

I keep seeing pre order deals with extra lens and mem card and stuff for 4,499 that sort of price.. Anyone seen any for sale without any add ons.. just the body for a bit less?

Mathers of Lancashire are advertising at about £3900 :)

tis tempting me..................but i reckon i'll leave it until i've seen some real world shots and spoken to other sports tog using them. Plus it'll leave me more time to save up and for the prices to drop and steady off. im expecting it to drop to the 3k mark (crosses fingers :))

Never heard of them before.. thats the sorta price i want... have you used them at all phil? still interested in the mk3 as its going to be available in a few weeks with a bit of luck :)

tis tempting me..................but i reckon i'll leave it until i've seen some real world shots and spoken to other sports tog using them. Plus it'll leave me more time to save up and for the prices to drop and steady off. im expecting it to drop to the 3k mark (crosses fingers :))

Same here, not going to pay over the odds to be an early adopter! I'll leave it until at least Easter time before I think about handing over any cash :) That should give enough time for any problems to surface too... :cautious:

Never heard of them before.. thats the sorta price i want... have you used them at all phil? still interested in the mk3 as its going to be available in a few weeks with a bit of luck :)

Not personally but there is some feedback from another member here :)

Yes definitely still interested in the MK3! :)

Same here, not going to pay over the odds to be an early adopter! I'll leave it until at least Easter time before I think about handing over any cash :) That should give enough time for any problems to surface too... :cautious:

Same line of thinking as me Phil, don't want to fork out over 7K if it has any reliability issues. I think by June/July we'll have a good indication of where it sits, then hit next season with a couple of MKIV'S and a MKIII behind the goals :)

Same line of thinking as me Phil, don't want to fork out over 7K if it has any reliability issues. I think by June/July we'll have a good indication of where it sits, then hit next season with a couple of MKIV'S and a MKIII behind the goals :)

I wonder if we can get a bulk discount ;)

Looks like they are about £3000 in New York.:D im gettint tempted, so my mk3 will be going soon.

Back